Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 03-11-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
pantherfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Just a thought:

If LaRon Landry is available at #14, should we attempt to make a deal with New England? New England trades their two first-round draft picks to move up and draft Rodney Harrison's eventual or perhaps immediate replacement.

We sit at #24 and #28 and draft Greg Olsen and Michael Griffin, two guys that would be immediate starters and immediate impact players at positions of need.
I'd definitely make that move. And if Griffin is unavailable, take Willis. That trade would make a lot of sense, JustJoe2k5.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Signed some depth at defensive tackle and linebacker.

Quote:
The Carolina Panthers have signed free agent linebacker Terrence Melton and free agent defensive tackle Stephen Williams, the team announced Friday.

In three NFL seasons with Atlanta and New Orleans, Melton, 30, has played in 34 games with two starts and has posted 26 tackles, one pass defensed and 27 special teams stops. He appeared in 16 games, primarily on special teams, for the Saints in 2006 and tied for the team lead with 16 special teams tackles in addition to contributing five tackles on defense.

Following two seasons in the Arena Football League and two years in the Canadian Football League, Melton (6-1, 235 pounds) signed as a free agent with Atlanta in 2004. He spent time on the Falcons active roster and practice squad before being signed by New Orleans late in the campaign. In 2005, Melton appeared in 15 games with two starts for the Saints and produced 21 tackles.

Melton became a free agent when he was not tendered a qualifying offer, which would have made him a restricted free agent, from New Orleans. He played defensive end in college at Rice University, where he collected 94 tackles and eight sacks.

Williams, 25, split the 2006 season between Kansas City's active roster and practice squad after being signed as an undrafted rookie free agent from Northwest Missouri State. He saw action in 11 games and notched seven tackles and one fumble recovery. Williams (6-2, 306 pounds) was waived by the Chiefs in February.
Sounds like Melton will be our replacement for Vinny Ciurciu on special teams and Williams could find time in our defensive tackle rotation.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:42 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yas's blog notes there's a rumor we're looking at WR @ 14. Wouldn't be the brightest move to me, but I can understand it. Drew Carter is poised to "break out" every year yet still hasn't, plus he's a FA next year. And with Key possibly retiring soon, we're thinner at WR than some would think

Thin enough to take a 1st round WR? Not in my opinion. If we do go that path, I want Meachem though I'm guessing the Panthers are looking to kill two birds with one stone and pick up Ginn
Old 03-17-2007, 09:56 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would make a move for Brandon Stokely. He and Jake Delhomme played together in college and were a very productive duo their two years there. If any wide receiver will succeed on our team, they'll need to have some sort of chemistry with Delhomme.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:21 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey Panther fans new "fantasy offseason-type" game starting up
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ead.php?t=4174

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Yas's blog notes there's a rumor we're looking at WR @ 14. Wouldn't be the brightest move to me, but I can understand it. Drew Carter is poised to "break out" every year yet still hasn't, plus he's a FA next year. And with Key possibly retiring soon, we're thinner at WR than some would think

Thin enough to take a 1st round WR? Not in my opinion. If we do go that path, I want Meachem though I'm guessing the Panthers are looking to kill two birds with one stone and pick up Ginn
I wouldn't mind us taking someone in the second like Sidney Rice, if he took a tumble, but with our first rounder. I'd be physically ill.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey join the draft game
we only need like 6 more teams and we need the panthers
Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Chris Draft signed with the Rams, so linebacker may have just become a first-round need again.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Chris Draft signed with the Rams, so linebacker may have just become a first-round need again.
Not really, the team expected him to sign somewhere else.

We did sign someone, probably a back up. We still have Seward
Old 03-24-2007, 07:23 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Funny stuff on News 14 Carolina.

"Today the Carolina Panthers agreed to terms with restricted free agent defensive end Dave Ball. For those wondering who Ball is...so are we."

I suppose that has been the feeling about most of our free agent signings thus far.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5 : 03-25-2007 at 10:14 AM.
JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All Special Teamers imo. They're all "highly motivated" athletes.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Hooray for more back-ups!

safety Deke Cooper
defensive end Dave Ball
cornerback Curtis Deloatch
defensive tackle Chad Lavalais
Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Seems like everyone on ESPN has jumped off the Panthers' bandwagon, which likely means we'll have a 11-5 or 12-4 season. Our front office is probably pretty happy that we're finally underdogs again.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Seems like everyone on ESPN has jumped off the Panthers' bandwagon, which likely means we'll have a 11-5 or 12-4 season. Our front office is probably pretty happy that we're finally underdogs again.

Which if true is pathetic, because motivating teams that lose is easier than getting a team to go out if they are used to winning.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Which if true is pathetic, because motivating teams that lose is easier than getting a team to go out if they are used to winning.
Like Rocky Marceno once said, its harder to run three miles in the snow at 5am wearing silk boxers than it is to do it hungry.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Fox says the Panthers are switching to the ZBS...AND Harrington and Carr have visits scheduled.

Not sure if they're currently being discussed...thought ya'll might enjoy some "new" news if not.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hear we're looking at Eric Moulds and Louis Lipps...

Not that exciting, though Moulds used to be a name. Honestly, Id rather talk Proehl out of retirement if we go that route, though I guess they cut ties after last year :(
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I'd support the switch to the ZBS.

I think DeShaun Foster could excel in the ZBS.

DeAngelo Williams could be productive behind an offensive line made up of high school cheerleaders, so the ZBS can only help him.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
I hear we're looking at Eric Moulds and Louis Lipps...

Not that exciting, though Moulds used to be a name. Honestly, Id rather talk Proehl out of retirement if we go that route, though I guess they cut ties after last year :(
Eric Moulds? I suppose he would be on speed-dial in case Keyshawn suddenly decided to retire. I don't think we need another wide receiver if Keyshawn does return, they were the least of our worries last season.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

ESPN predicts Greg Olsen. Normally it would be tough for fans to get excited about a tight end, but I can't help but get excited everytime I see highlights of Olsen.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 AM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Now that David Carr has signed, that eliminates the need for a backup in the draft. More chances to grab a couple safeties, MLB, TE, DE, RET
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Gantt article that brings some reason to the activity latetly. I like the idea, especially with Landry and Willis seemingly out of reach at 14 now. We could end up with three of Griffin, Weddle, Meriweather, Harris, Siler, Bishop instead of just Nelson/Griffin and a LB later. Then in the third take Spaeth, Zach Miller, or wait another round for Johnny Harline. Overall, not a bad plan. Question I have is, if we ditch Jenkins...what goes on at the other DT spot next to Maake? If Okoye falls I wouldnt be opposed to taking him. Carstens/Lewis would be a good rotation but both have their limitations

More draft picks sought
By Darin Gantt The Herald - Updated 04/07/07 - 11:18 PM
CHARLOTTE -- All offseason, the Carolina Panthers have talked about how this offseason was going to be slow -- and it's because future ones won't. That's why they're spending carefully when at all on free agents, and considering other moves to add cheaper labor to maintain a delicate roster balance in years to come.
With defensive end Julius Peppers, wide receiver Steve Smith and tackles Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton poised to cash in on new deals, the Panthers need to counter by adding to the lower ends of the salary scale as well. That means they need multiple draft picks to be contributors the next few years, since rookie contracts are significantly cheaper than what free agents are raking in.

Gross and Wharton will be free agents at the end of the 2007 season, while Peppers is under contract through 2008 and Smith through 2009. But Smith and Peppers are the priorities to keep, and there are no indications the team plans to do anything but pay them.

But for every pile of cash they have to throw at one of the current players, they need to add someone at a more reasonable rate.

Put simply, the goal is to add draft picks. They have seven total this year (one in each round), and are said to be looking for extra seconds and thirds in particular, since several scouts around the league have indicated there's abundant value in that range this year.

And since second-round wages top out around $1.25 million per year for four years and quickly get below $1 million a year as you get deeper in the round, that's the kind of price-control the Panthers need.

There has been talk around the league that if a specific few players aren't there when they're on the clock with the 14th overall pick, the Panthers would consider bailing out for more picks later in the draft.

That also dovetails with reports the team's shopping defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, who can be a force when properly motivated, but frustrates the team with his inconsistency and concerns them with his injury history.

Jenkins is under contract through 2009 as well, but according to several personnel sources through the league could be had for a first-day draft pick.

With Maake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis, the Panthers would have a perfectly fine set of interior starters, though they'd need to add depth. They currently have Jordan Carstens, Chad Lavalais and Steve Williams under contract, and they could still bring back free agent Kindal Moorehead.

MORE CAP ROOM: The Panthers recently restructured the contract of running back DeShaun Foster, taking his base salary from $4.25 million to $750,000.

The move gives them around $1.75 million in addition cap room this year, room they can use to absorb a trade of Jenkins or make additional moves.

The Panthers are excited about their depth at running back this year, and think some changes to the offensive scheme will benefit Foster and DeAngelo Williams greatly.

Both have excellent cut-back ability, and with a new zone blocking scheme in place, there should be more potential for big plays for the two of them.

MAKING HISTORY: With last week's addition of backup quarterback David Carr, the Panthers became the first team in eight years to own the first and second overall picks from a draft at the same time.

The last time a team had the top two was from 1997-99, when the Raiders had defensive tackle Russell Maryland and safety Eric Turner, who were the first choices in the 1991 draft.

Prior to that, there were two cases of a team owning the top two picks at the time of that year's selections.

Indianapolis held the first two in 1992 after swindling the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. On July 31, 1990, the Bucs traded a future first-rounder to the Colts for quarterback Chris Chandler (who was 0-6 as a starter there) and was gone before the 1992 draft commenced.

Of course, the Colts didn't exactly capitalize, taking the forgettable Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt with the top two picks. (The Los Angeles Rams chose Sean Gilbert with the third overall pick, and it would be six years before he'd become the Panthers' albatross.)

Prior to that, the last time a team employed the top two was in 1958. The Chicago Cardinals had the first two picks in the draft that year, their own plus a "lottery bonus pick" with which they selected Rice quarterback King Hill. Then they used the "first" pick in the draft on Texas A&M back John David Crow.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:07 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I'd try and deal back with New England.

Use one of the additional first-round picks to trade back and acquire extra second-round and third-round picks.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Yeah, but for New England to get our 14th overall they'd need to give us both their first rounders.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Yeah, but for New England to get our 14th overall they'd need to give us both their first rounders.
That was the idea. Keep one first-round pick and use the other to trade back and acquire more picks. I'd love for it to happen and if LaRon Landry is available at #14 it becomes alot more likely to happen.