Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 04-29-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and Tim Shaw. I wasn't buying into his hype, but picking up someone with his speed this late is nice
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rosario seems like a Chris Cooley type h-back.

Tim Shaw, a LB.

still no safety. Is their something wrong with having athleticism at that position?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Unless we intend to make some type of trade, I just don't see how we could find any safety in the seventh-round with any value.

We can only hope that John Wendling or Michael Johnson continues to fall.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's cool man. I'm working out to try out for safety. Looks like Okoye won't be the only 19 year old in the NFL next year.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Unless we intend to make some type of trade, I just don't see how we could find any safety in the seventh-round with any value.

We can only hope that John Wendling or Michael Johnson continues to fall.
New England will probably take him.

We are screwed. We don't have a 6th. Why did we take a tweener, when Wendling is right there?

Maybe we can get someone like the Jets or NE to take Wendling for us and trade for Shaw, who would be better in a 3-4.

Last edited by ShutDwn : 04-29-2007 at 02:36 PM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

their goes wendling to the Bills.

Way to go guys. pick up a worthless Hback, instead of something we need. WE ALREADY HAVE 4 BACKS WHO CAN CATCH THE FOOTBALL.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

All could be forgiven if we get Michael Johnson in the seventh-round.

Perhaps they have a verbal commitment from Shaun Williams that he'll return?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

We have no one for the future at all.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

There are still some "potential players" on the board in Brandon Sharp and Michael Johnson.

Someone that just caught my eye is Ohio State's Brandon Mitchell (6'3", 205 lbs., 4.49 in the 40-yard dash). NFL.com projects him to either safety position in the NFL and his NFL comparison is Shaun Williams.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Any chance we move one of our cornerbacks to safety? Perhaps Chris Gamble? I think Gamble would be solid in a position where he can keep the play in front of him. He has already shown the ability to be a ball-hawk and Richard Marshall has played his way into a starter.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

We've taken two linebackers already, could we possibly consider a move to put Thomas Davis back at safety?

I'm just trying to come up with ANY type of excuse as to why we haven't taken a safety yet.

This is like in the '05 draft, when EVERYONE thought we would address wide receiver early and often. That year we took two safeties and zero wide receivers, this year we have taken two wide receivers and zero safeties.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5 : 04-29-2007 at 04:44 PM.
JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

C.J. Wilson -- cornerback/free safety
Old 04-29-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

C.J Wilson Compares To: C.C. Brown, Houston Texans … Like Brown, this collegiate cornerback will have to shift to safety at the pro level, as he lacks the timed speed to cover the speedy receivers on deep routes … Wilson shows the natural hands and timing to pick off the pass and is a decent tackler in run force … He just lacks the quickness you want in a cover corner and does not have the strength to reroute in press coverage.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

well, I think he is more than training camp fodder. I think I can finally feel satisfied with the draft.

The more I look back, I like the Kalil pick a lot, he could be a center piece for a while. Beason chose #52, hopefully he plays as well as that one guy from the U who wears #52.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.

Well the Panthers draft is over and Michael Johnson fell till 2 picks before us. Overall I was very pleased with Day 1, but Day 2 I was very displeased with most of the picks.

1(25)-Jon Beason, OLB, Miami: Very good trade. I feel we were looking Olsen or Beason at #14 and had our choice at #25. So we got a 2nd Round pick for free basically which turned out to be Kalil. This guy is a high energy player who hits very hard. A little undersized but will be a good player for us. Has good as our draft was I feel that this guy will be the 4th best player we drafted by the end of their careers, which is not taking away from how good Beason will be has we had a A+ 1st Round. NFL Comparison-Lance Briggs, DeMeco Ryans.

2(45)-Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC: Great pick, being he's a good friend of my favorite player (Keyshawn Johnson) I was exicited. Jarrett is just like Keyshawn except for the blocking ability, which Keyshawn will help him on. Will learn from Keyshawn for his last 1-2 years and then will team with Steve Smith has one of the best 1-2 WR combos in the NFL. I think he will turn out to be the best player we drafted at the end of their careers. NFL Comparison-Plaxico Burress, J.J. Stokes

2(59)-Ryan Kalil, C, USC: Another pick I was excited about, manily because he will be able to start from day 1 and contribute at C or OG. How he fell this far I don't know. GREAT PICK. I think he's the 2nd best players we drafted. NFL Comparison-Olin Kreutz, Casey Wiegmann

3(83)-Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia: Again how did this guy fall this far. I had this guy higher on my board talent wise than Beason. Great pickup and I feel will team with Julius Peppers has a great DE combo when Rucker is through. I think this is the 3rd best player we drafted. NFL Comparison-Derrick Burgess, Luis Castillo

4(118)-Ryne Robinson, WR, Miami (Ohio): Horrible pick. This is the worst player we picked. Decent return man (which we need), but he is very small and only runs a 4.5 40, which is not very good for his size. Very upset with this pick plenty of better players or need players available at this point. I think he lasts 1-2 years in the NFL and will have the worst career of the players we picked. NFL Comparison-Dante Hall (With less speed)

5(155)-Dante Rosario, TE, Oregon: Kind of 50-50 on this pick. HELLO BEN PATRICK WAS AVAILABLE!!! Although this guy is versitle has he can play TE or FB and is a good special teams player. Doesn't have good size so I think this is the 2nd worst player we chose and I don't see Rosario lasting much longer than Robinson. NFL Comparison-Owen Daniels

5(164)-Tim Shaw, OLB, Penn State: Decent Pick, being a Big Ten guy I saw a lot of this guy throughout his career. Very tough LB that will never quit on you but doesn't have a lot of experience at LB has he played RB, LB, and DE in college. I think he's the 5th best player we picked. NFL Comparison-David Thornton.

7(226)-C.J. Wilson, CB, Baylor:Good value for the 7th Round, but dang would we of loved Michael Johnson to fall here has everyone was screaming for a S all draft long. He had more value than C.J. but for the 7th round this guy was a fairly good pick. Wilson had good awareness and plays well in Cover 2, but doesn't have great speed for a 196 pound CB 4.62 40. 6th best player out of the 8 we drafted in my judgement. NFL Comparison-Carlos Rogers.
simmy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Wilson will be a Safety, not a corner.

Overall, I think we got huge talent in the first day. All four guys have a chance to be leaders of their positions. Along with Pep and Smith of course.

Beason is a smart guy, who can play any of the positions and I really think he is going to be better than we think. I hope he gets his chance in the middle. Anderson, Beason and Davis would make a very fast LB group.

I hope Johnson is able to become a guy who can be the speed rushing compliment to Peppers. He seems as though he fits the bill pretty well.

What about Kalil, will he stay at Center or move? I kind of hope he stays.

Oh, and can anyone imagine what we can now do with our 4 WR sets? Smith and Carter on the outside, Keyshawn and Jarrett running inside? Perfect.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

The pressure will be on our offensive line this season. They need to give Jake Delhomme the time to look for all of his new weapons.

Dwayne Jarrett should certainly make an immediate impact on third-down and in the red-zone.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
well, I think he is more than training camp fodder. I think I can finally feel satisfied with the draft.

The more I look back, I like the Kalil pick a lot, he could be a center piece for a while. Beason chose #52, hopefully he plays as well as that one guy from the U who wears #52.
ESPN brought up that certain #52's name when they talked about Jon Beason. Ray Lewis was picked #26 overall in his draft, we chose Beason at #25.

Ray Lewis:
6'1"
250 lbs.

Jon Beason:
6'0"
237 lbs.

If Beason is half the player Lewis is, I'll be very happy.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Dwayne Jarrett with #82, sucks that he couldn't stick with #8.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
ESPN brought up that certain #52's name when they talked about Jon Beason. Ray Lewis was picked #26 overall in his draft, we chose Beason at #25.

Ray Lewis:
6'1"
250 lbs.

Jon Beason:
6'0"
237 lbs.

If Beason is half the player Lewis is, I'll be very happy.
Yeah. I hope he plays in the middle, Morgan won't be around much longer. Beason seems like a very smart player, with good size and is fast. He was one of the players trying to break up the brawl I heard.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Yeah, they showed video of the brawl when Brandon Meriweather was selected. Jon Beason was standing near the sideline with the coaches, probably didn't believe what he was seeing.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

FirstAndGoal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think our O line could be very good this year. If Wharton doesn't get injured hes pretty good, Gross is great when he plays right tackle and not left tackle, Whale is solid, and then Hartwig could move to guard and Kalil could take center. I think this could be the most improved part of our team next year barring another injury. I think the main problem last year wasn't pass protection but run blocking. If our ZBS is anything like Denver's we should be good.

Sig by DLS42
FirstAndGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Pretty funny video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd0ToNwccl4

Will Ferrell works out Ryan Kalil.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sure wish we had drafted a safety earlier on.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

We signed two undrafted free agent safeties, Quinton Teal out of Coastal Carolina and Jessie Daniels out of L.S.U. Don't know much at all about Teal, but he was on our draft board. Daniels may stick around, he was overshadowed by LaRon Landry while at L.S.U. but Daniels was a pretty solid all-around player as well.