Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure how reliable this source is http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2007/...r_cut_key.html

If true, *sigh*
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.

that better not be true cause i'm a huge keyshawn fan and am really looking forward to this year because of the panthers draft class, I can't find the story anywhere else so hopefully it's just something someone made up or I will be pissed
simmy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Really odd move, especially since we had already paid him his bonus. Perhaps his comments at the draft caused this? Maybe the Panthers didn't appreciate the fact that he practically threw Jake Delhomme and David Carr under the bus once Brady Quinn started to slip.

Wonder if this would have happened if Dwayne Jarrett hadn't fallen to our second-round pick?

Last edited by JustJoe2k5 : 05-01-2007 at 02:42 PM.
JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Could Mike Rucker be next?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

FirstAndGoal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Could Mike Rucker be next?
If they follow the same kind of stupid thinking that they did with Keyshawn, I wouldn't be surprised. :(

Sig by DLS42
FirstAndGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see it yet, because we have no proven players to man the position who have been here more than a year.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Reports indicate that Nate Salley practiced alongside Mike Minter with the first-team defense in mini-camp.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Just looked at a few more highlights of our draft picks. I think Tim Shaw will be a starter for us sooner rather than later. Watched him fight through a double-team against Michigan and tackle Chad Henne from behind, tackle Michael Hart at the line of scrimmage atleast three different times, etc. For someone who isn't a natural defensive end, he looked like a natural when it came time to rush the quarterback. He could be a real weapon for our defense.

Jon Beason looks quick off of the snap. Knows how to get to the quarterback but also has the speed to recover from missed tackles and get right back into the play.

Ryan Kalil looks like he could be a monster on the inside of our offensive line. Still can't believe he dropped to our second-round pick when most people had him rated ahead of our first-round pick Jon Beason.

Ryne Robinson will do wonders for our special teams. I also think he has the potential to succeed in our offense if used in a Steve Smith-type role, just get him the ball quickly and let him do the rest.

C.J. Wilson looks like a ball-hawk with fantastic hands, saw him make some pretty impressive interception grabs. Also seems to have a bit of an attitude to him, holds the ball in the air while he runs after an interception and always has something to say after he is tackled.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5 : 05-05-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:52 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I'm a little worred about Dwayne Jarrett:

Quote:
-Jarrett's issues revolve around his lack of ideal straight-line speed, questionable work habits and unwillingness to be coached.

-Where he slacks off is when he is not the primary target. While his straight-line speed is average for his size and position, the failure to be overly flexible and to cut in and out on his routes is probably a more pressing issue.

-He seems to have a little bit of Antonio Bryant in his game in that he can become frustrated and sound off.
We know he won't be the #1 here, I hope we didn't just lose one former headcase from USC to make room for a future headcase from USC.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 AM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

FirstAndGoal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
I don't see it yet, because we have no proven players to man the position who have been here more than a year.

True, but Drew Carter and Keary Colbert aren't exactly studs, either. :( I think they'll wait and see how Rucker comes back from surgery and decide from there.

Sig by DLS42
FirstAndGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

A few notes on mini-camp from the Herald.

Quote:
After releasing Keyshawn Johnson, and considering they're breaking in a bunch of kids, the Carolina Panthers will naturally be sending more passes Steve Smith's way.
That's just fine with him, after a year of frustration with a system he didn't think utilized his talents properly.

"I mean, I'm never in favor of getting me the ball," he said with a laugh when asked about the team's new scheme. "All the new wrinkles are very interesting."

"If you want to compare it, it's like sitting in coach and moving up to first class."

It's not as if the Panthers are going to open it up and go run-and-shoot this year. New coordinator Jeff Davidson, a former offensive lineman, came with a mandate to fix the Panthers' ailing running game. But he added some new looks to the Panthers' offense this weekend.

While Henning preferred to use the run to set up deep play-action passes, there will likely be more shorter crossing routes like New England uses. That's no accident, since Davidson learned from former New England coordinator Charlie Weis.

Minter and cornerback Garnell Wilds joined the four injured players on the sidelines Saturday. Minter was getting some time off while Wilds had a mild hamstring pull. Minter was back on the field for the afternoon sessions. ... You have to be careful putting too much stock in the early practices, but the Panthers may have more options in the passing game than many imagine. Colbert looks quick off the snap after two lackluster years and second-year tight end Jeff King's catching everything thrown his way.

Although there's no contact, rookie Ryne Robinson made several nice grabs in traffic. Again, grain of salt, but there are some encouraging early returns.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5 : 05-06-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:45 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Another opinion on the new offensive coordinator from the Gaston Gazette.

Quote:
When running back DeAngelo Williams heard about the changes to Carolina’s offensive scheme, he was excited. When he finally opened his playbook, he was ecstatic. “I was like, ‘Yeah! Oh yeah, yeah, yeaaaah!” Williams said.

What Williams saw inside his playbook was obviously to his liking.
He’d read in the newspapers that new offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson would be implementing a zone blocking scheme on offense and running more screen plays his predecessor Dan Henning, but was a little hesitant to believe it until he saw the playbook. When he saw the plays, he couldn’t contain his enthusiasm.

“I’m excited about the offense altogether because it’s identical to the offense we ran in Memphis,” Williams said. “We threw a lot of screen passes to the running backs and we ran the outside and inside zone plays. We did the one-back power, things like that. It’s just like the offense at Memphis, but with some different terminology.”

Quote:
Foster declined comment on the new system.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:52 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colbert always looks good in camp and the pre-season, then he disappears when the games matter.

Hopefully in the past that's been because he didn't fit well into Henning's scheme.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:28 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
While Henning preferred to use the run to set up deep play-action passes, there will likely be more shorter crossing routes like New England uses. That's no accident, since Davidson learned from former New England coordinator Charlie Weis.
Yeah, those play actions really fooled the defense. Play action only works if the defense bites, other wise, the QB has his back to the play for far too long.

Crossing routes will fit for a lot of guys, Smith can run any route, and has the speed to get huge seperation because of cusions he will get.

Only WR who doesn't fit great is Carter, but he can still be in the plays.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This offense is made for guys like Colbert, and as much as I dislike him for sucking the last two years this is a great opportunity for him.

I like Ryne a lot actually, but he'll probably be too busy with ST this year and not sure how much time theyll want him to get immediately, him and Smith are a couple midgets compartively out there. Still, from what I hear, he's looked good at WR in minicamp

The play action **** was awful. Delhomme couldnt sell a fake to save his life after '03 and no one would care anyway since we havent been able to pound the ball. I'm excited about the new offense. Davidson knows how to get the ball to top players, he did well with Winslow last year
Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
This offense is made for guys like Colbert, and as much as I dislike him for sucking the last two years this is a great opportunity for him.

I like Ryne a lot actually, but he'll probably be too busy with ST this year and not sure how much time theyll want him to get immediately, him and Smith are a couple midgets compartively out there. Still, from what I hear, he's looked good at WR in minicamp

The play action **** was awful. Delhomme couldnt sell a fake to save his life after '03 and no one would care anyway since we havent been able to pound the ball. I'm excited about the new offense. Davidson knows how to get the ball to top players, he did well with Winslow last year
Watch out there man, you might get an infraction for swearing!!! Think of the children reading this!

but yea, Colbert has a big opportunity.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
-- The Panthers have all sorts of options when it comes to their interior offensive line.

Mike Wahle will remain at left guard, but the possibilities at center include Geoff Hangartner, Justin Hartwig and rookie Ryan Kalil, their highly touted second-round draft pick from USC. At right guard, there are numerous options including Hangartner, Hartwig, Evan Mathis and even Jeremy Bridges, who started 14 games last year at right tackle.

"I mean it's the good thing about getting whacked pretty good at that position last year, we got to look at a lot of young guys that might not have gotten that much playing time a year ago, and they got that experience, much like we did in '04 with some of the guys that we went through the season with," Fox said. "So that's the upside."

Wharton and Jordan Gross are penciled in at the tackle spots, but with Wharton still rehabbing you can expect Rashad Butler to see the majority of reps at left tackle. Butler, a third-round pick in 2006, didn't play at all as a rookie. The team wanted him to focus on improving his physique, adding size and strength. He appears to have done both.
Quote:
Although Carolina seems pretty stacked with interior offensive linemen, don't be surprised if the Panthers attempt to add one more guy to the mix.

Guard Joe Andruzzi, who played for new Panthers offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson in New England and later followed him to Cleveland, was released by the Browns on May 4.

The two remain good friends.

In a recent interview with Andruzzi, he said of Davidson, "He's the main reason I signed with the Browns. I have a great deal of respect for him. He's a former player who understands a player's thinking. He's real smart and understands the aspect of being a player. You couldn't ask for a better guy to play for."
A major weakness of our team last season looks like it could become a strength this season, especially if we make a move for Andruzzi. Glad to hear the Rashad Butler has shown the willingness to improve himself, I hope he has a future here.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn, I'm already pretty sure we have the most talent we've had on the line, we add Andruzzi and that would just increase.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Anyone here really thinking CJ wilson could be good? He seems to have all the tools...

Salley will probably be the starter, and seems to be a smart player. Hopefully he can play the Mccree role.

We typically have a suprise player on defense, I kind of think it will be Salley or McClover (who looked huge)
Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

I've had Wilson pegged as the starter at the other safety spot since I read his reports after we drafted him. After seeing some footage and getting some info from someone who was at mini-camp my opinion hasn't changed at all. Unless we sign someone soon I think he'll be the starter by Week 3 (we all know Fox won't start a rookie, especially a 7th rounder, before then)

I'm real high on McClover, not so much on Salley. I'll take a good performance from either of them though.

Despite that, Jeff King is my surprise player for this year. I think with Davidson's offense he's could have a pretty good year. 30-40 catches, 5 TDs or so. The question is if he can get on the field and I don't know if his blocking is good enough for that (not saying it's bad, I really don't know how good he is there). Rosario will see some time also I believe. Hopefully Gaines gets phased out because he's shown nothing but a propensity for drops and the other two guys are better at moving around into the 2nd FB/H-back role

Man, I can't even imagine what the OL would look like if we got Andruzzi. It looks real nice right now with Wharton/Wahle/Kalil/Hartwig/Gross. I wonder if Hartwig gets cut or traded if we signed Andruzzi
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Wilson certainly has the measurables you look for. Really looks like the only reason he dropped was the fact that he was seen as a 'tweener at the next level. I'd give him a year behind Mike Minter to bulk up and study, then see what he can do as a starter in '08.

If C.J. Wilson and Nate Salley can develop into starters over the next two years, we're set at safety for the foreseeable future. I would also keep an eye on Jessie Daniels. He was over-shadowed by LaRon Landry, but you must have talent if you're a starter at L.S.U. for three straight years which Daniels was.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Man, I can't even imagine what the OL would look like if we got Andruzzi. It looks real nice right now with Wharton/Wahle/Kalil/Hartwig/Gross. I wonder if Hartwig gets cut or traded if we signed Andruzzi
You didn't even mention Jeremy Bridges, who was solid at right tackle last season and may be moved to guard this season. We're pretty stacked in the trenches, Davidson probably wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Article from The Herald. Jeff Davidson discusses the offensive line. Great read.

Quote:
CHARLOTTE -- When new Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson walked in the door here, he had an idea he wanted to do more zone blocking.

After he holed himself up for a few weeks watching tape of the 2006 Panthers, he was convinced it would work. The Panthers were 24th in the league in rushing offense and 27th in scoring last season, and the hope is the new blocking scheme will help turn those numbers around.

Davidson said a combination of his own philosophy and the Panthers personnel led him to the decision to implement the scheme. In a nutshell, the zone blocking system asks linemen to block areas rather than specific players, and creates more cut-back opportunities for the runners compared to the specific holes assigned in previous years.

"It's a little of both," Davidson said Sunday. "I like the zone scheme. Really, it gives you the opportunity to run plays against all defenses, which is really why I like it. It simplifies things for the guys up front, and allows your back to be your playmaker.

"It's part of watching what we did prior to last year, and part of it was implementing things I like doing."

Jordan Gross, who's back in his odd-year home at right tackle, said the system's not quite the foreign language some suppose. They did a good bit of it at times last year (think to the Atlanta game and the DeAngelo Williams single-wing), and their roster of linemen and backs does seem to cater to it.

"It's just more of an emphasis now," Gross said. "You look across the board, there's not many of our guys over 305 or 310 pounds. I feel like we can run pretty well. Getting the D-linemen moving and using their momentum against them will be a good thing.

"I think now it's going to be a staple of ours, and we'll see it week to week rather than just featuring it on certain games."

Gross said one of the keys to learning the new system was communication, and the benefit to that is that eight of the nine guys working on the first two lines this weekend were here a year ago. Left tackle Travelle Wharton's still rehabbing his 2006 knee injury, and second-round pick Ryan Kalil's the only one in the first two groups who doesn't know his way around a certain RV parked in a Spartanburg parking lot.

"There's new faces in the lineup in new spots, but we all understand how each other plays, so that makes it easier," Gross said.

Davidson said the shuffling he's done this weekend's on purpose.

He's used Geoff Hangartner primarily at center with the starters but also at left guard. Justin Hartwig took most of his work at left guard with the twos, but also lined up at center. Last year's starting right tackle, Jeremy Bridges, worked as the starting right guard. Evan Mathis, last year's starting right guard, was working with the second team, which was the most expensive and most accomplished line of backups the Panthers have ever fielded. "Yeah, you could name three of the five this year," Gross said with a laugh.

"We're just trying to create more flexibility," Davidson said. "We're trying to see how many positions these guys can play. Ultimately, our decisions come down to playing our best five guys. We're going to look at guys in different positions to see where we're best.

"We've got some flexibility in the offensive line right now, which is a good thing. Now it's just a matter of making the pieces fit."

Davidson said he knows there will be the need for adjustments over the course of the year (even though he was in Cleveland last season), but that he hopes to pick his starting group early in training camp so they can get ready for the season.

Whether that includes an expensive free agent like Hartwig remains to be seen. They signed him to a five-year, $17 million contract last year, but he spent most of his weekend working with the backups. Still, Davidson said: "We're hoping he's one of our best five."

"It would be nice to try to get guys playing next to each other and lock it in as early as we can," Davidson said. "I promise you, we're not locked in, and we won't be after this (minicamp) either. One thing I can tell you about offensive linemen, you certainly don't want to say that things are etched ins tone until you put the pads on. Because things certainly change then. ...

"We truly will play with the best five we have."
Old 05-08-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Who does everyone think will be our starters next year? Here's my guess:

WR - Steve Smith
LT - Travelle Wharton
LG - Mike Wahle
C - Ryan Kalil
RG - Justin Hartwig
RT - Jordan Gross
TE - Jeff King
WR - Dwayne Jarrett
QB - Jake Delhomme
FB - Brad Hoover
RB - DeAngelo Williams

DE - Julius Peppers
DT - Kris Jenkins
DT - Maake Kemoeatu
DE - Mike Rucker
SLB - Thomas Davis
MLB - Dan Morgan
WLB - Jon Beason
CB - Ken Lucas
CB - Richard Marshall
SS - Nate Salley
FS - Mike Minter

PK - John Kasay
P - Jason Baker
KO - John Kasay
H - Jason Baker
PR - Ryne Robinson
KOR - Ryne Robinson
PC - Jason Kyle
KC - Jason Kyle
Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Pretty reasonable. I can't find much there to argue with.