Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
You guys have a bunch of no namers on your team.. Steve Smith is good, and your two Rbs. After that it's a mess of people, especially on defense. Gross is a good OL men, but that defense is terrible outside of Beason. O'connor I root for, but the rest are ok. Bunch of no namers and you're trying to win in this league with that.

I am not surprised you guys lost again. On top of that, now enough film is out on Matt Moore, so I expect him to come down to reality statistically.
Its more than that though, somehow Richard Marshall hasn't gotten better since he began with us he has steadily gotten worse and Godfrey sucks. I really only tolerate Martin and Gamble right now.

Our linebackers are good enough, Dan Connor is playing with force in the middle but our line is the no name part. Right now I would say Greg Hardy will be our best lineman before the end of the season.

On offense, our line has been pushed around like children. DeAngelo routinely makes men miss in the backfield just to gain two yards.

Moore is doing what every QB does and thats throw it to Smith because I just don't see a lot of cohesive routes being run. I see the routes that don't play off each other at all, they don't set one receiver up. Instead one guy runs a post in the slot, the other runs a hitch on the other side and then someone else runs a dig.

I swear I could dig up posts from 3 years ago and the problems would be similar. Lack of intensity, offensive playcalling and inability to identify and draft talent.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

honestly half the reason the team is no namers is because we play in the second most invisible market in the nfl after jacksonville. if dante rosario played in san diego people would talk about him like he's this huge weapon for philip rivers and the chargers are lucky to have another TE after gates and blahblahblah (rosario isnt great or anything but he's flashy and would get talked up, guaranteed)

but yea, here are our "names"

Steve Smith
Jordan Gross
Jimmy Clausen
Jon Beason
DeAngelo/Stewart

and here are our good players
SS
Beason
The RBs
Ryan Kalil
Jeff Otah (injured)
Connor (for two downs)
Chris Gamble (good, nothing more)

that's not a ton of talent, but there are teams with worse top players than that. the main problem is that our best player (or even one of the top 25) isnt a QB and like shutdwn said, we have a lot of turds

players who wouldnt start on other teams
charles godfrey
richard marshall (would probably be in top3 rotation i guess, im sure some zone teams would cut him because he's too dumb to learn a playbook though)
james anderson
anyone on the dline
the QB
ANY of our non-Smith WRs. I'm not even sure they'd make a team.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Hardyz?
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Greg Hardyz?
He's our only hope.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hardy is a rookie with a lot of talent and promise but I don't think I can put him in the good area just yet. he blew a read in the tampa game that let them score their first TD

if this team were run like an actual NFL franchise and not a UFL team just throwing cheap crap on the field and hoping some of it works out he'd be coming in situationally only, get maybe 6-7 sacks this year to go with ST highlights. instead he's already pushing for the starting job playing like 50% of snaps combined between DT and DE
Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
hardy is a rookie with a lot of talent and promise but I don't think I can put him in the good area just yet. he blew a read in the tampa game that let them score their first TD

if this team were run like an actual NFL franchise and not a UFL team just throwing cheap crap on the field and hoping some of it works out he'd be coming in situationally only, get maybe 6-7 sacks this year to go with ST highlights. instead he's already pushing for the starting job playing like 50% of snaps combined between DT and DE
I'd rather him get playing time to work through the good area and then into the awesome by the end of the season.

Unless Clausen truly is the chosen one I don't see anything saving Fox's job. Oh, and thank god he traded away all our picks for those impact players.

Phew
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the starting defense look like? Beason and Connor I know. The other people I have no clue. I remember some on the DL, but don't know where they came from. I'd would say most of the known people are on offense.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most of our known quantities are on offense (Williams & Stewart, Steve Smith, Gross and Otah even though Gross is playing like crap and Otah hasn't played a snap yet, Clausen but he's known from his college days, and Kalil).

Our starting defense is...

RDE- Tyler Brayton
RDT- Louis Leonard
LDT- Ed Johnson
LDE- Charles Johnson
SLB- James Anderson
MLB- Dan Connor
WLB- Jon Beason
CB- Chris Gamble
CB- Richard Marshall
FS- Sherrod Martin
SS- Charles Godfrey

Beason & Connor are the standouts. Gamble is decent, but the rest kind of leave a lot to be desired.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
RDE- Tyler Brayton
RDT- Louis Leonard
LDT- Ed Johnson
LDE- Charles Johnson
SLB- James Anderson

That right there.. When I saw that opening day, I asked myself who the heck are those guys? Where did you get them from the NFL discount store? I don't know if you guys can win games with no namers like that, unless your scheme is very, very good. That was my initial impression. We won that game, so I was interested to see if you guys could beat the Bucs. But a loss to them, and I am pretty sure you guys need to spend some money in free agency.

Martin? Godfrey? Who the hell are these guys on defense? I know your two Cbs, and of course Beason and Connor. The rest I look at and wonder how many games can you win with these guys.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

brayton is a solid average nfl vet de. we actually got him from FA through the raiders a few years back. i think he might be the oldest field player on the team after smith. charles johnson was a draft pick and probably will have his spot taken by everette brown or greg hardy by the end of the year. the DTs really are bargain bin trash. ed johnson was on the colts D for a while I remember, but I think he'd be out of the league if we didnt pick him up. leonard idk where he got him? the rams?

james anderson is another guy like charles johnson who we drafted in the mid rounds a few years ago. we usually get away with 1 guy like this filling in a spot on the defense every year (i would compare brayton to kemoeatu who we had at DT for a while, except without a ton of idiots trying to defend him for being painfully average), but now they're like half of our D and it's a big problem, yea

martin and godfrey are both young and could be good in time. personally i think godfrey sucks and is a lost cause but martin has potential and hasn't played terribly for us.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That right there.. When I saw that opening day, I asked myself who the heck are those guys? Where did you get them from the NFL discount store? I don't know if you guys can win games with no namers like that, unless your scheme is very, very good. That was my initial impression. We won that game, so I was interested to see if you guys could beat the Bucs. But a loss to them, and I am pretty sure you guys need to spend some money in free agency.

Martin? Godfrey? Who the hell are these guys on defense? I know your two Cbs, and of course Beason and Connor. The rest I look at and wonder how many games can you win with these guys.
They're not that bad on defense Shock.

They have 2 underrated CBs in Gamble and Marshall. They have 2 good LBs in Connor and Beason, and another one in Thomas Davis who unfortunately landed on IR.

Everrette Brown and Greg Hardy could potentially become a nice DE duo in the future.

Godfrey isn't a bad FS, i know he didn't show it against us, but for the most part he's solid but not spectacular.

Theres talent on that defense, they're just not quite there yet. And I personally think Ron Meeks is a joke of a DC.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
brayton is a solid average nfl vet de. we actually got him from FA through the raiders a few years back. i think he might be the oldest field player on the team after smith. charles johnson was a draft pick and probably will have his spot taken by everette brown or greg hardy by the end of the year. the DTs really are bargain bin trash. ed johnson was on the colts D for a while I remember, but I think he'd be out of the league if we didnt pick him up. leonard idk where he got him? the rams?

james anderson is another guy like charles johnson who we drafted in the mid rounds a few years ago. we usually get away with 1 guy like this filling in a spot on the defense every year (i would compare brayton to kemoeatu who we had at DT for a while, except without a ton of idiots trying to defend him for being painfully average), but now they're like half of our D and it's a big problem, yea

martin and godfrey are both young and could be good in time. personally i think godfrey sucks and is a lost cause but martin has potential and hasn't played terribly for us.

Yeah he is their first round pick or former first rounder. I recognized the name. Ahh yeah Ed Johnson was on the Colts. Now I realize that name sounds familiar. Still though was he even good or was he in the discount isle?

It's good you wrote about the rest. However, I can't see you guys winning a lot of games with that defense. I do like Beason and DC, but the rest I don't think will cut it against other teams.

I expect the Bengals offense to do well against you guys. They can put up points, and I am not sure your defense has the goods to stop them.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
They're not that bad on defense Shock.

They have 2 underrated CBs in Gamble and Marshall. They have 2 good LBs in Connor and Beason, and another one in Thomas Davis who unfortunately landed on IR.

Everrette Brown and Greg Hardy could potentially become a nice DE duo in the future.

Godfrey isn't a bad FS, i know he didn't show it against us, but for the most part he's solid but not spectacular.

Theres talent on that defense, they're just not quite there yet. And I personally think Ron Meeks is a joke of a DC.

I don't know man.. I am very skeptical. Do you think this defense can compete against the Bengals, who can put up points? I don't think so. I expect them to do well against this defense. This defense used to be loaded with talent. I remember looking at them and feeling like having an upset stomach when we faced them. Now it went from the big time guys to a bunch of avg joes. I don't know BBD. I don't expect them to be good on defense. And they have talent on offense, but if their QB stinks, then this team won't stay afloat.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know man.. I am very skeptical. Do you think this defense can compete against the Bengals, who can put up points? I don't think so. I expect them to do well against this defense. This defense used to be loaded with talent. I remember looking at them and feeling like having an upset stomach when we faced them. Now it went from the big time guys to a bunch of avg joes. I don't know BBD. I don't expect them to be good on defense. And they have talent on offense, but if their QB stinks, then this team won't stay afloat.
I'm talking more about the future of the franchise, not this year. They gotta fire Meeks, he's terrible.

They need DTs. But their secondary isn't really that bad, and they have good LBs and promising DEs moving forward. Give em a year or 2, and they'll bounce back.

Meeks system doesn't fit the personnel either. And they are playing Beason out of position which hurts them.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

the scheme isn't the problem with beason, it's connor. he simply can't play anywhere else in a 4-3. he's a 2 down MLB or on the bench. maybe you could shoehorn him into SLB, but it'd be just as odd a fit as moving Beason

i dont agree with marshall being underrated either. underexposed because he plays in carolina? maybe. but he basically is what he is. a solid 2nd CB. he's shown hardly any improvement since his rookie year and is completely lost in zone. same with godfrey who has the measureables but constantly blows coverage

the DTs were the biggest worry coming in, though surprisingly the Dline has been fine this year. I don't know if this is just because you guys didnt run on us much and that the corpse of Cadillac Williams needs to be benched, but theyve done ok so far. Not the kind of pressure the Colts got on you guys, for sure, but they've held down the run
Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So at this point how many wins do you expect?

At this point I'm saying 4 tops.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

id still go over

the season is already over but never count fox out at pulling down some meaningless wins in weeks 10+

clausen showed signs of life (though he really wasnt very good, basically a moore-esque performance with a prettier ball and less of a boner for throwing to 89) so maybe he hits a groove late in the year and we win 4 straight or something like that
Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
id still go over

the season is already over but never count fox out at pulling down some meaningless wins in weeks 10+

clausen showed signs of life (though he really wasnt very good, basically a moore-esque performance with a prettier ball and less of a boner for throwing to 89) so maybe he hits a groove late in the year and we win 4 straight or something like that
Ya, we win meaningless games to worsen our draft position, suck at drafting, and then carry no momentum to the next year.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 AM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How do you all think Clausen is going to do Sunday? Do you think he is going to be able to connect with Steve Smith at all?
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Louis Leonard was released. So the starting job is now totally belongs to Landri. (Landri has been starting because of nagging injuries to Leonard, but Leonard was still listed as the starter on the Panthers depth charts).
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Panthers used the roster spot opened by letting Leonard go to sign OL Chris Morris (formerly of the Raiders).
Old 10-03-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
Panthers used the roster spot opened by letting Leonard go to sign OL Chris Morris (formerly of the Raiders).
No impact signing.

We're playing the Saints, I expect Brees to treat Godfrey like the revolving door that he is.

A blitzing defense will also wreck whoever is starting because they'll be ready when they force it to Smith.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Wow... Just wow.

We needed like six yards for Kasay and that is what we came up with?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

^^ that C might come in handy if Kalil goes down. Remember how awful Bernadeu looked with snaps in preseason? Plus he obviously sucks at RG too

Anyway I thought that was another solid, if unspectacular game out of Clausen. His only real impact play was on a blown coverage, but hey, at least he was able to recognize it and get the ball there. Poorly run 2 minute drill and other play clock issues, but that's why he's getting experience now

Get that top 5 draft pick and worry about the rest later. Gettis looks like he might be a keeper
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Dwayne Jarrett was arrested this morning for his 2nd DUI.