Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 11-19-2010, 07:43 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A QB that's been on the team less than a week is getting the start. Guess they don't want to put another rookie behind that O-line.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, there goes another game. I didn't get to see any of it but I was keeping track of the score.

This season is already over in my eyes and we need to get the number one draft pick.

1) Do you pick Andrew Luck after picking Clausen?
2) Who is your new head football coach? Cowher?

I think John Fox could make history and be the first coach to inherit a 1-15 team and also be fired from a 1-15 team.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say you guys need Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers also a new Head Coach.

A Bowers/Hardy DE combo would be nasty for years to come.

Last edited by bigbuc : 12-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Rookie

... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.

I don't see how they can draft anyone other than Luck.

Hands down the worst offense in the league and I still see people out there saying things like "DT is the biggest need"? What?

It's early and all but Clausen is looking a lot like an even worse version of Brady Quinn. Maybe Charlie Weis' pro-style offense wasn't so pro-style after all. And it's not like he's some big first round investment who's making a ton of money. Even if Clausen does pan out, awesome. Then you can trade him or Luck for a pick, like Matt Schaub or something.
... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even think Luck is a debate at this point

The question to ask is if he stays in school do you take Cam Newton #1 overall?
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
I don't even think Luck is a debate at this point

The question to ask is if he stays in school do you take Cam Newton #1 overall?
That is a scary decision, Newton has high bust potential especially with such little playing experience.

I still think the NFL is a pocket passing league so I'd take Luck, but that is with my little knowledge of both players skill repertoire and potential.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

What's wrong with Jimmy Clausen as the future franchise QB?

He's been steadily improving lately, hasn't he?
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a snippet of an email I sent to a guy about Clausen. It basically sums up the problems with him. I ripped the "U" thing from a guy on another board because it's a good way to visualize the problems with his play style

Quote:
Without rehashing your arguments too much, I will say that the best way I have heard someone describe Clausen's play is if you imagine a giant U shape reach from the quarterback towards the sidelines and extend all the way to the end zone. Clausen only attempts passes within this U shape because they are safe and he is terrified of throwing interceptions. Amazingly this is not an exaggeration - he will never throw a pass this is not either within 5 yards of him, or on his first read down the sidelines. The only pass he attempts down field is a fade route where he can put a lot of air on the ball. Everything else is vertical and short. He won't throw out routes, or other such passes that are make or break throws for NFL quarterbacks. The only time he ventures outside of this U shape and throws over the middle of the field is when his first read is "covered" (being covered can include being open on a route he won't throw or being Steve Smith) and he immediately check downs to an RB. Other issues you highlighted such as his long developing side arm delivery and height have been heavily apparent with a large percentage of his passes being knocked down at the line.

On the subject of his size, I think you suspected this when you said he doesn't "look" 6'3 despite seeming to be around that height (ultimately I believe he measured out at 6'2 and change) but a big problem of his is how small he plays. I would say he is like the opposite of a Ben Roethlisberger or Josh Freeman in that he panics under any pressure and if a guy so much breathes on him, he goes down. I'm not going to defend the poor play of the Carolina OLine this year (Jordan Gross is particular is looking to be washed up) but he doesn't do them any favors with his complete lack of pocket presence. He seems incapable of stepping up in the pocket, instead preferring to roll to his right and drift backwards towards the sideline before throwing the ball away - even in circumstances that don't necessitate bailing out of the pocket.
He's thrown 2 touchdown passes all season and on both plays the guy was completely wide open (I'm talking no one within 20 yards of the receiver) and he didn't even hit either of them in stride
Old 12-23-2010, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Rookie

... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.... is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
He's been steadily improving lately, hasn't he?
Sadly enough, he really hasn't improved at all. The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't fumble the snaps as often as he was at the beginning of the season.

People see the Arizona game and think he's playing better, but stats lie.

Last edited by ... : 12-23-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 AM    (permalink
scpanther22
Rookie

scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
This is a snippet of an email I sent to a guy about Clausen. It basically sums up the problems with him. I ripped the "U" thing from a guy on another board because it's a good way to visualize the problems with his play style

He's thrown 2 touchdown passes all season and on both plays the guy was completely wide open (I'm talking no one within 20 yards of the receiver) and he didn't even hit either of them in stride
or maybe he only attempts those passes because thats the game plan?

I get what your saying and I agree to a point but I think people forget that Fox loves to play it safe even with a vet QB so with a rookie he would be even more conservative in his game plan..and it cant be overstated how bad our Oline is this year.
scpanther22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys have to do me a favor. If we beat Atlanta this week, you have to beat them the week after.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:54 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im a UofM and i'm curious if you guys are thinking that Jim Harbough is a serious candidate for your HC... i think Michigan will go hard at him as well so I'm curious if they'll have to bid versus an NFL team
Old 12-24-2010, 12:42 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanther22 View Post
or maybe he only attempts those passes because thats the game plan?

I get what your saying and I agree to a point but I think people forget that Fox loves to play it safe even with a vet QB so with a rookie he would be even more conservative in his game plan..and it cant be overstated how bad our Oline is this year.
highly unlikely since our entire offense is based on high risk plays down field off of play action. I seem to recall the early excuse for Clausen being that he had to play in an offense not really suited for his skills or those of a rookie with a bad OLine because he had to read and wait for deep routes to develop unlike Sam Bradford who threw a lot of short passes

Now that they've adjusted the playcalling some upon realizing what a turd he is yes he is executing the game plan to some extent by passing short (although he still sucks at it) but that's like saying a coaching staff is limiting the ability of an RB who always busts runs outside and dances a lot by not running him on short yardage and at the goal line
Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

as for Harbaugh I think he will be a candidate here but ultimately doubt that he is hired. The whole deal with Luck as his QB complicates the factor more than helps it in my opinion. I do think he's going to get a chance in the NFL, if not this year, then in the near future if he wants it and I really don't see him going to Michigan. It just doesn't make sense to me. It would take him longer than expected to turn that program around IMO because RichRod personnel is like the antithesis of Harbaugh personnel. For a guy with NFL aspirations it just seems like a backwards move to me when he could just stay at Stanford for another year or two or even get an assistant job in the league if no one wants him at HC

If he goes to Michigan I think it would have to be his dream job and, in his mind, a destination. From everything I've heard in the past I just dont think that's case even with it being his alma mater
Old 12-24-2010, 01:23 AM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So are we all in agreement? Luck the 1ST Overall Pick?
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 AM    (permalink
davlar87
Rookie

davlar87 is a cocksman.davlar87 is a cocksman.davlar87 is a cocksman.davlar87 is a cocksman.davlar87 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
So are we all in agreement? Luck the 1ST Overall Pick?
No doubt, but we may not have it. It depends if Atlanta beats New Orleans or not. If they do, we'll face their second string in Week 17. Even so, I'm not confident we could even beat their second string with how poor our offense has been.
davlar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:47 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Chris Redman is a better QB than anyone on our roster
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Now that we have the top pick we have to hope that Luck comes out.

Who do you think we will hire as coach?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...place-john-fox

No. 10: Mike Heimerdinger - OC Titans
No. 9: Chip Kelly - HC Oregon
No. 8: Jon Gruden - Former HC Tampa Bay
No. 7: Ron Meeks - Current DC
No. 6: Sean McDermott - DC Eagles
No. 5: Russ Grimm - Assist. HC Cardinals
No. 4: Jim Harbaugh - HC Stanford
No. 3: Bill Cowher - Former HC Steelers
No. 2: Ron Rivera - DC Chargers
No. 1 Brian Schottenheimer - OC Jets

I wouldn't be too happy with Brian Schottenheimer because of the current ineptitude of his offense. He has so much offensive talent and his young QB isn't doing so hot lately, I'll pass.

The only coach that would I would like to see would probably be Harbaugh.

Last edited by ShutDwn : 12-27-2010 at 07:42 PM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
You guys have to do me a favor. If we beat Atlanta this week, you have to beat them the week after.
OK, you guys know what to do, right?

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
OK, you guys know what to do, right?
Don't worry, I'm confident our defense will pitch a shutout and we will win on a last second Kasay FG and then Fox rides off into the sunset.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

we can always run the direct snap offense again
Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Rookie

WHY is Brian Schottenheimer still talked of as a head coach candidate? Not just for us, but anywhere. HE'S NOT EVEN A GOOD COORDINATOR.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

his last name

it's not like he's any worse than russ grimm
Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 AM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2011...erent#comments Could something Big Happen?
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

in general he is very conservative. "a punt is not a bad play" is an actual quote of his. he was also a big user of "it is what it is" well before it became the go to cliche of every football player/coach today

on offense he likes to pound the ball and throw mainly off play action. he always looks for WRs that are good blockers. don't expect much from the TE position - they are inline blockers first and foremost but he doesn't really get maulers to do that. mainly just mediocre players that can block and sit in a zone and catch a pass for a first down but pick up no YAC. i wouldn't call it a "ball control" offense like so many mediocre pass offenses are, though. he goes for big plays on the play actions. kind of a lull you to sleep then hit you with the big bomb strategy. any OC you get will be handcuffed and tied to Fox's preferences, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since he has a tendency to associate himself with awful OCs (and if your OC is going to be mccoy i wouldnt expect much different)

don't look for many trick plays on offense or on ST. the rare times he'll pull one out typically end in disaster anyway

defense is his specialty and he's a pretty strong 4-3 guy. when we got ron meeks a couple years ago we switched to cover2 but before that he was more of a base 4-3 guy, the type of which are getting more and more rare in today's NFL. he's not much of a blitzer, as he prefers having a talented DLine that can bring pressure with 4. he has an eye for finding and developing talented linebackers. early in his career he would fill the safety position with literally any random guy off the street but the last couple years we started some young players drafted in the mid rounds. most years I would expect him to deliver a top 10 ranked defense but I don't think he can get you to Steelers/Ravens territory unless you stockpile a ton of talent

all in all, he's a solid coach but not a great one. i suppose after firing a clown like mcdaniels i can understand why the broncos would be attracted to fox. he's pretty much the exact opposite personality. his players love him, he avoids the media like it's the plague and his focus is on tough, hard nosed defense

the one thing to watch out for is how he falls in love with players and continually plays them over more talented guys behind them on the depth chart. he's an "old school" guy in every sense of the term. it some ways that can be a good thing, but in others it just makes him a relic. i wish him well with the broncos. it was time for us to go in different directions - i think he was growing complacent here - but i do think he can succeed the first few years with a new team and a new challenge. i would not be surprised if he turns around the broncos quickly. what i'd be worried about is year 3 or 4 after he's gone on a run and made the playoffs. does he get bored again? is he going to stick with orton over tebow? etc