Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 09-25-2011, 01:40 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and what was that replay call? im sure his elbow was down but it was pretty impossible to see and since you cant see it it didnt happen basically, that was just simply the ref going off of what he thought happened not what he saw.
dj825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam was off all day, I know Jacksonville got close to some INTs but he looked shaky today. I gotta give him credit for sticking tough and leading that last drive. I don't understand why the hell we went for two. If we hadn't gotten it and Jax scored, a FG would only tie, if we kick the extra point we can win with a FG... The same exact scenario that happened when we converted the two points. C'mon coaches, do the math.

Gameball belongs to Stewart for sure, he has been great.

2 penalties made this game far closer than it should have been.

1- our offsides when they were punting led to three points
2- Charles Johnson jumps offsides on a fumbled snap and two plays later they've got seven. I think we actually had recovered the ball? Too lazy to look though.

Our D plays strong but then it breaks too fast. Poor tackling is a huge problem. Gotta give Munnerlyn some credit, he made some good plays on the ball and was on the punt returners instantly. Johnson and Hardy are beasts, I love those two on the ends. I think our defensive line is shaping up for the future nicely.

I want to see a different receiver in there other than Naane. He is such balls. I miss David Gettis every time I look at Naane.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:24 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah Munnerlyn has recovered very nicely from his poor ish play in week 1. I was really hoping the running game would come back a it today but it didnt, Stewart was amazing but he only got 10 touches, which i found kinda weird.

yes we did recover that fumble that was overturned because of the offsides, i was pretty annoyed but he made a mistake and he as you pointed out has been wrecking havoc on QBs all year along side Hardy. the DTs are still getting burned by the run but theyre doing good pushing the pocket and are getting better against the run, im pretty pleased at their development.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj825 View Post
yeah Munnerlyn has recovered very nicely from his poor ish play in week 1. I was really hoping the running game would come back a it today but it didnt, Stewart was amazing but he only got 10 touches, which i found kinda weird.

yes we did recover that fumble that was overturned because of the offsides, i was pretty annoyed but he made a mistake and he as you pointed out has been wrecking havoc on QBs all year along side Hardy. the DTs are still getting burned by the run but theyre doing good pushing the pocket and are getting better against the run, im pretty pleased at their development.
Fua and McCain could use more experience versus the run, I think depth would also help. I don't think they'll ever be fantastic run stuffers but they are all around good players and when another team is busting big runs everyone on defense is responsible.

When it started pouring I got pretty worried that we would make some really bad mistakes due to the conditions. We let up that last touchdown at the half but I don't attribute that to the conditions.

Cam will learn how to throw the ball away eventually, especially after that one stupid play he made to Shockey for negative yardage. I love that he avoided a sack, but throw it AWAY
Old 09-26-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

yeah...idk what was with him throwing it so high yesterday since he has usually been money on those passes but inconsistency is bound to happen like that since he is a rookie. i was mostly upset by it cuz i started him in my fantasy football league expecting him to really beat down the Jags secondary.

I like how Cam was able to get it together a bit late in the game and lead us on that drive for the TD, was very impressed.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I bet I'm not the only one who didn't think that they really had conclusive evidence that Stewart was down. Should have let it go for the sake of how awesome that was. (see signature)

We brought in Avery for a workout, wonder who they're trying to replace? Hopefully Naane.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

yeah i really dont think they had conclusive evidence, im sure he was but srsly you have to have conclusive evidence. im pretty sure that was just the ref basing that off of his opinion which theyre not supposed to do
Old 10-02-2011, 04:13 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Your team is a feisty bunch. If Beason was there, the Panthers could have won this one. Just clean up the clock management, special teams and secondary, the Panthers could be in the playoffs before you know it.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
Your team is a feisty bunch. If Beason was there, the Panthers could have won this one. Just clean up the clock management, special teams and secondary, the Panthers could be in the playoffs before you know it.
Heh, I didn't get to see the game because I was on the road but I was keeping up through the radio and the gamecenter online. The combination of rookie DTs and Beason and Davis being out is killer and we will suck against the run for the rest of the season.

I won't comment more other than I heard we went to Legadu Naane on 4th and goal. I'm almost glad I didn't get to see that. Naane doesn't belong on the field let alone being thrown to on the final play.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly can't wait till we get to play you guys. Will be an exciting matchup.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I honestly can't wait till we get to play you guys. Will be an exciting matchup.
It should be interesting to see some division play. The NFC south is stacked at QB, and 3/4 are young.

We gave up a freak and went and found a new one. Personally I like our new one far better, he has as much talent and far more tenacity than Peppers ever showed.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
It should be interesting to see some division play. The NFC south is stacked at QB, and 3/4 are young.

We gave up a freak and went and found a new one. Personally I like our new one far better, he has as much talent and far more tenacity than Peppers ever showed.

id still like to have both, but i do agree i kinda like Cam better
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2...aanee-for.html

Proof of what I thought.

and this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...spotting111005

Last edited by ShutDwn : 10-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 AM    (permalink
abie006
Rookie

abie006 smells like sex panther.abie006 smells like sex panther.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
wow, it says: Cam Newton poised for greatness!

Last edited by abie006 : 10-06-2011 at 07:51 AM.
abie006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

So I was watching all of Cam's throws in the previous game and I think that his stats are good but they don't even reflect how good he was in the game.

1. LaFell stumbles hard and can't make it to the ball
2. Steve Smith diving in the endzone, difficult catch but he usually makes that play.
3. Obviously the Shockey touchdown. The refs really impacted the game most here.

Obviously Cam could probably have done something better in each play as well, maybe be more accurate on the first two but you have to make those plays to be a really good on offense.

The way it's going, Cam is going to be making these plays a lot easier for the receivers. Shockey is a lot better than I thought, and gives us three quality receivers along with Olsen and Smith. They've got tons of energy, they are all rough receivers. Smith was taking big hits and staying up all game, Merriweather laid some licks which he got fined for. I think LaFell has actually been decent, I would like to see him do more I think he is gaining confidence which is what he needs along with being more in the game mentally.

I just want Pilares to bust on to the scene and run the slot, we haven't had a late draft rounders break through in forever. I guess I'd also settle for DeAngelo to get his **** together and play like he should. Think about it, he hasn't made his mark in this offense at all. Obvious lack of carries is a part of it, but he hasn't been good when he gets the chance.

Stewart is the runningback that has made a mark, especially with his great receiving ability. Mike Goodson isn't even needed, but it would be amazing to see Goodson fix the fumblitis, he could line up at receiver and beat most corners on simple routes.

Fox wasn't able to get them to take it to the next level as players, that's one thing Rivera has to do to have success soon. There is a lot of room to improve the offense without even bringing in different pieces. They seem to gel and that makes it way easier to take on them to the next level individually.

And then there's the defense...

Last edited by ShutDwn : 10-08-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 AM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

yeah....the defense....

Williams looked pretty good last sunday its just again he didnt get but 10 carries despite averaging over 8 yards per carry. but i do agree generally he hasnt looked good really and even last sunday didnt look amazing. he really does need to pick it up for the Panthers sake and for my Fantasy Football teams sake
Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good game, you guys almost had us.

Not really looking forward to Defending Cam Newton in the future, his running ability really broke things open.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Good game, you guys almost had us.

Not really looking forward to Defending Cam Newton in the future, his running ability really broke things open.
Yea, bit of a "same old story" feeling for Panther fans but I'm not really down at all. This team is fighting to the end in every game and ultimately they are responsible for their losses which shows how young they are. I think a lot of learning is going on right now and these losses are going to beneficial in the long run. We will have a higher draft pick and hopefully a weaker schedule (though that didn't work this year after going 2-14).

The first interception was a total miscommunication and the timeout before the half was huge. Some say we would have had a 12 man on the field penalty and the Saints would've kicked it either way. I say why the hell even put in the field goal unit? The saints needed a miracle to get the play off and Rivera gave it to them.

Cam showed a lot of progress throughout the game learning how to handle the Saints defense. DeAngelo was also nice to see making a play, he definitely earned the extra 30 yards.

I'm really intrigued who Rivera will make his 2nd number one, this pick will most likely be in the top 12. I'm thinking he goes defense, he probably wants to have a stud he can call "his guy".

Last edited by ShutDwn : 10-10-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

so sick.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70...olina-panthers

Harper got fined for the late hit in the endzone. I didn't really expect a fine, but it was a dumb move by him. The saints were hardly penalized though because, with the new kickoff rules, the penalty had zero effect.

I did find this quote amusing though:

"If you're going to score, go score, but a guy is not going to try and just walk it in on us like that," Harper said. "You're going to have to pay for it as you get past the goal line."

It's like the NFL saw this and said "no, Roman. you are the one paying"

These types of plays happen all the time where players coast in. Harper of all people should be used to that by now. I also liked Graham's flop on the last second field goal. Haha, the guy was breaking tackles all game and Gamble bumps him and he goes straight to the ground.

I think we have a great chance against Atlanta if we can hold up against Turner. I'm pretty sure the Falcons will try to control the clock and not let Cam have the ball.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

So, I've been kind of annoyed by something through the first six weeks.

You see, I've noticed that all we ever wear is white and I've forgotten what we look like in our Blacks jerseys. This year we wear white eleven out of the sixteen games.

I like the black jerseys a lot more, the white is boring. We are wearing white again vs the Falcons and then finally blue vs the Redskins in two weeks.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

i like the Blue jerseys best but i agree i like the Black much more than the White. it makes sense early in the year when its hot, it makes the away team wear their darker colors and in theory put them at a disadvantage. but at this point we should black, its not been that hot most of the time around here so i dont see much of a point.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:01 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Random rant:

So Brandon Hogan could be back on the team in a few weeks and I was watching some of his highlights and I really like what he could bring. He is a big hitter, he does go for the big hits but he also makes plenty of impressive tackles for his size. I love his playmaking ability.

If, (and this is a big if) Hogan can be a rookie that makes an impact I actually think our corners are pretty good. Gamble has been great this year, last year we saw a lot of him, now I don't see him in replays much anymore because he shuts guys down. Captain has been surprising, I see him holding his own against larger receivers. Butler has actually been decent for us and he could still get better.

That's pretty good in my opinion. Martin and Godfrey have grown on me a bit as well.

If we improve the defensive line I think we have a really solid defense. A good secondary is made so much better with a strong front. Our defense has been a lot more fun to watch than Fox's boring crap. I love watching Charles Johnson, I didn't like the signing much at the time but I think he is proving he wasn't a flash in the pan. Greg Hardy is the man, I love his motor and how we got him in the sixth round.

But our interior, our rookies are getting beaten badly right now. It's tough for them to be but I think that they are getting a ton of experience and they'll figure out how to win more plays. Our linebackers aren't good enough to be dealing with lineman as much as they do. Thomas Davis was such a huge loss again, but it be time to find someone else. Beason is more important, but Thomas Davis' injury could mean his career is sapped.

I watched Vontaze Burfict and wow I want to see him in the NFL. He is one of the ruffest players I've seen in a while. My only question is, how smart is he? Running and hitting is fun, but how much a freelancer is he? Can he follow a game plan?

I would rather go for a dominant defensive tackle or receiver. I don't want any party of Alshon, he's another Jarrett.

It's funny though, the Panthers are 1-4 but you wouldn't be able to tell based on my atitude about the team. I think the potential of this team over the next 5 years is huge. It's crazy how much Cam has changed the fan's attitudes about the team.

tl;dnr

1. I think Brandon Hogan could be a baller
2. Our secondary is good, our interior is too weak
3. Charles Johnson = Boss
4. Greg Hardy = Boss
5. Vontaze Burfict? Is he real?
6. We are 1-4 and yet I'm excited every time I watch them. That change in attitude occurred after the opener when Cam busted out.
7. Cam = Boss

Last edited by ShutDwn : 10-15-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:02 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

still cant finish games...soon as we get to the 4th quarter both the Offense and Defense just shut down it seems most of the time. i dont understand how that happens week in and week out, its so frustrating...
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Yea, Cam had a great game going until about that point. Usually the offense keeps up but not this time. I don't think anything is going to change for our defense right now, they just seem small to me.

Honestly though, I don't get as frustrated because while they have been competitive they aren't a playoff team. I think a growth season like this plus a good draft puts them into playoff contention. If we go 5-11 and get a nice pick I won't be thinking about how we could have been 8-8.

If you had told me we would play these QBs:

Kevin Kolb
Aaron Rodgers
Jay Cutler
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan

and we were competitive into the fourth, I'd be surprised. It's crazy how much Cam has elevated fan expectations for the entire team. Nobody would have picked us to be competitive against those guys last season.