Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We got the wheels beat off us.

I'm really starting to question whether or not Rivera was the right guy for the job.

Last edited by JPF : 11-14-2011 at 09:38 AM.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright guys, let's look at team needs....

* OT- Otah, ugh, he's played in less than 50% of the Panthers games since he was drafted. Great player or not, you have to be on the field.

* DT- McClain is getting better, Fua looks lost, Edwards should come back healthy next year but something has to give here. I'd prefer a vet, I just don't see that big time difference making DT in this draft class so I don't think another young player is the answer.

* CB- Munnerlyn sucks, Hogan is an unknown commodity, Butler has flashes, Stanford doesn't belong on an NFL roster IMO.

* S- Sherrod Martin looks lost when it comes to coverage, Pugh is maybe the worst player in the secondary yet they keep putting him on the field.

* LB- Davis can not be counted on anymore, Connor is a FA, Gaither is slow as crap, the other back-ups stink.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not even going to go into what went wrong against the Titans. It does look like teams are figuring out that fast pressure is the way to stop Cam. Both the Titans and the Vikings were spanking the offensive line.

I'm going to watch the rest of the season before thinking about the draft anymore. All I'll say is that I'd go heavy on defense.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go to half time up by 11

Give up 21

Tie the game

Lose by 14

That's just hard to accept.

Cam Newton is a huge improvement but asking a rookie QB to outscore teams when they get to play against our defense is impossible. Something about the second halves of games just owns the defense. They can play pretty well until halftime, and then the wheels fall off and it only gets worse. The offense also has a similar problem in the second half.

The defense has to improve. I look at the corners and I think that they can be a fine unit with a strong front four. I say that, because if I had to choose between a strong front or a strong secondary (the opposite being average), I would always choose the front. The secondary is almost totally dependent on the performance of the front seven. Drafting a top corner doesn't help us win the battle at the line of scrimmage and he probably won't be good enough to make a full impact for at least a year or two. Drafting a top corner is something I see as something established defenses do, not terrible defenses.

With no obvious dominant defensive tackles out there in the draft, I think we have to add a young playmaker in the linebacking unit. Thomas Davis is all but done and honestly I'm tired of waiting for linebackers to come back from injury. I'm not convinced there is anyone at the position to take at our top five pick so I think trading back is the best route, we really need talent at a lot of positions.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

The other team adjust to our defense while our defensive coaches don't understand how to make adjustments on the fly. Mystery solved.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
The other team adjust to our defense while our defensive coaches don't understand how to make adjustments on the fly. Mystery solved.
I'd say it's more of an endurance thing than an adjustment thing. It's too easy for fans to say "we don't make the adjustments!!" because we don't have any idea what adjustments should be made, or what adjustments are even possible. All we know is that suddenly the other team is playing better.

I'm still not really a believer in our defensive coordinator, but I think he should have the opportunity to work with a fully equipped defense.

Our front has one player with a full year of starting experience: Charles Johnson. Fua and McClain are rookies and Hardy is a first year starter. Our most experienced starter only has one year of experience.

Our linebackers are decimated. I don't even need to talk about how slow and small they are. They can't set the corner for ****. This is the level we needed to be the strongest in order to overcome the inexperience in the front four, but it hardly seems like we have a healthy guy in this unit.

Our corners have probably played the best out of anyone this year. It's always deep in the game when the front gets tired and the other offense starts imposing their will that the secondary starts to give up too much.

Cam is definitely hitting some growing pains, but it's accelerated by how much he has to do. Improving the defense is the best thing we can do to help the offense. It's really annoying to watch them blow games like this right now, hopefully they gain a lot of experience right now. Also, these are mostly still Fox's players, that's probably why they are really frustrating.

I'm just dying for Brandon Hogan to make a mark. It's probably not going to happen this year, but he looks like a potential playmaker that we sorely need on defense and has return abilities as well. I'm done with Edwards.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

I don't see the endurance argument. Every team wears down in the second half. If our guys are wearing down that much, then they should be embarrassed.

I didn't like McDermott when he was in Philly so I definitely don't like him as our DC. I also am not big on our position coaches on defense. We hired a LB coach from Vanderbilt without any NFL experience I believe. It's not just the players that are inexperienced, it's the coaches as well.

Our D-line, that's on Hurney. Only a fool goes into the season with that inexperienced a D-line.

The LB's, injuries have killed us there. Yet I remember people talking before the season about how good our depth was there with Connor and Gaither...yea, they both suck.

I half agree on the corner thing. Gamble is playing well but Munnerlyn sucks in coverage. I don't understand why they aren't letting Butler at least start a game or two to see what he can do.

And I won't even start on our safeties.

Cam, I can't even honestly put that on the defense. Only an idiot expects a rookie to throw the ball 40 times a game when you have two 1000 yard backs on your roster. Eating up clock and yardage not only would help our rookie QB, it would help some of the defensive problems...especially if it's a conditioning thing as you think.

I hate to say it, but they blew it this past off-season. They overpaid Charles Johnson (most guaranteed money of any free agent) based on one good year. They never should have did what they did with Davis when he was still under contract (though if extending him saved us money this year and the contract really is done in a manner where there's no hit to the team for him getting hurt again my stance on that changes). And the D-Will signing, wtf! We paid him that kind of money to carry the ball 10 times a game? In this system we don't need two RB's like him and Stewart.

Last edited by JPF : 11-21-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

So the team let FB- Jerome Felton go and signed WR- Darvin Adams from the practice squad.

Last edited by JPF : 12-27-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love using first round picks on players who do great but dont see the ball ever. i also love paying RBs huge contracts so that they can have 10 carries a game. prolly two of my favorite things to do and see others do :D
dj825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Maybe the worst win in franchise history?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Maybe the worst win in franchise history?
haha, I was at the game and it wasn't too pretty. This game really displayed how completely, disgustingly bad this defense is.

I hate watching Martin play safety. The guy is a highlight reel of bad angles and embarrassing tackle attempts. On the second bomb to Wayne, I looked at the defense and said out loud "Why is #25 on Wayne??", they hike the ball and Painter doesn't look anywhere other than at Wayne. I have no clue what the coaches were thinking with the matchups in this game. Of course Munnerlyn is going to look like **** when he tries to cover a number one receiver. Butler should have been on Garcon and Gamble on Wayne. Captain matches up better with Collie anyway.

Our linebackers look the same size as our defensive backs and they're slow as fudge. The Colts ran the ball so damn well, their backs hit the edge and NOBODY was within ten yards. That tells me that the defense is slow in recognition, and footspeed. On top of that, they ******* suck at tackling. We are only behind the bucs and the eagles in missed tackles this year.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

RJ Stanford covering Wayne on that one is something I'll never understand. As soon as the camera followed the ball and I saw 25 & 87 in the picture I knew it going to be bad for us.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you guys take Claiborne in the Top 5 if you still pick in that spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo3716 View Post
Do you guys take Claiborne in the Top 5 if you still pick in that spot?
I don't really think he is a top five prospect, but I don't know that much about his measurables. For mocks, I would say he or Blackmon is the way to go. In reality, I would rather trade back and get some more picks to use in the 2nd or third round.

Depending on how his stock goes, I would rather pick defense in the first and then draft Mohamed Sanu in the second or so. I don't know if he is going to make to the second though once everyone realizes Alshon sucks.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

I disagree on WR at any point. We already have 5 young receivers (1st or 2nd year) on the roster (6 if you include Gettis who is on IR), the only way we take a receiver is if it's Blackmon. He's the only one that projects to be a future #1, but even then with as horrid as our defense is that's a luxury pick.

I'd prefer to trade down to pick up additional picks and smartly draft some defensive players that will help.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

So Freeman could miss the game after his gun incident, he hasn't been throwing at all in practice. Also, it is possible for the entire starting defensive line to miss the game.

This will be an interesting game. We haven't had a blow out win yet and I don't expect one, we play to our competition for the most part.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
I don't really think he is a top five prospect, but I don't know that much about his measurables.
Been watching Claiborne his whole career, this year this is what I see; Not as physical as Patrick Peterson, but better technique (he is either in the WR's hip pocket, or in better position than the WR to make a play on the ball), ball skills and instincts, not as athletic, but its like comparing option 1a with option 1b. If his measurables are anything near Peterson's he's top 5 hands down, teams dont throw his way, and when they get cocky and do (Tyler Wilson, you listening?) he picks it off or makes the play on the ball. He has some of the most fluid hips I have ever seen, and transitions out of his back pedal instantaniously. I think he is the most over-looked prospect right now, mainly because of Mathieu and the rest of the D are playing at such a high level.
Was just researching for my mock and read this, no disrespect intended, but I have him as the #1 prospect for Carolina right now.
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thanks for the info. I should say that I really like him, I just look at it as 'is he the best value for the pick we have?'

I'm sure he'll measure fine, but the best thing I notice is he looks so natural out there. He is so smooth when he plays. If he returns punts, Armanti is done.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:09 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Both McClain and Fua are out for the year now. Holy **** are we decimated. Not that they were really stopping anyone but wow, that's a lot of players to lose.

On the flipside, Grimes is out and Turner has a nagging injury as well. I hope to see a better team out there in the rematch against the Falcons.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

I don't think it's a coincidence that the best our run defense looked at year was the game Fua missed.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the best our run defense looked at year was the game Fua missed.
It's definitely hard to tell because we got a big lead, but I think it could be true. McClain is the bigger loss for sure.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

That game was amazing. Granted the Bucs suck, still, I think the team is finally learning how to put teams down for good.

I love LaFell's catch. If he works on his routes more and builds with Cam he could be something good in the number two or the slot when Gettis comes back.

Got to give some credit to the defense, they played well too, and they have been for a while. They're finally playing the Robin to the offense's Batman and keeping teams from running with them.

Anyone else feeling better about the defensive tackle position a bit? I know none of them are great by themselves, but as a unit, I think we have a good enough rotation to win with for now. I would add a stud, but there is no need to reach. I'd rather see a defensive end drafted than a defensive tackle. We have Keiser, Applewhite, Hardy and CJ but I think we need more pass rush. QBs habe too much time to abuse our secondary.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's why I think Coples is an intriguing prospect. He might not be a speed rusher, but put him opposite CJ and we just might have one of the best young tandems in the league.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash28Dash34 View Post
That's why I think Coples is an intriguing prospect. He might not be a speed rusher, but put him opposite CJ and we just might have one of the best young tandems in the league.
Problem with that is I've never seen him play and his numbers were lackluster. More information will come out but he seems to be being drafted on size and ability rather than production. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.

A lot of our speculation will be narrowed down by what we do in free agency. I could see some decent mid level signings along with retaining some guys they like.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

We won't have a lot of cap room to do anything in free agency if we don't rework some contracts. According to reports we're already over what next years cap projects to be and that's with some guys we'd probably like to re-sign (Anderson, Shockey, etc.).

Coples I'm not impressed with (and I'm a UNC fan). He had a solid year last year but this year his numbers dipped. Hell, two games (Duke & James Madison) account for over half his sack total this year. He'll get drafted almost purely on athleticism.