Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Vertical Jump?

I went to sleep the day before the combine and just woke up, so I forgot to ask this question of the people who know these things, which is how is a player's vertical jump measured? I seem to recall someone saying they'd put their hands up just standing, and then measure the difference between that and when they jump, but then couldn't you just have a really small guy with like a 45" vertical, and a very tall guy who could reach higher just standing?

This has very quickly turned into a ramble, so if someone could just set me straight on this I'd appreciate it.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
gobucks
Rookie

gobucks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Vert is measured using this device: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...lesaustin2.jpg

Basically you measure a player's standing reach, then they jump and swat at the colored arms, if they can touch them, they will move. Each arm is a half inch on most set ups.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

ncstateviking hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

they stand with their hands in the air...which for arguements sake equals 7'9'' of player A. then he leaps into the air marking as high as he can reach. we will say again for arguements sake that the highest point reached is 10'9''. so you subtract the 93 inches (standing height) from the 129 (top jumping height) to get a vertical of 36''. being you subtract the standing height, the height of the player becomes irrellevent. if player B has numbers of 6'9'' and 9'9''. he is a whole foot shorter and still has a vertical of 36''.
ncstateviking is offline   Reply With Quote