Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Why would they want to make Freddy the #1 guy?

btw, how did the Giants split carries between Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw?
I'm wondering how the Bills are planning on doing this with Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes
Lynch has been in trouble a lot plus his rookie contract is gonna be up and he will want big money.......its logical thinking. Not this year obviously, but I am talking about the future.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
I don't see the Bills ever looking to Freddy as their #1. I think they'll be content to keep both guys around and run a split.

Rhodes has been a solid back, but he doesn't offer the same sort of impact that a guy like Bradshaw does against a worn out defense. I don't see it being a similar situation. He was brought in to serve as a solid #2 during the suspension and provide stable depth the rest of the way. He'll get some time, he deserves it, but not quite that involved.
you think they will look to resign Lynch? I personally would bet against it.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Lynch has been in trouble a lot plus his rookie contract is gonna be up and he will want big money.......its logical thinking. Not this year obviously, but I am talking about the future.
Jackson will be 31 and heading into the last year of his own deal when Lynch's contract is up.
Short of further indiscretions, I don't see big plans for Jackson being "the guy".
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like Walker on the right side. He's not quick enough IMO to do well on the left side.

And I am planning on heading out to training camp. Just not the first day because that is when everyone is going to go out there to see TO.
Awesome dude. Let me know.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
you think they will look to resign Lynch? I personally would bet against it.
My split proposal goes up until the end of Lynch's contract. "Keeping both guys around" may have been bad wording. We have both of them under contract together for three more years. I don't think you can really assess anything past that.

Last edited by SuperMcGee : 05-14-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Interesting. I think a situation like Buffalo is where he'd do good. I do like Langston Walker, though, especially in the AFC East where the pass rush is honestly kind of weak. He's admittedly a better fit on the right side, but he was probably Buffalo's best lineman last year. Joey Porter is probably the only outside pass rusher that makes a huge impact on games at this point. Richard Seymour was able to pick up eight sacks last year though and Adalius Thomas is great when healthy/used corectly.

Anyways, anyone going to Bills training camp this year? I have an old friend who lives in Rochester, NY, so we end up going, and I'll be going this year as well. It's just convenient to visit him that time of year so we have something fun and memorable to do. Last year I was able to meet/get autographs from a bunch of the younger players on the team. Maybe if anyone else is going we could have a little NFLDC meetup or something at the camp.
I'm stopping in Fairport to visit my friends for about a week I don't know when I kind of would put training along with that, it'd be great

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why would they want to make Freddy the #1 guy?

btw, how did the Giants split carries between Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw?
I'm wondering how the Bills are planning on doing this with Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes
Unfortunately, our OL isn't the Giants and running the ball won't be very easy behind ours.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bills quarterback Trent Edwards hit two balls over the wall during batting practice three hours before the New York Yankees played the Toronto Blue Jays in the Rogers Centre.

James P. McCoy / Buffalo News

Quote:
Edwards, Evans the Centre of attention at Jays game.
By Mike Harrington
Updated: 05/14/09 10:47 PM

TORONTO -- Hard to tell who was the main attraction Thursday in the Rogers Centre. Was it Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees or Trent Edwards, Lee Evans and the Buffalo Bills?

The Bills' duo was all around the ballpark during the game and got a big thrill by taking batting practice three hours before the first pitch.

Edwards belted a pair of home runs into the left-field seats and burst out of the cage celebrating them. Evans looked like, well, a football player as he hit a few ground balls to the outfield and not much more.

"That's tough. I got tired with just about 10 swings in there," a smiling Edwards said. "I can't imagine doing that every day. I got some groin issues right now, blisters on my hands. Part of the game of playing baseball I guess."

Bills receiver Lee Evans fouls one back.

"I was a little nerved up and I got a little winded," Evans (left) said. "I didn't expect to get winded. I've never been a strong hitter. I just use my speed and be an athlete out here. I hit a couple base hits. That's my game. I'm not for power. One base at a time."

With their socks pulled high like old-schoolers, Edwards and Evans looked snazzy in their official black Blue Jays uniforms, complete with names and numbers 5 and 83.

Edwards said he hadn't played baseball since he was in the eighth grade, when he pitched a one-hitter in a Little League game but lost, 1-0. Evans said he was confident because he had been practicing hard on his Wii and is a regular Wiffle ball player in the Bills' field house.

"[The outfield fence] doesn't look that far from the plate here," Evans said from the seats. "But go back there [in the outfield] and look up here, well, that's when it looks far."

How would Edwards evaluate Evans' "swing"?

"Don't listen to what I say right now," Edwards called to his teammate. "It was a solid swing. I was happy he made contact. He's obviously not on the quarterback level and receivers are a different breed. Quarterbacks are good at golf, baseball, football. Lee has some distance to travel."

The BP swings were just the start of a whirlwind night. Both players appeared on the Jumbotron urging on Jays fans in several spots taped prior to the game.

Edwards threw a ceremonial first pitch (in the dirt to Jays outfielder Vernon Wells), appeared on the Jays' radio broadcast and joined a couple of Jills on the Jumbotron for a between-innings trivia question asking the opponent for the Dec. 3 game here (it's the New York Jets).

Evans, meanwhile, served as PA announcer in the bottom of the third, although he called Jays catcher Rod Barajas the center fielder. He made up for it with an extended call of "Johnnnnnny Mac" when introducing ex-Bison John McDonald.

Prior to the game, they visited the Blue Jays clubhouse. Edwards joked he was going to scratch out somebody in the lineup and serve as the designated hitter.

"He's got to talk to [DH Aaron] Hill about that," said a smiling Jays manager Cito Gaston.

Cracked Edwards: "Vernon was saying that [Yankees starter CC] Sabathia throws a good fastball and change-up. But those are my two best pitches that I hit."

mharrington@buffnews.com

lol, I like the part I bolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The reality for Buffalo is that we lost the whole left side of our OL in both Dockery and Peters and this will prove to be very significant this coming season. The pass protection on the left side will be very suspect limiting both our passing ability and out running ability. Our offense has taken a huge step backward and it is very doubtful that we can contend for a playoff position. 7 wins could now be hard to match.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The reality for Buffalo is that we lost the whole left side of our OL in both Dockery and Peters and this will prove to be very significant this coming season. The pass protection on the left side will be very suspect limiting both our passing ability and out running ability. Our offense has taken a huge step backward and it is very doubtful that we can contend for a playoff position. 7 wins could now be hard to match.
I think it is unfair to say that our offense as a whole has taken a step backward. Sure the OL looks worse, although I think the interior play will be better. However, the addition of TO and Shawn Nelson adds soooo many new options for Trent. Not to mention that Josh Reed can be one of the best slots in the NFL.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:47 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

It's pretty bad that nobody knows if both of our tackles can play their current positions effectively. Bad tackles and little help from the TE is not going to be good for our goal of keeping Trent healthy for once.

But like Rob said, you have to like Trent's options. Evans, Owens, and Reed is a great top 3. Nelson is a dynamite pass catcher. Roscoe is still around for whatever way we may want to use him. Stevie is as solid as you can ask for in a #4/5. The RB were big in the passing game, and more time for Freddy only improves what we get out of that. If Schouman can get any time out of the backfield, I like what he can do out of it. That's right, my excitement for our receivers goes all the way down to Derek Schouman. We can comfortably let Hardy take another learning year and hope he can be a big part of our offense by the time TO is out of here.

Nobody can feel all that comfortable with unreliable bookends, but it's hard to not be at least a little excited for the flash element of our offense. We just need to hope that the expected weaknesses allow us to get enough use out of it.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This needs to be seen again...

EDIT: how do i get rid of it so it's just the video?

Quote:
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Last edited by Rob S : 05-23-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: there you go
Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

done^.......and a fantastic vid, every bills fan should watch it.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think it is unfair to say that our offense as a whole has taken a step backward. Sure the OL looks worse, although I think the interior play will be better. However, the addition of TO and Shawn Nelson adds soooo many new options for Trent. Not to mention that Josh Reed can be one of the best slots in the NFL.
No matter what you may hope for, a QB needs a solid OL to take advantage of his weapons because you won't get far if your QB is laying face up after each passing play.
Facts, we lost our whole left side of the OL, the part where protecting the QB is crucial. Teams simply NEVER trade or allow their LT's to leave the team, they are just way too hard to find. You'll never see a top one in FA until they are considered way over the hill either through injuries or old age. Teams, even the worst of them in the NFL, pay their LT' rather than risk losing them.
Sure, replacing Dockery will be difficult but OG's are really a dime a dozen except for the few special ones, so replacing him isn't earth shattering. However, replacing you LT as well is earth shattering. Even the rookie who replaces Dockery will struggle tremendously without a solid LT beside him.
You think the Eagles could believe their luck when they discovered that Peters was actually available for very little. It just never happens in the NFL.
Lost in this is also the fact that a happy Peters is one of the best run blocking LT's in the NFL as was Dockery. This loss of talent won't just derail our pass protection, it is going to decimate our running attack as well.
No wonder we signed TO, he is just the distraction to make fans forget how much we lost in Peters and Dockery and to keep the fans buying tickets before they realize just how weak this team suddenly got on offense.
The net effect of losing Peters is that we moved from being a solid playoff contender to just another team trying to stay out of last place. No wonder Levy moved on as he must have realized that Wilson simply wouldn't pay Peters his due and what it would mean for his efforts to rebuild the Bills.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Today, I informed Ellis "The Sex" Lankster of his nickname here on SWDC!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post

How did you do that?
And how did he earn that nickname?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-27-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4209750

Terrence McGee hurt himself covering TO today :(
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
Yes........"The Sex" FTW!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown
...when they went to the nickel package, Reggie Corner went to the slot with rookie Ellis Lankster stepping on the field. Lankster has made more plays than one might expect from a seventh-round pick.
Could someone say, opening day starter?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

McCoverage is a thing of the past.
As much as I enjoy "The Sex", I am majorly pumped for Reggie Corner.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 AM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone know when the Bills Training camp starts up at St. John Fisher College? I went there back 2004 and got a bunch of Autographs, So I'm hoping to get back up there now and get some more.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Red face Off-season over...

From all accounts the Bills off season is over, my question is what else could still be done to improve this team? Would signing Derrick Brooks to play linebacker hurt? What happens if Butler or Walker get hurt? Would Levi Jones at least provide some depth? That lack of depth on the offensive line is my major concern right now, especially because in my opinion Chambers is a liability as a back up... Any thoughts on how to help this team improve would be appreciated...
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
From all accounts the Bills off season is over, my question is what else could still be done to improve this team? Would signing Derrick Brooks to play linebacker hurt? What happens if Butler or Walker get hurt? Would Levi Jones at least provide some depth? That lack of depth on the offensive line is my major concern right now, especially because in my opinion Chambers is a liability as a back up... Any thoughts on how to help this team improve would be appreciated...
Replacing the left side of the OL has put this team's offense under close scrutiny. Realistically, we aren't going to be spending a lot of money on backups so Brooks and Levi Jones are probably out of the question.
Wilson hasn't changed his strips and that means he will not spend beyond his budget for a shot at the playoffs.
I think we will really struggle to win 7 games with a severely weakened OL. We will really struggle to pass block with Peters and Dockery gone and I see 5 or 6 wins top for the coming season. Money has been our Achilles heel and apparently it still is.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Replacing the left side of the OL has put this team's offense under close scrutiny. Realistically, we aren't going to be spending a lot of money on backups so Brooks and Levi Jones are probably out of the question.
Wilson hasn't changed his strips and that means he will not spend beyond his budget for a shot at the playoffs.
I think we will really struggle to win 7 games with a severely weakened OL. We will really struggle to pass block with Peters and Dockery gone and I see 5 or 6 wins top for the coming season. Money has been our Achilles heel and apparently it still is.
I agree with the Brooks/Jones/Wilson comments completely. Adding Brooks to the defense with Schobel (can he play at the same level...), and Youboty coming back, in addition to adding Maybin (first step is incredible) and Byrd's potential, in my mind could make the defense a top ten unit. Now that is assuming the rookies contribute, and Schobel has the same impact he had before. Brooks leadership and football sense would be a great asset on this team.
Levitre on offense is an upgrade over Dockery, who I thought was invisable last year, and a major disappointment. The whole Peters thing I dont know about either, he was nothing short of unipressive last year, not only in letting up 11.5 sacks but also he seemed like a shell of himself, Butler playing right tackle should not be an issue, Walker playing left tackle is for me though, granted he is a big man to get around. Depth... NON-EXISTANT...
We know people will get hurt, and any injury to the offensive line puts us in severe jeopardy of a 5 to 6 win season. Saying that, if the o-line stays healthy, I think it will be fine, love Wood at gaurd, anyone is an upgrade at center, Levitre I need to see more of, but if Walker or Butler get injured we are completely screwed...
One thing that I believe people over look is the offense as a whole, Lynch, and Jackson form an top ten backfield, Evans and Owens could form a top five tandem (Jackson is a future star, Hardy??, Reed is finally turning into the player I thought he would/should be, and Roscoe is under utilized) Nelson should stretch the seam, and become the athletic pass catching tight end this team has needed for years, and Trent has no excuses in the playmakers department.
Buffalo has the best special teams in the league (apologies to Josh Cribbs), Punting and Kicking to Roscoe and Leodis is almost asking a special teams coach to get fired (although we will see about the affect of the new rules), and teams will surrender field position early in the season to avoid these two, and if the offense can capitalize (this is where I think 10 or 11 wins is obtainable) teams will be forced to play field position. This cost the Bills last year, I remember numerous games where great field position was wasted on 3and outs.
This team is the hardest to gauge in recent memory, I can see the low end, and as few as 4 wins, but should everything come together, I can see as many as 10 or 11, where as in the last three years I though realistically 7 or 8wins, with 9 being within reach last year, before the season started.
The secondary has the potential to be devostating should Shobel and Maybin turn up the heat, the offense has the pieces at the skill positions to improve easily into the top half of the league if the offensive line can not only run block (shouldnt be a problem), but pass block (the question on everyones mind). For the first time in a while I can not make a prediction on this team with any kind of certainty...
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
I agree with the Brooks/Jones/Wilson comments completely. Adding Brooks to the defense with Schobel (can he play at the same level...), and Youboty coming back, in addition to adding Maybin (first step is incredible) and Byrd's potential, in my mind could make the defense a top ten unit. Now that is assuming the rookies contribute, and Schobel has the same impact he had before. Brooks leadership and football sense would be a great asset on this team.
Levitre on offense is an upgrade over Dockery, who I thought was invisable last year, and a major disappointment. The whole Peters thing I dont know about either, he was nothing short of unipressive last year, not only in letting up 11.5 sacks but also he seemed like a shell of himself, Butler playing right tackle should not be an issue, Walker playing left tackle is for me though, granted he is a big man to get around. Depth... NON-EXISTANT...
We know people will get hurt, and any injury to the offensive line puts us in severe jeopardy of a 5 to 6 win season. Saying that, if the o-line stays healthy, I think it will be fine, love Wood at gaurd, anyone is an upgrade at center, Levitre I need to see more of, but if Walker or Butler get injured we are completely screwed...
One thing that I believe people over look is the offense as a whole, Lynch, and Jackson form an top ten backfield, Evans and Owens could form a top five tandem (Jackson is a future star, Hardy??, Reed is finally turning into the player I thought he would/should be, and Roscoe is under utilized) Nelson should stretch the seam, and become the athletic pass catching tight end this team has needed for years, and Trent has no excuses in the playmakers department.
Buffalo has the best special teams in the league (apologies to Josh Cribbs), Punting and Kicking to Roscoe and Leodis is almost asking a special teams coach to get fired (although we will see about the affect of the new rules), and teams will surrender field position early in the season to avoid these two, and if the offense can capitalize (this is where I think 10 or 11 wins is obtainable) teams will be forced to play field position. This cost the Bills last year, I remember numerous games where great field position was wasted on 3and outs.
This team is the hardest to gauge in recent memory, I can see the low end, and as few as 4 wins, but should everything come together, I can see as many as 10 or 11, where as in the last three years I though realistically 7 or 8wins, with 9 being within reach last year, before the season started.
The secondary has the potential to be devostating should Shobel and Maybin turn up the heat, the offense has the pieces at the skill positions to improve easily into the top half of the league if the offensive line can not only run block (shouldnt be a problem), but pass block (the question on everyones mind). For the first time in a while I can not make a prediction on this team with any kind of certainty...

I like your optimism but IMO, it is unrealistic to think we will replace Dockery and Peters without missing a beat. I believe Peters year reflected the fact that Wilson refused to pay him what he deserved and the knowledge that he wouldn't likely be with the team next year. Thinking a rookie like Levitre will just step in and be as effective as Dockery is just wishful thinking IMO.
Brooks is just a shell of the player he once was, he's near the end and nobody is rushing to sign him. His experience might help but don't expect him to play at a star level, those days are long gone for him.
Walker is at best an average LT who will have fits trying to stop faster, quicker and smaller DE's. Edwards will be running for his life and a rookie like Levitre will really struggle if his LT cannot help him one iota.
The OL IMO will be below average overall and that is with no injuries. This is going to shutdown both our running attack and our passing attack no matter how good our RB's and WR's are.
The defense may be solid although top 10 is a stretch. However if our offense struggles, the defense will find itself on the field most of the game and under that kind of pressure, could crack and give up a lot of points.
I realistically think 6 wins is tops with 4 or 5 quite possible.