Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, with the season coming to an end I guess it is almost time to look ahead to next season now that we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It has been a good season and this next game means absolutely nothing to either team really. Baltimore has clinched a top three seed and will probably win on sunday and clinch a first round bye. We exceeded my expectations, but only because of a strong second half to the season.

Well, for our offense, JP took large strides this year and played better than everyone in his draft class except maybe Rivers, yet people still aren't writing Eli Manning off who was much much worse than JP and he obviously has a lot more talent around him, just not as good of coaching and offensive leadership. Quarterback is pretty much not even a possibility in this draft unless we want another backup if Holcomb leaves and that will be a late round guy in the sixth or seventh.

We can all agree that Willis McGahee wasn't who we thought he was before last season finally. He doesn't run with autority unless we are playing against the Jets and doesn't look good running up the gut. Running back could be an area that we address on the second day if there is a guy that we think could start for us some day. The A-Train will probably be gone next year because someone will look and notice that he ran for 100 yards in a game for us and offer him too much money, if not I wouldn't mind having him back but I don't think he will be back. Shaud Williams is as good as gone and I don't see Shelton going anywhere.

Lee Evans had the breakout year finally to compliment the finish he had last year. He will be a great deep threat for years to come for us. We all know that we have depth at receiver because all we have after Evans is a bunch of slot receivers. We will drop Davis in the off season probably, even though I want him back to cover punts and kicks next year because he has been very solid on special teams. We will probably see at least 2 receivers gone next year and the problem with that is that the two that will probably be leaving are Aiken and Davis, the two that don't do much at all to jam up our receivers. We need to get rid of Price IMO because with him out of the way we can get Parrish more involved and Reed is more reliable and can do more in space IMO. Price is just a run, catch and fall over guy unless it is a screen pass. We need to bring in a big lanky target for Losman somehow and I would really like Matt Trannon of Michigan State. Unfortunately I don't think we have a shot at him because we traded our fifth rounder for Hargrove. Trannon could also line up as a tight end and create even bigger mis-matches. I think that we might get Jarrett in round one though. Robert Royal is decent, but I don't think we take a tight end in the draft unless Spaeth, Miller or Newton last until the late third round or early fourth where we could trade up to grab one of them.

The offensive line has been better this year and I like what this staff is doing. I prefer the small lineman that they use, but not small to the extent of the Falcons or Broncos where they can't pass block at all. I don't think that we draft an offensive tackle at all in the first four or five rounds this year unless Baker or Long go against what they have said and come out and fall into our laps with Jarrett off the board. I would like to have Gandy back but only if he will accept to be payed like a backup and not start every game, he is much better at guard than tackle. Fowler has been great this year for us. The right side is the conundrum though. Preston and Pennington are both average. Pennington looks to be promising and I hope that we keep him around and give him some chances. Preston however I would like to see as a backup, he isn't starter material and I hope that we get rid of Villariall in the off season because he was horrible all year.

The defensive ends are fine right now and I don't think we draft one at all unless Gaines Adams falls to us in the draft. We essentially drafted an old, NFL ready player in the fifth round when we traded for Anthony Hargrove. Kelsay and Denney combine to be a pretty solid end and are very good, where Schobel is a great pass rusher and isn't as bad against the run as other ends his size.

The tackles are an issue, but they are young so I don't think we will look for any one. Especially because we got Tripplett last year via-free agency. McCargo looks like he will be pretty good and Williams will be a solid every once in a while guy. I really hope we don't see anymore of Tim Andersen though.

Linebackers are all right, the only problem is Fletcher because if we don't sign him we have an awkward situation. We could draft a guy like Buster Davis who is pretty much the same player with younger legs or we could move Crowell into that role and let Ellison and Spiks play outside. I don't see much of a problem either way and if we resign FLetcher, even better, I wouldn't mind trading up a little in round two and grabbing Buster Davis if he escapes round one which is a very likely possibility with a bunch of 34 defenses at the end of round one or cover-2 teams that won't take him, so no one should reach for him in the early twenties and if we trade up in round two we could definitely get him.

Cornerback is the same as linebacker, I really want Clements back after how he has played lately, more so than I want Fletcher back. If we don't bring Nate back we are left with McGee and Youboty, that isn't an ideal situation unless Youboty gets a lot better in the off season. I think that Kiwaukee Thomas is gone but we resign Greer. I would LOVE to have Daymeion Hughes in the second round, but I don't think we can get him unless we take him in round one and the only way we do that is if he runs faster than he is supposed to in workouts.

Safety, no problem, sign Coy Wire back up and thats all. Whitner and Simpson have been great for rookies and we can only expect more from them with age. They are both young too, for rookies.

Special teams, Lindell and Moorman are both back next year. Parrish and McGee as well. If we get Wire under contract our coverage leader is back again next year. April is the man.

I would really like to see us trade down in the draft to around 25 and pick up another third round pick or something. Then we trade our second round pick and acquired third for an earlier second and a fifth. Could be hard to pull off, but very possible, then our draft could look something like this.

1. Daymeion Hughes CB California
2. Buster Davis LB Florida State
3. James Marten OL Boston College
4. Martrez Milner TE Georgia
5. Matt Trannon WR Michigan State
6. Selvin Young RB Texas
7. Lester Ricard QB Tulane

This pretty much sets us up in a great situation next year whether or not we resign Clements and Fletcher or not. It adds a pass catching tight end and a guy who could evolve into an incredible tight-end or slot receiver who is a massive target with some speed. We get a 3DRB and a third QB if Holcomb is gone, also a guy who went to the same school as Losman.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:51 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Space Ghost, our write-ups seem to agree on pretty much ever single point (with you offering a more in-depth look by addressing all positions, not just big needs, as well as a mock even, so kudos to you).
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:00 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay
Davis, Andre WR UFA - Too many WR's and too much $ put into mediocre WR's already (Price and Reed). Not resigned.
Fletcher-Baker, London LB UFA - Really hope he is re-signed, but doesn't seem like he wants to be here anymore. Not resigned.
Gandy, Mike OL UFA - Hope he isn't resigned; I will be forever scarred from that Lions game where HE GAVE UP 4 SACKS IN ONE GAME TO JAMES HALL. Better alternatives in FA and the draft. Not resigned.
Andre Davis has been a great gunner for us, but yeah, thats about it

Why do you say Fletcher doesn't want to be here?

And I definitely want to sign Gandy. He gave up 4 sacks out of position. He's a fine guard and I'd rather have him back than worry about replacing him with some mediocre FA or Merz. Preston needs to be replaced first and with the already-slim chance of drafting a starting caliber guard for the right side, there's no chance we get a LG that I'd be comfortable starting with the remaining draft possibilities and our cheap free agency approach. Gandy is near the top of my re-signing list along with our DEs and the best we can do between Fletcher and Clements
Old 12-29-2006, 06:16 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Quote:
Davis, Andre WR UFA - Too many WR's and too much $ put into mediocre WR's already (Price and Reed). Not resigned.
Fletcher-Baker, London LB UFA - Really hope he is re-signed, but doesn't seem like he wants to be here anymore. Not resigned.
Gandy, Mike OL UFA - Hope he isn't resigned; I will be forever scarred from that Lions game where HE GAVE UP 4 SACKS IN ONE GAME TO JAMES HALL. Better alternatives in FA and the draft. Not resigned.

And I definitely want to sign Gandy. He gave up 4 sacks out of position. He's a fine guard and I'd rather have him back than worry about replacing him with some mediocre FA or Merz. Preston needs to be replaced first and with the already-slim chance of drafting a starting caliber guard for the right side, there's no chance we get a LG that I'd be comfortable starting with the remaining draft possibilities and our cheap free agency approach. Gandy is near the top of my re-signing list along with our DEs and the best we can do between Fletcher and Clements
Go to:
BuffaloBills.com
Then click on Multimedia
Then go to Page 3 of the Videos
Click on "Fletcher and Lindell Postgame Comments"

Then tell me what you think.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:18 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I actually like Davis' skill set as a WR more than Reed, but he won't be re-signed because we invested $20 Million in 2 mediocre WR's last season. He has been a great gunner as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:32 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Quote:

Go to:
BuffaloBills.com
Then click on Multimedia
Then go to Page 3 of the Videos
Click on "Fletcher and Lindell Postgame Comments"

Then tell me what you think.
Hasn't convinced me
Old 12-29-2006, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
I actually like Davis' skill set as a WR more than Reed, but he won't be re-signed because we invested $20 in 2 mediocre WR's last season. He has been a great gunner as well.
I like him as a deep threat and that is it, but I really want him back as a special teamer, he is lights out covering punts. I hope we can get him to settle for base salary. I want to get rid of Price more than any other receiver, then after him probably Aiken because Reed is a better Special Teamer than him anyways.

Oh, and that video didn't really convince me of anything Art. I just don't think that we will get Fletcher back for some reason, I think signing Clements will be the larger task at hand and we will want to try and get that done first.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:34 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

glazeduck smells like sex panther.

I essentially agree on most points. However, I think Davis should be resigned, he offers us a great deal on special teams and w/ our team so devoted to STs I think we'll keep him around.

Would love to see Fletch resigned and hopefully see Nate tendered because it seems like teams are going to be willing to pay a pretty penny for him. If not, he's not worth breaking the bank for. As for Hughes, I think he'll slip, he doesn't seem like a 1st rounder to me but I guess we'll see. Anderson is a FA so one way or another we'll need to acquire another DT.

I had a slightly different idea as to the draft. Trannon seems like a guy that will go undrafted and really never be any good. Everytime I see him play he looks slow, lazy, and unable to use his body as he should.

Assuming we lose to Baltimore (which I hope we do, just no injuries) that puts us in the 10-15 range. Assuming we get the 13th pick, we could trade down to the 22nd pick and pick up that teams 2nd round pick as well (according to the draft value chart). If this played out (w/out getting picks for Nate) we'd be in good shape to do the following i think...

1. Sidney Rice- something about him excites me more than jarrett.
2a. Josh Beekman- less ?s than Blalock, less salary than Blalock, just as solid (if not moreso)
2b. Hughes/best available CB- lots of cb depth in the draft, good spot to nab one
3. Joe Newton- TEs will fall because of no standouts and similar depth among 6 or 7 of them, i like newton the best.
4. Best available LB- fletch back or not, seems like a good idea to grab a LB for depth
6. Isaiah Stanback? Athletic freak. QB? WR? 6'4 Randall El? I'd pay a 6th round pick to find out w/ him in a Billls uni.
7. Jordan Kent?- Potential out the A$S, hard worker, great guy and seen a lot of improvement in just 1 1/2 yrs of playing football.

Seems like a good draft to me, and fairly realistic. This is without getting picks from Nate (which i really hope we do...imagine a productive draft like this and adding another 1st and 3rd...makes a bills fan drool...)
glazeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Wow glazeduck , how did you fit Rice, Beekman, Hughes, Newton and Waters into that, they are pretty much my favourite players at their positions in this draft. Are you watching me right now?

I would LOVE to have Beekman on our line next year, IMO, he is the best interior lineman in this draft, better than Joseph last year as well. He just has that IT that you want in an offensive lineman, he dominates the line all night long. If we got him I would rather he played on the left side beside Peters than on the right side proably.

I would faint if we drafted Sidney Rice, to me, not to everyone else though, he will be the best receiver out of this draft class behind only Calvin Johnson. Turn on your TV he is dominating right now, even if it is pretty bad competition, he would start out against teams number two corners because of Lee Evans. He is the kind of big target we need for Losman to throw it towards. Unfortunately I don't believe he will be coming out this year, but I wouldn't say it is 100 percent yet.

I can't see Nate being tagged again this year, his salary would be more than just giving him a long term contract and no one would want to trade for him probably. Our best plan with Nate is offer him a suitable contract or let him walk and sign with Houston or Washington or some team that will give him big money.

After today's game and wonders I can't see Newton lasting until the third round. He was incredible and scored the game winning touchdown as well as another catch for a score against a solid Mizzoo defense. I would love to have him on the team, but I can't see him lasting thru 2 rounds of the draft.

I don't really know much about Trannon, but if we could get him as an UDFA I would be pumped because we could let him learn and get in shape and you know with our coaching staff they would expect that, I just don't know if they would want to take on such a project like him. He just has incredible size for the position which really jumped out at me.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:17 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

I agree w/ Rice. He seems like he has a lot better burst and better hands. The guy I really want is Marcus Monk, but I don't even think he's eligible to come out.

As for tagging Nate, we wouldn't have to pay him anything if he signed w/ another team, we'd simply get compensated for him. I don't know that it will happen, maybe its a pipe-dream, but it seems like a better answer than letting him walk for free (I don't consider a future comp pick as of being much worth to us at the moment.)

Newton is tough to gauge, i don't think any of the TEs will be taken w/ the first 40 picks or so, but its tough to tell, they're all so close that it could simply come down to a teams preference as to who falls and who goes, but one thing is certain in my mind and thats that we need to give JP weapons (Robert Royal is NOT a weapon). Newton reminds me of Tony Gonzalez, and I like that. As for Hughes and Waters, those were just gueses, but I agree they'd both be good and I think both have a shot at being available there.

Finally, Kent would be my wish for a project wr, not Trannon. All state High Jumper in HS, still long jumps for an elite track school (until the combine came calling). World class sprinter, legit 6'5" body with basketball athleticism and length. I have a feeling that after the combine though, he'll be a 4th rounder.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

What do you guys have against Price?? He has been great for us this year. Also, I watched the Fletcher video again and I am sure that he won't be back. "I don't know, we'll have to see" is not a very convicing statement when asked about the bright future of the team. You guys must at least be less assured that he will stay after that video.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:27 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think that we will be relatively cheap in FA, but we will make one big signing. I do not think the signing will be either Clements or Fletcher. If anything, I think it will be Clements. If I were GM though, I would go after Fletcher instead. I really think that we will end up regretting signing Clements in a few years when we are in cap trouble from his "top corner" contract. I really hope that the signing is on the offensive line somewhere.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

What I have against Price is that he doensn't offer anything special, he's short, fastish, has ok hands, but I just described Andre Davis, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, and George Wilson. Honestly, he offers less. Davis offers great special teams play and probably more speed, Reed has better hands and runs better routes, parrish is a great returner, slot wr, and just great w/ the ball in his hands. Price is none of this. We need a redzone threat and w/ Lee double teamed and 8 in the box to stop willis, we need a guy thats better than mediocre w/ some size to keep moving the chains and score tds, somethine else that Price does not offer.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:45 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

As for free agency, if we can hang onto Gandy, Fletch, and get something in return for Nate, I really don't see much that we have to do. The right side of the OL needs fixing, but one signing and one draft pick can fix that, our depth would be good. I think drafting Beekman and signing Leonard Davis would fix that problem. Wouldn't be suprised to see us go after Max Starks w/ our OL coach being an ex steeler.

Other than the right side of the line... DJ Hackett? Pass rushing DE? Maybe a DT? CB if not addressed in the draft?

Our team has pretty good youth and depth everywhere so I don't really see a need to make a huge splash in Free agency, aside from Davis or Starks perhaps.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marv will not draft a WR in round 1, No way. We will go defense, no doubt in my mind. Also, I love Gandy as a fairly cheap solution to OG, he has been very solid.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:47 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S
Marv will not draft a WR in round 1, No way. We will go defense, no doubt in my mind. Also, I love Gandy as a fairly cheap solution to OG, he has been very solid.
Pretty much my thoughts on both points. I have made it very clear that I would love a WR in the first, but also that I doubt it happens.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, how do we sure up our run D, that is a huge problem for us. I say we need a big ass DT in there to clog it up, I say **** the system, but thats just me. A guy like Branch would look awfully nice in buffalo imo.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Ok, glazeduck, I agree after some revisiting that Kent looks like a much better project than Trannon. He just physically dominates and he doesn't have that laziness like Trannon. Seems like a solid possibility, but a lot of teams will probably look at him in the very late stages of the draft, especially if they are old in the WR position.

I too don't think that round one is the route we will take in finding a receiver to play opposite Evans. That is why I like looking at potential project players in later rounds. I think that we might pull a move and trade a late round pick or two to move down and get more late round picks and pick a few project players for later on that we can hide on our practice squad for 2 years when half our receivers will be gone.

I don't think we will get any big name free agents this year, I don't think Ralph will be able to out bid people well enough. Even with all the cap space we have, everyone else is looking good there as well.

I think our biggest priority this off season is taking steps towards building an offense that can defeat the 34 defense. All three other teams in the division run it now and we run the cover-2. We need an offensive line that can handle that and that is why I think that we could see an offensive guard coming in via the draft on day one, hopefully Josh Beekman or Ben Grubbs in round two. We are already pretty good for defending it with a fast LT in Peters and a quarterback who can escape pressure, but we need some help at guard and I think we will be able to find one long term starter at guard this off season.

I really wouldn't mind not signing any free agents this year because in a few years a lot of teams are going to be in cap hell with all this newly freed up money. Teams are going to be over paying guys and will pay for it down the road. If we draft smart and save this cap space for a couple years, especially once Pennington and Brady are over the hill and Losman is hitting his prime and the Dolphins having no identity at quarterback, we could be a legit super bowl team and win the division very easily in about 3 years and be able to do it for a 3 year span tidly.

After saying that, I would like to add that I would love to see Eric Steinbach in a Bills jersey next year as well as Kris Dielman anchoring our interior line beside Fowler. If those were our only two purchases I would be very excited. A kind of strange scenario I just made up in my head, we could do what the Vikings and Seahawks did last year with Hutchinson and Burleson but we could do it with Clements and Turner instead, the only thing we would have to do is make the Chargers think that they need Nate and the easiest way to do that would be to convince them that Quentin Jammer is a free safety and that Marlon McCree can play strong safety. Very unlikely just thought I would share that for the people who don't want to pay Nate and don't like McGahee long term.

As for where I stand with Peerless Price, I like the guy and all, but he isn't a starting receiver. Reed is just as good and has better hands and can use his body better. If we moved Price into the slot Parrish would prove that he is a better slot receiver with his open field ability. Then we would have him as our fourth receiver doing nothing but earning cash for doing nothing. At least Davis and Aiken add something on special teams. He isn't better than any of the three receivers behind him other than Aiken and he doesn't add something to the team that the other guys can't match or better. They all have something on him wether it is speed, hands, muscle, returning, special teams, etc. He is just there and fills up a 7 man deep receiver position. I didn't even mention Wilson's potential either.

To Rob, I agree that we need a presence in the middle, the thing that I hate about people who say 'won't fit the system' is that they base that on standards and size. Unfortunately with Mr. Branch he meets the requirements in terms of athletic ability and that is all that matters especially in our defense because he also adds 335 pounds of run stuffing ability coupled with defensive end pass rushing ability. He is the perfect fit for a cover-2 nose tackle IMO.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost
Ok, glazeduck, I agree after some revisiting that Kent looks like a much better project than Trannon. He just physically dominates and he doesn't have that laziness like Trannon. Seems like a solid possibility, but a lot of teams will probably look at him in the very late stages of the draft, especially if they are old in the WR position.

I too don't think that round one is the route we will take in finding a receiver to play opposite Evans. That is why I like looking at potential project players in later rounds. I think that we might pull a move and trade a late round pick or two to move down and get more late round picks and pick a few project players for later on that we can hide on our practice squad for 2 years when half our receivers will be gone.

I don't think we will get any big name free agents this year, I don't think Ralph will be able to out bid people well enough. Even with all the cap space we have, everyone else is looking good there as well.

I think our biggest priority this off season is taking steps towards building an offense that can defeat the 34 defense. All three other teams in the division run it now and we run the cover-2. We need an offensive line that can handle that and that is why I think that we could see an offensive guard coming in via the draft on day one, hopefully Josh Beekman or Ben Grubbs in round two. We are already pretty good for defending it with a fast LT in Peters and a quarterback who can escape pressure, but we need some help at guard and I think we will be able to find one long term starter at guard this off season.

I really wouldn't mind not signing any free agents this year because in a few years a lot of teams are going to be in cap hell with all this newly freed up money. Teams are going to be over paying guys and will pay for it down the road. If we draft smart and save this cap space for a couple years, especially once Pennington and Brady are over the hill and Losman is hitting his prime and the Dolphins having no identity at quarterback, we could be a legit super bowl team and win the division very easily in about 3 years and be able to do it for a 3 year span tidly.

After saying that, I would like to add that I would love to see Eric Steinbach in a Bills jersey next year as well as Kris Dielman anchoring our interior line beside Fowler. If those were our only two purchases I would be very excited. A kind of strange scenario I just made up in my head, we could do what the Vikings and Seahawks did last year with Hutchinson and Burleson but we could do it with Clements and Turner instead, the only thing we would have to do is make the Chargers think that they need Nate and the easiest way to do that would be to convince them that Quentin Jammer is a free safety and that Marlon McCree can play strong safety. Very unlikely just thought I would share that for the people who don't want to pay Nate and don't like McGahee long term.

As for where I stand with Peerless Price, I like the guy and all, but he isn't a starting receiver. Reed is just as good and has better hands and can use his body better. If we moved Price into the slot Parrish would prove that he is a better slot receiver with his open field ability. Then we would have him as our fourth receiver doing nothing but earning cash for doing nothing. At least Davis and Aiken add something on special teams. He isn't better than any of the three receivers behind him other than Aiken and he doesn't add something to the team that the other guys can't match or better. They all have something on him wether it is speed, hands, muscle, returning, special teams, etc. He is just there and fills up a 7 man deep receiver position. I didn't even mention Wilson's potential either.

To Rob, I agree that we need a presence in the middle, the thing that I hate about people who say 'won't fit the system' is that they base that on standards and size. Unfortunately with Mr. Branch he meets the requirements in terms of athletic ability and that is all that matters especially in our defense because he also adds 335 pounds of run stuffing ability coupled with defensive end pass rushing ability. He is the perfect fit for a cover-2 nose tackle IMO.
Me too, you will find that many people will disagree though.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost
He is the perfect fit for a cover-2 nose tackle IMO.
Me too, you will find that many people will disagree though.
Ugh.. I know, I started saying it after the Notre Dame - Michigan game on here in one of my mock drafts and everyone bashed me for it. Bill Belicheck said it best when he said size doesn't matter, it is how they play and how they play into the scheme or something like that. Branch is athletically more gifted than any of the 290 pound defensive tackles in this years draft but he is 6-6 330 so people go bonzai when you say he could play in a cover-2 yet fail to realize that he is faster than most 34 defensive ends and even some 43 defensive ends, I bet he is faster than Ryan Denney. He would solve a lot of our run defense problems, but unfortunately I can't see him falling out of the top 10 or even top 6 or 7 for that matter.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Yeah, i cant see him falling either. We can dream though.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Insert Alan Branch

Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?im...reamingkw7.jpg
Old 12-29-2006, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?im...reamingkw7.jpg
Old 12-29-2006, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend