Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

finally worked
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S
All night long, baby.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:27 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I hope to god we don't sign Max Starks, Leonard Davis or Jordan Black. Both are big, unathletic lineman who give up alot of sacks. The OL that I would go after:

1. OG Eric Steinbach (Bengals): 16 Games Started, 3.5 sacks allowed, 4 penalties
2. OG Kris Dielman (Chargers): 15 GS, 2 sacks allowed, 5 penalties
3. OG Jake Scott (Colts) - 16 GS, 2 sacks allowed, 6 penalties, RFA, 5th Round Tender (we'd have to give up our 4th because we have no 5th)
4. OG Derrick Dockery (Redskins): 16 GS, 3 sacks allowed, 7 penalties
5. RT/OG Sean Locklear (Seahawks) - 10 GS, 6.5 sacks allowed, 3 penalties, RFA, 3rd Round Tender

All of these guys are athletic lineman who would come in and start right away. I really think that we could get Jake Scott, who I really like, but we would probably have to give up a mid-rounder for him and we already gave one up for Hargrove, but he is worth it.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:03 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Very Early Offseason

Not re-signed: Clements, Fletcher, A-Train
Signed: OG Jake Scott (4th Round Comp), OLB Cato June (experience in the Cover 2), DT Cory Redding

Draft:
1) CB Josh Wilson (Maryland)
2) OG Josh Beekman (Boston College)
3) RB Lorenzo Booker (Florida State)
4) Compensation for Jake Scott
5) Traded for Anthony Hargrove
6) CB DeAndre Jackson (Iowa State)
7) DT Conrad Bolston (Maryland)

Backfield: Losman - McGahee - Shelton - Booker (3DRB)
Secondary: McGee - Whitner - Simpson - Wilson (McGee, Wilson, Youboty, Greer, Jackson)
Linebackers: Spikes - Crowell - June (Ellison backup)
O-Line: Peters - Scott - Fowler - Beekman - Pennington
Old 12-30-2006, 02:20 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilson's only chance at the first round is his speed, which is not a reason for us to take him
And why do you want to replace Gandy so much? He's fine at guard, and a 4th round pick sure would be nice to have
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:26 AM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

glazeduck smells like sex panther.

couple thoughts on the last few posts...

1. Kris Dielman has been locked up for a very very long time (and at a very reasonable rate I might add)

2. Obviously I'd love Alan Branch. I'd love Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams, Joe Thomas, Leon Hall, and probably even Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson, but I don't believe any of those players are realistic to consider where we'll be drafting.

Barring alot of early entries, we'll have our choice of a handful of 2nd round cbs, 2nd rd Olinemen, 2nd rd (or overrated) Dlinemen, a few possible linebackers (not a need if we can reup Fletch), a large group of 2nd-3rd rd TEs, or several 1st rd WRs. Seems like a pretty easy answer to me, but I also agree that we'll probably go DEF, i just don't want us to.

3. I don't understand how we're supposed to not sign any free agents and then turn around and sign the two best guards on the market (one actually isn't)...Steinbach will demand a big payday and he'll get it. While I'd be stoked to get him, I'd be just as happy resigning Gandy, drafting Beekman, and finding a RT.

Alot of people have been saying Ben Grubbs lately, I guess I haven't seen enough of him, but I'm not a fan and would say he's more of a late day 1 pick at best.
glazeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Wilson's only chance at the first round is his speed, which is not a reason for us to take him
And why do you want to replace Gandy so much? He's fine at guard, and a 4th round pick sure would be nice to have
Dude, no offense, but do you know anything about Josh Wilson? If you watch Wilson, he is so much more than speed. Speed (4.28 40) is like the icing on the cake. He actually has cover skills, is physical and is a great tackler as well. Even though we don't need another one, he is a great returner and special teamer (has blocked a kick this year). He even won the Jim Tatum Award in the ACC for the top student-athlete (3.24 GPA). His downside is that his hands aren't too great (12 PD and only 3 INT's) and he is short. He's basically Antoine Winfield with speed. He also has the confidence and swagger to be a top "shutdown" corner in the NFL. He calls himself "The Truth." They barely threw to his side last night and he still got an INT when they did. He will be a first rounder by the time the draft rolls around.

I want to replace Gandy because he has let up 10.5 sacks this year and simply put is a mediocre o-lineman who should not be starting in the NFL. Why settle for "fine" at guard when you can get a lineman with potential and consistency? In 3 years, Jake Scott has only given up 6 sacks. Even if you subtract that dreadful Lions game from Gandy's resume, he still would have 6.5 sacks in ONE year. I personally have had enough with Donahoe Era players where he brought in cheap fixes of the OL. I'm willing to solidify the line for at least 5 more years if it means giving up a 4th round pick.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazeduck
couple thoughts on the last few posts...

1. Kris Dielman has been locked up for a very very long time (and at a very reasonable rate I might add)

2. Obviously I'd love Alan Branch. I'd love Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams, Joe Thomas, Leon Hall, and probably even Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson, but I don't believe any of those players are realistic to consider where we'll be drafting.

Barring alot of early entries, we'll have our choice of a handful of 2nd round cbs, 2nd rd Olinemen, 2nd rd (or overrated) Dlinemen, a few possible linebackers (not a need if we can reup Fletch), a large group of 2nd-3rd rd TEs, or several 1st rd WRs. Seems like a pretty easy answer to me, but I also agree that we'll probably go DEF, i just don't want us to.

3. I don't understand how we're supposed to not sign any free agents and then turn around and sign the two best guards on the market (one actually isn't)...Steinbach will demand a big payday and he'll get it. While I'd be stoked to get him, I'd be just as happy resigning Gandy, drafting Beekman, and finding a RT.

Alot of people have been saying Ben Grubbs lately, I guess I haven't seen enough of him, but I'm not a fan and would say he's more of a late day 1 pick at best.
Link? I'm 99.9% sure that he's an unrestricted free agent after this year.

Also, I think that we are set at RT and won't be upgrading it. Pennington has actually played well and will only improve and Butler can back him up. Peters, Folwer and Pennington should remain the starters and we should upgrade both guard positions.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

I don't think we will be able to get 2 new guards for next year. I am more in favor of drafting or signing a right guard and giving Gandy a full year of work at left guard. Then in 2008 we will know wether or not we are going to keep at it with Pennington and wether or not Gandy can play ball. Then we can pick up a guy in rounds 2-4 and pluck them in at left guard or possibly right tackle if Pennington isn't working out.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:42 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/kris-dielman.htm

"The Chargers think so highly of the former Hoosier that they extended the restricted free agent a first-round tender in 2006 and signed Dielman to a one-year contract in March."

My fault, I thought for sure they'd locked him up w/ a long term extension. Strange because this happened a day or two before they extended Gates, Parker and Phillips long term and they made a big deal about him being the most important extension.

Oh well...guess we do have another target...highly doubt we'll get him though

As far as link requests go...I'd like to see a link of Gandy's performance SINCE being moved to LG...

I've watched every Bills game this year and since the move Gandy seems to have been playing very well at LG, I personally think he, Peters, and Fowler can gel into a fabulous left side, and I also agree about Pennington being decent, I think the front office has enough faith in him to let him keep the job and grow over the offseason and next year.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

How did you watch every Bills game, they all get blacked out, the only reason I saw the last 2 games is because I went to the games.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:07 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Updated Mock

Rd. 1) WR Jeff "Shark" Samardzjia (Notre Dame) - Amazing body control, size and hands. Great red zone target, which we obviously lack. Not slow by any means, but is a great compliment to Lee Evans' speed. Evans and Shark. Now those are just scary good WR's. Pro Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

Rd. 2) CB Josh "The Truth" Wilson (Maryland) - Shutdown corner with great speed, tackling and return ability. Great student as well. Would compete with Youboty for the #2 CB role. Pro Comparison: Antoine Winfield, Vikings

Rd. 3) RB Lorenzo Booker (Florida State) - Underrated RB who was a top recruit coming out of HS. His skill set is very comprable to Reggie Bush - great hands, speed and jukes. Also, he has never "carried the load" like Reggie never did and sometimes makes too many jukes and loses yards like Reggie has been in the NFL. Going to FSU was probably the worst choice that Booker made, I truly believe that he would have produced much more at a different college. At the very least, Booker would come in as a 3 Down RB. Hopefully, he would prove good enough for the organization to let McGahee walk in FA or at least push McGahee to get better. Pro Comparison: Reggie Bush, Saints (Obviously less talented)

Rd. 4) Compensation for OG Jake Scott

Rd. 5) Traded for DE Anthony Hargrove

Rd. 6) CB DeAndre Jackson (Iowa State) - Has the talent that warrants a first day selection but his injury will drop his stock. A ball hawk cover corner who also is a great kick returner. Had 105 tackles, 18 pass defended, 6 INT's and 4 forced fumbles in 2 years as a starter and was 33rd nationally in returning. As we all know, you can never have enough CB's, and our corps would be young and talented with McGee, Youboty, Wilson, Greer and Jackson. Pro Comparison: Deltha O'Neal, Cincinnati Bengals

Rd. 7) Some depth in TE or LB
Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

Ghost-

I watched all the games because I'm on the West coast and am the manager of a sports bar. Its a good life on sunday :)

Art-

I'd need a gaurantee from Shark that he'd be ok w/ playing football and only football before i picked him anywhere in the 1st day, let alone rd. 1. Where we'll be picking we would have a decent shot at Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Ginn (not a huge fan b/c of his lack of size but he's certainly an explosive playmaker), and should have no problem at having Rice be available (assuming he comes out) so anything less from JS would be...BS
Old 12-30-2006, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay
Updated Mock

Rd. 1) WR Jeff "Shark" Samardzjia (Notre Dame) - Amazing body control, size and hands. Great red zone target, which we obviously lack. Not slow by any means, but is a great compliment to Lee Evans' speed. Evans and Shark. Now those are just scary good WR's. Pro Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

Rd. 2) CB Josh "The Truth" Wilson (Maryland) - Shutdown corner with great speed, tackling and return ability. Great student as well. Would compete with Youboty for the #2 CB role. Pro Comparison: Antoine Winfield, Vikings

Rd. 3) RB Lorenzo Booker (Florida State) - Underrated RB who was a top recruit coming out of HS. His skill set is very comprable to Reggie Bush - great hands, speed and jukes. Also, he has never "carried the load" like Reggie never did and sometimes makes too many jukes and loses yards like Reggie has been in the NFL. Going to FSU was probably the worst choice that Booker made, I truly believe that he would have produced much more at a different college. At the very least, Booker would come in as a 3 Down RB. Hopefully, he would prove good enough for the organization to let McGahee walk in FA or at least push McGahee to get better. Pro Comparison: Reggie Bush, Saints (Obviously less talented)

Rd. 4) Compensation for OG Jake Scott

Rd. 5) Traded for DE Anthony Hargrove

Rd. 6) CB DeAndre Jackson (Iowa State) - Has the talent that warrants a first day selection but his injury will drop his stock. A ball hawk cover corner who also is a great kick returner. Had 105 tackles, 18 pass defended, 6 INT's and 4 forced fumbles in 2 years as a starter and was 33rd nationally in returning. As we all know, you can never have enough CB's, and our corps would be young and talented with McGee, Youboty, Wilson, Greer and Jackson. Pro Comparison: Deltha O'Neal, Cincinnati Bengals

Rd. 7) Some depth in TE or LB
You'll need to revise this. Samardzija signed a guaranteed 7 million dollar baseball contract. While he has stated that he'd like to play both sports professionally, no GM is going to draft him in round 1 unless he is fully committed to pro football. He could fall all the way to round 3/4.
Because of the huge cap $$$ each team received this season, very few FA's will change hands. It is going to be a very poor year for FA's as many teams are 20 million under the cap.
You also don't pay compensation in the year you sign a FA, you pay that the following year.
I completely agree with you on Booker. Totally under utilized at Florida St.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Also, I don't think a fourth round pick will cut it for Scott. The Colts know taht he is good and will want to keep him around. Because they don't have a second round pick anymore, they are probably going to give him close to a maximum tender so that if anyone wants to get him they will need to give up a second round pick or something. Just a thought.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:55 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost
Also, I don't think a fourth round pick will cut it for Scott. The Colts know taht he is good and will want to keep him around. Because they don't have a second round pick anymore, they are probably going to give him close to a maximum tender so that if anyone wants to get him they will need to give up a second round pick or something. Just a thought.
Maximum tender is a 1st rounder and 3rd rounder. Middle is just a 1st. General is at least the round that they were drafted in. So since we don't have a 5th, we would have to give up a 4th.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Maximum tender is a 1st rounder and 3rd rounder. Middle is just a 1st. General is at least the round that they were drafted in. So since we don't have a 5th, we would have to give up a 4th.
Why would they give him such a ****** offer though, they are just asking teams to steal him away, they might as well not offer him anything and sign him as a UFA, I think you can do that anyways.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

-I think a better comparison for Booker is Michael Turner. As much as I like him I think some team will reach for him in the mid-late 2nd (giants maybe?) due to his performance in the bowl game and a good showing at the combine.

I can promise you that DeAndre Jackson won't fall to the 6th round. 3rd or 4th maybe, but certainly not the 6th.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
-I think a better comparison for Booker is Michael Turner. As much as I like him I think some team will reach for him in the mid-late 2nd (giants maybe?) due to his performance in the bowl game and a good showing at the combine.

I can promise you that DeAndre Jackson won't fall to the 6th round. 3rd or 4th maybe, but certainly not the 6th.
Jackson is an early fourth round guy for me, before the injury he was a potential first rounder and lock for mid day one pretty much, he has excellent size and can make plays in the cover-2 scheme, I think he is the 3-6 best cover-2 corner behind Leon Hall and Daymeion Hughes and maybe Darrelle Revis, Tanard Jackson and Josh Wilson.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:57 PM    (permalink

does anyone wanna do a sig or avatar bet on the game ?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why would they give him such a *********** offer though, they are just asking teams to steal him away, they might as well not offer him anything and sign him as a UFA, I think you can do that anyways.
If the Colts didn't want anyone to get him, they would probably have to offer him the middle tender, which is a 1 year deal worth 1.55 million and the compensation is a 1st Round pick. This is opposed to the general tender 1 year deal worth $712,000 which would require 4th Round compensation from us. Keep in mind that their other starting guard, Ryan Lilja, is an RFA and they drafted 2 OL in last year's draft. Just something to think about.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:25 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:

Booker is nothing like Michael Turner. They are almost complete opposites. Booker is light and elusive while Turner is powerful and fast. Booker has great hands out of the backfield while on the other hand Turner's hands need some work. Turner also has about 40 pounds on Booker. Booker's running style, strengths and weaknesses are all very similar to Reggie Bush. For Turner, Earl Campbell is a good comparison.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:30 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Dude, no offense, but do you know anything about Josh Wilson? If you watch Wilson, he is so much more than speed. Speed (4.28 40) is like the icing on the cake. He actually has cover skills, is physical and is a great tackler as well. Even though we don't need another one, he is a great returner and special teamer (has blocked a kick this year). He even won the Jim Tatum Award in the ACC for the top student-athlete (3.24 GPA). His downside is that his hands aren't too great (12 PD and only 3 INT's) and he is short. He's basically Antoine Winfield with speed. He also has the confidence and swagger to be a top "shutdown" corner in the NFL. He calls himself "The Truth." They barely threw to his side last night and he still got an INT when they did. He will be a first rounder by the time the draft rolls around.

I want to replace Gandy because he has let up 10.5 sacks this year and simply put is a mediocre o-lineman who should not be starting in the NFL. Why settle for "fine" at guard when you can get a lineman with potential and consistency? In 3 years, Jake Scott has only given up 6 sacks. Even if you subtract that dreadful Lions game from Gandy's resume, he still would have 6.5 sacks in ONE year. I personally have had enough with Donahoe Era players where he brought in cheap fixes of the OL. I'm willing to solidify the line for at least 5 more years if it means giving up a 4th round pick.
Eh, I wouldn't call Wilson a great tackler, but him in the 2nd in your revised mock seems better to me, if he's there. I just don't want him in the first as much.
And Gandy gave up those sacks out of position. I have no problem with him starting at guard.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gandy is very solid at OG, at LT he sucks, but he is a starting caliber OG.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:02 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

How awesome was the first play of the year