Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 12-31-2006, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That play owned.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:13 PM    (permalink
cooter

If we did cut Price, how much of a salary cap hit would we take?? If I remember correctly, we signed him to a 3 year/10 mill deal right?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

BuffaloDraftGeek hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ok, I know its long, but here is my (extended) Buffalo Bills offseason plan:

Our own Players
-Resign Clements: This one is huge. I don't care if we have to overpay. There is no one else out there, and we can't afford to burn our first pick on a CB.
-Try to resign Fletcher to a 2-3 year deal, if he wants a longer one let him walk and Ellison becomes a starter (Crowell to MLB).
-Trade or cut TKO. As much as I hate to say it, I think it is time to move on. IMO he is this years Lawyer Milloy. During our run of dominant defenses he was a key player. However, his injury has really prohibited him. He now has trouble recognizing plays, and is a poor tackler. Additionaly, he is due a HUGE roster bonus in may, I'd rather not take a chance with that one.
-Resign Gandy, he is suitable at guard. Let him fight with Preston for the LG spot.
-Resign Hargrove, Andre Davis, and the other roll players.
-Resign Kelsay if there's no better option (A bigger guy).
-Release Villarial. Injured too often and isn't a dominant runblocker anymore. He's only decent, and I'd rather move on and save some money.
-Resign Lindel: duh
-Let Shelton go
-Cut everett, Ceislak and Royal are both better than him.
-Let Anderson walk
-Cut Kelly Holcomb: no real need for him, save salary. Good luck elsewhere.
-Resign Anthony Thomas

Free Agency
I really don't see us making a lot of big FA moves, but the ones we do make I would like to be huge.
-Sign a big name G: I don't care who it is, but I want a real wuality guard. Not a stop-gap like Reyes, or Anderson, or some of the other guards we've brought in, but a real quality guard. Steinbach tops my list, if we can get him.
-Sign Nick Goings. IMO Nick Goings is one of the most under-rated players in the league. He can play both FB and HB, and is a good player at both positions. He hasn't seen a lot of time at HB do to the revolving door of RB's on the panthers (Williams, Davis, Foster) but whenever he's had to come in due to injury he has been very effective. What I want him more for is FB though. He splits time at FB in carolina with hoover, but goings is a nasty lead blocker who can put people on there backs. He also is a dynamic receiver out of the backfield.
-Sign Grahm or Johnson, TE. Neither of them are amazing blocking TE's, though they are decent, but their specialty is receiving, something we need. Both will not be retained because of Watson and Davis, but both are adequate players. Doesn't matter which one.
-Sign Terdell Sands, DT Oakland. Sands is a high-motor guy with some meet to him. He won't put a ton of presure on the QB, but he is a good run-stuffer who has been stuck behind more popular (notice I didn't say better) players than him in Oakland. He is DEFINETLY an upgrade over Anderson.

Draft
-I'm going to assume we got around a 3rd rounder for Spikes. I then want us to package that pick and our 2nd rounder to move up into the later first round.

-1st Round: Dwayne Jarett; WR USC: A big receiver who can give us some consistancy. Runs solid routes and knows how to get open. Will help out in the redzone and on short yard plays.
-1st RoundB: Paul Posluszny; OLB Penn State: I know a lot of people don't like this pick and would rather have Willis, but this is a player we can get with a WR. Poslunszny we can get in the back end of round one. He also fits our scheme perfectly.
-3rd Round: Ryan Harris; OT ND: A good OT for us as far as his ability to get outside and set up screens and sweeps. He can fight with Pennington (and I'm pretty sure he'll win) for the RT spot.
-4th Round: Drew Tate; QB Iowa: I know a lot of people don't have Tate going until the 5th, but after his bowl game I think he'll raise his stock. Had he been on a good team this year there would be no doubt in my mind he's be a 1st or 2nd round pick. This is more of a pick looking for a long-term back-up, and an inssurance policy, just in case.
-6th and 7th round picks not sure about yet. I'd like to get a DE and center in them though.

Projected 2007 (Dream) Team
QB: Losman, Nall, Tate
RB: McGahee, Thomas, (Goings)
FB: Goings, (Cieslak)
XWR: Jarett, Price
YWR: Evans, Davis
ZWR: Reed, Parrish

TE: Royal, Grahm, Ceislak
LT: Peters, Butler
LG: Gandy, Preston
C: Fowler, (preston), late round center
RG: Steinbach, preston
RT: Ryan Harris, Pennington

LDE: Schobel, Hargrove
DT: Triplett, Williams, Sands, McCargo, (Hargrove)
RDE: Denny, Kelsay/FA
LOLB: Paul Posluszny, Hagan
MLB: Fletcher/Crowell, Digi
ROLB: Crowell/Ellison, Wire, Hagan
CB: Clements, McGee, Youboty, Greer, KThomas
SS: Whitner, Bowen
FS: Simpson, Leonhard

-ST remains the same
-Name in () means its not their actual position.

I know its a reach, but the fact is we can afford it, the only problem is if the players are willing to come to buffalo.
BuffaloDraftGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Why does everyone hate Price so much? I would MUCH rather have him than Josh Reed. Hell, I'll take George Wilson over Josh Reed. Everytime I watch Reed he drops the ball. I've never seen him make one great catch or move after the catch. One the other hand, that's what I see everytime from Price. Very reliable hands and quick, just not big or physical. Would you really rather have Reed over Price?
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 AM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

Wow, where do I start? Reed hardly drops the ball "everytime you watch," in fact he's had only 3 drops all year, which is well below league average. Reed hasn't had drop problems in quite a few years.

Price has some explosion, but is VERY inconsistant. He runs poor routes and struggles to get open. He is only good as a deep fly runner when the other guy is double teamed.

Reed, for 3 years now, has lead our team in 1st down completions. He runs amazing routes, and is our best blocking wide receiver. Also, how can you say he makes no moves after the catch? He's been given the name the human pinball by his team-mates because of the way he bounces of defenders. Do you not remember the Ne game last year? He is a good receiver for YAC.

Albeit, Price is a better #2 option than Reed, but Reed is by far the better slot option. Price is not good ennough to be a solid #2, which is why I say we draft a big WR who price can alternate with.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

After watching the Marv Levy show yesterday, I am absolutely positive that we will sign or draft a big-name, big boy DT. Marv kept saying that our #1 problem was stopping the run. If Branch enters and somehow falls to the 12th pick, there is no doubt in my mind that we will take him. Also, don't overlook Amobi Okoye either. Remember, Whitner was a projected mid to late 1st rounder when we took him with the 8th pick. I personally would be very happy with either Branch or Okoye.

Thoughts?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

I don't think we will take a DT in the first round. We just drafted McCargo in the first round last year, and its usualy a general rule you don't take the same position two years in a row. We have 3/4 DT's we need for our rotation, now all we need is a 4th one to replace anderson and rotated with Williams, someone who can stop the run.

As I pointed out, I really like Sands from Oakland. He is a big guy who can excell in stopping the run, but hasn't gotten a lot of recognition because he's been (unfairly) stuck behind warren sapp. Additionaly he's a high-motor guy who never takes a play off and gets to the ball. He would be the perfect fit, making our DT rotation Triplett/McCargo and Williams/Sands.

I have to say our problems stopping the run are just as much the LB's(specificly spikes) as the DT's. As much as I hate to say it this team can't move forward with spikes on the team. He isn't physical anymore, struggles in recognition, and lacks big-play ability. Drafting Poz would really help. A core of Poz-Crowell-Ellison or Poz-Fletcher-Crowell would be very impressive.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:20 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Cutting Holcomb would be idiotic, he only has 1 year left and is a great backup. Losman, Holcomb and Nall makes our QB rotation set and we have too many needs to cut a QB and then draft another. Also, what's so special about Drew Tate? Please don't try comparing him to Drew Brees either like others have. Tate obviously has passion for the game but in my mind is no more than a "gamer" and is too short and unskilled for the NFL. I would be suprised if he even got drafted. I would even take Ken Dorsey over Tate.

Signing Clements hurts our team more than it helps us. He has come out and said that he deserves Champ Bailey type money (7 years, $63 million) and we simply cannot afford that. Plus, Clements is NOT CONSISTENT. We all know this. We just cannot give him that kind of money. We can find a suitable, albeit not better, alternative in the draft or FA. Josh Wilson in the 2nd would be ideal.

Not sure why you want another blocking TE. Royal is a blocking TE. We need a playmaker at TE and Daniel Graham is not that. Who's Johnson?

Obviously, I disagree with re-signing Gandy and I think a team will overpay for the A-Train. I agree with letting Tim Anderson go. If we re-sign him, I will seriously wonder what Marv is doing. I still don't understand why he invested 20 million in 2 medicore WR's last year. That still bothers me. Releasing Villareal is a good move but why not re-sign Shelton? You would put Goings at FB? Ehh...

I would like to know what kind of bonus TKO is owed. If it was a ridiculous amount of money I would agree to part ways but I think that we should retain him because we are already thin at LB and I am almost positive that Fletcher won't be back. Terdell Sands? Ehhh more of a NT for a 3-4 in my mind. Check out Cory Redding of Detroit.

I'm not high on Jarrett or Poz, I actually think both will have disappointing careers and are overrated as prospects. Can you explain how Poz fits the Cover 2? Because I really don't think he does. I'm not enamored with Jarrett. He had one great game against a weak Notre Dame secondary and has actually been terribly inconsistent all season for USC. He really has had alot of drops. His amazing 1 handed catch really put him back on the map because his stock was dropping for a long time. He doesn't live up to his measurables like Calvin Johnson does. I really see Mike Williams in him - inconsistent hands and slow.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:26 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek
I don't think we will take a DT in the first round. We just drafted McCargo in the first round last year, and its usualy a general rule you don't take the same position two years in a row. We have 3/4 DT's we need for our rotation, now all we need is a 4th one to replace anderson and rotated with Williams, someone who can stop the run.

As I pointed out, I really like Sands from Oakland. He is a big guy who can excell in stopping the run, but hasn't gotten a lot of recognition because he's been (unfairly) stuck behind warren sapp. Additionaly he's a high-motor guy who never takes a play off and gets to the ball. He would be the perfect fit, making our DT rotation Triplett/McCargo and Williams/Sands.

I have to say our problems stopping the run are just as much the LB's(specificly spikes) as the DT's. As much as I hate to say it this team can't move forward with spikes on the team. He isn't physical anymore, struggles in recognition, and lacks big-play ability. Drafting Poz would really help. A core of Poz-Crowell-Ellison or Poz-Fletcher-Crowell would be very impressive.
I am not advocating drafting a DT in the 1st but I would not be suprised at all if we did. DT is a very important position in the Tampa 2. Remember, bigger is not always better with DT's. Strength over fat. Sands is huge, but so is Ted Washington. Obviously it's not all muscle. Remember Brodrick Bunkley? Modrak thought he could play NT in our scheme because of his strength and he is under 300 lbs.

Also, those trades you mentioned would never happen and we won't have two 1st round picks this year.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek
Wow, where do I start? Reed hardly drops the ball "everytime you watch," in fact he's had only 3 drops all year, which is well below league average. Reed hasn't had drop problems in quite a few years.

Price has some explosion, but is VERY inconsistant. He runs poor routes and struggles to get open. He is only good as a deep fly runner when the other guy is double teamed.

Reed, for 3 years now, has lead our team in 1st down completions. He runs amazing routes, and is our best blocking wide receiver. Also, how can you say he makes no moves after the catch? He's been given the name the human pinball by his team-mates because of the way he bounces of defenders. Do you not remember the Ne game last year? He is a good receiver for YAC.

Albeit, Price is a better #2 option than Reed, but Reed is by far the better slot option. Price is not good ennough to be a solid #2, which is why I say we draft a big WR who price can alternate with.
You've made some good points, I won't argue, but I'll just say this: I would take Price over Reed anyday. Neither are great WR's, and they should probably both be slot WR's in the NFL. Again, I am just so mad that we invested $20 Million in both of these guys because we have Roscoe Parrish as a slot WR. It's a shame we are paying our 4th WR that much money. Plus, every fan wants a posession guy so that would bump a $10 million WR to the 5th spot on the roster! That is absurd. Behind that we have very good recievers too - namely Andre Davis, Sam Aiken and George Wilson. It's such a strange situation that I think we will look for a playmaker and red zone target at the TE position and keep Evans, Price and Reed as our top 3 for next year, even though I don't condone it. Neither Price or Reed have played poorly enough to be cut this year so it will be an interesting offseason at the WR position for sure.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
pysseddoph
Rookie

pysseddoph hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

WOW ....
thats about all i can say about these last 3 posts.
but everyone has their opinion regardless how well worded and wrong they may be.

couple of points ....
chances are nate will be resigned for more than a couple of reasons. marv has mr wilson's ear, marv has stated its more important to retain your own than to go get someone elses. mr wilson wont let snyder sign nate away and washington is the leading spot for nate to go if for no other reason than because its snyder and what he represents. also k. thomas has said he doesnt think he wants to come back to buffalo, he wants to play closer to home which is in georgia. the other reason is the bills are in great shape cap wise and nate is going to get something. there arent many teams in better cap position than the bills so the notion of being too expensive doesnt fly.

the bills and their run defense = out to drafting a dt. ummmm .... no. the bills staff has already stated that it is the linebacking unit that they are going to have to take a real hard look at and reports from the bills inside reporter have stated that dont be surprised if the whole entire unit is revamped. which makes sense considering in the cover 2 the bills run it is the job of the linebackers when it comes to run support. people tend to think of the bears when they want to compare the bills cover 2. think more to the colts because personel wise we match up better with how they try to run it. besides that ... the bills traded back into the 1st round this past draft to get a DT who is a question mark because he went out on ir just as he was getting into the regular rotation.

along with talking about the linebackers ... fletcher is all but gone. hes looking for a finacial payday and a long term contract. fletcher is also upset that the bills didnt offer him an extension last year and his tone in his press conference today suggests that his approach boarders on "when hell freezes over" . the play of tko has to be looked at with the amount of money he actually is going to cost the team then you also have to balance the fact he is coming of an achilles injury and then a hamstring injury but with all that you cant ignore the fact the tko was replaced and outplayed by a 5th round rookie. tko was taken out of the game in obvious passing situations because he was a liability. linebackers in this bills cover 2 ar required to be able to pass defend.

this thing of drafting a receiver with the 1st rd pick .... i dont know. the bills are not looking for a #1 receiver ... they have that, they are in need of a solid #2. free agency or later in the draft should be able to give them that. big tall possession receivers have a strong tendancy to be boom or bust. not many inbetween. charles rogers , mike williams to name a few. at the same time that would be too much cap tied up into the receiver position with the bills. your still going to have to do something with lee evan's contract come next year because you dont want to get into a bidding war with the one receiver that your qb is on the same page with.

so reading the writting on all the walls .... it seems the bills are pretty much looking to go lb with their 12th pick in this coming draft.

oline? it would be a guard. peters and pennington are pretty much locks to the tackle positions they know the offense and the calls, anybody else would have to beat them out for their jobs. i dont see that happening. audition time was this past offseason with the bills. the bills will spend this ota, minicamp and preseason getting better with their starters ... not trying to see who their starters are going to be.

which brings us to kelly holcomb. with the job being jp's and his alone going into next season as per the coach, gm and the owner .... kelly may be the odd man out. IF it wasnt for the fact nall got hurt he would have been putting pressure on jp for the starting position. the simple fact that nall basically split time with jp those final 2 preseason games pretty much tells me holcomb wont be able to hold off nall for the #2 spot with the bills. holcomb gets paid too much to be 3rd string on this team so holcomb maybe cut.

all of this is my opinion and i could be wrong as well but i take mine from what i see and what i hear coming out of the mouths of the people envolved.
pysseddoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysseddoph
WOW ....
thats about all i can say about these last 3 posts.
but everyone has their opinion regardless how well worded and wrong they may be.

couple of points ....
chances are nate will be resigned for more than a couple of reasons. marv has mr wilson's ear, marv has stated its more important to retain your own than to go get someone elses. mr wilson wont let snyder sign nate away and washington is the leading spot for nate to go if for no other reason than because its snyder and what he represents. also k. thomas has said he doesnt think he wants to come back to buffalo, he wants to play closer to home which is in georgia. the other reason is the bills are in great shape cap wise and nate is going to get something. there arent many teams in better cap position than the bills so the notion of being too expensive doesnt fly.

the bills and their run defense = out to drafting a dt. ummmm .... no. the bills staff has already stated that it is the linebacking unit that they are going to have to take a real hard look at and reports from the bills inside reporter have stated that dont be surprised if the whole entire unit is revamped. which makes sense considering in the cover 2 the bills run it is the job of the linebackers when it comes to run support. people tend to think of the bears when they want to compare the bills cover 2. think more to the colts because personel wise we match up better with how they try to run it. besides that ... the bills traded back into the 1st round this past draft to get a DT who is a question mark because he went out on ir just as he was getting into the regular rotation.

along with talking about the linebackers ... fletcher is all but gone. hes looking for a finacial payday and a long term contract. fletcher is also upset that the bills didnt offer him an extension last year and his tone in his press conference today suggests that his approach boarders on "when hell freezes over" . the play of tko has to be looked at with the amount of money he actually is going to cost the team then you also have to balance the fact he is coming of an achilles injury and then a hamstring injury but with all that you cant ignore the fact the tko was replaced and outplayed by a 5th round rookie. tko was taken out of the game in obvious passing situations because he was a liability. linebackers in this bills cover 2 ar required to be able to pass defend.

this thing of drafting a receiver with the 1st rd pick .... i dont know. the bills are not looking for a #1 receiver ... they have that, they are in need of a solid #2. free agency or later in the draft should be able to give them that. big tall possession receivers have a strong tendancy to be boom or bust. not many inbetween. charles rogers , mike williams to name a few. at the same time that would be too much cap tied up into the receiver position with the bills. your still going to have to do something with lee evan's contract come next year because you dont want to get into a bidding war with the one receiver that your qb is on the same page with.

so reading the writting on all the walls .... it seems the bills are pretty much looking to go lb with their 12th pick in this coming draft.

oline? it would be a guard. peters and pennington are pretty much locks to the tackle positions they know the offense and the calls, anybody else would have to beat them out for their jobs. i dont see that happening. audition time was this past offseason with the bills. the bills will spend this ota, minicamp and preseason getting better with their starters ... not trying to see who their starters are going to be.

which brings us to kelly holcomb. with the job being jp's and his alone going into next season as per the coach, gm and the owner .... kelly may be the odd man out. IF it wasnt for the fact nall got hurt he would have been putting pressure on jp for the starting position. the simple fact that nall basically split time with jp those final 2 preseason games pretty much tells me holcomb wont be able to hold off nall for the #2 spot with the bills. holcomb gets paid too much to be 3rd string on this team so holcomb maybe cut.

all of this is my opinion and i could be wrong as well but i take mine from what i see and what i hear coming out of the mouths of the people envolved.
What does that mean?
Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay
Why does everyone hate Price so much? I would MUCH rather have him than Josh Reed. Hell, I'll take George Wilson over Josh Reed. Everytime I watch Reed he drops the ball. I've never seen him make one great catch or move after the catch. One the other hand, that's what I see everytime from Price. Very reliable hands and quick, just not big or physical. Would you really rather have Reed over Price?
Price does not have very reliable hands, and takes more penalties than he's worth. He's not starting caliber. He's pretty good in the slot, but we have a way better slot guy in Roscoe and even Reed has shown to be better in that role this year (finally).
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Quote:
Price does not have very reliable hands, and takes more penalties than he's worth. He's not starting caliber. He's pretty good in the slot, but we have a way better slot guy in Roscoe and even Reed has shown to be better in that role this year (finally).
Our WR are OK. Not the greatest, but decent. Next year, teams will have to focus and Lee, thereby freeing other WR. I just dont see it as a huge need. If Willis finally decided to play like the stud RB we think he can be, then that will help out the passing game as well, so will a good OL. My point is that there are factors other than WR that can be fixed easier that will help our passing game.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S
Quote:
Quote:
Our WR are OK. Not the greatest, but decent. Next year, teams will have to focus and Lee, thereby freeing other WR. I just dont see it as a huge need. If Willis finally decided to play like the stud RB we think he can be, then that will help out the passing game as well, so will a good OL. My point is that there are factors other than WR that can be fixed easier that will help our passing game.
I just want at least one WR that is a different, larger mold then everyone that we have now
Old 01-01-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

How does everyone feel about Lawrence Timmons from Florida State? If you don't know much about him, check out this article: http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footb...110506aaf.html After watching the UCLA game, I remember thinking "this guy is a beast." He is really fast to the ball and seems to be the perfect LB for our scheme. If we really are going to go LB in Round 1, I hope we pick him. He's only 20 and has a world of upside and is pretty well polished anyway. After the combine, I think he will move up into the mid-1st for sure. Willis is obviously going to be a popular pick, but how is he in coverage? He's a really inspiring story and great tackler, but he is 23. I would like either. I really don't like Poz though, he's the one LB I hope we don't pick. Here's how I hope our LB's are next year:

SLB MLB WLB

Timmons - Crowell - TKO/Ellison

If Ellison starts, that would be a really young and talented group of LB's who could start for a long time. Remember, we drafted alot of Juniors and early entrees last year, which I do not think was a coincidence. Marv wants to make this team younger.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:14 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
How does everyone feel about Lawrence Timmons from Florida State? After watching the UCLA game, I remember thinking "this guy is a beast." If we really are going to go LB in Round 1, I hope we pick him. He's only 20 and has a world of upside and is pretty well polished anyway. After the combine, I think he will move up into the mid-1st for sure. Willis is obviously going to be a popular pick, but how is he in coverage? He's a really inspiring story and great tackler, but he is 23. I would like either. I really don't like Poz though, he's the one LB I hope we don't pick. Here's how I hope our LB's are next year:

SLB MLB WLB

If Ellison starts, that would be a really young and talented group of LB's who could start for a long time. Remember, we drafted alot of Juniors and early entrees last year, which I do not think was a coincidence. Marv wants to make this team younger.
Why not Puz?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
How does everyone feel about Lawrence Timmons from Florida State? After watching the UCLA game, I remember thinking "this guy is a beast." If we really are going to go LB in Round 1, I hope we pick him. He's only 20 and has a world of upside and is pretty well polished anyway. After the combine, I think he will move up into the mid-1st for sure. Willis is obviously going to be a popular pick, but how is he in coverage? He's a really inspiring story and great tackler, but he is 23. I would like either. I really don't like Poz though, he's the one LB I hope we don't pick. Here's how I hope our LB's are next year:

SLB MLB WLB

Why not Puz?
Nothing against Poz, I just like the other two better. Timmons is a phyiscal specimen and a great talent - very similar (but better) player to Ernie Sims of last year. Timmons is bigger and has less concussions. Willis seems like a great person and is great tackler - I am not sure about his coverage though.

I think one of my main concerns with Poz is the lack of success that former Penn State players have encountered in the NFL. Maybe he will break the mold, I don't know. Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes, Anthony Adams and even to some extent - LaVar Arrington - just scare me. I don't know. He would be an ok pick, but not one I would make. I just have a hunch that he will not be as good of a pro as the other two.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just want at least one WR that is a different, larger mold then everyone that we have now
I know what you are saying but I dont feel that drafting a WR in the 1st is the answer. They have a high bust rate and often take 3 years to develop, we dont have 3 years. I think that by improving the OL it will help boost the passing game than a 1st round WR, and the OL will help Willis too. Stopping the run is also a huge problem......
Old 01-01-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

As for Patrick Willis, I think he is our guy if Fletch goes. Great character guy and can rack up tackles. His coverage isnt great, but it is adequate.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Jguarino24
Veteran

Jguarino24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
As for Patrick Willis, I think he is our guy if Fletch goes. Great character guy and can rack up tackles. His coverage isnt great, but it is adequate.

The more and more I start reading and I keep seeing the name Partick Willis. He is real interesting to me. As much as I love Fletcher a young stud middle linebacker would really make me happy. I see alot of people saying that we need WR in the first round. I dont agree. We need to work on our MLB and DE.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jguarino24
Quote:

The more and more I start reading and I keep seeing the name Partick Willis. He is real interesting to me. As much as I love Fletcher a young stud middle linebacker would really make me happy. I see alot of people saying that we need WR in the first round. I dont agree. We need to work on our MLB and DE.
DE is fine. With Schobel anchoring one side the rotation of Kelsay/Denney/Hargrove is actually a decent pass rush. DT, LB and CB are problems on defense. On offense - WR, TE, LG, RG, FB, even RB could all use upgrades/adjustments.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

gg
Old 01-01-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
gg
Hell of a defense you guys got over there. You need to work on your red-zone offense though.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Jguarino24
Veteran

Jguarino24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jguarino24
Quote:

DE is fine. With Schobel anchoring one side the rotation of Kelsay/Denney/Hargrove is actually a decent pass rush. DT, LB and CB are problems on defense. On offense - WR, TE, LG, RG, FB, even RB could all use upgrades/adjustments.

So saying CB I take it you dont think the bills should offer Clements a new deal?