Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
Jamal Williams is 6'3" and has played the nose is a 3-4 successfully, Vince Wilfork is 6'2" and seems to hold his own, and Jay Ratliff is 6'4" and made his second pro-bowl this year, and Ted Washington at 6'5" seemed to define the position, so I have a hard time buying the "Joseph's to tall" arguement... When I hear and read about nose tackles, a couple of traits usually pop up; strong, stout at the point of attack, quick reaction time, space eater, and ability to take on double teams. Ratliff doesnt have the bulk (303 ibs), but I think most would agree that he uses his strength and athleticism to be successful, according to our very own Scott Wright, Joseph has "Fantastic strength and power " and is "Very athletic", although at 6'4" he is "too tall" to play the nose in a 3-4. Wilfork's scouting reports constantly mention that he is quick and explosive, Mr. Wright as well as many others mention Joseph being "Explosive with a burst --- Quick", and as is the case with all good NT's Joseph is "Stout at the point of attack". I dont understand why his ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfield is a bad thing. Again our very own Mr. Wright says that Joseph is "rare blend of size, brute strength and athleticism --- A bit raw technically but still has a world of potential." Now does Joseph use proper leverage, and technique all the time, No, but how many coming out of college do? Jamal Williams needed work, and took two years to develop, Jay Ratliff did not light it up his first two years, so my point being that it takes a little time to develop. No one knocks Holati Ngata for his ability to be athletic and penetrate and make plays in the backfield...
So FYI: I disagree with you :) At just under 2 inches shorter, Troup is not as athletic, and from what I saw of him, he allows one guy to lock into him struggling to get off blocks. Technically I think Troup is better at this point in time, but technique is what coaching is for, and can be improved upon.
All this aside, I like Joseph for the Giants myself, and think he will fit right in. Question; Is Pat Williams any less capable in a 3-4 as he is in a 4-3?
Joseph would be a poor fit at NT in the 3-4 because he doesn't just hold his blocks and free up his linebackers. He just isn't a true anchor against the run, but penetrates and that'll just leave you too susceptible for the run. Troup on the other hand is much more of an anchor and actually compares to Pat Williams whom you mention, both would be great 3-4 NT's because they anchor at the line and hold up blockers something Troup does a great job, he just pushes guys back instead of getting around them like Joseph.

Ngata doesn't play NT, thus the Cody selection, and is moved around as an all around beast. Joseph isn't as beastly as Ngata by any stretch and Ratliff would be much better off at DE, at NT he's a beast, but he often leaves gaping rushing lanes in the middle because of his penetration which has screwed Dallas' run D on numerous occasions.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Joseph would be a poor fit at NT in the 3-4 because he doesn't just hold his blocks and free up his linebackers. He just isn't a true anchor against the run, but penetrates and that'll just leave you too susceptible for the run. Troup on the other hand is much more of an anchor and actually compares to Pat Williams whom you mention, both would be great 3-4 NT's because they anchor at the line and hold up blockers something Troup does a great job, he just pushes guys back instead of getting around them like Joseph.

Ngata doesn't play NT, thus the Cody selection, and is moved around as an all around beast. Joseph isn't as beastly as Ngata by any stretch and Ratliff would be much better off at DE, at NT he's a beast, but he often leaves gaping rushing lanes in the middle because of his penetration which has screwed Dallas' run D on numerous occasions.
I guess thats where I disagree, except for the Williams comparison, which I think is a good one. In the games I saw of ECU (about 4, parts of one or two others) Joseph and Wilson were by far and away the best players on that defense (I was never truely impressed by Ross), and in most cases easily the best two defensive players on the field IMO. Joseph I thought anchored very well when he used proper technique, which was not always the case, and often in the E.C.U. scheme was not even asked to do so, and I thought they relied on his penetration and playmaking a lot with the little talent behind him. **************.com, NFLdraftbible.com, Eastcoastsportsnews, among many others all have Joseph as a 3-4 nose tackle or mention him as having the ability to play that spot. As for Joseph not pushing guys back, again E.C.U. from what I saw did not ask him to do that, and I saw him hold his ground, and at times do so then toss people aside and make a play, or close out the play... I think he could easily play 3-4 end as well, but I have to disagree that he cant play the nose, and I take solice in knowing I am not alone, lol :) Williams actually began his career with the Bills playing the nose in there 3-4, and if my memory serves me (questionable...) he only played one season with Greg Williams in a 4-3 before going on and playing in Minny's 4-3.... In any case Troup does anchor well, and IMO there are plenty of myths regarding 3-4 nose tackles, and Dallas was in the top five in total run defense last year, and top ten in average rushing yards per play, and top five in rushing yards allowed per game, so Ratliff's "penetration" might have cost them from time to time, but for the most part it did not hurt them overall. As for Ngata he was moved all over the line due to his "beastlyness", his primary position is listed as nose tackle on the ravens web site, as well as numerous other places, but he is most useful playing else where on the Dline, Joseph could very well be the type if he went to a 3-4 defense. That being a capable nose tackle (which I believe he could be) who is better suited at the 5 or 3 tech. Is there a comparison to the two, Ngata is light years ahead of Joseph coming into the league, but Ngata came in from Oregon similarly to Joseph, neither from a 3-4 defense. As for the edition of Mt. Cody to Baltimore; clearly Ngata will no longer play the nose on first or second down, and maybe they keep putting him there from time to time on passing downs. But the move is bloody brilliant, and who will be able to run on them now??
I am not saying that I am so arrogant as to believe that I am right and you are wrong, I am just saying that in my opinion Joseph and Cody are better NT prospects than Troup, I have been wrong before...
p.s. Ngata (or Cutler) over Whitner, Oher or Orakpo over Maybin, and McKinnie over Williams, so every once in a while I am not too far off.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with using stats on dallas' run D is that a lot of times teams gave up on the run to try and pass their way back into games, which made that run D look a lot better than it was, in a lot critical spots that run D let that team down, and they don't even run the same scheme as you guys so Ratliff is further a bad point for you as the Bills will be running a 2-gap 3-4, right? Joseph wasn't asked to hold and anchor because he was more effective penetrating and he gets too tall when faced with regular double teams, now I love the guy for our scheme, but in a 3-4 he's a DE to me, a potentially beastly one but a DE none the less.

Plus I think you're under-rating Troup, Troup does a much better job of taking on blockers and just using his size and power to move them around and unlike Cody and Cam Thomas actually moves pretty well for a bowling like him getting up and down a line to stuff the run.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 AM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

What do you guys think, can Antonio Coleman get in the final 53? I'm still shocked that he didn't get drafted.
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."
tenorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:11 AM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coleman will make the final 53, and if Schobel does in fact retire there is no doube he will make it.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to say besides Naaman, of course, Antonio Coleman may be the rookie I'm most excited about

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
billybeejr
Rookie

billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
I have to say besides Naaman, of course, Antonio Coleman may be the rookie I'm most excited about
It's the same for me, what does that say about our draft class?
billybeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The problem with using stats on dallas' run D is that a lot of times teams gave up on the run to try and pass their way back into games, which made that run D look a lot better than it was, in a lot critical spots that run D let that team down, and they don't even run the same scheme as you guys so Ratliff is further a bad point for you as the Bills will be running a 2-gap 3-4, right? Joseph wasn't asked to hold and anchor because he was more effective penetrating and he gets too tall when faced with regular double teams, now I love the guy for our scheme, but in a 3-4 he's a DE to me, a potentially beastly one but a DE none the less.

Plus I think you're under-rating Troup, Troup does a much better job of taking on blockers and just using his size and power to move them around and unlike Cody and Cam Thomas actually moves pretty well for a bowling like him getting up and down a line to stuff the run.
I understand that Dallas was run on 2nd to least in the league, but as I mentioned they were still 9th in the league in average per run play, and they rarely gave up anything big. I would agree that the run D did let them down in a at times, but they still were among the league leaders in fewest run first downs allowed, and despite my limited viewing of Cowboys games this year, they made as many if not more plays in the run game than they allowed. I asked a good friend who's a Cowboys nut job, and he brought up the one gap arguement (a good point by you as well), but he also said that besides many teams passing alot on Dallas to get into games, or catch up on the score board, early efforts to run against them were pointless as most teams just could not, games that come to mind Atlanta, Turner may have hit 50 yards, but they stoned him (Snelling? was surprised Dallas in that game I thought, if I remember correctly), Carolina, Stewart was in the negative for the game? and they held Williams in check, the Chargers couldnt run the ball worth a crap from what I remember, and had to put the ball in the air to win the game, in fact the openning (?) game against Tampa was the only game I saw that anyone could run on Dallas effectively, and I thought that turned into a shoot out... Point being I dont think Dallas run D is all that bad, but they do play a one gap style from what I know, and yes Buffalo does look to be running a two gap 3-4, so Troup maybe a better fit. I still believe from having watched Joseph that he can do the same things and could have been a better player with some coaching, just because he wasnt asked to do it does not mean he can not do it. I just might be under-rating troup, but I think he struggles to disengage from one linemen, and is not going to be successful in the NFL at the two gap system, as where I believe Joseph would have been able to do it. But as I said I could be wrong. Its just my opinion of who I thought would have been better in time.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbills View Post
Coleman will make the final 53, and if Schobel does in fact retire there is no doube he will make it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorx View Post
What do you guys think, can Antonio Coleman get in the final 53? I'm still shocked that he didn't get drafted.
I think Schobel is going to retire, and Coleman makes the team if they start cutting veteran players in favor of turning the roster over with their eye on the future. Coleman does not have the measurables, or ideal characteristics, but he certainly has the production of a gamer. I like his football IQ, and instinctual intelilgence, plus he is very aggressive in going after the QB, and he is not a one trick pony. I would like to see him make it, and I like him more than Batten at this point, but I am not as sure as red that he makes the final roster.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I understand that Dallas was run on 2nd to least in the league, but as I mentioned they were still 9th in the league in average per run play, and they rarely gave up anything big. I would agree that the run D did let them down in a at times, but they still were among the league leaders in fewest run first downs allowed, and despite my limited viewing of Cowboys games this year, they made as many if not more plays in the run game than they allowed. I asked a good friend who's a Cowboys nut job, and he brought up the one gap arguement (a good point by you as well), but he also said that besides many teams passing alot on Dallas to get into games, or catch up on the score board, early efforts to run against them were pointless as most teams just could not, games that come to mind Atlanta, Turner may have hit 50 yards, but they stoned him (Snelling? was surprised Dallas in that game I thought, if I remember correctly), Carolina, Stewart was in the negative for the game? and they held Williams in check, the Chargers couldnt run the ball worth a crap from what I remember, and had to put the ball in the air to win the game, in fact the openning (?) game against Tampa was the only game I saw that anyone could run on Dallas effectively, and I thought that turned into a shoot out... Point being I dont think Dallas run D is all that bad, but they do play a one gap style from what I know, and yes Buffalo does look to be running a two gap 3-4, so Troup maybe a better fit. I still believe from having watched Joseph that he can do the same things and could have been a better player with some coaching, just because he wasnt asked to do it does not mean he can not do it. I just might be under-rating troup, but I think he struggles to disengage from one linemen, and is not going to be successful in the NFL at the two gap system, as where I believe Joseph would have been able to do it. But as I said I could be wrong. Its just my opinion of who I thought would have been better in time.
The Chargers were just god awful at running the ball last year and the Panthers were god awful at throwing the ball which let Dallas load up against the run. I wouldn't use either of those games to re-inforce the point that Dallas run D wasn't a problem.

As for their per carry averages the reason most teams boost their averages is because they eventually break some long runs, since Dallas didn't have teams run on them as much they didn't get burned with any big runs.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The Chargers were just god awful at running the ball last year and the Panthers were god awful at throwing the ball which let Dallas load up against the run. I wouldn't use either of those games to re-inforce the point that Dallas run D wasn't a problem.

As for their per carry averages the reason most teams boost their averages is because they eventually break some long runs, since Dallas didn't have teams run on them as much they didn't get burned with any big runs.
Besides the fact that I am debating the Dallas run D on a Bills board is tripping me out, I would agree that the Chargers rushing offense was terrible, so that is not the best example. The Panthers passing attack was not very good I would agree, but they were third in the league in rushing, and second in explosive plays (long runs) to Chris Johnson, so how does that not say something about the Dallas run D??? Wasn't everyone Carolina played stacking the box?? I would use that as a measuring stick, the Jets and Titans were in the bottom ten in the league in passing, teams stacked the box against them and could not stop their run games... The Packers couldnt run on Dallas, and they were not playing from behind, in fact they led the whole game. The Dallas D had more run plays against than the Vikings and yet they did not give up a 40+ yard run, the Vikings did, so you are telling me that the Vikings run D is what?? Carolina got the ball at the end of that game and had a chance to win, plenty of time to run the ball and take their time, they chose to pass and predictably Dallas picks it off and returns it for a TD. Maybe the Panthers thought the Dallas pass defense was the problem... I guess I will make one more point that the Cowboys run D was not a problem; January 17th vs. the Vikings the 6th leading rusher in the league had 26 carries for 63 and a 2.4 yards per carry average vs a Dallas D with a run problem... He was tied for second in the league in explosive plays (long runs), and the Dallas run D did not allow him to break a run over 11 yards. Every team gives up some plays running the ball, give me something tangible to prove your point, is Pittsburgh's run defense poor as well??
Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Besides the fact that I am debating the Dallas run D on a Bills board is tripping me out, I would agree that the Chargers rushing offense was terrible, so that is not the best example. The Panthers passing attack was not very good I would agree, but they were third in the league in rushing, and second in explosive plays (long runs) to Chris Johnson, so how does that not say something about the Dallas run D??? Wasn't everyone Carolina played stacking the box?? I would use that as a measuring stick, the Jets and Titans were in the bottom ten in the league in passing, teams stacked the box against them and could not stop their run games... The Packers couldnt run on Dallas, and they were not playing from behind, in fact they led the whole game. The Dallas D had more run plays against than the Vikings and yet they did not give up a 40+ yard run, the Vikings did, so you are telling me that the Vikings run D is what?? Carolina got the ball at the end of that game and had a chance to win, plenty of time to run the ball and take their time, they chose to pass and predictably Dallas picks it off and returns it for a TD. Maybe the Panthers thought the Dallas pass defense was the problem... I guess I will make one more point that the Cowboys run D was not a problem; January 17th vs. the Vikings the 6th leading rusher in the league had 26 carries for 63 and a 2.4 yards per carry average vs a Dallas D with a run problem... He was tied for second in the league in explosive plays (long runs), and the Dallas run D did not allow him to break a run over 11 yards. Every team gives up some plays running the ball, give me something tangible to prove your point, is Pittsburgh's run defense poor as well??
Yeah I feel weird as a giants fan arguing about the cowboys on the Buffalo board. Either way lets look at the big rushing games Carolina had:
Atlanta twice, Atlanta's DL was small and their LBs missed a bunch of tackles. It's impressive that they racked up those totals but they weren't tearing apart a great D here.

They ran all over Tampa racking up huge totals. Sure it was impressive, but the Bucs run D was also awful.

They ran all over the saints, the first time grabbing an early lead on a weak run D against a team that was passing it's way back into the game letting the Panthers do very well with the TOP struggle. The second time the Saints had nothing to play for and a lot of their key players were not playing.

They ran all over my giants who completely folded at the end of the year. Our run D was pathetic all year and the team just quit on Bill Sheridan. They put up crazy numbers but we were going to get smoked by any team that wanted to run on us that week.

Here come the impressive rushing performances:
Against the Dolphins, sure the phins lack a NT for their 3-4, but this was still a really impressive performance.

Against the Cards was probably their most impressive performance all year. They tore apart a very good run D, although they did get a lot of help from Arizona turnovers that gave them a short field helped them build a big lead that let them just run down the clock. Still very impressive.

My point here is that the Panthers running game was one of the best in the league statistically, but a lot of those numbers came from their dedication to running the ball even against crap defenses because of how atrocious their passing game was. So the stats on the Panthers running game are misleading.

Back to the Cowboys though. The panthers run D was torn apart as the Cowboys ran the **** out of the ball, dominating the time of possession by 15 minutes. Which meant that the Panthers didn't get many chances to get a rhythm going with the running game.

My original point was that Dallas run D let them down quite a bit, they've struggled quite often getting off of the field on running downs and that run D has made their redzone D susceptible as well. That's just an observation I've made from watching one of our division rivals regularly and I'm sure if you got to the Dallas board with this you'll find a number of Cowboys fans who'll agree that having Ratliff in the middle with a one gap scheme that has to slant into gaps to sure up their run D has backfired at a number of key stops.

Anyways to bring this back to the Bills and the point that spawned this whole conversation we have to wait and see. I think Troup is going to do very well for you guys and he was neck and neck with Joseph in a 4-3 in my eyes.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah I feel weird as a giants fan arguing about the cowboys on the Buffalo board. Either way lets look at the big rushing games Carolina had:
Atlanta twice, Atlanta's DL was small and their LBs missed a bunch of tackles. It's impressive that they racked up those totals but they weren't tearing apart a great D here.
Agreed
They ran all over Tampa racking up huge totals. Sure it was impressive, but the Bucs run D was also awful.
Agreed
They ran all over the saints, the first time grabbing an early lead on a weak run D
Agreed
They ran all over my giants who completely folded at the end of the year. Our run D was pathetic all year and the team just quit on Bill Sheridan.
Yeah I saw that, agreed...

Here come the impressive rushing performances:
Against the Dolphins, sure the phins lack a NT for their 3-4, but this was still a really impressive performance.

Against the Cards was probably their most impressive performance all year. They tore apart a very good run D, although they did get a lot of help from Arizona turnovers that gave them a short field helped them build a big lead that let them just run down the clock. Still very impressive.

My point here is that the Panthers running game was one of the best in the league statistically, but a lot of those numbers came from their dedication to running the ball even against crap defenses because of how atrocious their passing game was. So the stats on the Panthers running game are misleading.

Back to the Cowboys though. The panthers run D was torn apart as the Cowboys ran the **** out of the ball, dominating the time of possession by 15 minutes. Which meant that the Panthers didn't get many chances to get a rhythm going with the running game.

My original point was that Dallas run D let them down quite a bit, they've struggled quite often getting off of the field on running downs and that run D has made their redzone D susceptible as well. That's just an observation I've made from watching one of our division rivals regularly and I'm sure if you got to the Dallas board with this you'll find a number of Cowboys fans who'll agree that having Ratliff in the middle with a one gap scheme that has to slant into gaps to sure up their run D has backfired at a number of key stops.

Anyways to bring this back to the Bills and the point that spawned this whole conversation we have to wait and see. I think Troup is going to do very well for you guys and he was neck and neck with Joseph in a 4-3 in my eyes.
I agree with you completely about the NFC South being a weak run defense and that helping pad their stats, and I saw that Giants game, and could not believe the lack of heart they showed on defense... In one of the ugliest Bills wins I have seen, we picked off Delhomme 3 times in a 20-9 win, and the Panthers still had over 100 yards on 25? carries, which probably would have been better if they had followed through running the ball... How good a run game do they have with out the injuries on the offensive line?? Maybe part of my point of view comes from having watched 16 Bills games last year in which I saw one of the worst run defenses this set of eye balls has ever seen... Everyone looks better... I think this will be a better year in that aspect, and with the secondary we have, it should be a much better year defensively. I hope Troup is the the guy you and redbills see more than the guy I saw, and not having seen everything on him it could very well be that way. Although I am not a big fan of J.P.P., I like Joseph and hope he and Troup have an impact on our respective lines, we certainly both need them too. As usual its a pleasure discussing all things football with you
Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post?id=13822

<3
Old 05-29-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no wonder we had 80 guys on IR every year
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/2...ork-under.html
Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbills View Post
no wonder we had 80 guys on IR every year
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/2...ork-under.html
How did we not squat? Are you effing kidding me?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saw that you guys signed one of our players LB Reggie Torbor. He will be a good pick up based on him having experience playing in a 3-4. He will come in handy as a teacher to your other LB's. He wont offer you anything on defense. When he was put in he was a guy that was just there. Didnt stick out good or bad really. He's a nice special teams player and a really good guy to have in your lockerroom. He's a blue chip kind of guy who works hard.

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

I like Torbor as our #4 ILB and ST player.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bills Spotlight

Overview

The Buffalo Bills are entering a new decade, a decade in which unlike the last they hope to make an appearance in the post season. With changed at Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator and Special Teams Coordinator the Bills will hope this overhaul spells a clean slate and a fresh start. However although the coaching staff has been overhauled and remodelled the same cannot be said for the roster. The Bills entered the off season with plenty of holes on their roster, which would need filling for them to be competitive in the 2010 season. Mainly their holes could be found at Quarterback, Left Tackle, Wide Receiver, Outside Linebacker and Nose Tackle, however no real solution at any of these positions has been found. During the last season the Bills started three different Quarterbacks (Brohm, Edwards and Fitzpatrick) all of whom had very little success at the helm of the offense. After letting Jason Peters go to the Eagles in a trade before the start of last season they never did anything to fill the void left by the Pro Bowler and still no solution has been found. Terrell Owens has not been retained leaving the underachieving Lee Evans and so far non-factor James Hardy to catch passes off a yet undecided Quarterback. The defense is making a transition to the 3-4 which it has some pieces for, but unlike the Packers last year the Bills will act much like the 49ers and take time to transition, not gaining immediate success. Marcus Stroud is moving to from Defensive Tackle to Defensive End, last yearís first rounder Aaron Maybin and veteran Aaron Schobel are moving from Defensive End to Outside Linebacker and Strong Side Linebacker Kawika Mitchell is moving to Inside Linebacker to team with Paul Posluszney. The pass defense is the Bills strong point (second best in 2009), third year corner Leodis McKelvin, Rookie Superstar Jairus Byrd, veteran corner Terrence McGee and emerging safety George Wilson helped keep opponents to a mere 184 YPG last year and will hope to improve on that in their 2010 campaign. However their efforts will go to waste if the Bills rush defense (second worst in 2009) canít improve.

Draft

In the draft the Bills took CJ Spiller, a dynamic Running Back who is a threat to take it to the house on any given play, Terrell Troup who they hope will man the Nose in their 3-4 front, Alex Carrington who should team with Marcus Stroud at Defensive End, Ed Wang who looks to be their future for Left Tackle and several other players who will provide the Bills with some respectable depth. These picks would all well and good for a team that has time to bring these guys along slowly but some of these guys are going to be thrust into action from Day 1 and it is unlikely they are going to get the job done their rookie season and could take them a few seasons to really grow into their roles. It is unlikely that they will see production from any rookie apart from Spiller, but his success may only come as a returner unless the Bills Offensive Line can open up the holes that Spiller needs to break it to the house because if we are honest he is not going to plough his way through a Defense. Wang is a few years away from being a legitimate starter at Left Tackle but may be forced in their sooner rather than later and Troup and Carrington are in positions that have a very steep learning curve for rookies, Defensive Line. As for their other rookies Marcus Easley (Wide Receiver) will be lucky to see slot time and is most likely to be fourth on the depth chart, Arthur Moats and Danny Batten (Outside Linebackers) are purely depth picks however they could see action if Maybin or Schobel canít handle the switch and as for Levi Brown (Quarterback) and Kyle Calloway (Offensive Tackle) they are unlikely to see the field this year and I wouldnít be surprised to see them buried in the depth chart.

Outlook

The Bills seem to have taken for granted just how bad they were last year and have done a lot less than they should have (and could have) done to improve their team from last year. With their first overall choice they could have quite easily have taken a Left Tackle such as Brian Bulaga or Anthony Davis, but instead went with a scat back who will share time with Fred Davis and Marshawn Lynch, then with their second pick with Quarterback Jimmy Clausen still on the board picked up NT Terrell Troup who in all fairness is not going to make a very big impact their year if ever. They round after round overlooked their biggest positions of need and ended up exiting the bulk of free agency and the draft with the same needs they started with purely because they felt they had the talent on their roster to do so, which I am very sorry to say Buffalo but you donít. It does not look like it is going to be a very rosy season for the Bills; they do not have a legitimate passing attack, so teams will be able to focus on shutting down the run game, which may struggle to get going with such a patch work Offensive Line. So where their yards and points are going to come from is anybodyís guess as they are currently entering their training camp with no starting Quarterback, Left Tackle or Running Back. As for the Defense they are making a switch to a defense, which they do not really have the players for and will take some time to transition. It is very rare for a team to move to the 3-4 and instantly be successful, the Packers are the exception not the rule and if we look at them in depth we can see the Packers did have a roster capable of change. The Bills however do not, Marcus Stroud has shed weight in an effort to get fit and healthy but with very little else on the line to worry Offenses he will see most of the double teams. Coming off the edge Maybin and Schobel have to step up and make their mark otherwise it is going to be very tough for the Bills talented Secondary to keep teams out of the end zone. Posluszney and Mitchell will make a solid duo in the middle but if the line doesnít step up they may struggle to make a great impact against the run as they will see Guards one on one all day. With all these question marks it is hard to imagine the Bills doing any better than last year and will likely do worse, everyone in their division has gotten stronger while they have seemingly gotten weaker and they do not exactly have a cupcake schedule facing 6 playoff teams and several teams that have gotten a lot stronger this off season. A lot of predictions around the internet see them picking first overall, which would be icing on the cake for a franchise that has struggled so much for so long. It isnít all doom and gloom however because the Bills do have talent they are not a roster full of terrible players they have some very talented players (Posluszney, Byrd, Spiller, McKelvin) and a good amount of youth in the interior of their Offensive Line. So even though they may not compete this year (or next year) the Bills have a strong core of young talented players and a coaching staff that want to win and turn the franchise into perennial winners and playoff contenders. It is going to be a tough couple of seasons coming up but if all goes the way it looks to be going it shouldnít be too much longer before the Bills return to winning ways.

Key Player on Offense

I canít actually say who this is because it is the Quarterback; whoever ends up with the job is going to be pivotal to the Bills success. They will be running by committee, their receiving targets are for the most part unproven and the Offensive line is subpar, so whoever ends up at the helm is going to have to have a strong head in his shoulders and be able to handle the pressure that he is no doubted going to end up under. If the Quarterback play is poor then the Bills will stand little chance of effectively moving the ball down field, which will put pressure on the defense to step up.

Key Player on Defense

On the defense it has to be second year man Aaron Maybin who is moving from Defensive End to Outside Linebacker. Maybin who is undersized for a defensive end in the 4-3 struggled during his rookie season but clearly displayed that he is a supremely gifted athlete who can get after the Quarterback. He is going to be relied upon to create the bulk of the pressure on defense. If Maybin fails to do his job the opposing Quarterback will have plenty of time in the pocket to pick apart a strong Bills secondary, as strong as they are, if a Quarterback has all day, he will find someone.

Breakout Candidate

Third year Cornerback Leodis McKelvin is returning from a season ending injury that ended his campaign in week 3 and he will be hungry to come back with a bang. He has 2 years of NFL experience under his belt and if we combine this with his fantastic athleticism it looks to be that this could be the year he has his coming out party, teams will test him early trying to avoid McGee and Byrd but they will regret this. McKelvin is a hardnosed corner and plays with a purpose, he will not be beat easily and there is a good chance he will have a big year firmly stamping his name on other teamís radars.

Prediction

Looking at the Bills schedule and looking at their team I predict that the Bills will end the season at 3-13, beating only the Lions, Browns and Chiefs, however given some of their off seasons it wouldnít surprise me to see the Bills win less than three. It will not surprise me to see the Bills picking in the top 5 of the draft if not first overall, but they are on their way up and even if they have to hit rock bottom before they get there the future is not all doom and gloom. It is going to be hard but the Bills will be back, and no doubt their fans hope that sooner rather than later they can win the big one.
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

fail
no new threads
Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thanks for the feedback lol
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
Key Player on Defense

Maybin who is undersized for a defensive end in the 4-3 struggled during his rookie season but clearly displayed that he is a supremely gifted athlete who can get after the Quarterback.
Wow... I... Wow... Was it the slowest spin move in history? or the fact that he looked clearly un-athletic from day one, had the slowest first step on the line, could not get around the edge period, and could not get after the quarterback at all? You could count the number of QB pressures on one hand, and in reality you might not even have needed that hand... Maybin has the physical abilities, and potential, but his rookie year was an epic fail and other than showing he was the best cheerleader on the field, showed no athleticism at all. Negative rep was considered, but the rest of the post was not half bad, and the point about the interior of the line was close, as they are young, but Wood and Levitre both had very good rookie seasons, and the problem has been at tackle. I agreed with most of your draft analysis, particularly passing on Davis and Clausen (twice), and the prediction is also where I believe they will be... Unfortunatly... Fortunatly we appear to be in the Locker sweepstakes IMO... However this Maybin talk is rubbish, garabge and trash talk that I can not stand for!! Overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10 :)
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

I appreciate the feedback, I'm writing it for a small internet publication and wanted to make sure I wasn't saying anything that was totally wrong...and I missed big time on the maybin athleticism, will get that changed, still think he is key to your D though.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
I appreciate the feedback, I'm writing it for a small internet publication and wanted to make sure I wasn't saying anything that was totally wrong...and I missed big time on the maybin athleticism, will get that changed, still think he is key to your D though.
He is athletic, but it did not translate onto the field this past season, in fact most of the time he looked slow, and I still dont know where that lightning quick first step from Penn State went. I think he is a big key to the defense in terms of the pass rush, but IMO the key to the defense will be how Kyle Williams and Torrell Troup (spell check, not Terrell (Pryor).) transition and handle the nose. If they can not prove themselves in the center of the defense, it will have the same affect as the porous interior run defense of the 4-3 last year, as you say the rush defense last year was truely that bad. The secondary is one of the best in the league, especially when healthy, which they were not last year.
Some notes on what you have written; Arthur Moats is mostly playing ILB, and looks like the only OLB he'll be playing is on 3rd downs possibly, the Bills apparently like his athleticism and pass rush from the inside spot. It should be mentioned that Aaron Schobel is seriously contemplating retirement and has not taken part in any of the OTA's, and many fans feel he will retire, I do... James Hardy is trying to come back from a ACL injury. They signed Dwan Edwards from Baltimore to help in run support, and he will likely start opposite Stroud, with Johnson and Carrington rotating in. Kyle Calloway is seeing time at guard mostly, but recently started playing a little right tackle for the team. FYI; Fred Davis = TE, Washington, Fred Jackson = RB, Buffalo. Lynch is acting like a child, and the rumor with the most teeth is that as soon as Seattle or whomever offer the Bills a fourth round pick is gone. You say the Bills have no starting running back... Many would argue they have three, Spiller as a top ten pick qualifies, Jackson average 4.5 yards per carry, had over 1000 yards rushing, caught 46 passes, even threw a touch down pass, and should qualify (was the offensive MVP by far IMO), and lastly there is Marshawn Lynch, who has had a pro-bowl season, two 1000 yard seasons, and catch the ball out of the backfield as well qualify.
My thoughts on the key issues offensively; QB and LT. Edwards at QB showed promise early, but has not been the same since Adrian Wilson destroyed him in 08. Fitzpatrick is a excellent backup, but thats about it, and Brohm has never had a been fully invested in, IMO. So no starting QB indeed. Passing on Clausen especially in the second was curious to say the least. Passed on Oher last year, Davis, Bulaga this year, and Demetrius Bell is the starter, Jamon Meredith who showed some promise last year is currently back up at LT, and Wang is bringing up the rear, none of whom was drafted prior to the fifth round... That is not a good coarse of action for offensive line success. Jason Peters was like catching lightning in a bottle, and we all know how often that happens... As for Maybin, maybe it was the weight that he added slowing him down, but he really proved nothing last year. I like the Packers comparison, but dont think they are as far off as most believe. Had the Bills taken Mt. Cody I think they would be closer, but there are those out there that believe Troup is just as capable, time will tell... The DE's are not all that bad, in fact with the signing of Edwards and drafting of Carrington, should be a strength. Posluszny, Andra Davis, Ellison, Mitchell, Moats and Torber should be able to man the middle at ILB (some combination there of), and the real question is can Williams and Troup man the middle? Addtitionally, how does the pass rush look with Maybin and some combination of Chris Kelsay, Chris Ellis, and Danny Batten being the canidates if Schobel retires? Every single one is a conversion DE, with limited at best coverage experience?
I hope this helped :-D

Last edited by Poz51 : 06-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

yeh man majorly, seeing as i wrote it based on not a lot but rumblings on here and my own knowledge of the Bills, helps as there are deff a few areas I need to tweak for their factual merit. really appreciate the help.