Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I don't like that draft at all. We don't need to trade down in the 1st Round to get Weddle - I think he will be available in the 2nd. I do like him and Samardzija as prospects though. Nobody is going to trade for Denney, especially for a 5th, and we wouldn't trade him anyway. We won't franchise Nate either, Levy promised him that we wouldn't and he is a man of his word.

Nicholas is a bad fit for the Cover 2 - he's a blitzing LB. I really think that Crowell will shift to MLB. I don't see OT, C and DE being needs for us - we need to address TE on Day 1. I don't know who Whitlock is but I am a huge advocate of drafting a RB early.

Here's how I see it shaping out:

1. Timmons/Willis
2. Wilson/Hughes/Ross/Weddle
3. RB/TE/OG
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I really think that we will re-sign either Clements or McGahee long-term. Not both, but one. I truly believe this. One of them will be on the team in two years and one will not. I hope to God that it is Clements, not because I am in love with the guy at all, but because McGahee does not deserve to be given a huge contract - he has not earned it in my book.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay
I don't like that draft at all. We don't need to trade down in the 1st Round to get Weddle - I think he will be available in the 2nd. I do like him and Samardzija as prospects though. Nobody is going to trade for Denney, especially for a 5th, and we wouldn't trade him anyway. We won't franchise Nate either, Levy promised him that we wouldn't and he is a man of his word.

Nicholas is a bad fit for the Cover 2 - he's a blitzing LB. I really think that Crowell will shift to MLB. I don't see OT, C and DE being needs for us - we need to address TE on Day 1. I don't know who Whitlock is but I am a huge advocate of drafting a RB early.

1. Timmons/Willis
3. RB/TE/OG
I agree with most of what you say, however neither Timmons nor Willis is considered a top 20 pick at this time. The combine might change that but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I'd say OT, OG and OC are problem areas but outside of Blalock, or Brown, there isn't any others worth picking.
CB has to be addressed for sure either in round 1 or 2.
TE is a possibility in round 3 but if the Bills aren't committed to throwing the ball to their TE and feel they can get by with a blocker, then round 4 is more probable.
You can forget Weddle, safety isn't a real need.
The draft is full of top notch WR's, so you cannot count out that position.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
Quote:

1. Timmons/Willis
3. RB/TE/OG
I agree with most of what you say, however neither Timmons nor Willis is considered a top 20 pick at this time. The combine might change that but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I'd say OT, OG and OC are problem areas but outside of Blalock, or Brown, there isn't any others worth picking.
TE is a possibility in round 3 but if the Bills aren't committed to throwing the ball to their TE and feel they can get by with a blocker, then round 4 is more probable.
Willis definitely is top 20 and timmons is very close, if not there already.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:

1. Timmons/Willis
3. RB/TE/OG
Both Willis and Timmons are Top 20 picks at this time. OT is not really a huge need - We have locked up Peters at LT and Pennington played very well at RT and we have Butler behind him. All I see a "need" for is a backup LT who would only play if Peters got hurt, so I see that as a very late round pick. We have Fowler and Merz at OC so I see no need for a draft pick there. As far as WR goes, I see a late Day 1/early Day 2 pick (mid-round). Weddle can play CB or S, hell, he can even play offense.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Timmons/Willis
3. RB/TE/OG
Both Willis and Timmons are Top 20 picks at this time. OT is not really a huge need - We have locked up Peters at LT and Pennington played very well at RT and we have Butler behind him. All I see a "need" for is a backup LT who would only play if Peters got hurt, so I see that as a very late round pick. We have Fowler and Merz at OC so I see no need for a draft pick there. As far as WR goes, I see a late Day 1/early Day 2 pick (mid-round). Weddle can play CB or S, hell, he can even play offense.
How did Simpson, Yooo-booty and Whitner play this season?
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Simpson and Whitner played great, they did not play like rookies at all, and they both were effective in run support and pass coverage.

Youboty missed most of training camp with the death of his mom and then got injured so he didn't play until around Week 14 or so. He looked pretty good in his limited playing time, he didn't get burned or anything.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Simpson and Whitner played great, they did not play like rookies at all, and they both were effective in run support and pass coverage.

Youboty missed most of training camp with the death of his mom and then got injured so he didn't play until around Week 14 or so. He looked pretty good in his limited playing time, he didn't get burned or anything.
Yeah Buffalo got roasted for its draft but right now it is looking pretty good -- less the injuries to McCargo and Yooo-Booty who woulda known.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:

Yeah Buffalo got roasted for its draft but right now it is looking pretty good -- less the injuries to McCargo and Yooo-Booty who woulda known.
True...we also started Keith Ellison, Terrance Pennington and Kyle Williams - all whom have played very well.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

DWhitner20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Don't forget Aaron Merz, who played a few times and actually started one game and held his own.
DWhitner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

glazeduck smells like sex panther.

HYPOTHETICALS...

Ok bills fans, just for fun, and perhaps to start some new convos... here are 2 hypothetical situations that I could see possibly happening in real life.

Scenario #1... If Calvin Johnson slips a bit. Say the top 5 is Russell, Quinn, Peterson, Adams and Thomas in some order (wouldn't be completely unheard of), maybe Branch or somebody goes too, again, doubtful, but not completely outside the realm of possibility...would you want the bills to overpay and trade up to nab Calvin Johnson at 6 or 7, even if it cost us our #1 and maybe #2 and 3 or something? What about Clements and our #1 for CJ? I'd do just about anything to get him in a bills jersey.

Scenario #2... Assuming we decide to use our draftpicks elsewhere than on a big red zone receiver, pissing me off, but probably likely...would you be ok w/ the Bills taking a flyer on Mike Williams if/when he gets cut from Detroit? I'd be up for this if we put things into his contract that gave him incentive to get into shape, but he looked good for Detroit when he actually got to play.

Your thoughts?
glazeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weddle would be switched to CB.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazeduck
HYPOTHETICALS...

Ok bills fans, just for fun, and perhaps to start some new convos... here are 2 hypothetical situations that I could see possibly happening in real life.

Scenario #1... If Calvin Johnson slips a bit. Say the top 5 is Russell, Quinn, Peterson, Adams and Thomas in some order (wouldn't be completely unheard of), maybe Branch or somebody goes too, again, doubtful, but not completely outside the realm of possibility...would you want the bills to overpay and trade up to nab Calvin Johnson at 6 or 7, even if it cost us our #1 and maybe #2 and 3 or something? What about Clements and our #1 for CJ? I'd do just about anything to get him in a bills jersey.

Scenario #2... Assuming we decide to use our draftpicks elsewhere than on a big red zone receiver, pissing me off, but probably likely...would you be ok w/ the Bills taking a flyer on Mike Williams if/when he gets cut from Detroit? I'd be up for this if we put things into his contract that gave him incentive to get into shape, but he looked good for Detroit when he actually got to play.

Your thoughts?
No, we go defense rounds one and two. I wouldn't mind having Mike Williams in Buffalo, but only if he worked hard and earned his roster spot. I would want him as a FA though, not acquired thru a trade.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

#1) CJ would NEVER slip to #5. No way in hell. He might stay in school if the Raiders want him with the 1st pick.

#2) Mike Williams ehhh...doesn't seem like our kind of guy. He is lazy and that won't be tolerated at 1 Bills Drive. I would take him as a FA but he would have to come very cheap.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
essential
Rookie

essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
HYPOTHETICALS...

Your thoughts?
i would totally trade up for CJ, however there is no way he slips past 3/4, wherever the Bucs end up picking. we would have to trade to 2/3 overall to get him, which i wouldn't mind doing, but it would cost us two first rounders, and prob a 2nd and 3rd somewhere. if we could tag clements somehow we could trade him and our first for the 4th overall pick to the Bucs. the Bucs tried to trade us for clements in the offseason, clements for mcfarland.

anyway, i can't see up trading up for CJ, it would take too much, there is no way he falls out of the top 4.

i wouldn't mind giving mike williams a shot either if it was for the right price, he's still full of talent, just needs the right environment, he never had character concerns.

This is the NFL draft, not a boyscout draft.

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

DWhitner20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

About Mike Williams:
Quote:
While growing up, he rooted for the Buffalo Bills. His favorite player was Barry Sanders, who he enjoyed watching have some of his best games against Tampa, his hometown team.
from http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=272&season=8

As for moving up to take Calvin, I'd rather not pay as much as we'd need to to do so. This class is getting deep at WR, I'd like to grab someone in round 2 like either Rice, Meachem, or Bowe who could be a number 2 to Lee Evans.
DWhitner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
essential
Rookie

essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhitner20
About Mike Williams:
As for moving up to take Calvin, I'd rather not pay as much as we'd need to to do so. This class is getting deep at WR, I'd like to grab someone in round 2 like either Rice, Meachem, or Bowe who could be a number 2 to Lee Evans.
i would LOVE rice in the second, but i just can't see him being there, especially after the combine and personal workouts.

also, a lot of people want timmons now, but how far do you think he could fall if we didn't pick him at 12? anyone think we can get willis at 12 and get back into the late first round for timmons like we did last year with mccargo, would he fall that far?

as long as we sign steinbach in FA, i'm fine taking 2 linebackers on day one, as long as they are projected starters, not projects.

This is the NFL draft, not a boyscout draft.

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know everyone is clammoring for a good red zone WR, but perhaps the cheaper solution to our redzone woes is a stud TE. Greg Olsen or Zach Miller will probably fall to the 2nd. I would rather see one of them then yet another WR.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

glazeduck smells like sex panther.

with as deep as the wr and te classes are in this draft I don't see why we can't possibly add one of both, but I think WR is a bigger need
glazeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
rocco31fb
Veteran

rocco31fb hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
with as deep as the wr and te classes are in this draft I don't see why we can't possibly add one of both, but I think WR is a bigger need
WR is a bigger need, especially since Losman got on a good rhythm with Royal end of the season. A young TE to back him up and maybe start in a year would be grand. I think we should find a starting LB in Round one, and fill skill positions such as WR, RB and TE later in the draft.

Thanks eaglez.fan
rocco31fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Pennington can start to hold his own consistently without help from our tight ends then a TE would be a nice option, but we'd get a lot more out of a receiver, a bigger guy that can work down the middle, work to get the ball, but also get downfield where JP does his best work, which is one of the advantages of going WR instead of a TE that would need to take the time to chip somebody or get through box traffic before getting out there
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

BuffaloDraftGeek hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does anyone think its a possibility we won't go after a bigger guy? Fairchild has said before he prefers speed over size, I think we may end up with another speed receiver.
BuffaloDraftGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
rocco31fb
Veteran

rocco31fb hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek
Does anyone think its a possibility we won't go after a bigger guy? Fairchild has said before he prefers speed over size, I think we may end up with another speed receiver.
Marv makes the call. Thats why we resigned Josh Reed. He doesnt fit the "speed" type. Need that posession WR.

Thanks eaglez.fan
rocco31fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek
Its very possible, I just think thats its sensible to have one. The number of times Losman tried to throw it over the middle or toss a high one to his biggest target (Royal) only to have it dropped, along with the number of times that he wasn't able to put it somewhere where his receiver could just use his body to get to the ball leave me with hope for a bigger guy out there
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

What about both size and speed aka Robert Meachem.