Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 02-17-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ4140
Anybody catch the Levy press conference today? Sounds like the team is really gonna be shaken up if you ask me. Interesting read.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4622
Sounds like the same old Bills, a team whose owner refuses to spend money needed to keep this franchise competitive. This is pretty depressive considering how close we came to the playoffs. Looking more and more like another decade of penny pinching with 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. :evil:
Old 02-17-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
DBeebe82

Quote:
KJ4140 wrote:
Anybody catch the Levy press conference today? Sounds like the team is really gonna be shaken up if you ask me. Interesting read.

yea, after the press conference, a couple things are more clear about the draft:

1) no first day offensive linemen
2) no TE's
3) a first day RB
I skimmed a small part of the article but where does Levy state he is not looking for a TE within the NFL draft?

I would love to bring in a runningback through the draft but if we use a first round pick i believe our only option should be AD. Im just not a huge fan of Lynch at all, i see him as a solid back but not as a potential superstar. Instead of Lynch i would rather grab kenny irons in the second or bush in the third if he continues to slip. Bush is a big bruising back while imo irons would open up the offense and allow fairchild to setup screens and the runningback coming out of the backfield due to iron's great hands.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

DWhitner20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What do you guys think about Tony Taylor and Justin Durant?
DWhitner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhitner20
Don't need em. They both would be WILL backers and we are stacked there with depth. The only linebackers I take first four rounds are Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons because we aren't getting any use of our depth by picking anyone else. We are stacked at WILL, but have no depth at MIKE or SAM to speak of. If Crowell moves inside, draft Timmons, if he stays outside, draft Willis, pretty simple if it comes down to us having to address linebacker due to all other worthy selections being off the board.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost
Quote:
Don't need em. They both would be WILL backers and we are stacked there with depth. The only linebackers I take first four rounds are Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons because we aren't getting any use of our depth by picking anyone else. We are stacked at WILL, but have no depth at MIKE or SAM to speak of. If Crowell moves inside, draft Timmons, if he stays outside, draft Willis, pretty simple if it comes down to us having to address linebacker due to all other worthy selections being off the board.
First four rounds?
And a lot of people trust Ellison's chances at SLB, regardless of his size.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Quote:
Quote:
First four rounds?
I don't like this years crop of linebackers for our situation. Majority of the top tier inside linebackers are all thumpers who won't last in a cover-2. All the early linebackers are WILL backers aside from Stewart Bradley who is too heavy probably unless he can run with that size and Lawrence Timmons who is the only SAM backer who can player the cover-2 that is worth drafting in the first 4 rounds. The only linebackers I would want in the first 4 rounds aside from Timmons and Willis are Brandon Siler, Anthony Waters and Buster Davis or Stewart Bradley if he can put in a nice 40 at the combine and prove that he has the speed to play in our defense.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
First four rounds?
I don't like this years crop of linebackers for our situation. Majority of the top tier inside linebackers are all thumpers who won't last in a cover-2. All the early linebackers are WILL backers aside from Stewart Bradley who is too heavy probably unless he can run with that size and Lawrence Timmons who is the only SAM backer who can player the cover-2 that is worth drafting in the first 4 rounds. The only linebackers I would want in the first 4 rounds aside from Timmons and Willis are Brandon Siler, Anthony Waters and Buster Davis or Stewart Bradley if he can put in a nice 40 at the combine and prove that he has the speed to play in our defense.
Anthony Waters would be someone I wouldn't mind waiting on.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
KJ4140
Rookie

KJ4140 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would take Brandon Siler in the second round
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Ahmad Bradshaw in Round 3!
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:20 AM    (permalink
essential
Rookie

essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeebe82
Quote:
KJ4140 wrote:

yea, after the press conference, a couple things are more clear about the draft:

1) no first day offensive linemen
2) no TE's
3) a first day RB
I skimmed a small part of the article but where does Levy state he is not looking for a TE within the NFL draft?

I would love to bring in a runningback through the draft but if we use a first round pick i believe our only option should be AD. Im just not a huge fan of Lynch at all, i see him as a solid back but not as a potential superstar. Instead of Lynch i would rather grab kenny irons in the second or bush in the third if he continues to slip. Bush is a big bruising back while imo irons would open up the offense and allow fairchild to setup screens and the runningback coming out of the backfield due to iron's great hands.
He talks about wanting to get the TE's more involved, and that the staff feels Robert Royal has the talent to be a receiving threat, but since the o-line was so bad he had to be kept in to block to much. Maybe they'd go with a second day guy, but I think they feel Royal is their pass catching TE threat, and they won't go after a Olsen or Miller in the second, Marv just didn't sound like he thought it was much of a need, and that Royal was their guy. I can't see them drafting a late round TE either with Marv saying Everett will have to show something this year, meaning he'll still be on the roster, and the staff still loving Cielask. I can't see going into the season with 4 TE's.

that being said, i still wouldn't mind olsen in the second, heh.

This is the NFL draft, not a boyscout draft.

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
KJ4140
Rookie

It seems as though the first day of the draft won't see any OL or TE's going to the Bills (barring a large fall for a top prospect i.e. Olsen or Grubbs in the 3rd). So I'm thinking the Bills are going to get a LB, CB, and RB on the first day, since Marv said they were likely going to draft a RB. A WR is also a possibility if someone drops to the second- Rice, Bowe, Jarrett, or Meachem.

I think it'll turn out something like this...
1. Patrick Willis- MLB- perfect fit for our system and a great leader and athlete.
2. Top CB/WR- CB would be best- it's a bigger need, we'd need someone like Houston, Hughes, McCauley, or Ross to fall to us. But it would be very tempting to take one of the WR's I listed before (most likely Meachem or Rice) if they fell and only say McCauley was left.
3. RB- Irons, Bush, Bradshaw, Walker, whoever the top RB left is. We might have to go with a CB here though if we take a Rice or Meachem in the second round.

I think ideally we could get Willis, Hughes, and Irons. Of course... everything would change if AD slid a little.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
gookieman

i do not understand why everybody wants us to draft Patrick Willis? He is a very talented linebaker and i like him alot but i think there are much bigger concerns on our team then a Linebaker, especially for a 1st round pick. I personally think that we should resign Fletcher on a small contract like 2 seasons, 3 tops, and then draft someone like a Buster Davis in the 3rd if he falls that far or even like a Jon Abbate from Wake Forest on the 2nd day and eventually groom him to replace London. Abbate could be a very nice sleeper pick and we would not have to use any first day picks on a LB. I personally think we draft Levi Brown to improve our o-line. Whether that means trading down a bit to get him or even taking him at #12 i think it is the right pick for the bills and would improve our biggest need on the team which is obviously o-line. As for CB i think we let it stay the way it is for a season maybe grab a late rounder for some depth and see how McGee and Youboty do together.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM    (permalink
gookieman

and if we do end up trading McGahee (which i hope we don't) i'd like to see us draft Marshawn Lynch at #12 and then selecting Grubbs or another good o-lineman in the 2nd round.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

heavyduty, did you read what Marv said about the offensive line in relation to the draft?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 AM    (permalink
KJ4140
Rookie

We're not drafting a RT at #12 or even on the first day.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
gookieman

ya i kno he said they will not be adressing it, but i'm just stating my personal opinion and if we don't draft anybody for our o-line then we damn well better be spending some cash on some FA o-lineman cuz we need some help there.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty
if we don't draft anybody for our o-line then we damn well better be spending some cash on some FA o-lineman cuz we need some help there.
And that is what Marv said we would do...
Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

I just saw Boss Bailey was a FA, he's a pretty good SLB and if Takeo is cut like some speculate we'll need to address that position as well as WLB or MLB depending if Crowell goes inside or not. What do you guys think of Boss?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
KJ4140
Rookie

They're planning on going after some FA guards, unrestricted and restricted I think. Guys like UFA Steinbach and RFA's Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja of the Colts. We could have a line like Peters-Steinbach-Fowler-Scott-Pennington. That would be a huge upgrade w/o using up all our top draft picks. We'd just have to give Indy something like a fifth rounder.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

I heard Scott's comp is a 5th rounder, if we go after him and get him, we don't have a 5th... what happens?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
I just saw Boss Bailey was a FA, he's a pretty good SLB and if Takeo is cut like some speculate we'll need to address that position as well as WLB or MLB depending if Crowell goes inside or not. What do you guys think of Boss?
Well, there is a strong possibility he comes, and vice-versa as well, it really depends on what Jauron thought of him in his time spent in Detroit and if they liked each other enough, I think he could be a lock to join us if Jauron liked him in Detroit.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
essential
Rookie

essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by essential
After Marv's (the Bills GM) press conference, I can say the bills will not draft a first round corner, they will draft a first day RB, no TE's, and no offensive line (at least not with the intention to start right away, Marv specifically said he doesn't think rookie O-Linemen can help).

I'm pretty sure they are going to go LB or DE in the first round, either Poz, Willis, or Charles Johnson.

Only way we go DT is if Branch somehow falls, I can't see them taking Okoye as we already have two young 3-Tech DT's, we need a NT, and unless they think Okoye can play NT, he won't be taken. Okoye would be wasting his talent as a NT anyway, he is a pure 3-Tech DT.
I'd agree on most points. I get really iffy when it comes to DE. What makes you believe there is no chance of a first round corner. It seems logical to me, but I'm just wondering where you've heard this because I might've missed it. Same thing with TE.
i'm posting this reply here because the thread in the main forum pretty much belongs here now anyway.

anyway ... i believe there is no chance of a first round corner because when the press ask Marv about resigning Clements and the hole it leaves, he goes right into talking about how the staff likes Youbouty and they think he's a smart kid. if anything, i think we go FA for a CB and sign a lesser CB like Hood from the Eagles or something while our younger CBs develop. maybe they take a first day CB somewhere, but it just came off to me that CB wasn't a high priority to Marv.

as for TE, some of this was posted above in a response i had, but here it is:

Quote:
He talks about wanting to get the TE's more involved, and that the staff feels Robert Royal has the talent to be a receiving threat, but since the o-line was so bad he had to be kept in to block to much. Maybe they'd go with a second day guy, but I think they feel Royal is their pass catching TE threat, and they won't go after a Olsen or Miller in the second, Marv just didn't sound like he thought it was much of a need, and that Royal was their guy. I can't see them drafting a late round TE either with Marv saying Everett will have to show something this year, meaning he'll still be on the roster, and the staff still loving Cielask. I can't see going into the season with 4 TE's.

This is the NFL draft, not a boyscout draft.

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
losabio

i dont think the Bills even draft a CB first day. Bringing in Harper or a seasoned vet at CB would be a great help. I see them looking at RB, since Willis just aint the answer at that position. We could go for a LB also at #12, i could see it. There is alot of talent at RB this year and they could get a decent back later on. Tony Hunt and michael bush will be availabe later on day 1 and could be valuable picks. John Cornish is also an option.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
KJ4140
Rookie

Now that I think about it, CB really might not be addressed on the first day. You could be right. I mean, CB is not supposed to be a huge need in the Tampa 2 so a guy like Ashton Youboty can probably step in and replace Nate this year without too many problems. Really a CB corps of McGee, Youboty, Greer, Thomas(?), and someone like Nick Harper or Jason David could turn out fine. I still wouldn't really mind adding someone in the second round- say Hughes or Ross fell. But we might be ok with CBs.

I think we should look to draft Patrick Willis in the first round for sure, along with a RB and one of the following: CB, WR, and DE- first day.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
losabio

I wouldnt even think of CB on the first day (this is going on the basis that the Bills will sign a CB in FA) possibly not even at all. LB in the first round, but I would also want to see Adam Carriker come on. I think he would be great in Buffalo, adding that spark that they need. He could go inside and help free the LB's, or he could play end. Either way i could see it. I see the 2nd round going with a WR, there should be many good ones left, and I know Marv is happy with the TE, but I still think they could draft one soon times. I also think that they could go with a RB either in the 2nd or 3rd round no doubt.