Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
gookieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26
I wouldnt even think of CB on the first day (this is going on the basis that the Bills will sign a CB in FA) possibly not even at all. LB in the first round, but I would also want to see Adam Carriker come on. I think he would be great in Buffalo, adding that spark that they need. He could go inside and help free the LB's, or he could play end. Either way i could see it. I see the 2nd round going with a WR, there should be many good ones left, and I know Marv is happy with the TE, but I still think they could draft one soon times. I also think that they could go with a RB either in the 2nd or 3rd round no doubt.
I agree, Carriker could give us a solid Richard Seymour like player to anchor our D-line for years.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
KJ4140
Rookie

KJ4140 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Carriker won't be around in the second round and theres no way we take him in the first round. It would have to be another trade-up like last year.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
losabio

ya thats what I was saying. Althought it would be very nice to see Carriker come to Buffalo I highly doubt it, unless they are willing to use the 12th pick to get him, or trade up, but doing so would cost them thier later picks in day one. I would say you could take him over Willis, but I think that Lb is more of a priority than DL. I think it would be a great pick, but I doubt it will happen.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty
i do not understand why everybody wants us to draft Patrick Willis? He is a very talented linebaker and i like him alot but i think there are much bigger concerns on our team then a Linebaker, especially for a 1st round pick. I personally think that we should resign Fletcher on a small contract like 2 seasons, 3 tops, and then draft someone like a Buster Davis in the 3rd if he falls that far or even like a Jon Abbate from Wake Forest on the 2nd day and eventually groom him to replace London. Abbate could be a very nice sleeper pick and we would not have to use any first day picks on a LB. I personally think we draft Levi Brown to improve our o-line. Whether that means trading down a bit to get him or even taking him at #12 i think it is the right pick for the bills and would improve our biggest need on the team which is obviously o-line. As for CB i think we let it stay the way it is for a season maybe grab a late rounder for some depth and see how McGee and Youboty do together.
Its not just that simple. Fletcher hasn't sounded very enthusiastic about coming back. I don't midn waiting on LB if the right guy is there, but I'm a big fan of Willis and eh is one of my top choices for the first round.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essential
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Quote:
Originally Posted by essential
After Marv's (the Bills GM) press conference, I can say the bills will not draft a first round corner, they will draft a first day RB, no TE's, and no offensive line (at least not with the intention to start right away, Marv specifically said he doesn't think rookie O-Linemen can help).

I'm pretty sure they are going to go LB or DE in the first round, either Poz, Willis, or Charles Johnson.

Only way we go DT is if Branch somehow falls, I can't see them taking Okoye as we already have two young 3-Tech DT's, we need a NT, and unless they think Okoye can play NT, he won't be taken. Okoye would be wasting his talent as a NT anyway, he is a pure 3-Tech DT.
I'd agree on most points. I get really iffy when it comes to DE. What makes you believe there is no chance of a first round corner. It seems logical to me, but I'm just wondering where you've heard this because I might've missed it. Same thing with TE.
i'm posting this reply here because the thread in the main forum pretty much belongs here now anyway.

anyway ... i believe there is no chance of a first round corner because when the press ask Marv about resigning Clements and the hole it leaves, he goes right into talking about how the staff likes Youbouty and they think he's a smart kid. if anything, i think we go FA for a CB and sign a lesser CB like Hood from the Eagles or something while our younger CBs develop. maybe they take a first day CB somewhere, but it just came off to me that CB wasn't a high priority to Marv.

as for TE, some of this was posted above in a response i had, but here it is:

Quote:
He talks about wanting to get the TE's more involved, and that the staff feels Robert Royal has the talent to be a receiving threat, but since the o-line was so bad he had to be kept in to block to much. Maybe they'd go with a second day guy, but I think they feel Royal is their pass catching TE threat, and they won't go after a Olsen or Miller in the second, Marv just didn't sound like he thought it was much of a need, and that Royal was their guy. I can't see them drafting a late round TE either with Marv saying Everett will have to show something this year, meaning he'll still be on the roster, and the staff still loving Cielask. I can't see going into the season with 4 TE's.
If the staff feels that way then fine, but I don't see Royal as much of a receving threat. He found himself wide open a couple times late in the year, but he almost never makes the tough catch. There's a chance he can be it but its not something I trust right now. Cieslak I will definitely agree with, though. He looked good whenever I was able to see him from the offseason to his late-season playing time.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
losabio

ya you can almost bet that a CB, or a DB for that matter will not be taken in day 1. I hope they draft a TE, but after hearing about how Royal had to stay in and block alot makes sense, that he wasnt able to leave and run his routes. Theres only one way to see this....upgrade the oline. they would not benefit immediately through ht draft, so enter FA. I expect them to pick up olinemen in FA, erasing that spot from thier draft needs.

That leaves CB, S, QB, TE and OL off the board for day one at least. unless Grubbs or a tope lineman falls later into day one.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

I'm not assuming anything in free agency, so I can't discount a CB from being taken day 1. We don't need a first rounder for our scheme, but without Clements we're in a very shaky situation. If we do something in FA, then thats great. But I'm not just going to set it aside assuming we have it handled when we currently have McGee, Youboty, and a spot that's yet to be filled, not counting those FAs we have that are barely worth dime spots in a cover 2.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
losabio

well seeing as Youboty is entering his 2nd year and that there is doubt that he will be able to compete is out there, there is no point seeing them drafting another CB in the first round, seing as he wont be able to step in and be a #1 corner. Get him through FA, there is where you be able to find a #1 corner. Not to mention that the Bills have ALOT (around 30 million) of cap room. So they are prepared to do some spending.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
KJ4140
Rookie

KJ4140 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think that as of right now, there isn't a rookie that will be able to step in and play at a higher level than Youboty will be able to. Yes, he was a 3rd round pick and it would seem logical that a 1st or 2nd rounder would be ahead of him. He's got a year under him though of studying the playbook so he's got a big advantage there. By drafting a CB, we're really only getting a nickelback in my eyes. A nickelback really isn't worth a high pick, so I can definitely see us waiting on CB's- unless someone falls.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quick question...

Does the Bills OL run a ZBS?
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:45 AM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere
Quick question...

Does the Bills OL run a ZBS?
Not very often, we don't run it as our primary blocking scheme though, Im pretty sure at least.

After saying that I thought to myself, ****, McGahee is a great blocker in the backfield. That made me a little worried because if we get rid of him Losman may lose some blocking and some confidence in his running back. If we get rid of him we better pick up one damn good pass blocking back because McGahee is a great one, I remember him leveling a couple guys this year.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:26 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Willis is entering the last year of his contract and I do not think he is going anywhere. He will have the motivation to do well before free agency. As far as the blocking scheme , I don't know but will agree that Willis makes some great hits, and for some reason misses some easy ones.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty
Quote:
I wouldnt even think of CB on the first day (this is going on the basis that the Bills will sign a CB in FA) possibly not even at all. LB in the first round, but I would also want to see Adam Carriker come on. I think he would be great in Buffalo, adding that spark that they need. He could go inside and help free the LB's, or he could play end. Either way i could see it. I see the 2nd round going with a WR, there should be many good ones left, and I know Marv is happy with the TE, but I still think they could draft one soon times. I also think that they could go with a RB either in the 2nd or 3rd round no doubt.
I agree, Carriker could give us a solid Richard Seymour like player to anchor our D-line for years.
Please, Carriker can play in a 3-4 or a standard 4-3 but he would be useless in a cover 2.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ya you can almost bet that a CB, or a DB for that matter will not be taken in day 1. I hope they draft a TE, but after hearing about how Royal had to stay in and block alot makes sense, that he wasnt able to leave and run his routes. Theres only one way to see this....upgrade the oline. they would not benefit immediately through ht draft, so enter FA. I expect them to pick up olinemen in FA, erasing that spot from thier draft needs.

That leaves CB, S, QB, TE and OL off the board for day one at least. unless Grubbs or a tope lineman falls later into day one.
Your dreaming, for all we know Youboty is nothing more than an average nickel back. A true CB must be found. OL is also not off the board for day 1. I'd bet right now that we'd take Brown if he last to us or at least somebody by round 3. TE is also a strong possibility in round 2. I do agree that a QB nor a safety will be drafted day 1.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter how big our cap $$$'s are, we are a franchise that doesn't spend money, we're cheap, cheap, cheap and FA won't bring much in.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
losabio

i dont know if you follow the Bills that much, but Marv Levy has already come out and said that he is happy with Robert Royal and he think that he is a pass catchig TE, but because the OL was weak last year, he had to stay in and block. He said the OL needs upgrades but not through the draft. They wont be able to make an immediate impact. He said he is going to upgrade the OL through Free Agency. Brown is not going to be an option. Id say Patrick Willis is the ideal pick here, Marv has also talked about letting Takeo Spikes go, therefore there would be an even greater need to draft a LB.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

DWhitner20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
i dont know if you follow the Bills that much, but Marv Levy has already come out and said that he is happy with Robert Royal and he think that he is a pass catchig TE, but because the OL was weak last year, he had to stay in and block. He said the OL needs upgrades but not through the draft. They wont be able to make an immediate impact. He said he is going to upgrade the OL through Free Agency. Brown is not going to be an option. Id say Patrick Willis is the ideal pick here, Marv has also talked about letting Takeo Spikes go, therefore there would be an even greater need to draft a LB.
I agree with you and the position you want to draft but I prefer drafting Lawrence Timmons. Patrick Willis would be fine though but I agree big time with what you stated above.
DWhitner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bills Big Board
Alan Branch
Jamaal Anderson
Gaines Adams
Adam Carriker
Lawrence Timmons
Darrelle Revis
Leon Hall
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody have an opinion on Ronnie McGill-RB North Carolina, Adam Bradshaw-RB Marshall, Brandon Jackson-RB Nebraska?
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Right
Bills Big Board
Alan Branch
Jamaal Anderson
Gaines Adams
Adam Carriker
Lawrence Timmons
Darrelle Revis
Leon Hall
Needs a little work. Branch, Anderson and Carriker cannot play for a cover 2 team which is the defense we use?????
Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Right
Bills Big Board
Alan Branch
Jamaal Anderson
Gaines Adams
Adam Carriker
Lawrence Timmons
Darrelle Revis
Leon Hall
Carriker? Ahhh. Definetly not a fan of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
Needs a little work. Branch, Anderson and Carriker cannot play for a cover 2 team which is the defense we use?????
Branch definetly could play DT for us.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

YOUR 2007-08 BUFFALO BILLS (in my opinion of course)

The Offense
QB - J.P. Losman
Definetly proved he's a capable NFL Starting QB, should improve a good amount this year.

RB - Willis McGahee
Even though theres a lot of talk about him, I feel when it all comes down he'll be here for next year and string up his best year yet then hit the FA market.

WR1 - Lee Evans
Definetly a number one target, will be among the NFL Elite at WR.

WR2 - Peerless Price/Josh Reed/Roscoe Parrish
Another year of WR by committee for that 2nd spot.

TE - Robert Royal
We'll see him get involved more in the passing game.

FB - Draft Pick/FA
Shelton will be cut.

LT - Jason Peters
Pro Bowler next year?

LG - FA/Draft
Most likley FA pickup to start here.(Steinbach, Deilman, Dockery, Scott?)

C - Melvin Fowler
The staff likes him, solid play, he's a lock.

RG - FA/Draft/Duke Preston
Chris V will be cut, the guy can't be relied upon. We'll pickup someone in FA or via the draft to compete for the job with Duke Preston.

RT - Terrance Pennington
Brad Butler could push for the job but Terrance played well last year and should improve.

The Defense
DE - Aaron Schobel
Finally got his pro bowl.

NT - John McCargo
He'll take over the NT job in our defense this year, he's our every down DT and will hopefully emerge as a good pass rusher and run stuffer.

UT - Larry Triplett
Hopefully we'll see improved production from this guy, he was mediocre last year. We should expect more.

DE - Anthony Hargrove/Ryan Denney
We wont retain Kelsay, he'll hit the FA market. Hargrove and Denney will replace him, don't expect a fall off in production as Kelsay was just mediocre. Hargrove could be better.

SLB - FA/Keith Ellison
I'm beginning to agree with people thinking Takeo will be a cut. Ellison filled in a few times at SLB and played well, I trust him there and feel he could start next year but I'd much rather pickup a FA to man this spot. Here's to hoping Dick Jauron can bring in SLB Boss Bailey from the Lions.

MLB - Angelo Crowell
With London departing in FA, I think the staff will move Crowell inside since he'll be the leader of our LBs next year. It's a new era and our "new veteran" will man the middle and make the calls. Angelo's a good fit here.

WLB - Draft
Lawrence Timmons round 1 or Beason/Siler/Everett round 2.

FS - Ko Simpson
Good play last year, should improve with expirience and more knowledge of the system.

CB - Terrence McGee
Outperformed Nate Clements at times last year but didn't as a whole

CB - Ashton Youboty/FA
If the staff dosen't feel Ashton will be ready at the beginning, we'll go after and land Nick Harper who is a bonified starter but up there in age to hold the fort down. If the staff feels Ashtons alright, I still think we'll sign a guy like Rod Hood to push him.

SS - Donte Whitner
He's a baller. Expect a big step up from him next year, he had a solid rookie year but I expect more gamebreaking plays from this guy. Expirience and knowledge of the system will benefit him.

Last Prediction: 2nd place AFCE, Playoffs!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Finally some non-love for Carriker. But I disagree that we would take Brown.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
losabio

Good stuff, i think it looks good. I think they could still use a 2nd WR, thats why i wouldnt mind seeing one being picked up inthe offseason via draft or FA. THe OL could be set with a couple additions. I like Ryan Lilja playing guard, he is a FA and apparently Marv will be after him. I Mccargo and Tripplet inside, but if Tripplet were to falter-again- then you have Kyle Williams next in line. I like Hargrove at DE, I think he could be as solid as Kelsay if not more so. I think one or two LB additions through FA should be good, also drafting a LB would fit thier needs. I would also like to see Nick Harper come to Buffalo, I think he would step in and gdo a good job since he did a nice one in Indy's cover 2. Should be good. One addtion i would love to see would Addalius Thomas to Buffalo. They have the money to spend, its just a matter of if they want to give it to him.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee
Finally some non-love for Carriker. But I disagree that we would take Brown.
I don't like him either. He would be a UT in our defense and would be a waste of a selection. The only defensive ends I want are:
Gaines Adams (trade up)
Jamaal Anderson
Charles Johnson (trade down [or up from second if he falls])

After that we aren't going to find anyone who will be much of an improvement over a combo of Hargrove/Denney/Kelsay if he resigns. Maybe Brian Robinson on day two or Justin Hickman in round six if he lasts that long.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

I was looking at some later round guys that I like and that could develop and fill needs for us and here is what I got.

I'm thinking about our guard situation still. A guy who was thought of as a first round talent by several before the season who has really fallen off the face of the earth is Kyle Young. I know he got kicked off the team due to academic reasons, and he wasn't playing too well this year before that, but he is talented and if his stock got hurt as much as I think it did, he could be around in the middle of day two and I think he is a guy that we could take a long look at if he were available in the second half of the fifth round to trade up a little and hope we can grab him. I don't think he could step in right away at right guard, but he definitely has what it takes, he just needs to put it all together.

Another guy who I wouldn't mind seeing on our roster next season is Justin Vincent of L.S.U. He might never be more than a backup, but I think he can be an excellent number two back for us. He isn't a threat out of the backfield, but I like his frame as a pass blocker. He is more of a straight ahead runner and can just pound it inside. He was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school but has never shouldered the full load. His best season was as a freshman when he was given the most opportunities. He had his worst season this year as a senior but he isn't the kind of back who succeeds with 4 carries a game, he will succeed if he is in every few series for several plays. He also steps up in the clutch, he even had his best game of the season against Notre Dame with 71 yards on 12 carries.

Rory Johnson is a linebacker that I wouldn't mind to see as a Bills in Training Camp. He came out early and I think that was a mistake, but if he lasts until the sixth round or seventh like I think he will he could be a blessing in disguise. He is an incredible athlete and could play either WLB or SLB for us. He had a huge year this year for Mississippi recording 94 tackles, 84 of which came in his 7 starts, imagine what those numbers would be stretched over a full 12 games. He is still incredibly raw though because he played 2 years in Junior College and only one in D-IA which is why I think he made a mistake by coming out early. If we got him in the sixth or seventh round I would be ecstatic, I would definitely get him a lot of pre-season action and then if he plays as well as I think he can be a primary back up for now and if he doesn't play that well get him on the practice squad.

Just three guys I really like who could be really good day two selections.