Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. I don't really think you guys are in rebuilding mode ... at least, relative to last year. I think it's just a cleaning out process that was needed. Clements just wasn't worth the value that he got relative to what your team needs. Fletcher-Baker and Spikes are both declining, and the staff seems pretty high on Keith Ellison. McGahee wasn't that productive. Sure, they are losses, but I don't think it signals a rebuilding process relative to last year (now, the case can be made that they started the rebuilding process last year with the thorough overhaul of the defense, and they are continuing it this year ... but I don't think that the direction of the team this offseason is different from last year, if that's clear).

2. Name to watch out for: I completely had Dedrick Harrington off the radar, and then I perused the pro day results and saw his name, and remember how intrigued I was with him coming into the year. Very solid times (granted, it's turf, so the high 4.6/low 4.7 time is probably closer to mid-high 4.7's). He was a solid playmaker who is still learning the linebacking position, but flashes good all around athletic ability, strength, and quickness. Good size (close to 250) and plays the run well enough and is solid enough against the pass(former safety). Good size also, at 6'3". If you pass on LB early, taking someone like Harrington later on could be a nice move.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bills fans,
Please tell me Michael Smith from ESPN is an idiot for saying that the Bills were interested in Julius Jones and #22 for #12. Please. Thank you.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
marv levy's older brother

I would take the #22 and a draft choice, not there spare running back. Another 2nd choice helps.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
1. I don't really think you guys are in rebuilding mode ... at least, relative to last year. I think it's just a cleaning out process that was needed. Clements just wasn't worth the value that he got relative to what your team needs. Fletcher-Baker and Spikes are both declining, and the staff seems pretty high on Keith Ellison. McGahee wasn't that productive. Sure, they are losses, but I don't think it signals a rebuilding process relative to last year (now, the case can be made that they started the rebuilding process last year with the thorough overhaul of the defense, and they are continuing it this year ... but I don't think that the direction of the team this offseason is different from last year, if that's clear).

2. Name to watch out for: I completely had Dedrick Harrington off the radar, and then I perused the pro day results and saw his name, and remember how intrigued I was with him coming into the year. Very solid times (granted, it's turf, so the high 4.6/low 4.7 time is probably closer to mid-high 4.7's). He was a solid playmaker who is still learning the linebacking position, but flashes good all around athletic ability, strength, and quickness. Good size (close to 250) and plays the run well enough and is solid enough against the pass(former safety). Good size also, at 6'3". If you pass on LB early, taking someone like Harrington later on could be a nice move.
I dont know much about Harrington, I will check out some scouting reports.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, curious about some perspective. I keep a day 1 mock on file that I make adjustments to constantly, and post-trade, I was trying to work out the Bills day 1. So far, I have the day 1 roughly looking like (no-trade)

1. Marshawn Lynch - Running back has to be at the top of the board ... even if a veteran is signed (and the remaining veterans have huge questions). Offers a back that has the all-around skills that Fairchild would probably prefer.

2. Quinn Pitcock - Look, I'm not a fan. I have to get that out of the way first. I think he's a slightly better version of Kyle Williams. That said, after the combine, he's likely locked up a top 2 round spot. Offers some versatility at both roles, although I don't think he'll be great at either. First comment is probably - what about LB? So far, at that point, Posluszny, Timmons, Beason, Willis, Siler have all come off.

3a. Justin Durant - Versatile LB could play inside or out in the scheme.

3b. Kenny Scott - Big corner could fit well in the scheme.

Just wondering what people thought on viability. The only issue is not going a WR in there, as I think a WR will be pursued. As I was adjusting the 3rd round, I was thinking LB/CB/WR. Tentatively, the 4th round pick as of now would likely go WR, possibly Rheema McKnight.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Hey, curious about some perspective. I keep a day 1 mock on file that I make adjustments to constantly, and post-trade, I was trying to work out the Bills day 1. So far, I have the day 1 roughly looking like (no-trade)

1. Marshawn Lynch - Running back has to be at the top of the board ... even if a veteran is signed (and the remaining veterans have huge questions). Offers a back that has the all-around skills that Fairchild would probably prefer.

2. Quinn Pitcock - Look, I'm not a fan. I have to get that out of the way first. I think he's a slightly better version of Kyle Williams. That said, after the combine, he's likely locked up a top 2 round spot. Offers some versatility at both roles, although I don't think he'll be great at either. First comment is probably - what about LB? So far, at that point, Posluszny, Timmons, Beason, Willis, Siler have all come off.

3a. Justin Durant - Versatile LB could play inside or out in the scheme.

3b. Kenny Scott - Big corner could fit well in the scheme.

Just wondering what people thought on viability. The only issue is not going a WR in there, as I think a WR will be pursued. As I was adjusting the 3rd round, I was thinking LB/CB/WR. Tentatively, the 4th round pick as of now would likely go WR, possibly Rheema McKnight.
Lynch at #12 is perfect. I'd go with Waters in the 2nd there probably if those guys are all gone. Who is left at CB in round 2? I like Durant in the 3rd even if we take Waters in the 2nd. LB/CB/WR is perfect in the 3rd. In the 4th, I would love Laurent Robinson, much more so than McKnight.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Maybe I'm just tentative, but I still can't see Waters in the top 2 rounds. Until he works out, it's tough to put him up there, due to the injury. I could see a team perhaps chancing a 3rd on him right now, but until he works out (and I think it's in April), he's still a day 2 pick for me. Upside is undoubtedly there, but the injury leaves me tentative to slate him higher.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

glazeduck smells like sex panther.

I personally don't see Lynch offering good value in the 1st. Yeah he's good, but behind a good OL which we're beginning to have, Michael Bush, Kenny Irons, and 5 or 6 other guys could also be real good and had later (I think Bush is still a 3rd rounder unless he performs well at his his pro day). I feel we can get that guy, whoever he may be, w/ our 3rd rd. pick. I also don't think CB will be a 1st day pick, just based on how amazingly deep that position is this year.

As I see it, DT (Okoye), WR (could probably trade down some and still get Jarrett...worst case scenario is Rice or Bowe...def not bad), or possibly LB (Trade down a bit for Timmons, Willis, etc.) offer the best value at our pick based on the lack of depth at their position.

I've said it before, but if we can trade into the 20's and get another 2nd round pick or multiple other picks we should still have a chance to get a guy like Willis, Jarrett, heck, maybe even Lynch still...in the 20's and w/ more picks he'd be a much better value. Just my 2cents.
glazeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazeduck View Post
I personally don't see Lynch offering good value in the 1st. Yeah he's good, but behind a good OL which we're beginning to have, Michael Bush, Kenny Irons, and 5 or 6 other guys could also be real good and had later (I think Bush is still a 3rd rounder unless he performs well at his his pro day). I feel we can get that guy, whoever he may be, w/ our 3rd rd. pick. I also don't think CB will be a 1st day pick, just based on how amazingly deep that position is this year.

As I see it, DT (Okoye), WR (could probably trade down some and still get Jarrett...worst case scenario is Rice or Bowe...def not bad), or possibly LB (Trade down a bit for Timmons, Willis, etc.) offer the best value at our pick based on the lack of depth at their position.

I've said it before, but if we can trade into the 20's and get another 2nd round pick or multiple other picks we should still have a chance to get a guy like Willis, Jarrett, heck, maybe even Lynch still...in the 20's and w/ more picks he'd be a much better value. Just my 2cents.
I just see the 2nd round guys being busts. Michael Bush may be my least favorite player in the entire draft. I definitely question Irons' pure power (not toughness). Hunt really doesn't do anything for me either...I see alot of McGahee last year in him. Lynch is a great player, IMO.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
glazeduck
Rookie

glazeduck smells like sex panther.

First, let me say that Hunt is garbage, I'd be pissed if we used a compensatory 7th rd pick on him. I can tell you right now that I have better hands than him, without question, and i'm an overwieght 23 year old college student.

Second, if these guys were good enough to star in big college systems, then, at least in my opinion, they have the opportunity to succeed in the NFL. I think busts are the guys that don't work to get better/faster/stronger/smarter and the ones that go to systems that don't fit their style of play. I have complete faith in Marv and DJ to find the guy(s) that will work hard and succeed in our system. The fact is that every rookie has plenty to work on and improve upon, the guys that become great are the guys that do it.

As far as Bush goes, I don't really see what's not to like about him aside from the injury. He was a legit Heisman contender until that injury and I feel it was completely deserved, the kid is huge, athletic, strong, fast, and powerful (different than strong IMO), but more importantly than any of that is he's a leader, a good person, and a very hard worker. If we can get him w/ the 10th pick in the 3rd thats about as much of a no brainer as Calvin Johnson falling to us at 12 (w/ hopefully a much higher liklihood of happening).

And yes, Lynch IS a great player, but I feel alot of these other guys can be great players too. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see another need filled sooner if it can't be filled later, unlike CB and RB.
glazeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Well, I will say that in my rough mock, Okoye was off the board, and I just don't see them going with Branch. Since it was a no-trade, I was hesitant to make a reach unless the reach was the thing that made the most sense. And the LB's, IMO, are all still reaches there. That left Lynch or a WR, and I leaned Lynch as RB seems mroe significant of a need than WR.

Tis early, though.

And yeah, I could see CB getting pushed to the 4th round. I was contemplating Steve Smith there in the 3rd round. Yeah, I know, bigger receiver would be nice, but Smith would be a solid number 2 and has the quickness for the scheme.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazeduck View Post
First, let me say that Hunt is garbage, I'd be pissed if we used a compensatory 7th rd pick on him. I can tell you right now that I have better hands than him, without question, and i'm an overwieght 23 year old college student.

Second, if these guys were good enough to star in big college systems, then, at least in my opinion, they have the opportunity to succeed in the NFL. I think busts are the guys that don't work to get better/faster/stronger/smarter and the ones that go to systems that don't fit their style of play. I have complete faith in Marv and DJ to find the guy(s) that will work hard and succeed in our system. The fact is that every rookie has plenty to work on and improve upon, the guys that become great are the guys that do it.

As far as Bush goes, I don't really see what's not to like about him aside from the injury. He was a legit Heisman contender until that injury and I feel it was completely deserved, the kid is huge, athletic, strong, fast, and powerful (different than strong IMO), but more importantly than any of that is he's a leader, a good person, and a very hard worker. If we can get him w/ the 10th pick in the 3rd thats about as much of a no brainer as Calvin Johnson falling to us at 12 (w/ hopefully a much higher liklihood of happening).

And yes, Lynch IS a great player, but I feel alot of these other guys can be great players too. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see another need filled sooner if it can't be filled later, unlike CB and RB.
Have you seen Bush's running style? He thinks he's a speed back. He might as well be 190 lbs., because he doesn't use any of his 250 lbs. in his "powerful" running style. The fact is though that he doesn't have really good speed. He has nimble feet but he needs to run with power if he's going to make it in the NFL.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1144/384996.wmv

Please explain to me why he runs like he is 190 lbs. and bounces as many runs to the outside as he can. He runs with a terrible pad level and doesn't dish out any power. I don't see why he is looked at as a top prospect.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
Lynch at #12 is perfect. I'd go with Waters in the 2nd there probably if those guys are all gone. Who is left at CB in round 2? I like Durant in the 3rd even if we take Waters in the 2nd. LB/CB/WR is perfect in the 3rd. In the 4th, I would love Laurent Robinson, much more so than McKnight.
I think Lynch is the obvious choice today, but I would prefer to get a Rb in the second.
Since I do not exactly who is available, I would go like this
1st - DT/WR/RB
Since Obi won konobi is gone then it is Lynch, if Jarret times well I would take him first
2nd - RB/WR
Antonio Pittman (at least he times well) Anthony Gonzalez if he is not a huge reach
3rd - CB/FB/LB Josh Willison? FB from Rutger? There is no backfield anymore.
Durant is Good
4th - FB/LB Zac DeOssie for LB or Mclain as a fullback
If you have a good well rounded fullback maybe you do not need to go to a 2 back scheme.
As far as DT in the second, What is the use. If there is not a big upside to the guy why bother.
Trade down seems to be the way to go.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

http://media.putfile.com/fredjackson

Here's Fred Jackson. Nothing special, IMO. I think Marv likes him because he went to his alma mater.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marshawn Lynch interview

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...all&id=4491055

Seems like a really nice kid and a team player.
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T.J. Duckett practically is playing for nothing in Detroit. Don't understand the interest in Chris Brown and no interest in Duckett.
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
essential
Rookie

essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Bills fans,
Please tell me Michael Smith from ESPN is an idiot for saying that the Bills were interested in Julius Jones and #22 for #12. Please. Thank you.
i haven't heard this, but i would do it on draft day if Peterson doesn't fall. if some how, some way, Peterson is there at #12, we take him, if he's not, i would take Jones, #22, and possibly a 4th or something, for #12. at #22 we should still be able to land Willis or Poz.
UDFA: Chris Burnette (OG) | FA: Jermaine Gresham (TE)

This is the NFL draft, not a boyscout draft.

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1144/384996.wmv

Please explain to me why he runs like he is 190 lbs. and bounces as many runs to the outside as he can. He runs with a terrible pad level and doesn't dish out any power. I don't see why he is looked at as a top prospect.
I agree that your description of Bush is right on however, he is faster than you might think with real quck feet and that is why he is a pretty good prospect. He needs to shed 20lbs if he wants to be a star in the NFL, he'll never do it at 250lbs.
Actually Leonard is now the #3 RB in the draft after posting a 4.50 40 at the combine. If we don't take Lynch in the 1st, he is our most likely target.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink

Is Coy Wire playing LB to take over on passing downs, and have Crowell in the rest of the time? If so does this negating the need for a 1st or 2nd round linbacker in the draft? If it is then I am beggining to like Marshawn Lynch/Brian Leonard combo. A good running back, another recieving threat and someone to pass block. Huge potential for the Bills offense.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv levy's older brother View Post
Is Coy Wire playing LB to take over on passing downs, and have Crowell in the rest of the time? If so does this negating the need for a 1st or 2nd round linbacker in the draft? If it is then I am beggining to like Marshawn Lynch/Brian Leonard combo. A good running back, another recieving threat and someone to pass block. Huge potential for the Bills offense.
I really doubt the Bills use 2 day 1 picks on offense, especially just in the backfield. I am expecting defense heavy again.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What would you guys give up for Lance Briggs?

I would gladly give them our second and then hit Briggs with a fat 7 year 60 Million dollar contract structured so that we can just cut him lose after 5 years or something and only end up paying him something like 40 million. I'd be content with that. We would be well off with a core of him and Crowell for the future, then we would have Ellison or someone else at SLB.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
mrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by essential View Post
i haven't heard this, but i would do it on draft day if Peterson doesn't fall. if some how, some way, Peterson is there at #12, we take him, if he's not, i would take Jones, #22, and possibly a 4th or something, for #12. at #22 we should still be able to land Willis or Poz.
I would do this trade in a heart beat. First off we get rid of our RB need and then we can fill another need like CB Aaron Ross maybe. If you think about it instead of getting Leon Hall we can get Ross and Julius Jones. I would much rather have Ross and Jones then just Hall. If the Bills manage to do this trade I will applaud them.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First, I'd have to say we are still in aq rebuilding mode by any definition. When 4 veterans are either released or traded , that's a lot of experience that has to be replaced. As for Lynch, he's OK, but there are a lot of pro analysts on NFL. com who see Peterson sliding to the Bills if there are no trades. Cleveland signed Lewis, Houston signed Green, Minny needs a DE, that could easily make Peterson this year's slider. His injuries worry top 10 teams and we could see him available at #12.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink

Default Running game and the rest of the holes.

here is a link to running stats in 2006 for all the nfl teams. It does not matter how you sort them the Bills are always in the bottom 1/4.
The Bills are not going to the Superbowl in 2007, but a wild card is a possibility. So what are the options to get the bills running game in line with other teams that made the playoffs?
1. Do you need to have the best running back available? Was it the Oline that failed? Where the bills not able to convert first downs or did they have to come from behind and had to rely on the passing game?
2. The holes: DT, CB, LB, #2 reciever (WR, TE, FB),
3. Draft depth:
DT is not deep and there may not be a player that will be ready day one.
CB draft is deeper and the cover 2 does not require an Elite player. or so they say.
LB draft is deeper and Bills need a man that can cover.
Reciever is very deep, 2 TE 's and FB's that can catch and some good WR depth.

My take:

If Amobi Okoye is on the board take him. He is not going to dominate right away but looks like he can over the 2-5 years. Dt quality drops off big time in the second. And you have to plan for the long haul not just this year.

Second round LB. Someone will be there to fits there needs.

Rb third round (Pittman)
The Running game upgrade is tempting, but may not solve the problem of going deep into the playoffs. The Oline upgrades may move the team from the bottom 1/4 of rushing stats to the middle of the leauge. That is enough for a wild card. What is the drop off in quality from first round to 2nd to third when you balance it against making a playoff run? I do not think it is that great, and the 3rd round seems like a good shot for a guy that will run for the next 2-5 years.
CB needs depth and not a elite player to make it to the wild card game. Use the 3rd round pick to find some.

Everyone wants to go to the playoffs, but the colts won the superbowl without E James, and the bear made it on defense. Peterson and lynch are tempting but not needed for a run deep into the playoffs.