Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2008's Top Prospects (Lets get started)

SI's Top 25:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

So for top 5 needs, I have something like this:

1. LT
2. DT
3. SS
4. RG
5. RB

Prospects I would love to have:

1. Jared Gaither. Because he is raw and unpolished, I could see him slipping to our pick, but because of his potential he could easily go top5. He is what, 6'9" and 350 lbs and runs a 4.9? He hasnt allowed a single sack in his Maryland career... He fits well with Petrino's scheme, but could be too tall for Vick.

2. Kenny Phillips. I want an elite safety so badly. Safeties are changing defenses and its just not a scrub position anymore. Jimmy Williams can definetly fill that mold, but what about Lawyer Milloy? He has a year or two left in his tank and we need to find a replacement. Kenny Phillips seems to be coming in from a line of great Miami safeties. Though I think he is over-exaggerating, one of his coaches has said something along the lines of Phillips having the football IQ of Reed, and the athleticism of Sean Taylor. He is a 6' 200 lb ballhawk who would fit well as a FS. Jimmy Williams could move to SS if necessary.

3. Sam Baker. LT is a massive need, and this guy seems perfect. Extremely good pass protecting who did alot of pass protecting for some great college QBs (Palmer (i think), Leinart, John David Booty). Very polished.

Wildcard: If Vick gets in deep doo doo, I see the Falcons unloading him. He has already had off field issues in the past, and with this, it could push the FO over the top. And if the story about the dog fighting is true, then quite frankly I wouldnt care. If Vick IS gone, QB is our immediate need. Seeing the Petrino connection, I can see us getting Brohm, and I would love it. Though he doesnt have the arm strength of the past elite QBs, his accuracy and decision making ability is EXCELLENT. The fact that he already knows Petrino's system makes the transition to the NFL alot easier. He could easily come in and contribute to our offense.

Pictures make things so much better...

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Last edited by Shiver : 05-07-2007 at 07:09 PM.
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if Vick doesn't get into any more trouble. If he just doesn't improve, I still think Brohm would be in play. Petrino has set lofty goals for Michael Vick, that will be hard to reach. Obviously it is hard to predict who we will take because I think this team's range is between 5-11 and 10-6. That's pretty vague.

Fortunately, next year's draft class is stacked. It seems as if the draft goes through a natural ebb and flow.
  • 2004 - Great
  • 2005 - Bad
  • 2006 - Great
  • 2007 - Mediocre
The team has a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks. Not to mention, likely another 3rd round pick for Patrick Kerney via compensation. That's a lot of ammo to either continue to stock up on talent. Either that, or ammo to trade up for whomever the team desires.

Last edited by Shiver : 05-07-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Even if Vick doesn't get into any more trouble. If he just doesn't improve, I still think Brohm would be in play. Petrino has set lofty goals for Michael Vick, that will be hard to reach. Obviously it is hard to predict who we will take because I think this team's range is between 5-11 and 10-6. That's pretty vague.

Fortunately, next year's draft class is stacked. The team has a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, two 3rd round picks. That's a lot of ammo to either continue to stock up on talent. Either that, or ammo to trade up for one of the elite players.
Is the 2nd 3rd rounder you are talking about the one we will get for Kerney?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You caught me, I just made an edit.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

All I know is I am going to pay more attention to the college ranks this year. I'm well versed in regards to the NFL, and how collegiate prospects translate. But my depth of knowledge was lacking last year.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

I CAUGHT A MISTAKE OF SHIVER'S. REP POINTS REP POINTS REP POINTS!!!

Same. I am okay with the top 3 rounds of draft prospects but after that I know like nothing. I figure I might as well get a head start on learning about the prospects.

Last edited by d34ng3l021 : 05-07-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
J-Dub

i want kenny phillips so bad. he will be a stud
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah holy crap.

Houston
J-Will
Phillips
Hall

*drool*
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Myron Rolle I'm calling it now, and I know he's only going to be a true Soph, but whenever he declares I want him in ATL.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Myron Rolle I'm calling it now, and I know he's only going to be a true Soph, but whenever he declares I want him in ATL.
**** man. When Rolle goes out, its me and you convincing every godamn Atlanta fan to trade up for him. And if we pass on him on the draft, we shoot ourselves.

Agreed?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm with ya on that...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I personally want any of the elite Left Tackles. Create a massive left side, with Blalock, and whichever among Long, Baker, Gaither.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Gaither Phillips and Adibi are my favourite 08 prospects, 2 of the 3 would be great 1st round picks for us
Old 05-08-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

All 3 would be. Adibi is a FREAK OLB and will dominate in the NFL imo.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:50 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

I gotta stop liking safety prospects. I started to like Huff during the combine, he raises his stock, goes before us.

I started to love Landry, he raises his stock, goes before us.

Watch the same thing happen with Phillips and then Rolle. :(

Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I gotta stop liking safety prospects. I started to like Huff during the combine, he raises his stock, goes before us.

I started to love Landry, he raises his stock, goes before us.

Watch the same thing happen with Phillips and then Rolle. :(
lol you and me both *points to username*, i wasnt keen on landry but loved nelson and merriweather and Huff but Sean Taylor was my fav all time prospect.

I also loved the unique concept of a bigger corner and loved #1 Cromartie and #2 Williams because of that, i never classed Williams as a safety so dispite the fact that he is gonna be ours for the next 10 years i have never got the thrill of thinkin "wow we just drafted a head hunting safety"

Oh and i know Adibi will be a freak but i was talking realistically and it seems that our LT SS situations far outweigh the situations of those teams allowed to pick BPA so unless Adibi does a michael bush im not optimistic about gettin him.

Ps Adibi, along with Sean Taylor is also the coolest looking guy in football gear ive ever seen, the guy is flat out ripped with a wicked visor and goes full on with the white sweatbands and stuff and Vtech white jerseys are awesome. He looks how he plays
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I know we need a LT, but we'll find one here soon I'm sure of it. Petrino wants his OL to be mammoth.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Jared Gaither and Jake Long definitely fit the bill then. If we can get either of those guys, our left side will be set for a decade.

Last edited by Shiver : 05-08-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Jared Gaither and Jake Long definitely fit the bill then. If we can get either of those guys, our left side will be set for a decade.
Jake Long is a top5 pick right now...Id be hard to get him.

And with our LB situation, who knows we might need him. We have 2 unproven guys (Beck and Nicholas) for depth, a stud who will most likely leave through FA (Williams), and an old stud at MLB (Brooking). The only solid guy who I think will be great and with us for a long time is Boley. I would have no problem with losing Demorrio Williams and gaining Xavier Adibi. Xavier is a badass.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

You know, one reason why the team might be reluctant to put Beck in at MLB could be an inability to properly diagnose plays and organise the defense. If the staff don't view him as the longterm replacement at MLB, then it's possible that they could be eyeing him up as a future SS, which doesn't have as much responsibility as Mike. He has the physical tools and athleticism, and would be an absolute headhunter. Not saying it's likely, but it's something to bear in mind...

Unless Omiyale or Ojinnaka step up, we absolutely must use a 1st rounder on a LT (not necessarily our first 1st rounder, but possibly a trade up with our two 2nds). There are at least five or six guys who should be first round caliber next year. My preseason ranking (for us, with emphasis on brute power) is:

Seniors - Jake Long; Sam Baker; Gosder Cherilous; Barry Richardson.
Juniors - Jared Gaither; Ryan Clady; Michael Oher.

That's a HELL of a lot of quality OT talent. We need some of it. In fact, even if one of the O's does develop, I'd be tempted to take whichever of the tackles falls to Houston's 2nd rounder.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

2008 mock draft (obviously ridiculously early). Based on current needs, and with Beck moving to SS (just my pet possibility at the moment...):

1st round: Jared Gaither LT (or any of the others, really)
2A: Frank Okam DT (i think he'll slip, just like Branch this year - we may have to hop up to get him)
2B: Alley Broussard RB (if he can recover fully from his injured knee, could be the power back we need; unless Snelling gets the job done...)
3: Jasper Brinkley MLB (Georgia boy, MLBs tend to fall)

That would certainly get the job done...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Jake Long is a top5 pick right now...Id be hard to get him.

Well we can't rule out that we will be picking in the top-5, can we? There are a lot of wild-cards on this team. Defensive tackle without Coleman potentially, relying on so many rookies, durability at the RB position, Michael Vick taking to the new offense, etcetera. This team has as much of a chance to go 5-11 as it does 11-5.

I willing to take a down year, then add another stacked day-1 in '08, this team will eventually rise to the top.

Last edited by Shiver : 05-08-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm incredibly high on Gaither. He would be a beast for us at LT
Old 05-12-2007, 01:21 AM    (permalink
J-Dub

i really think we should target kenny phillips rather than a oline men in the first because i think its harder to find a stud saftey than a stud o-line men.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:24 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

... but a 6"9 guy with all world potential at LT is not easy to find. It might all prove irrelevant if Gaither plays near his potential this year as you may well end up looking at the "CJ" of Offensive lineman next year and a top 5 pick