Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
peyton has to continue to play within himself and not second guess himself like he used to do in indy. he's been terrific so far, and as long as he and gase keep on attacking, i think they offense will be ok.

if peyton/gase or jdr fall back into 'prevent' ********, we'll get blown out in the second half no matter how well everyone else plays.
This. Seattle has struggled at times against hurry up offenses. They play a very intense brand of defense and if you can string together plays quickly, they do get tired.

A quick passing no-huddle attack is really the best way to beat them. They like to sub out defensive lineman and play situational football. If you can get them stuck out there they'll play overly conservatively and you can nickel and dime them all day.

The last 49ers drive is the perfect example. There were even people wide open on that last play and Kaep made a horrible decision. You don't want to throw up 50/50 balls against these guys because it's more like 80/20 favoring them.

They tend to lock onto one or two receivers in anticipation of a throw there and Manning just has to recognize who they are and move through his progressions quickly. Typically they play deeper shell coverage against the non-primary receivers so again, short stuff works.

Brees had Graham basically taken away and didn't adapt to it well enough. We'll see how Manning adapts when they take away the Thomas brothers (or maybe they decide to key on Welker and leave Julius in one on ones.)

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i don't trust our run defense. knighton and vickerson need to destroy the middle, and phillips needs to keep getting after wilson.
I am not sure big Vick will be much help in the SB.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Although I hate that this happened to Talib this week. I would enjoy it immensely if you did that to Sherman.
The hit on Talib doesnt sit particularly well with me either.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What a season the Broncos have had, and I'm so glad that it's still not over. This game against the Seahawks makes me nervous though, especially because they will be getting back Percy Harvin. While the Seahawks aren't a great offense, they make big plays. And that's exactly the weakness of our defense. We give up too many big plays. Containing Lynch is the obvious #1 priority, but slowing down Harvin is a very close 2nd.

Like everyone else, I'm very intrigued by the match-ups when the Broncos are on offense and Seattle is on defense. I don't think any defense, including Seattle's, has enough depth to handle all of our weapons... but I have a gut feeling that the receiver that they'll dare us to beat them with is Eric Decker. Really hoping Decker doesn't cry for PI calls in this game... doubt they'll award any to him - not against a D with the Seahawks' reputation.

And don't sleep on special teams. Keeping Harvin from giving Seattle good field position will be huge. And hopefully Holliday can give us a throwback game a la his performance against the Ravens last year.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namy View Post
And don't sleep on special teams. Keeping Harvin from giving Seattle good field position will be huge. And hopefully Holliday can give us a throwback game a la his performance against the Ravens last year.
This is an interesting point. With the two playoff games so far in Denver, Holliday was completely irrelevant as kickoff returns arent part of the game and he wasnt punt returning. I almost forgot he existed. Clearly we wont let him return punts in the superbowl, but kickoffs could be interesting. That being said, Seattle kickoff coverage is undoubtedly better than ours, so we will probably lose the game that way.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

So after laughing at njx's response to someone in the mock draft forum, maybe we should post a list of draft needs somewhere. Clearly it will be difficult to do as there a few unknowns regarding the 1 yr rentals we have (and whether they are resigned), as well as one or two possible retirements, however;

- safety and cb are massive needs. Moore is ok as a starter, but overall our safeties never seem to make plays or be in a position to make plays. It would also be nice to get good young cb if there was one available.

- ilb. We are reasonably well set on the outside, but inside is not good.

- dline - Depends on what happens with Phillips and Ayers, but we have good depth, just not awesome starters. drafting dline doesnt seem the best option as at the end of the first we wont get a stud. Reaching into FA if necessary is probably more likely.

- wr seems to be a very likely draft need (which appears odd after the season we just had). Decker may be gone, Caldwell isnt awesome and a UFA and good chance Welker isnt around too long.

- OG is a possibility, depending on whether they resign Beadles or want to add depth.

- QB, TE are not high on the list. RB either, even if Moreno goes it is possible they will leave Ball and Hillman to carry the load.

- any other thoughts?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
tackle might need 7th round depth, but with clark on the roster, that's it. te should definitely be out, since we need to get rid of some anyways.
This might be stupid, but any chance that we shop either Chris Clark or Ryan Clady during the off-season? If Chris Clark plays well in the Super Bowl against Seattle, we could probably trade him for a player in a position of need or package him in a deal for a higher draft pick. I get that having a quality backup tackle paid off big time this year, but given Manning's limited timetable, do you think it might make sense to adopt a go-big-or-go-home approach next year? I also mention this because if we do go for a WR in the first round like you suggest, I think there is only one worth getting. And that's Sammy Watkins. It'd be like having two DTs on the field, plus Welker and JT.

If we don't move up in the draft, I like CB Darqueze Dennard from Michigan St. Only watched a few of Mich. St. games, but he really stood out to me as a physical and fairly polished DB who could contribute quickly.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Team needs to upgrade ever level of the defense: pass rushing DE, defensive tackle, linebacker, safety and cornerback.

The back end is the most concerning with the FA status of players, Bailey's contract and injuries to some of our players.

I think we can wait a round or two to go with the DL. We need some playmakers at LB and the DB first three rounds.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What sucks is that if we had just played our regular brand of offense, we would have committed like 1-2 turnovers but it wouldn't be as bad as this...

Now we're "forced" to take actual chances in the second half and play the style of ball we've played all year. And it won't be as bad in the second, but this deficit...

Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team was done from the 1st play. I find it hard to believe that you could be so unprepared for the moment. Unfortunately, I've born witness to this before way back in the day when the team crapped its pants on the field against 49ers.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
The team was done from the 1st play. I find it hard to believe that you could be so unprepared for the moment. Unfortunately, I've born witness to this before way back in the day when the team crapped its pants on the field against 49ers.
See I was born into this like 22 years ago - spoiled. By the time I was 9 we had 2 rings. Guess it's my turn to suffer for a few decades.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

cant get off the field in third and long. secondary is awful, just awful.

i need to forget about football for a few months. catch you all nearer to draft time.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Jack Del Rio get **** canned?
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's just depressing how much worse than Seattle we really were at almost every position.
We came out and laid an egg, then gave up. I'm not sure the game was so much a talent evaluation as it was a motivation / heart evaluation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Does Jack Del Rio get **** canned?
I'd say the whole coaching staff should take a long look in the mirror.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
a little less angry now...

offseason priorities:

1) resign DRC. like, right now. he was the only valuable DB we had all year, and he needs to be back.
2) cut holliday. if he worries about hanging onto the ball, he's a terrible return man. if he doesn't, he fumbles every other return. i loved him last year, but let's move on.
3) resign moreno (i know, i know. i can't believe i said it, either) if he'll take a reasonable deal to stay here. if he won't, draft a guy in the late rounds and spend the offseason teaching ball whatever they taught moreno this year about getting to the hole.
4) linebackers and defensive backs. set up a tackling drill. put up a tackling dummy and tape the ball to it. then, have every non-DL player tackle it. if they go for the strip, cut them, instantly. i don't care if it's von. i have no idea what's supposed to be out there for FA, but it would be hard to get worse talent than we currently have. i'm ok with trevathan coming back.
5) cut champ if he won't retire. i love the guy for everything he did here, but he's done. he'd have been beat deep by hauschka.

anything pressing that i'm missing?
Surprisingly i am not that upset today. I think it is because we were beat so damn comprehensively.

What do you think about spending in FA on a safety? It has been such a long time since we had anyone at safety that was a factor. CBs tend to look much better when they actually get help, like ever. Our run def was okay yesterday, and mostly has all season. the pass rush was poor yesterday, but again, has been okay most of the season. Yeah, we need cbs and an ilb, but there cant be many worse starting safeties in the nfl than ours.

moreno and decker will be very interesting FA cases. Both produced like top tier players without being top tier players. Are they delusional or cash hungry enough to chase that sort of money, or would they rather sign a deal commensurate with their actual ability.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
i can't imagine anything worth having at S in FA, so i assume it has to be a draft pick.

and really, our run defense was only good because of knighton. the linebackers were lucky enough to occasionally run into lynch and then even more lucky that he fell down, since only one of them has any clue how to wrap up.

and i agree that we just got beat up and down the field. but i was pissed yesterday at how flat everyone was. that team would've been beat by jacksonville or houston.
Slight possibility that Jarius Byrd or TJ Ward dont resign or get franchise tag (probably just wishful thinking though). Whitner may also be available.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
Surprisingly i am not that upset today. I think it is because we were beat so damn comprehensively.
I'm the other way - seeing them fold so quickly... like, right in the 1st quarter was too hard too take. They weren't ready and I think they knew it. Sure hope they enjoyed a hell of a party in NYC leading up to gametime because they weren't worth **** on the field. For that, I want to see heads roll.

Other moves:
* Say goodbye to Decker and Beadles - both are too soft and get pushed around.
* Purge the defensive backfield with hellfire and acquire some real safeties and depth at CB
* Shift the offensive scheme more strongly towards the run. Get replacements for Decker, Beadles and Tamme who are tough and physical.
* Really find out if the guys we have behind Manning are worth keeping. If not, make a move to address that issue. My gut feeling is that our time with Manning is short and we'd better be ready for that post-Peyton reality.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 AM    (permalink
ZoneMaster67
Rookie

ZoneMaster67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Osweiler and Dysert need to be ready, I hope one of them is the future replacement for Peyton.

I'm not a fan of Knowshon, but he is finally becoming the type of back you use a first round pick on. Ball is coming along, but isn't the back I was hoping he was going to be coming out of college.

Another Tight End would be helpful, maybe one that is a strong blocker. Decker is still a little underwhelming, he should be a bigger threat than he has been, especially with Welker, Julius, and Demaryius.

If they decide to keep Beadles he needs to be pushed for that starting spot. I really like him, but he does struggle. Outside of Vasquez, I think the interior spots could be upgraded. I think with Clady coming back the tackle spots are in good shape with Franklin on the right side and Clark in the swing spot.

Wolfe and Miller coming back would be a lot of help for the front seven. I like Knighton and Vickerson in the middle, but I'd like to see Williams develop into an inside presents (or they pick someone else up and Wolfe moves inside full-time).

Trevathan is coming along nicely, he's the bright spot in the backer corps and they need to build around him and Miller.

Denver still needs at least one more corner (better yet two) to go with DRC and Chris Harris. Harris is going to be coming off an ACL so he may still be questionable next season. Champ is finally considering a move to Safety, that will help a little but Denver still needs to look into other options(outside of the team) at both safety positions.
ZoneMaster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

The game was more comical to me than disappointing: safety to start the game, multiple picks (one for a TD), fumble, kickoff return TD, shutout for 3 quarters. I think the game played out worse than my worst nightmare!

Although we gave up 43 points, I'm not going to pin it on the defense. Two of the scores came from special teams and a pick-6. Two of the other TDs came from short field situations due to turnovers or 3-and-outs. Don't get me wrong. The defense got outplayed, but their mistakes pale in comparison to that of our offense. I could hardly recognize that unit last night.

As for next year, Decker and Moreno are expendable in my opinion. Decker is soft and not worth the money he will be demanding. And Knowshon was only valuable for his pass protection (I believe PFF showed that Moreno has the worst or second-worst yards after initial contact). Now that Ball will be in his 2nd year, I trust that he can step up and protect Manning adequately next season. And maybe Hillman will even hold onto the ball.

Like everyone else has already said, resigning DRC is priority #1. I prefer Chris Harris covering the slot... so we should be in the market looking for a #2 CB. Hoping that Bailey will take a pay cut and finally switch over to safety. He could actually be useful there. Getting more pass rushers to help out Von Miller next year would also be a smart move.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:37 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Seen a lot of fan talk about moving Franklin to LG and starting Clark at RT. saves us money or high draft pick.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Quote:
i don't see champ as a viable safety. he's not a big enough hitter to play in the box, and he has less range than nick ferguson ever had. he's done and he needs to realize it.
He's not a hitter, but maybe that's a good thing. He wraps up on tackles. I guess I just felt that, given Champ's vision and knowledge of the game, he could be a great center-fielder. But yeah, it's still a huge risk since he's never played the position before. I take it you'd rather rely on Rahim Moore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
the more i think about it, the more i'd be ok with selling the farm and moving up into the top 5 for clowney. or moving up into the top 15 or whatever for dix or dennard. i was all on the BPA bandwagon, so maybe i'm just massively overreacting to one of the worst games i've ever seen a broncos team play.
Interesting. I wouldn't be opposed either, but what would selling the farm look like? Does anyone know if there is a cap to the number of future 1st round picks that a team can trade?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Champ is done. If we're paying him anything next season it's too much.

I don't think the draft is really relevant at this point. Sure, we'll grab some guys and slowly bring them along for the "life after Manning" that will inevitably come. But if they are serious about making another run, then the changes that matter will need to happen through FA.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
incarcerated bob (yeah, i know) is currently reporting that manning is about to retire.
He has been right before.

Hypothetically if Manning retires, who do you want to roll with at QB next season? Brock or veteran via trade/FA?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When I read how easy it is for NFL players to pass a drug test, it just makes Von's failed tests that much more worrisome.

Dude basically didn't give a **** at all. AT ALL. It's almost like you have to go out of your way to fail a test and he did.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 PM    (permalink
ZoneMaster67
Rookie

ZoneMaster67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What do you guys think are the chances of D'Qwell Jackson signing with the Broncos?
ZoneMaster67 is offline   Reply With Quote