Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 01-17-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

bump
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i agree there. so far this year's running back class doesn't really do it for me. i've been persuaded a bit on lynch, but it just doesn't scream great to me.

then again, tatum needs to be gone. he's effective as a situational guy, but now we can't count on him to hang onto the ball in those situations. screw it.

i also am not a big fan of mike as a starter. he never wowed me. i think someone said olandis gary here, and while gary did run for 1100ish yards, is that really a great contribution to our offense? 70 yards per game just isn't really getting it done. *shrug*

seems like we're sort of screwed either way. i guess in the end, if we can't grab one of the top two and no one else is seriously impressive in the near future, i'd just as soon address a bunch of these other needs this year, then use picks asammo next year to make a big jump for a stud (like the aforementioned mcfadden and slaton).
I don't think Denver should be picking a RB in the first 2 rounds, but some sort of prospect in the 3rd or later could be a good idea. The Bell/Bell rotation is not terrible, and it will get you by. If Cutler can generate a legit air attack, it will do a lot for the running game. There are no obvious Denver-style RB's in this draft, but you should always draft at least 1 to keep the stable fresh.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i more or less agree. i really like cobbs and wish he'd gotten a chance.

meh. in any other year, i'd hope for a move up to grab AD (assuming we get another 3rd in compensatory, we'd have the ammo). but there are just so many other needs right now.

it seems odd to be despondent about a team that should really compete for the playoffs next year.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:10 AM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default I might be completely wrong but . . .

Can anyone recall a year in which we had a new starter almost every week under Shanahan that was not due to injury. The answer is never.

I am not saying what I think we need to address a RB (we need to draft O and D line and everyone know I want Lynch gone and a safety picked in first 2 rounds) I am saying what I think he will address. I am not sold on what I know about Lynch. Obviously AP will be gone but Bush could be there due to injury and I hear he will not compete at combine, at least in running drills due to recover. He will fall and be available when we draft in round 1 but not round 2. Regardles, this is all moot as something will happen with Plummer so that will open up cap space and hopefully a draft pick (also throw in compensatory pick for Darrent and can you say moving up in the second round). How about we trade Washington for Sean Taylor and give them Lynch, Plummer and a 3rd round pick? We trade with them every year so why not? Think safety Meriweather in the 3rd round for a steal and an immediate starter.

I could also see him drafting a big pounding RB in 5th/6th like:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=152310
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...yerpage/413388
or this years undrafted FA like
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=519802

My point is something will give this year at RB. There is a reason why the starting job was given to Tatum, then Cobb, then Mike, then Cobb, then Tatum, then Mike, then Tatum - then Tatum was not allowed late in second half due to fumbling problems. Oh yeah, we are not in playoffs due to the fact we could not punch the ball in 3 times on 1st and goal inside the 5 - something will give!

Why do you think Shanahan tried to pick up Thomas Jones from Chicago before the season for Lelie and money - they knew this train wreck was coming.

And for those who say Cutler's verticle game will open up the running, that is NOT how Shanahan runs his offense, it has always been to establish the run to open up the passing game - even with Elway at QB as seen before TD (with limited success), with TD, and after TD (with limited success). Having a strong armed QB allows him to hit the seam (when the LB's move up, respect the play-action or crossing routes in middle with McCaffrey) or hit the deep outs (when safetys creep up).

You are exactly right bsaza2358, just reversed on the analysis.

I might be completely wrong but . . .
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
old news dont know if it had been brought up
The Broncos have signed the following street free agents to contracts for 2007:

QB Darrell ***********
FB Troy Fleming
TE Teyo Johnson
OT Jacob Rogers
DE Carlos Hall
S Lamont Reid
P Eddie Johnson
I think *******, Fleming, Johnson, and Hall all have good shots at making the active roster.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

meh. in any other year, i'd hope for a move up to grab AD (assuming we get another 3rd in compensatory, we'd have the ammo). but there are just so many other needs right now.

it seems odd to be despondent about a team that should really compete for the playoffs next year.
You can't trade compensatory picks. And I don't think we'll be getting anything good in the compensatory department this year.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:58 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Default Re: I might be completely wrong but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M
rThink safety Meriweather in the 3rd round for a steal and an immediate starter.
I like Meriweather as a player, but as a person, he just sucks. We want to get rid of gang violence from Denver, not bring in a someone with known gang affiliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M
(also throw in compensatory pick for Darrent and can you say moving up in the second round)
ok.

A. We're not going to get any sort of compensatory pick for Darrent.

B. You cannot trade compensatory picks anyways.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan
Quote:

You can't trade compensatory picks. And I don't think we'll be getting anything good in the compensatory department this year.
no kidding. but that means we have two that would be available for trade and that we'd still have one after. and why wouldn't we? we just lost a pro bowl defensive end and a top CB without any real signings against. plus, we always seem to get something better than we should.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 AM    (permalink
rcpbawler

So what do you guys think about the Carriker/Wilson picks that Scott gave us?

I'm fairly sure most will agree that Carriker isn't the pick we need. But, I'm not going to lie, while I don't think it's a pressing need, Wilson doesn't seem that bad too me.

I really just think you have problems when David Kircus is your punt return man.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpbawler

I'm fairly sure most will agree that Carriker isn't the pick we need. But, I'm not going to lie, while I don't think it's a pressing need, Wilson doesn't seem that bad too me.

I really just think you have problems when David Kircus is your punt return man.
David Kircus is our fastest reciever. I would prefer a speedy guy back there anyways. I think the soultion is to draft a DT. I dont agree with the Carriker pick because frankly, I am not impressed with him and I don't like him, and I think that we have more pressing needs at Offensive Tackle and Defensive Tackle. We need a really good DT, and a good LT to back up Lepsis. I would kill for Joe Thomas. Think about it, 75% of first round picks turn out to be above average players, we need an above average player at DT right now more than we do at DE.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
rcpbawler

Quote:
Quote:

David Kircus is our fastest reciever. I would prefer a speedy guy back there anyways. I think the soultion is to draft a DT. I dont agree with the Carriker pick because frankly, I am not impressed with him and I don't like him, and I think that we have more pressing needs at Offensive Tackle and Defensive Tackle. We need a really good DT, and a good LT to back up Lepsis. I would kill for Joe Thomas. Think about it, 75% of first round picks turn out to be above average players, we need an above average player at DT right now more than we do at DE.

Yeah... I would scream at my television if Carriker were to be our pick. 300 pound DE? Did we convert to 3-4 or something? :?

I agree that Thomas is a beast... but that would cost quite a bit to trade up for. And if we were trading that far up, I would absolutely love Alan Branch.

But all of that's a reach, at best.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah... I would scream at my television if Carriker were to be our pick. 300 pound DE? Did we convert to 3-4 or something? :?

I agree that Thomas is a beast... but that would cost quite a bit to trade up for. And if we were trading that far up, I would absolutely love Alan Branch.

too bad this isnt madden...
i could like... turn the trade deadline thing off and week 17 trade up to #1 for free.
Which is funny, because i was just playing madden and it was funny. Any thing can happen. I ended Shawne Merrimans career. Haha Cutler Threw a cut block. Haha, i find sadistic irony in that. Laugh with me. Anyways, yeah, complete ACL tear. like i said...

too bad madden cant be real life.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

too bad this isnt madden...

Which is funny, because i was just playing and it was funny. Any thing can happen. I ended Shawne Merrimans career. Haha Cutler Threw a cut block. Haha, i find sadistic irony in that. Laugh with me. Anyways, yeah, complete ACL tear. like i said...

too bad madden cant be real life.
QFT.

I lead the league in sacks and had a defense where the lowest starter was 89 on Madden.

Plus I drafted Calvin Johnson AND AD. Not to mention Crosby, who makes 57 yarders easy in practice non-wind aided.

Edit: Oh, and I traded Plummer for a first, second and third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i'm interested to see whether coyer can get the bucs pass rush working with a similar talent level.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
i'm interested to see whether coyer can get the bucs pass rush working with a similar talent level.
thats a good point. i was never a huge coyer fan. but still a huge kubes fan
. i still think he is the reason that we didnt have a great running game this year
Old 01-20-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Hey guys....

Could you give me a rough estimate of Bailey's contract....not because I think he can get traded, but because I want to see if I can get an idea of what it will take to bring in Asante Samuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As an SC fan I sure wish we would've pursued Steve Sarkisian to be our QB coach. He would have fit perfectly into our scheme.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
Hey guys....

Could you give me a rough estimate of Bailey's contract....not because I think he can get traded, but because I want to see if I can get an idea of what it will take to bring in Asante Samuel.
he signed a 7 year deal worth 63 million. Not sure how much is left.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

Champ Bailey 2006 salary $13,507,625
Old 01-20-2007, 11:08 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

I was actully looking at us taking Quentin Moses over Carriker anyway - just has more potential to succeed, or bust, which is the joy/problem.

I would prefer to take Michael Bush in the second round but I think he will be gone early 2nd round or even late first- how about Brandon Meriweather falling to the 2nd round to us due to Character concerns? I doubt he will fall that far as some have projected him in the third round, but one never knows, and could see him going ahead of both Michael Griffin and Eric Weddle (behind LaRon Landry and right around Reggie Nelson - both in the late teens/early 20's).

I still think Marcus Thomas (DT) is a steal for some team next year in 3rd or 4th round, along with Kyle Young the Center from Fresno St.

I would request now that we arrange to have UFA Romance Taylor RB Texas come into camp and be our starting PR/KR player. I do not know if he will be invited to the combine, but I belive he is eligible and I have no idea what he is doing but this kid had talent - just another immature kid unfortunately.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

yeah i would kill for ramonce taylor. but idk, quincy morgan was a beast on kick returns, mind you he had only 17, and took over like week 14, but he averaged 25.4 a return. That N.C. State kid just blew.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yeah i would kill for ramonce taylor. but idk, quincy morgan was a beast on kick returns, mind you he had only 17, and took over like week 14, but he averaged 25.4 a return. That N.C. State kid just blew.
Well, since Ramonce would be a UDFA/Late round pick, it wouldn't cost anything to have him and Morgan fight it out.

I also really like the idea of Marcus Thomas, hopefully he falls to our third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:
Well, since Ramonce would be a UDFA/Late round pick, it wouldn't cost anything to have him and Morgan fight it out.

I also really like the idea of Marcus Thomas, hopefully he falls to our third.
shanahan is as strict as more than most people about character issues.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

he's what?

i don't see shanny taking a flyer on a guy with major character flaws (these are clearly not just issues) after clarett. he's already bombed in free agency with dale carter and daryl gardner.

i suspect that if, say, meriweather were there in the late 7th, shanny might think the risk was so minimal as to be worth it. i highly doubt he does something like taking him in the 2nd. in fact, it wouldn't surprise me to not see us draft a safety at all, especially if cornerback talent in the 3rdish is decent and shanny think foxworth can be left at S.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
he's what?

i don't see shanny taking a flyer on a guy with major character flaws (these are clearly not just issues) after clarett. he's already bombed in free agency with dale carter and daryl gardner.
i guess your right, i mean i hadn't really thought about it, i am so used to hearing people say "we won't take a chance, shanahan doesnt like character issues." But when you get to the grand scheme of things, Gardner, Clarett and Dale Carter arent exactly pretty boys