Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-05-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
rcpbawler

I am very content with the moves we've made this off-season. If Kearney comes at a decent price, and we draft OL and maybe second tier safety, we're set.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:14 AM    (permalink
3projectPAT6
Rookie

3projectPAT6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mayock had described Branch as Boom or Bust just one too many times for me. That is the very last thing we need, another under achieving D-lineman. I would like to trade our picks to get better position in next years draft. I dont think we are gonna find anything worthwhile at 21, and i dont think its gonna be worth it to trade up into the top 10-15 range. Save picks, try to get into position to get one of the stud RB's next year and have a cutler, marshal, sheftler, and RB X combo that will give us a tremendous chance to win championships for the next 7 years.

Sig byDLS42
3projectPAT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 AM    (permalink
rcpbawler

Yikes. Pretty happy we didn't sign Kearney with that kind of pay day.

I believe Branch is exactly what we need. I like Okoye as well, but I don't think he will contribute immediately like Branch will.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hope if not first day, we get a guy like Dan Bauzin or Mkristo Bruce on the 2nd day of the draft. I am high on getting Okoye, the guy has great work ethic (unlike some of our current d-lineman) and he's balanced as a pass rusher and run stopper and hopefully available at 21.(which I highly doubt)
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
broncofan4lyfe
Rookie

broncofan4lyfe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

personally it felt to me that what we lacked most was a pass rushing player period. that seems to me the main reason why we had a tough time on defense last year. every qb we played against we constantly gave him too much time to throw. so i think that we should look at a defensive end before we look at a tackle. especially since we just traded for one in dan wilkinson(don't know much about him)...just my opinion but our d-line did a fair job at collapsing a pocket...
broncofan4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think our problem is really DE, but DT not getting pressure up the middle. Remember how many times our DE's would "get" to the QB, but he would just step up in the pocket and throw? Zero DT pressure, thats our biggest need. Certainly adding a stud DE would help out, but we also need someone who can help get a push up the middle from the DT spot.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

NJX which is why Okoye would be a great pick, at this point he's raw and needs to get stronger for NFL Guards and centers but he's very quick and agile with a great first step unlike Branch(who is sliding down boards).

Also if we move to 6 like the rumor for Dre Bly intends, would you rather have Adams or Branch?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Okoye at 6. Huge potential upside, and he's the disruptor / penetrator we lack right now. Big Daddy can throw his weight around on obvious running downs to give the kid some relief from the constant battering by mammoth OG's.

Branch is a close second. Bigger, tougher but not quite as explosive.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
and i dig our rotation if we add one. with warren and wilkinson (and veal occasionally) we can keep guys fresher, which would be huge with a guy like okoye.

Well with Warren and Wilkinson we need depth, their not the most conditioned players. Okoye at this point may be that guy who could come in when either Dan or Warren need some air and also on 3rd downs with Dumervil.

NJX how do you feel about Sabby Pisscettelli(sp?)?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I think about it, if we trade up to 6, I'd rather take Landry or Adams, maybe Anderson. I'm not impressed with Branch or Okoye really, and neither will contribute much their rookie year anyways. I think we could do well picking up a DT in rounds 2 and 3.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
The more I think about it, if we trade up to 6, I'd rather take Landry or Adams, maybe Anderson. I'm not impressed with Branch or Okoye really, and neither will contribute much their rookie year anyways. I think we could do well picking up a DT in rounds 2 and 3.

The real question is if AD falls to 6, do we HAVE to take him?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777 View Post
The real question is if AD falls to 6, do we HAVE to take him?
Interesting... I think it would be awfully hard for Shanny to resist. A potential franchise back doesn't come along every day... and the way the team is improving right now, we're going to be picking in the lower half of the draft order for the forseeable future.

However, in terms of value, I still think you could go defense.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:55 AM    (permalink
A4Qxxx

If we trade up and can get Carriker or Adams, take them and look at McBean or Marcus Thomas in the 2nd.

If we can't get one of those stud DE's but have still traded up, we should almost certainly get Okoye.

However, I will be very happy if we stay where we are and take Demarcus Tyler. (See other stud DT with Tank as nickname... 2nd rounder for the Bears, despite his legal issues, a stud of a player! And Demarcus will be as well)

Actually, if I am playing GM, I am trading the whiney Bly right now for a high second. Packaging my first and a few third round picks and moving up to get Carriker in the first. Taking my high second I get for Bly and getting Demarcus Tyler. Two stud defensive lineman who get instant pressure on the QB is more valuable then ANY CB. And while Bly is better then Foxworth... Bly is not better in covering for 4 seconds then Foxworth is in covering for 3 seconds!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
If you don't want one of the top tier DTs or a RBs, then there's very little reason to pay the price to trade up to 6. If you want a pass rush DE or safety, I suspect there will be a solid prospect available at 21.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Qxxx View Post
However, I will be very happy if we stay where we are and take Demarcus Tyler. (See other stud DT with Tank as nickname... 2nd rounder for the Bears, despite his legal issues, a stud of a player! And Demarcus will be as well)
Hell, we could probably trade down and still get Tank Tyler at the end of the first / top of the second. Perhaps a swap with Detroit or Cleveland to give them multiple first rounders.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
A4Qxxx

I would be a fan of trading up for Okoye at DT.
But if we trade up and get Adams or Carriker, terrific! They are far better then any DE's we will land at 21.

I don't know how it can be done yet... (trading Bly to get one of those DE's and one of the top two DT's)

But this is my wish list, one of each:
DE-
Adams
Carriker

DT-
Okoye
Tank Tyler
Ryan McBean
Marcus Thomas

I do not believe any other DE on the board will be able to play from day one. (Well Anderson will, but not a big fan). But I do believe any of those four DT's will out perform Wilkinson and Veal to start immediately. Therefore, trade up for a DE, and get one of those 4 - DT later.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is why our Front Office Pisses me off. We go out and spend 30 Million on a Tight end who wont catch more than 40-50 passes. And thats asking a lot compared to his previous numbers. Basicly we spent the money on a blocking TE. Might as well spend 5 Million on a Long Snapper. And why would we do this? Scheffler might loose his starting job, and if he does, there goes a TE that could have been and was on his way to being great. And If scheffler wins, well... ****.. We're paying our Backup Tight-end 6 Million dollars a year. This might be one of the dumbest moves from a financial standpoint. I would have rather seen us blow the money on kerney and give him 8 million a year over 4 years or something. We needed to adress WR, OL, and DL, and we get some washed up 34 year old DT and Montrae Dutchland.

Things could be worse. We got Travis Henry and we're not Oakland.
Still

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-07-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
A4Qxxx

NJX, you sound angry.

I never said Okoye and Branch won't beat out Veal and Wilkinson... they would, but so will any DT taken in the second or third round!

However, Lang and Ekuban are garbage. I never recall them putting a OT on his @$$ or speed rushing around the edge and getting to the QB before he can get to his third step. Maybe half of those lofty sack totals (1 every other game) is a coverage sack? Where Champ and Darrent had things locked down and it allowed Lang or Ekuban the 5 seconds they needed to tire an OT out with their patty cake games.
They are garbage!

And after the top three DE's most are garbage as well. That is why I say you take an Blue Chip DE early and not DT.

Drafting an "A" - DE in the first and a "B" - DT in the second makes a hell of a lot more sense to me then an "A"- DT in the first and a "C" - DE in the second.

Carriker and Tyler doesn't sound better then Okoye and Spencer?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

double post...

Last edited by Diehard : 03-07-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

If we keep our picks, there's no way in hell Tyler's going to be around for us to pick in the second round... he's out of the picture unless we take him at 21.

I agree with njx9, interior pass rush is the missing piece of the puzzle. Mind you, Carriker could provide that as he's big/strong enough to the DT spot on passing downs.

If I was Shanny, I'd go DT (or in Carriker's case, DT/DE) with my first two picks... a pair of young bulls to anchor the line for the next decade. Also lets the team dump Veal & Burton, which can only be a good thing.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know if this has been reported yet or not but:

QB Patrick Ramsey signed with the Broncos.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791258

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 AM    (permalink
A4Qxxx

Well then that's just it, we disagree with our biggest need is.

I will give Warren the benefit of the doubt that last year was really because of his toes and he can perform again this year like 2005. I believe we can find a very serviceable DT to pair with him in the second round and be solid at DT.

Where you think our huge group of DE's are serviceable, and I think they are garbage!

Clearly our DL is the biggest need all together, but I feel with Warren in the middle DT is a D- and DE's are an F.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
mattrob
Rookie

mattrob hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
yeah, demetrin veal is a much better option than kenard lang. michael myers was far better at pressuring the quarterback than elvis dumervil. i don't get the logic at all and you haven't said anything other than "it's my opinion" to back that up. that's fine if that's all it is, but i believe i originally wanted to know WHY people think our DEs need so much more work.
I can't speak for A4Qxxx, but to me it just comes down to the talent available. I don't like Branch at all as a prospect. He's big, but i just didn't see anything that impressed me when I watched him, though I'll admit that wasn't often. Okoye would be fine, but I'm not sure he really fits what Denver's trying to do under Bates. Anderson and Adams both seem to be potential difference-makers at DE and we could still get someone like Tank Tyler (who I think will be as effective a pro as Branch) or Marcus Thomas later in the draft.
mattrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i heard the broncos are looking at antonio bryant... thoughts?

the way i see it, as long as he doesnt make any more than 2.5 a year, its cool
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

mind you from a very unreliable source