Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

One safety that I wish we would look at (doubt we take a safety in the first round) is David Bruton.

Get a FA safety and a decent prospect such as David and I'd be content for that position.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can anyone here tell me anything about Larry Coyer? From what I read about him, his tenure as Broncos DC was pretty positive. Did he get fired or move on to the position he was in? If he was fired, why? I ask because he's likely to be the Colts new DC. Link

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Can anyone here tell me anything about Larry Coyer? From what I read about him, his tenure as Broncos DC was pretty positive. Did he get fired or move on to the position he was in? If he was fired, why? I ask because he's likely to be the Colts new DC. Link
Larry Coyer was fired at the end of the 2006 season. Coyer was one of two fall guys (Jake Plummer was the other) for a season gone sour. Like many others, that season started well with his defensive unit setting records (no TD for the first 11 quarters, IIRC) then everything came crashing down and the second half of the season was punctuated with ugly losses. Interestingly, it was also the start of the crisis at safety (due to injuries) that still remains unresolved.

Coyer had made it known that some tough (personnel) changes needed to be made to fix the problems that had emerged in the second half of the season... but apparently Shanahan didn't like what he heard. Coyer was clearly shaken by his dismissal from the organization that had become like family to him.

Unfortunately, the worst parts of Coyer's 2006 scheme (bend-but-don't break, no blitzing) lived on for another two years without addressing any of the problems. Thanks, Shanahan... you ******* asshole.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i intensely hated coyer that season until it apparently came out (though i can't find the story now) that shanahan didn't want to blitz anymore and wanted to get pressure while rushing only 4 players.
Yes, Coyer's preference was to mix in a fair amount of blitzing, like we did in 2005. 2006 represented the "Shanahan defense" we've all learned to hate, however, Coyer made it work for half a season and I believe if he was given a chance, he could've made the adjustments needed to build a reliable D.

Quote:
we also began inexplicably playing lynch in deep pass coverage instead of near the LOS.
Ferguson got hurt and was never the same player again - Sam Brandon got hurt and never returned to football. Our safety corps was shredded at a time when Shanahan was deathly afraid of getting beaten by the medium-long pass. Hence Lynch playing centerfield. Stupidity.

Last edited by Diehard : 01-22-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'm liking raji more and more.
I am happy that you are liking him more and more. I have seen him play at BC several times and I think he would be a great fit for Denver. Imagine a decent DT prospect that might actually do something in Denver.

Crazy thought. :)
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM    (permalink
IPICKEDYOUOFF
Rookie

IPICKEDYOUOFF hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Raji in the first...After senior bowl practices im lovin this guy more than I did pre January....

As for those wondering about running back for Denver, i suggest you put a little research into a fella named Shonn Greene out of IOWA, simple youtube search will do, this kid could be denvers next 1000 yrd rusher EASY

3rd round, we need to fill the need for a immediate starter at LB, barring DJs willingness to move back to ILB, i say if avaiable we go after Marcus Freeman OLB Ohio State, he has also been having a good week at Senior Bowl pratices. This one however may be a reach....HIS STOCK IS GOING NOTHING BUT ^^^^^

2009 DRAFT WISHLIST

RD#1 BJ RAJI DT Boston College or Rey Maualuga MLB USC

RD#2 Shonn Greene RB Iowa or Ron Brace DT Boston College

RD#3 Marcus Freeman OLB Ohio State or Javon Ringer RB Michigan State
IPICKEDYOUOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 AM    (permalink
shady00
Rookie

shady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPICKEDYOUOFF View Post
As for those wondering about running back for Denver, i suggest you put a little research into a fella named Shonn Greene out of IOWA, simple youtube search will do, this kid could be denvers next 1000 yrd rusher EASY
You don't want another RB on IR, do you?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM    (permalink
IPICKEDYOUOFF
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady00 View Post
You don't want another RB on IR, do you?
and instanly you are quick to bring up injury(like everyone)....
fathum on this please..

We need another back, no doubt...
Backs get hurt, no doubt...
RBs have the shortest carreers due to the workload they indure, no doubt

majority of RBs in the top tear of the draft have had prevouis injuries, is this the reason for your inquery

im not saying this man needs to step in and be a 3-down back instantly ethier

please explain yourself...

2009 DRAFT WISHLIST

Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
IPICKEDYOUOFF
Rookie

Quote:
i think he's saying he doesn't want a guy with an injury history.

i think taking another RB just because we had a lot of injuries last year is stupid and i think passing on a talented guy because he's had a few injuries is stupid if you're applying the "ZOMG IR" argument.
So your saying we dont need anymore backs
(What we have, no perticular order)
Peyton Hillis- My personal fav. However i think we'd benifit more from him taking carriers and catching balls from the FB position. Also would like to see him playing TE in some packages. Also a great short yardage halfback.

Selvin Young-If your talking injuries your talking young. Simple. He had a good college carreer but because of Injury became a UDFA. I like this kid but as for many of our backs is not a Starting 3 down NFL RB, IMO. I like him as a relif back....

Ryan Torain-A lotta hype around this cat, yet to prove anything to me. 12 Carries 68 Yrds and a goalline TD...5.6YPC not bad though...Id like to hold on to him see how it goes...

Tatum Bell-My brother is buried in a Tatum Jersey, i cant dislike this guy. Showed some heart and promise at the end of the 08 season...Like to see him back as a backup 3rd or 4th string.

Cory Boyd- CUT/PS
Alex Haynes-CUT/PS

Anthony Alrigde-I like him in the return game but havent seen anything outta the back field, he was put on the IR at the end of preseason never got to see him in a NFL GAME...I'll give this one to the staff to decide

Andre Hall-CUT

Michael Pittmen-Aging but runs hard downhill, nice 3rd down back....

PJ POPE-CUT/PS

I dont see how it can be argued that we arnt missing a featured Back....
Theres only 3 on the list that even come close.....
Young, a fan fav didnt look anything last year like he did the year before
Pittmen, is a once again ageing and isnt a everydown back period
TORAIN?, thats all he is right now a ? and thats only because Shanny created the hype...

WE NEED A FEATURED BACK, be in Knowson or Wells in the first(not saying im for this)or McCoy, Brown, Greene in the second...

RB1-DRAFT
RB2-Young
RB3-Torain/Bell
ShortYardage/Goaline/3rd Down RB-Pittmen
FB-Hillis
KR-Alridge

Whats wrong with that^^^?

Oh yea we still have a Combine to go......

I agree......

I may have misunderstood what you said, but this is what im thinking?
ZOMG IR????Explain

2009 DRAFT WISHLIST

Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

RB is on the bottom end of needs IMO.

If a spectacular value should come up fine, but this team won't go anywhere until that defense is improved.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
IPICKEDYOUOFF
Rookie

Quote:
no, that's not at all what i said. i said that thinking we have to take a back to fix last year's IR issues is stupid. if a good back for whatever our system will be is available at a pick and represents the best player we can take at that pick, we should take him. we SHOULDN'T take a back in the draft just because we had injuries last year. which appears to be the latest knee jerk reaction (the "ZOMG IR" reaction).
I agree...i dont want a running back due to the injuries...
I want a running back because I FEEL it is a pressing need even before 7 RBS went down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
RB is on the bottom end of needs IMO.

If a spectacular value should come up fine, but this team won't go anywhere until that defense is improved.
I also understand this, we do have other needs, bigger needs LBing, D-line, secondary yes, our D-fense blows...

But you can find good defensive players later in the draft, day two....
Running Backs, or "everydown backs" are very hard to come by day two, but it has been done(TD)

Try in look at the offseason all togather not just draft day(s)

Free Agency
LBing and partial D-line as well as secondary work can be done here
ie. canty, suggs, james, jones

Correct me if im wrong but what FA RBs are hitting the market this offseason...??

Mind you trades, cuts, and many other things will happen from now til the Draft and OTAS

So brings me to my simple solution as of now..

If possible
RD1Raji NT
RD2Greene RB
RD3Freemen OLB
Later rounds and FA(Wish i could elaborate more(BUSY))the other needs......
DL, Saftey, Corner

Even though RB is not our most pressing need i see it as needing to be done via draft day 1....

2009 DRAFT WISHLIST

Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Greene is a fine runner, but doesn't do much in the passing game (either as a blocker or receiver). I don't see that going over well in the Broncos' war room.

Someone who is a factor in the passing game could be a huge asset - the more weapons we can surround Cutler with the better.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope you guys like Cover 3/1. Because thats pretty much what Nolan runs all the time (at least during his time as Bmore's DC).
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
it can't be worse than the cover 2 with nick ferguson and john lynch failing to be the 2.
at this point, you can pretty much overhaul the entire defense and not really care about who fits where.

wow...just thinking about Cover 2 with those 2 guys sends chills down my body.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
it was absolutely horrible. i mean, it wasn't all the time at least. but nick ferguson is a lot of why people thought champ was overrated a few years ago. the guy had no idea what the heck he was doing.

the thing i'm most worried about with nolan is that he has never (afaik) *improved* a defense when he's been DC. almost every team he's coached had a *precipitous* drop the following season, and didn't really improve the following year. i mean, we can't get much worse. but that's not a good track record. i asked earlier, but i'm shocked anyone keeps hiring this guy.
i actually feel the same way about him. not his biggest fan.

at this point i guess all you can do is hope for better drafting, and just take it from there. i felt that with that high octane offense, a cheap quick fix Cover 2 defense would be the best and most efficient way to compliment that offense long term.

but what's done is done.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're welcome.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

it'll be great when, someday, you actually talk about something without tying it back to tech or atlanta.
Why would I do that?

Eddie Royal is a beast.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just so you guys know, when the Vikings move you guys are officially my favorite team.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Just so you guys know, when the Vikings move you guys are officially my favorite team.
My brother-in-law used to have season tickets for the Vikes (he lived in St. Louis Park), so I've done my share of cheering for the purple guys. It would be a real shame if they moved.

Anyway, we'll save you a spot. Plenty of empty seats around here anyway - having no defense isn't a particularly good way to enhance your fan base...
Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Broncos are expected to sign Andre Goodman, they are finalizing the contract now, with this

31 year old CB Goodman
31 year old CB Bailey
31 year old FS Hill
36 year old SS Dawkins

I can see Secondary being drafted soon.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

njx9's bedroom door
Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
eww. engelberger.

how does he have his own room anywhere?
he doesn't even deserve one at his parent's house.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
Broncos are expected to sign Andre Goodman, they are finalizing the contract now, with this

31 year old CB Goodman
31 year old CB Bailey
31 year old FS Hill
36 year old SS Dawkins

I can see Secondary being drafted soon.
Given McDaniels' background, over the long haul I can see him using FA as the primary source for CB's, while our top draft picks are used to bolster the front line and guts of the defense.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Given McDaniels' background, over the long haul I can see him using FA as the primary source for CB's, while our top draft picks are used to bolster the front line and guts of the defense.
I have zero problem with that. I'm tired of using draft picks every year on CB while the front seven is neglected.