Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Broncos have reportedly agreed to a two-year, $2.5 million contract with free agent LaMont Jordan.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
The Broncos have reportedly agreed to a two-year, $2.5 million contract with free agent LaMont Jordan.
Not surprising. Basically a replacement for Pittman, but a little younger and familiar with McDaniels' system.

The backfield is getting pretty full - unless they dump someone, I don't see RB being a priority in the draft.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Not surprising. Basically a replacement for Pittman, but a little younger and familiar with McDaniels' system.

The backfield is getting pretty full - unless they dump someone, I don't see RB being a priority in the draft.
Hillis
Torain
Buckhalter
Young
Jordan

I think Young is on the bubble of that group.

Hopefully everybody will stop the insanity of us picking a RB in the first two rounds.

IMO the talent of the team is upgraded over last year. We are still weak at LB and D-line but despite the Cutler and Marshall debacles this has been a good FA period.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's a pretty decent backfield. No superstars, but enough to get attention off of Cutler, Marshall and Royal. I think this has been a great FA period, drama aside. If by some magic we have another good draft (this one with a defensive focus), I see this defense jumping at least 10 spots. Granted that still puts them as at middle of the pack, but it is a good start.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Free agent DL Kenny Peterson "has decided to remain with the Broncos," according to the Sacramento Bee.
The 49ers had given Peterson a look, but it appears he's set to be re-signed. Peterson played for the sixth-year veteran's minimum last season.

I think he'll compete for a DE spot.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So how much does Geoge Foster suck? He came in for a visit with the Bengals today and I figured you all would know how rough he is.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
So how much does Geoge Foster suck? He came in for a visit with the Bengals today and I figured you all would know how rough he is.
He was called the Revolving Door when he was playing for the Broncos. The guy is terrible, I have no idea how he is still in the league.
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL... Thanks, that's exactly what I unfortunately needed to hear.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read that the Broncos were trying to trade Tony Scheffler.
What do you think they'd be expecting in return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
I read that the Broncos were trying to trade Tony Scheffler. What do you think they'd be expecting in return?
A 4th would be reasonable. He's a great pass catcher, mediocre run blocker and poor at pass protect (which didn't matter that much in Denver as he was always in a receiving pattern on any obvious passing down).

The real knock is that he can't stay healthy - count on him missing 2-3 games minimum.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How Will Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil do in the new system.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger View Post
How Will Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil do in the new system.
I think the jury is definitely out on that one. My feeling is that they are very much competing against each other for the weakside OLB spot.

IIRC, Dumervil tested like crap as a LB when he entered the draft, so he's going to be really challenged to be anything other that an passrusher. However, at least he's flashed some ability at the pro level.

Moss I think has better potential in a 3-4, in fact his best draft position was probably OLB, but so far he hasn't shown a lot on the field. Part of that was the inability to pack on enough weight to be a credible starting DE.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
OTcoach
Rookie

OTcoach hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What's up with D. Robertson? I didn't see many of your games this year but he was a solid NT in New York in their 3-4. He couldn't have been that bad in Denver this past season. Was he??
OTcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTcoach View Post
What's up with D. Robertson? I didn't see many of your games this year but he was a solid NT in New York in their 3-4. He couldn't have been that bad in Denver this past season. Was he??

He got cut by Denver..
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
he wasn't a solid NT in the 3-4, which is why the jets got rid of him, initially. when we went to the 3-4, we did the same thing.
Not only that, he was due some ridiculous amount of bonus money if he returned to Denver this year.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
OTcoach
Rookie

OTcoach hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
he wasn't a solid NT in the 3-4, which is why the jets got rid of him, initially. when we went to the 3-4, we did the same thing.
He was solid his first year with Mangini's 3-4 as the nose. His biggest problem was his size (or lack there of). I just didn't think he was that bad of a player especially if he was teamed in a decent 4-3 front. I guess Thomas is a small DT as well though. Just surprised he's still a FA is he's still got skills.
OTcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Apparently the team is bringing in Beanie Wells for another workout:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

My guess is that they aren't certain he's a guy they like at 12, but he's close enough to warrant a second look. If it is a smokescreen, it's one they're putting a lot of effort into considering the number of other backs that have come in for workouts.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Our head moderator, the eternal optimist. ;)

I'm not wild about Wells as a prospect either... but the team is in a tough spot at 12 when so many picking ahead of us are also looking for DL / pass rush help.

I think they are also considering the possibility of someone wanting to trade ahead of Washington to grab one of the big OT's should one slide on draft day. We obviously won't take an OT and the Redskins definitely will, which creates a good opportunity.

Last edited by Diehard : 03-31-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default Visits / workouts

A pretty extensive list of players we've shown some interest in:

http://draftguys.com/index.php/artic...ill_-_april_3/

Here's the list I've been working from (cannibalized from various postings on BroncosForums and the Orange Mane):

QB
Pat White (West Virginia)
Curtis Painter (Purdue)

RB
Chris Wells (Ohio State)
Knowshon Moreno (Georgia)
Donald Brown (Connecticut)
LeSean McCoy (Pittsburgh)
Rashad Jennings (Liberty)
Javon Ringer (Michigan State)

WR
Mike Thomas (Arizona)
Quan Cosby (Texas)

TE
Richard Quinn (North Carolina)

OC
Eric Wood (Louisville)
Antoine Caldwell (Alabama)

OG
Andy LeVitre (Oregon State)

NT
BJ Raji (Boston College)
Ron Brace (Boston College)
Roy Miller (Texas)
Terrance Knighton (Temple)

DE/OLB
Brian Orakpo (Texas)
Robert Ayers (Tennessee)
Brian Cushing (USC)
Larry English (Northern Illinois)
Connor Barwin (Cincinnati)
Cody Brown (Connecticut)
Paul Kruger (Utah)
Victor Butler (Oregon State)
Julius Williams (Connecticut)
David Veikune (Hawaii)

ILB
James Laurinaitis (Ohio State)

CB
Malcom Jenkins (Ohio State)
Darius Butler (Connecticut)
Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest)
Kevin Barnes (Maryland)

S
Louis Delmas (Western Michigan)
Rashad Johnson (Alabama)
Patrick Chung (Oregon)
Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest)

Any others?

Last edited by Diehard : 04-07-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fixed url
Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll: @ njx.

Knowson to Denver pelase:D
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a bad feeling about draft day...I hate being angry on draft day. Especially after I was so happy last draft. But so angry the draft before that. It's a horrible pattern.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Cutler scapegoated?

I think Cutler is being scapegoated by certainly McDaniel & maybe Pat Bowlen in his scathing letter last wk. Bowlen had a reputation as a hands-off owner but lately has become too hands-on with his team, & it shows.

He didn't have any anti-Broncos sentiments until McDaniel (who looks like he's maybe 18 yrs old) tried to pull his weird 3-way trade to acquire Cassel.... yeah right, like KC was going to give him up after all they went through to get him. And 3-way trades have along history of going kerflooey before they are done deals, too many volatile team agendas to make them happen.

I think Cutler is smart enough to know he's getting the shaft there, he was obviously being dissed by McDaniel. It was so risky -- I still don't know wtf McDaniel was thinking. Yeah Chicago way, way overpaid for Cutler, but what kind of msg. did it send to the other young players in the Denver locker room? It looks like a new HC in his 1st HC job was trying to make a big splash without a lot of concern for the risk-rewards there, & maybe they realize now their new HC is too reckless

Last edited by LizardState : 04-07-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: clarification
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
I think Cutler is being scapegoated by certainly McDaniel & maybe Pat Bowlen in his scathing letter last wk.
How can he be "scapegoated" when he's wanted to leave ever since Shanahan and Bates got canned? You can't ask for a trade multiple times, then pretend you're surprised when it happens.

Quote:
He didn't have any anti-Broncos sentiments until McDaniel (who looks like he's maybe 18 yrs old) tried to pull his weird 3-way trade to acquire Cassel.... yeah right, like KC was going to give him up after all they went through to get him.
WTF are you talking about? The proposed 3-way had nothing to do with KC.

Quote:
I think Cutler is smart enough to know he's getting the shaft there, he was obviously being dissed by McDaniel.
He wasn't being dissed. Everyone was so quick to jump on McD, then as the details came out opinion turned against Cutler. The fact that the team was trying to work things out and Cutler didn't have any interest in being part of it speaks volumes.

Cutler wanted this and he got it. We got a journeyman QB and draft picks. We'll see how it all works out.

Last edited by Diehard : 04-07-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
WTF are you talking about? The proposed 3-way had nothing to do with KC.
The way I perceived it was absolutely nothing heard from Cutler until trade talks surfaced, which I 1st heard on ESPN who may have well been very late, as usual, reporting the story.

I also heard the 3-way trade was McD trying to finagle Cassel, didn't make sense at all but no one had the straight scoop on it except PFW & I read that late too.

And I think Bowlen got his info on Cutler filtered thru McD, who seemed biased in this b/c he was. I'm not a Broncos fan by any stretch, I'm sure many others have a better handle on the story than I did, but to even the most casual observer in the absence of timely info it looked like a new HC was trying to make a big splash as the only motivation for morphing thier best player into trade bait.

BTW I think the Chicago Bears & Jerry Angelo way, way overpaid for Cutler. On paper it looks like the biggest fleecing of a superstar in a trade since the Vikes gave up 16 players & picks for Herschel Walker about 17 yrs ago. Like you say we'll have to see how it turns out, Denver could still dick this up by failing to get the appropriate defensive players they desperately need -- that defense hasn't been able to stop the run since Al Wilson left. And their multi-million $ secondary with Champ Bailey & Bly to stop the Patriots, Bolts, whoever;s air attacks, how did that work out for them?

Point is they need about 4-6 new defensive studs or it's another long season there, they have a long way just to get back to mediocrity. I watched them get pummeled by the Raiders & other inferior teams last yr & wondered how Shanahan held onto his job, turned out he didn't.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 AM    (permalink
BuffaloBillsFan
Rookie

BuffaloBillsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Broncos could end up getting the better end of the deal. Fill the holes on defense & upgrade your run game. You guys already have some of the best targets in the league, all you really need is a good game manager and you'll be okay, imo.

1.) Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
1.) Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC
2.) Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
3.) Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa
3.) Lawrence Sidbury, DE/OLB, Richmond
4.) David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame

Scary, scary, defense.

Last edited by BuffaloBillsFan : 04-12-2009 at 12:40 AM.
BuffaloBillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote