Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm also entertained by the idea of us running "screen passes that work". i don't think mcdaniels has any of those in his playbook.
So much irony there. Our o-line seems to be just fine blocking in this complicated offense, yet when their assignments are to simply "not block" on a screen, they struggle in executing.

Maybe we should just sign Kwame Harris.

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-03-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i don't think we have a qb who can throw to downfield receivers, which is why i really don't want bryant. marshall fills a perfect niche in our current offense, in that he can make plays underneath, which about the only place orton can get the ball consistently. why is why it's still so shocking to me that royal couldn't find a place on the field. regardless, i don't see bryant as a similar player, and i don't think there's any way that orton can get him the ball consistently.

i'm also entertained by the idea of us running "screen passes that work". i don't think mcdaniels has any of those in his playbook.
When throwing passes underneath, the receiver has to beat press coverage. Royal couldnt last year. Hopefully he figures it out this season.

There are not many receivers who can do what Marshall can. Bryant is not the beast Marshall is, but he has good size, good hands and is good at coming back to the QB. He wouldnt be terrible in our offense.

I can remember a few screen passes that did work, but more because they went to Dan Graham or Marshall and they just ran over DBs.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless Bryant *really* convinces the team that he won't be a disruption, I seriously doubt the team will consider him even if BMarsh does move on. The team just went through the headaches of dealing with a diva receiver, you see what happened with Crabtree last draft (who I believe has the same agent as Bryant)... I just don't see the Broncos ignoring their entire draft philosophy in a panic move to address WR in round 1.

Anyway, I think the tender levels make a certain amount of sense. The 1st round tender on Marshall may very well be aimed at using the market to establish his contract $ value (whereas the 1st & 3rd tender would just be too big a hit for many other teams to stomach). See what kind of offers come in, and if the dollars are reasonable just choose to match.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
honestly curious (not just being a sarcastic prick for once), what do you think our draft philosophy actually is?
Here's Mr X's explaination:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...year=& month=

Summary of Broncos prospect: smart, tough, versatile, good team player

It will be interesting to see how this plays out on draft day.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously though... How are we going to compensate for Marshall? McDaniels clearly isn't a Royal fan, and unless we use a 1st/2nd on a WR, we have nobody that McDaniels feels is right at #1/2
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...690 09&spln=1

I don't know how credible this Charles Robinson is but I sure don't want this Marshall drama stretched out any longer. The last thing I want is some flat footed boogie for 5 weeks, where we do absolutely nothing and wait for people to bid, and then realize we're asking too much. We will lower the asking price to a second which is too damn low, were gonna keep him, and there's going to be even more drama. Scratch that, I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen, I feel like a little boy lost in a super market right now. I just want this Marshall situation to end to be honest.

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-04-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

seahawks hosting marshall tomorrow.

if they sign him... hello pick #6

Trade up for Suh, McCoy, Bradford? Suh, McCoy not prototypical 3-4 NT's

Stay put and take Clausen?

Hope Berry falls to 6?

McClain?

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-05-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO there is no way we get the 6th pick from seattle. we dont really want it, and i doubt they would pay that much for marshall. if he goes to seattle, it will be via trade and not the offer sheet.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we settle for nothing less than our original pick in a trade. 2nd rounder would just be stupid. At least picking in the mid first there would be a small chance of drafting a good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

FYI Denver Just Signed This Guy

Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
FYI Denver Just Signed This Guy:

Probably at DE, no? Could play NT.
Did Baltimore slide Ngata over to NT when Kelly Gregg was injured? That was when Bannan got a starting job.

I could see a DL rotation that has him putting in some time at both spots (along with DT when we go to a 4 man front). That's the kind of versatility McD likes.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Broncos just signed Nate Jones to compete with Alphonso Smith to be the nickel back. I think this ends any speculation that Denver will go DB early in the draft.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
Broncos just signed Nate Jones to compete with Alphonso Smith to be the nickel back. I think this ends any speculation that Denver will go DB early in the draft.

If we were drafting a corner in the first or second round, I'm pretty we wouldn't be drafting him to play nickleback. Sure, maybe year one he would play nickleback... but you don't draft a player just for his year one value.

You don't... pass up a decent corner round 1 or 2 just because of "Nathan Jones..." Who I've actually never heard of. If you have a need for a true #2 corner (or a replacement for Champ, or Alphonso) you fill it. Who the **** cares if he isn't a lock to be a nickleback corner his first year? The idea is to develop him and turn him into a #1 if you draft him early, which is why I don't get how you could possibly claim Nathan Jones would prevent that. I mean, I'd understand if the player we signed were say... Lito Sheppard. But Nathan Jones?

Second off, "DB" is a very broad term that encompasses CBs and safetys. The signing of this scrub cornerback who probably won't see the field much will not prevent us from going safety round 1 or 2 if we really want to, especially if Berry is on the board at 11 for some strange reason, or we get an urge to go safety round two. Dawkins won't be around forever, and I usually think taking the best player is the best option, unless your quarterback is Manning, Brees or Brady, and the best player left is a QB

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-05-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
If we were drafting a corner in the first or second round, I'm pretty we wouldn't be drafting him to play nickleback. Sure, maybe year one he would play nickleback... but you don't draft a player just for his year one value.

You don't... pass up a decent corner round 1 or 2 just because of "Nathan Jones..." Who I've actually never heard of. If you have a need for a true #2 corner (or a replacement for Champ, or Alphonso) you fill it. Who the **** cares if he isn't a lock to be a nickleback corner his first year? The idea is to develop him and turn him into a #1 if you draft him early, which is why I don't get how you could possibly claim Nathan Jones would prevent that. I mean, I'd understand if the player we signed were say... Lito Sheppard. But Nathan Jones?

Second off, "DB" is a very broad term that encompasses CBs and safetys. The signing of this scrub cornerback who probably won't see the field much will not prevent us from going safety round 1 or 2 if we really want to, especially if Berry is on the board at 11 for some strange reason, or we get an urge to go safety round two. Dawkins won't be around forever, and I usually think taking the best player is the best option, unless your quarterback is Manning, Brees or Brady, and the best player left is a QB
Nathan Jones is not a "scrub cornerback" in the eyes of McDaniels. He is our new nickelback, if he beats out Alphonso Smith. We will not draft a corner in the first three rounds to be 5th on the depth chart. I would put good money on that. McDaniels is obviously comfortable with Champ and Goodman as the starters for the time being. I don't necessarily agree with his strategy, but it's reality. And I also disagree with your assessment of our safeties. McBath showed decent range as a rookie and will likely be the replacement once Dawkins retires. Hill is entrenched on the other side. Bruton has shown he is at least a valuable backup. You don't draft a player to be either the 5th safety or corner in the early rounds. That is just plain stupid.

And Lito Sheppard? Seriously?

WELCOME REALITY
Old 03-06-2010, 06:26 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Let's not forget... I'm not arguing that we will draft a corner early on, I'm arguing that Nathan Jones would have absolutely zero to do with the decision of not drafting a corner rounds 1-3.

Quote:
He is our new nickelback, if he beats out Alphonso Smith.
Which he won't. I don't care how bad Alphonso Smith is, McDaniels is more likely to eat crow drafting another corner early than putting Nathan at #3.

Quote:
Hill is entrenched on the other side. Bruton has shown he is at least a valuable backup.
I'd like to think that our organization strives for a little more than "valuable backups". As for McBath, you're right. He did show some promise. But we could still use another safety in the near future. Bruton will never be an average starter in my eyes, he will always be a solid special teamer and a backup, but to say that he is good enough to prevent us from drafting a future starter, I am sure that 99% of us would argue that being a "good backup" doesn't cut it in this league. You'd like to give the guy some time to develop, but I think If a guy like Eric Berry miraculously rolled around, you can't pass.

Quote:
You don't draft a player to be either the 5th safety or corner in the early rounds

You're right, you don't. You take a guy who is great like Earl Thomas or someone you think has a lot of upside, and you develop them. Just because they start over 5 guys year one doesn't mean they aren't the future. Also... when you invest an early round pick on a guy of that talent... Chances are he's going to be high on the depth chart as is. If you see a guy you like, you pull the trigger, especially if you're teams future is average at that position.

Quote:
And Lito Sheppard? Seriously?
Yes? Seriously? Does it surprise you that I think that a 28 year old 2 Time Pro Bowl Corner who might be on the decline (but is still what we call "talented") is better than Nathan ****ing Jones? Yes. Yes I think signing a two time pro bowler would hypothetically prevent us from drafting a corner early on. I also believe in evolution and global warming. Seriously.

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-06-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

It's obvious to me that you know nothing about Nathan Jones. Granted, he's no world-beater, but he did have a solid season with Miami as their nickelback. Lito Sheppard had a terrible season last year and will probably command a lot more money than he's worth (due to his history, like you said, as a pro-bowler).

And if you agree that Hill and McBath could be the future at safety once Dawk retires, how could you justify taking a guy like Earl Thomas when you could be filling holes at DL/OL/QB/LB/WR? We can't afford to be making luxury picks.

Once again, let me reiterate. I don't necessarily agree with this approach. I am merely relaying my opinion of what McDaniels' strategy may be.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
And if you agree that Hill and McBath could be the future at safety once Dawk retires, how could you justify taking a guy like Earl Thomas when you could be filling holes at DL/OL/QB/LB/WR? We can't afford to be making luxury picks.
We are pretty much set at safety. I think we could use another young corner to groom behind Jones (Smith seems better suited to play outside rather than in the slot), but that doesn't need to be an early pick. From a need perspective, any of the other positions you mentioned would make more sense than the secondary (well, WR only if Marshall is gone).

All that being said, I think the team will go with the "scheme-BPA" approach, that is, look for the best player available who fits what you are trying to do. If the highest rated guy on their board based on this approach is a CB, they'll take him.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
It's obvious to me that you know nothing about Nathan Jones. Granted, he's no world-beater, but he did have a solid season with Miami as their nickelback. Lito Sheppard had a terrible season last year and will probably command a lot more money than he's worth (due to his history, like you said, as a pro-bowler).

Once again, let me reiterate. I don't necessarily agree with this approach. I am merely relaying my opinion of what McDaniels' strategy may be.
Clearly I don't, because I said I've never heard of the guy. I just think this is just an opinionated argument. I don't think our safetys hack it. And I'm huge into the "draft the best player available" philosophy. That's just the way I am, and I don't think you can hold it against me, when it clearly works with some teams (and doesn't with others)

Second, I don't think Hill is the future. I don't recall mentioning his name in my previous posts. So that leaves one safety spot to be vacated, and I'd like to think Berry would vacate either. IMHO.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
wait, renaldo hill is the future at safety? the guy is going to be 32 a game or two into next season. that's not a 'future'. that's barely a 'present'.
LOL. Hey, Hill is a nice caretaker compared so some of the garbage we trotted out on the field towards the end of Shanahan's tenure...

McBath should be Hill's replacement. He was a centerfielder at TxTech and IMO showed enough this year to be cautiously optimistic about his future role on the team.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Yeah, I'm not sure future was the right word.

WELCOME REALITY

Last edited by jCut : 03-08-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
saw the jamal williams rumor in the FA thread. i'd be ******* stoked. i'd think NT should still be a draft need, but i think it could drop to a 5th+ round area, where i think the value would be better. further, we could let whoever learn from a guy who was, at one point, one of the two best NTs in the league.
What was the main reason for SD releasing him? Money?

WELCOME REALITY
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
i feel like there may have been health concerns as well? he's also clearly not the same guy he was a few years ago, but like i posted on the other thread, that still makes him leaps and bounds better than the crap we have.

i'd guess that also 'officially' puts bannan at DE?
Bannan is a rotation guy (like the rest of our d-line). He will play some NT or DE on 1st and 2nd downs, but he wont likely be in on passing downs. I dont think he normally plays a lot of snaps as apparently he wears down quickly. He is surely not the answer to our defensive woes from last year, but should be more solid against the run than most guys we already have.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So if Eric Berry slips to the 11th pick would you pass on the guy who could be a Rod Woodson type player for the next 10 years starting off @ CB and moving to FS in his later years

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some Bronco News:

Jamal Williams formerly of the Chargers is set to take a physical in Denver.

Jarvis Green formerly of the Patriots is in Denver for a visit.

With Williams Green and Bannan our 3-4 front line just got a whole lot formidable, assuming Williams is healthy.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 PM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
Some Bronco News:

Jamal Williams formerly of the Chargers is set to take a physical in Denver.

Jarvis Green formerly of the Patriots is in Denver for a visit.

With Williams Green and Bannan our 3-4 front line just got a whole lot formidable, assuming Williams is healthy.

I like the Jamal Williams signing. Might be the Ted Washington going to the Patriots type impact until Denver finds a NT of the future

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote