Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Broncos land former Patriots DE Ty Warren with a 2-year, $10 million deal that includes $2.5 million guaranteed.

Gotta be honest, wasn't expecting that.

Very nice addition though.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i can dig a warren/bunkley/thomas trio in the middle with doom and von bringing pressure on the outside.

will this be the first year in a while that the defense is superior to the offense? i say yes, if only because our offense has the potential to be straight trash
Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the deal w/ Tebow so far? Everything I have heard is basically a retread of last year with the media crapping on him about not being an NFL QB. Merrill Hoge was the latest to sing this tune.

I don't think Fox's vanilla offense will do him many favors. Denver seems content with a ball control offense and not implementing anything that tailor's to Tebow's skills. He is a dynamic type player, i thought he played fairly well as a rookie last year in those last three games.

It would be a shame if they just did not let him play this year and see how it goes rather than just give up on him.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Njx, what are your thoughts on Tebow?

I hear all this praise for Newton coming out of Panthers camp, they seem to be catering the play book to his skills. I have never really heard anything but criticism of Tebow since he was drafted last year. They might as well just let the guy play IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

This is a hypothetical for you but if he does not work out at QB...do you think they would consider converting him to RB?...not H-BACK, TE or FB but an actual RB. Due to his style of play I think he could potential be a Bettis/Alstott type RB. In all honesty I think he is already better than either Moreno or McGahee at this point in his career.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

edit: so I think we are second in the waiver wire carousel...

whatever big name wash up with a once-enormous-contract might become a bronco very very soon.

Last edited by Jimmy : 08-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
will this be the first year in a while that the defense is superior to the offense? i say yes, if only because our offense has the potential to be straight trash
I don't think so. The QB drama is getting all the attention, but really the offense is going to be improved in just about every other area. I'm hearing good things about the OL, the triple threat of Lloyd-Royal-Decker is looking very solid, we've got a much better competition at RB and the TE situation got a major boost with both veteran depth and the emergence of Julius Thomas as a downfield threat.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hearing a lot of good things about Julius Thomas. At the very least, it sounds like he's had a good camp so far. I think he may be the starter at TE.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
Hearing a lot of good things about Julius Thomas. At the very least, it sounds like he's had a good camp so far. I think he may be the starter at TE.
He's running with the 1's at the moment (along with Quinn as the blocking TE), but we'll see if that holds up once the FA vets get more into the mix.

I think we'll see a lot of 2 TE sets this season, and if Thomas can keep it up he could put up some nice numbers. Plenty of other threats in the passing game to open up the deep middle for him.

The nice thing about the new coaching staff is they seem to understand the importance of fitting the system to the player and not vice versa. Royal is a good example of that, where they're shifting him away from the read/option stuff that McD liked because it didn't play to his strengths. If they take the same kind of approach with Thomas, I think we'll like the results.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In Canton, Ohio getting ready to see Shannon inducted. More Broncos fans turned up here than any other fan base. Be proud. Posting pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by Jimmy : 08-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How has Von Miller looked in camp? Is he living up to the hype so far?
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...idental,21074/

i hope you enjoy it njx :)

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
How has Von Miller looked in camp? Is he living up to the hype so far?
Yes, he looks deadly. The fastest front 7 player by far, both in terms of raw speed and burst off the snap. He and Doom rushing from opposite sides are giving the OL fits. He's been surprisingly good at coverage as well.

The coaching staff have been using him in different ways - SLB in a 4-3 under, DE in a 4-2-5 nickle, even roving a bit in the 3-3-5 look. I noticed an interesting aligment yesterday with Doom, 3 DT's (Warren, Bunkley, Thomas) and Miller standing at the other end spot... looking very 5-2 ish.

Anyway, for the first time in a long time, we appear to have multiple pass rush threats.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
since 1997ish? i'd love to have two ten sack guys for once. we'll need them to cover up for the secondary.
When did we have Pryce, Reggie Hayward and Bertrand Berry all on the roster? 2003? That was probably the last time. Shanahan was such an idiot in that respect - saying Hayward's emergence made Berry expendable was dubious, but then letting Hayward go the following year was ridiculous.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Yes, he looks deadly. The fastest front 7 player by far, both in terms of raw speed and burst off the snap. He and Doom rushing from opposite sides are giving the OL fits. He's been surprisingly good at coverage as well.

The coaching staff have been using him in different ways - SLB in a 4-3 under, DE in a 4-2-5 nickle, even roving a bit in the 3-3-5 look. I noticed an interesting aligment yesterday with Doom, 3 DT's (Warren, Bunkley, Thomas) and Miller standing at the other end spot... looking very 5-2 ish.

Anyway, for the first time in a long time, we appear to have multiple pass rush threats.

That's awesome. I always felt like he was going to be a stud. I think the guy has close to Derrick Thomas type talent (which is fairly rare to say the least).

What about Virgil Green how has he looked?
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

So I don't know if you guys love or despise AM 1510 mile high sports with Kiszla, but I took a liking to it listening on my iPhone radio app. They were talking about moving Tebow to FB, and asking listeners to call or e-mail in with past QB's who had made a switch to other positions in the NFL. Only reason I did was because I couldn't believe nobody had even mentioned M-Rob once.

Listen below.

Last edited by Jimmy : 08-11-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

For the worst QB in the history of all time, Quinn held his own against that 2nd string D.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 AM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, how has Bunkley been looking so far? I was kind of upset that the Eagles traded him for a bag of potato chips because he could be a really good 3-tech pass rusher.

Is he impressing at all so far?
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
For the worst QB in the history of all time, Quinn held his own against that 2nd string D.
Quinn looked better than both the other QB's. He was calm and composed, even though he was surrounded by some of the worst OL talent known to man (the backup C is awful).
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Hey guys, how has Bunkley been looking so far? I was kind of upset that the Eagles traded him for a bag of potato chips because he could be a really good 3-tech pass rusher.
Bunkley looked fine in limited action. We are going to be much improved along the DL, both because of the additions and the scheme change.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Thoughts from Preseason Game 1:

The running game looks much improved. It is primarily a zone scheme out of power formations (2 TE, offset I) with some man blocking elements (pulling guards, man double teams). It certainly seemed our veteran OL are way more comfortable in this system. The Franklin-Kuper combo bears watching - Franklin is a mauler and Kuper is excellent at getting to the 2nd level. Walton had a decent game as well, which is encouraging because I was worried he would be the weak link. The offensive line depth is shockingly bad, though... we'll definitely be working the waiver wire to grab some help once cut time comes.

Both Moreno and McGahee looked great. We ran all over the Dallas 1st string D. McGahee easily could've punched it in at the 1 if we were looking for points, but the coaching staff instead ran some pass plays to see what Orton could do (The answer? Nothing). The other back who looked good was Jeremiah Johnson - he was clearly more explosive than the other 2 backs he was rotating with (Ball, Minor).

As I've mentioned before, I like our depth at WR and the game didn't do anything to change my mind on that point. Decker, Willis, Anderson, Dell, Goodwin, Riley... they all made plays. It's an enviable situation, but the coaching staff are going to have some tough decisions to make. The TE's were quiet, though Fells looked good as a blocker.

Between the scheme change and the new additions, our DL is definitely improved. We were actually pretty decent at stopping stuff between the tackles. We've got some depth too - our backup DE's played well, especially Hunter who was getting consistent pressure.

The LB's seem to be another relatively deep unit. I liked what I saw from some of the 2nd and 3rd string guys (Braxton Kelly, Lee Robinson, Mario Haggan) in terms of stuffing the run.

The secondary... well, it had some highlights and lowlights. Kyle McCarthy made a very strong bid to earn a spot in the SS rotation. He looked like the best defensive player on the field once the starters were gone. On the other hand, Nate Jones was absolutely awful in coverage... IIRC, he gave up 2 TD's and a 2 point conversion. It is not overreaction to say that Nate needs to be cut immediately.

Of course, I saved the best (?) for last. The QB's all got their chance, with interesting results. Orton had the benefit of the 1st team running game (which Dallas couldn't stop) and moved the ball down the field nicely. Of course, the offense then choked in the red zone with 3 straight incompletions (same old same old). Tebow was energetic but inconsistent - he had a great throw to Willis (40+ yard bomb) but played a little out-of-control at other times. Quinn was very composed, moved around well in the pocket and made plays... despite some awful play but the backup OL. He looked far different from the guy who in the past was so quick to crumble under pressure.

Overall, I'm encouraged by what I saw. Hopefully the team can continue to make strides over the next 3 games.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
who the heck played DT besides thomas and bunkley?
Bunkley and Thomas got most of the snaps with the first team. Vickerson was playing with the 2nd string, despite being listed with at the top of the depth chart. Warren got a few 1st string snaps, then teamed with Vickerson. Later in the game, I noticed #62 shoot some gaps and create some nice pressure with Hunter... according to the team page that's Ronnell Brown, who I know nothing about. McBean sucked against the scrubs, so I suspect he's gone after the first round of cuts.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default Working the waiver wire...

After reviewing the Dallas game, I think we're going to be quite active once the cuts start taking place:

C - Walton is still a work in progress and we have nothing behind him.

G - The 2nd string OG's were ******* awful against Dallas.

FB - I was hoping one of our TE's would be repurposed to fill this need. Larsen offers little as a runner or receiver and misses blocks too often for my liking. If Sylvester can't show enough to beat him, we need to get some veteran help.

CB - Cox is facing serious legal problems, Jones sucks beyond all suckage and we really only have two proven commodities (Champ and Goodman). Adding a savvy veteran would probably help.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
i don't see us finding anything worth playing in the secondary (in waivers). massive failure by the front office in free agency, imo (i'd note that i'm not suggesting we should've signed aso, but it was a glaring weakness, even had cox not gotten in trouble). goodman shouldn't be a #2 corner at this point. meh.
I think Cox would've turned into a solid #3 (or even #2) guy for us over the course of the season, but his legal situation is a disaster. I suspect the team is counting on him ending up behind bars.

From what I've seen/heard, the team really likes Syd and Vaughn, but that's a lot of pressure to put on two relatively untested players.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it appears warren is out for the year........should we just start hoping for luck at this point?