Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 12-19-2006, 12:14 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Tonight, I didn't think iut was as much personnel as philosophy. We played defense like we were afraid. Our offensive line played poorly too. Can't blame Carson for being erratic when he's running for his life every down. This is the way the season began midpoint went with him being knocked down every other pass.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:30 AM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballGod
Good God to we need Pollack and Thurman back next year. I pray that Pollack will return and if he does then he needs to be back at DE. He is a stud at DE and has that Linebacker type of quickness. I don't care what Thurman has done in the past if he can return clean and play like he did his rookie season. He could have been rookie of the year. We need them both. What do you guys think of putting Pollack back at DE if he returns?
I thought Pollacks career was over?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:22 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Pollack was quoted in the paper as saying that he was alarmed when friends called him to discuss his retirement. He says it's way to early for that topic to be thought of yet as it will depend on what type of surgery gets done and how it all turns out.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:45 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott
Tonight, I didn't think iut was as much personnel as philosophy. We played defense like we were afraid. Our offensive line played poorly too. Can't blame Carson for being erratic when he's running for his life every down. This is the way the season began midpoint went with him being knocked down every other pass.
So true on every point. The players themselves weren't terrible (with the exception of the horribly beat up Oline), the play calling and shceme on defense was just terrible. I believe they're all fixable problems.

Carson is mortal when he loses faith in the Oline. We saw it in the middle of the season and we saw it again Monday night. If he loses faith in the Oline he starts rushing throws and dancing around in the pocket. When he has faith in the Oline he just sits back there and makes the passes calm and cool.

Sunday the protection MUST improve. If Carson is comfortable we win, if not we struggle like Monday and the middle of the season. The Oline is EVERYTHING to this team, much more so than the defense.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Basically our whole O-line is out, or we would be doing much better...

^Thanks BK!
Bengalsrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:29 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

I think the main problem when Carson gets erratic is that he doesn't have the room to complete his follow through and his release point is higher making balls sail on him. As mentioned, if they give him time, we'll be fine.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:43 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Willie is probable. Whitworth only had his first bad game against Freeney so you can understand that. Levi is quesitonable and Braham is out.

Give Carson time and we win, plain and simple. Given the health - or lack thereof - of the offensive line that's a big question mark at this point.

Just watch Carson though, if he gets protection he'll just sit back there cool and calm. If not it's like he's figity and always pump faking. If he has protection he has the confidence in the line and even if he does get pressure he still gets out of it calm and cool.

The season is on the line tomorrow, we can still get in if we lose but it's going to take a whole lot. IMO we win and we're in.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:00 AM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

I think if the team wants to improve we need to clean house up top and get new coordinators both offensive and defensive. Of course I dont think Marvin should be gone but the only reason I see both sides of the ball play bad is bc the coaches dont put the players in a position to succeed. I believe with a new OC the offense can be taken to new heights. With the lame play calling right now if it wasnt for the talent on offense we would only put up like 6 points a game.

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:10 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

AGREED.

I hope Bratkowski gets a HC job somewhere. Mostly Breshnahan is our problem. It's honestly not so much the players, they've been making tackles.

Our defense is worst against the pass because we RUSH FOUR EVERYTIME!!! You can't expect the secondary to just lie back there and cover for days when there is no heat on the QB.

Breshnahan must go, Bratkowski won't be missed.

Our defense is not as bad as it looks (in talent), I mean did you see how many times the linebackers dropped back 10 yards on first down and Peyton just took what we gave him numerous times.

You can't lose because of play calling, I can take losing because players miss tackles but it was ALL scheme last Monday (on defense). The offense was mostly the Oline.

I wish Marvin would take over the defense for the last however many games we have... He did that to Leslie Frazier.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:52 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

That was about the worst game I have ever seen Palmer play. He overthrew several receivers, rarely hit a guy in stride and then I am about sick of Chris Henry's 1 handed efforts. If Tab Perry was healthy, I think Henry skinny ass would be on the bench. Big players on this team have to step up and start playing big. Chad dropped a couple, Chad was called for a movement violation that cost another TD. Get your heads out of your ass! They don't deserve the playoffs but if Jets lose tomorrow we are still in if we beat the Steelers next week.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 AM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

Leon Washington just delivered a huge lump of coal to the bengals.

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:43 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

We are getting exactly what we deserve after embarassing losses to Tampa, and terrible games vs. Atl, SD and Denver. We can call ourselves a good team but these guys have to take the next step and prove it rather than just think it in their heads.

Time to think about next year? I was looking over the WR corp and wondering if there's any chance we maybe try to unload Chris Henry for a draft pick if there's any takers. We have Chad, TJ, Tab Perry, Glen Holt, Benny Brazille, KW, Skylar Green and an upcoming draft. I'm just wondering whether or not they unload Chris just as a way of saying we are tired of antics that distract the team. I know he may be a future star, but it seems if you throw to him 5 times, he catches 1 or 2 at most giving a piss-poor effort at that and then his off field stuff is troubling. Got any opinions?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:21 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CB is the most important need on this team. Tory James is no longer able to play CB in the NFL. If you remember when we got him he was only supposed to be a stop gap for a year or two at most. We got more out of him than we thought we could and I thank him for that but its time to go. I dont think he will be offered a contract after this season. J-Jo is our starting CB next year for sure but O'Neil is getting up there in age as well. He is always up and down. Deltha is not the most consistant player out there. Hobson from Bengals.com said it himself, "O’Neal lives pretty far in Lewis’ doghouse these days and Joseph’s emergence hasn’t unlocked any doors. O'Neal has two years left on his deal, but two of his three seasons here have been injury plagued." Wouldn't it be nice to get another shut down CB so that he can learn for a year behind Deltha and maybe take over his spot in 2008.

Steinbach wants LT type of money when he is a Guard. He will get paid top 5 money from someone but I feel that it won't be us. Whitworth is more of a Guard than a Tackle. He only played tackle because of all the injuries to Levi.

I would rather spend the money on a defensive player than on Steinbach when we have his replacement. I am still not sure whether or not we should resign Justin Smith. I would not even call him average as a starter in the NFL. I feel that he is slightly below average as and NFL starter. He only has one move and thats the Bullrush, sorry but this is the NFL and you can't just push everyone around like in college Justin. He is not worth the money. I would rather get a different DE in the draft or Free Agency. I feel that the defense needs a major overhaul. A killer LB, CB, or Safety in free agency would also be better than resigning Smith. What do you guys think about this?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:36 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

I sure hope we can lure a couple "quality" free agents to the team this year. I agree that CB is a definite need in either rd 1 or 2 and no later. I don't know about O'Neal, he was a stud his first year here and this year he plays very disinterested and without any passion at all. I agree James is done. I also think Simmons is about done and wouldn't mind seeing him cut loose. Maybe John Thornton also. I kinda liked Shaun Smith but he must be in the doghouse too. Remember, we get Frostee Rucker back but I thought he was taken way too high. I like J.Smith and we need more "try-hard" guys that always give max effort. He's a good run stopper for a DE and gets you 6-7 sacks too. I hope that we get a clean Odell back but I wouldn't bve surprised to see a move to trade Henry and cut loose Odell to make a point. With the return of Tab Perry and Benny Brazille, we would be pretty good still at WR if we could get a 3rd rd pick for CH. Maybe I'm dreaming. I know he's a stud but he could implode at any minute...especially with the offseason coming up.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I didn't go into depression, I just decided to ignore football for a few days

I agree. CB MUST be addressed round 1 or 2 of the draft, Marvin himself said the draft is the best route due to the cost of CB's in FA.

DT is NOT a first day need. Peko has a non-stop motor and is a very solid player already, between Robinson/Thornton/Sam we have enough guys for that other slot and Shaun Smith is a good player but Marvin has always had a thing against him (I think he felt he didn't practice well or something).

I would be completely comfortable taking CB/S round 1 and 2. We have enough depth at LB and young guys (Jeanty/Ahmad then Odell and Pollack being question marks). Right now I'm really hoping we re-sign Justin Smith, if not then CB and DE must be the day one picks.

Breshnahan was at least aggressive last week, still I wouldn't mind seeing another DC in there.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Bengalman999

Along with a good CB or 2 we need to maybe find another good linebacker because Pollack is going to need surgery on his neck and it looks to be like 25% that he'd be able to play again, So don't be surprised if he doesn't return because not many people are able to walk away from a broken neck twice in the life without chances of getting paralyzed but it may not and you also have to consider that simmons is pretty much in the same position where he is getting old and on the edge of being to old to keep up, also maybe a decent tight end, for some reason Brown doesn't think tight end is an important position
Old 12-31-2006, 01:07 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman999
Along with a good CB or 2 we need to maybe find another good linebacker because Pollack is going to need surgery on his neck and it looks to be like 25% that he'd be able to play again, So don't be surprised if he doesn't return because not many people are able to walk away from a broken neck twice in the life without chances of getting paralyzed but it may not and you also have to consider that simmons is pretty much in the same position where he is getting old and on the edge of being to old to keep up, also maybe a decent tight end, for some reason Brown doesn't think tight end is an important position
You stole my avy. :evil:
Old 12-31-2006, 01:22 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Marvin laughs at the idea of addressing TE early, it's just not a need. TJ is the most productive WR on 3rd downs and in the red zone. In a sense he fills our role for TE while our actual TE's block. There is a very slim need for a TE, probably via FA or 6th/7th round.

I don't think LB is a big need. Caleb is a solid backup, Jeanty has some solid potential, Landon is productive, Ahmad has massive potential, Odell could be back, Nicholson could still be productive. Given how weak LB is in this class there's really not any reason to address it. It seems every year Marvin flirts with a LB in FA (Hartwell, Sharper, Arrington etc) so there's potential we go that route as well. The future could still be Jeanty/Odell/Ahmad and that's pretty solid, Ahmad WILL be a star in this league.

I'd be all over Michael Griffin round 1 and Aaron Ross round 2. Our secondary would be set for years.

I'm not convinced we need to re-sign Justin Smith so I'm just going to assume the Blackburns will take care of him and until he's officially gone I'll just ignore DE as a need. Geathers/Rucker/Smith would be enough for the near future. Given Geathers ability as a pass rusher he can be groomed into a solid starter, plus I think he'll only be like 24 next season.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Bengalman999

All I gotta say is that we are the Boston Red Sox of the NFl with everything that has happened to us :(
Old 01-01-2007, 03:22 AM    (permalink
Bengalman999

I wonder why we don't start Geathers more, the guy was the first player on team to record over 10 sack since Reinard Wilson I believe in 2001 and the fact is he was sharing time with robinson. I mean he's in only his 3rd year going into his forth, so it's not like he has an age problem, I think Marvin and Bresnahan have been to reliant on the athleticsism of our defensive backs to make the big play but putting some pressure on the quarterback is what causes the bad throws in which we can intercept, because I know our D Line hasn't produced much in the recent years.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Peko is a keeper on the Oline, I think Geathers can be developed into an every down DE (as I said I think he's only like 23).

It would be really nice to get Woodley round one however we're up too high for that and we could potentially get McCauley which would be sweet. Griffin would be there for the taking and maybe, just maybe Reggie Nelson could fall back to us.

I think a certain amount of the lack of pressure on the QB is on Breshnahan. It's hard to get pressure on the QB sending 4 every time on 3rd and long.

Peko/Fanene/Shaun Smith may be the future starters at DT. I like what I see from Peko/Smith. At DE Geathers has potential to be an every down DE so that almost sets up our DL. Just depends on what we do with Justin Smith, it'd be nice to re-sign him for sure.

We MUST take a CB round 1 or 2. James sucks, Deltha has fallen out of favor and Joseph is our only solid starter. Saftey wouldn't be bad to address only if some stud, playmaking Saftey is there for the taking.

Next year I think we address the 2nd CB spot, Ahmad Brooks starts at SLB and bring pressure on the QB, our Oline gets healthy.

Next year we play the NFC West, AFC East and 2 easier fill in games. I'm honestly already anticipating a 13-3 season next year.

This year was just one of those years, we couldn't do things right ourselves and when we did we'd get screwed (see Tampa game). These kind of years are bound to happen, the Chargers fans are all too familiar.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

For some reason, Shaun Smith has gotten in Marvin's doghouse and was inactive for the last 2 games. I do think we still have DT problems evidenced by the way Pitts ran down our throats. Our LBers, other than maybe a Brooks, are not the type can can step in a hole and make a stop at the line. I love what Caleb has done but he's a sideline to sideline guy and to be effective in run stopping, I sure hope Odell makes it back. I think we have quite a few holes. We absolutely have to have 1 CB that can become an eventual starter if not immediately and hopefully we draft 2 CBs that make the team. We need a young Safety unless makes Jones or Busing can really be NFL starters. We need a pass rushing DE to replace Smith. We need another gem like Peko. Right now, we have 2 LBers on this team that are of no use to the defense, Wilkens and Frazier are strictly Spec Teamers. They are valuable but I would prefer they be replaced with guys that can play both well. On offense, I'd like a TE, another WR and OG depth. Maybe even a RB late in the draft.....that's far more requests than we have draft picks but hopefully we can fill most of our needs. Hopefully we are aggressive in free agency and go after quality
Old 01-01-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

deyebc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default DRAFT ORDER

1st Round
CB/DE
CB - Marcus McCauley hands down the best nfl prospect(size, build and speed to be the other good corner we need)

DE - If we decide to move to a 3/4 finally i'd say we pick up Adam Carriker from Nebraska as he's a big guy that can move.

DE - If we stay in a 4/3 then a more athletic DE like Victor Abiamiri.

2nd Round
DE/CB

CB - Fred Bennett of South Carolina, has a lot of upside and would be a good nickel CB until Deltha is done.

DE - Tim Crowder of Texas - Athletic and has good size. Will upgrade our pass rush from what Justin Smith did.

Also, Justin Smith will be gone unless we can sign him resonable. We might also take another lineback to replace Odell in the 3rd round since he wont be back as meth is a hard drug to beat.....
deyebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good first post but we dont have a 3rd round pick this year.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

I have never heard anyone within the organization mention the idea of going to a 3-4. With downlinemen like Geathers, J. Smith(who is likely gone) and Frostee Rucker, they would all have to convert to OLBer and that is asking alot to have numerous guys switching positions. Also, Sam Adams was at his best as a 4-3 guy with the Ravens and I have to admit that I don't see him taking up to blockers too often anymore. I think we will remain a 4-3 and unless Bresnahan goes away, it seems we will be a very passive 4-3 that allows QBs to scan the field forever before making a throw.