Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 01-01-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

deyebc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 3/4

It is not out of reach to think the bengals could move to a 3/4....

Geathers could be used in the same way that under-sized Terrel Suggs in Baltimore is being used in a DE/OLB, Sam Adams and Shaun Smith would be more than adequate at ng, drafting a 3/4 DE and mixing in Domato would fill the other end(this would leave out John Thornton and Bryan Robinson who are making more than they are worth to the team right now).

Then at linebacker is where you would need things to happen. IF Odell comes back you have Odell and Simmons in the middle (eventually Brooks for Simmons) with Jeanty (would be a great OLB in a 3/4 and could even line up at end on passing downs like joey porter) and L. Johnson on the outside.

A couple of things would have to fall into place for the bengals to switch to a 3/4, but none of which is too far-fetched and anything is better than the non-blitzing 4-3 being run now.
deyebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Listening to Marvin today, he made it quite clear that he doesn't expect Odell to be a member of the team. Maybe he's just making him sweat but I think Marvin is still pissed. Then, we go and sign Berryman of Iowa St to the practice squad after the kid has been arrested like 5 times in his Jr yr getting himself kicked out of the school. I don't get it? I don't know if a switch to 3-4 will take place but I do feel we need an upgrade in DT, CB....and now that I think of it, I was likely going to include LB and S too so we need lots of help on defense and unless Mike Brown goes out and gets us Adaluis Thomas, which would be huge, I doubt we can fill all of our needs in the draft.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Selfishness keeps being mentioned as one of the root causes for our teams problems this season. It is obvious to think that the finger points at Chad but I think it more likely points at Chris Henry, Delta O'Neal and Odell Thurman. These guys let the team down major by their off the field actions that led to suspensions and benchings. If Odell isn't forgiven and brought back (should he meet all league requirements for reinstatement), then hopefully he can be traded and get some value in return. For a rookie LBer, he was tops in tackles, 4 pics, 4 forced fumbles and brought a face of toughness to this defense that was lacking this year. I hope Marvin gives him 1 more chance, but who knows, maybe by next preseason, Odell will be in some alley doing crack, hopefully not. This offseason is really big to see if Chris Henry learned a lesson. I would think that just reading about D-Williams should convince Chris that staying home is the best thing during the season from now on.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

Default Henry

No way Henry stops going out, I saw him down in Clifton the day after he got arrested for Marijuana poss.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who cares if he goes out as long as he keeps going long for TD grabs.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as the 3-4 debate goes... I'll say this, I HOPE against all HOPE that Breshnahan is GONE. He is entirely too careful in his play calling, games when we go at the QB we do well (that is not sending 4 every down), games we send 4 every time (see Indy game) we struggle.

I highly doubt we go 3-4. Unless a 3-4 guy is brought in, regardless for the defense to reach a top 15 level we need another CB and a new DC.

As far as the selfishness claims go I think a lot of it has to do with Deltha, Marvin was very PO'd at him before the DUI because he felt he wasn't as injured as he was letting on and the DUI just made it worse. It has to be him, Odell and Henry but clearly Henry has at least some respect from Marvin. Henry will never learn either, I'm full of crazy stories about him (police reports, first hand accounts etc. ).

I hope Odell gets another shot, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but the guy can flat out play. Him at the level he played his rookie year with Brooks beside him (WOW). Jeanty I'm very impressed with, Landon you always know the kind of production you'll get out of him.

Concerning the draft I see our needs as....

1a. CB (McCauley round 1, Bennet/Ross round 2).
1b. DE (Round one we'd likely trade down to get good value, round 2 there will be plenty to be had... I don't see Moses as a good fit).
2. S (Playmaker like Griffin would be sweet, then address CB round 2)

Regardless we MUST address 2nd starting CB in either FA or probably the draft. Marvin seems to prefer the draft and after hitting gold with Joseph why shouldn't he?
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:40 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

A guy I'm really starting to like in Rd 2 is Dan Bazuin DE . It appears that he could really end up being a player and I think the MAC guys kinda go unnoticed or somewhat disrespected to an extent questioning what they accomplished and who they did it against. I like the Fred Bennett kid too as he would be able to team with his old running mate Jonathan Joseph.

I would hope that if Thurman isn't back, we at l;east trade him rather than release him.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

Default CHUCK

I completely agree that chuck needs to be relieved of his defensive play calling job. He may be a great motivator and a good disciplinarian(military background) but he does not call the game well. He plays too much cover two man that requires a ton of skill to be effective. We need a coordinator that will actually have the other team's offense questioning what kind of defense will be called next. Right now there is just not any mystery to what defense is going to be called and you do need to mix up your defensive play calls to be good(Ravens).....
Old 01-06-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Re: CHUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyebc
I completely agree that chuck needs to be relieved of his defensive play calling job. He may be a great motivator and a good disciplinarian(military background) but he does not call the game well. He plays too much cover two man that requires a ton of skill to be effective. We need a coordinator that will actually have the other team's offense questioning what kind of defense will be called next. Right now there is just not any mystery to what defense is going to be called and you do need to mix up your defensive play calls to be good(Ravens).....
Agreed completely. Our defense is very predictable and I think even with players like on the Ravens and Bears we still wouldn't have a top 5 D given Breshnahans terrible play calling. In the few games he brought heat on the QB from safties and LB's we won other than Denver but that was the fault of the offense.

In a dream offseason...

Breshnahan gets fired
Justin Smith leaves BUT we draft Quentin Moses
2nd round Aaaron Ross, Josh Wilson or Fred Bennett
Odell is allowed to stay, Pollack is able to recover
Old 01-06-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Now that it seems like there's actually some regular posters in here...

What's your top 4 out of these guys that could be there round 1 of the draft (DE's we'll assume Justin Smith is gone)

Darrelle Revis
Marcus McCauley
Quentin Moses
Victor Abiamiri
Charles Johnson
Reggie Nelson
Michael Griffin

My list:

1. Reggie Nelson - Versitile, could play CB or S and Marvin likes those guys.
2. Darrelle Revis - Tory James is done, Deltha is average at best we need a #2.
3. Quentin Moses - I'd like him to be better in run support plus there are studs to be had round 2.
4. Marcus McCauley - Raw but so was Joseph.

Round 2 I like Tim Crowder, Fred Bennett and Aaron Ross.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

1 Marcus McCauley - if he is still there at 18 we should grab him (he has the ability to be lockdown CB and those don't come around very often)
2 Victor Abiamiri - Solid player in college a lot like Geathers when he came out, but more matured.
3 Charles Johnson - great year but it's tough to call whether that will translate well into the pros
4 Michael Griffin - If he is still around there is a legitimate argument that they take him as the SS of the future (one year learning behind Dexter Jackson will work wonders). The downside is that you lose out on a position that is more needed such as DE or CB.

Quentin Moses won't be there when we pick and he is more of a 3/4 OLB than DE.
Darrelle Revis will be interesting with what time he runs at the combine. If he runs in the 4.35 range he is top 20.
Reggie Nelson - we already have a FS
Old 01-07-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

The reason I like Nelson is he could be potentially swapped to CB if needed and Marvin doesn't like the use of a FS and SS... Just two safties that can both stop the run and cover well.

I'm growing on Abiamiri, I haven't seen anything from Johnson so I don't have much of an opinion on him.

I agree with you about taking a saftey, I think the only way we can is if they're a can't miss type player. I like Nelson because he could potentially start a year at corner then we could draft another and eventually he could replace Jackson (it'd be asking a lot but still he has the ability).
Old 01-07-2007, 09:44 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Have you all heard the rumor that Justin Smiths locker and everything has already been cleaned out? I had a friend tell me it but I'm not sure of it.

Given Anderson coming out the draft plays right into our hands with the great CB's and DE's to be had.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 AM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

yeah it sucks to lose someone that is as solid as Justin Smith but with the talent at DE in this draft we have the possibility of bringing in a more explosive DE to team with Geathers.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ
Have you all heard the rumor that Justin Smiths locker and everything has already been cleaned out? I had a friend tell me it but I'm not sure of it.

Given Anderson coming out the draft plays right into our hands with the great CB's and DE's to be had.
I have yet to see an Anderson vs. Moses comparison. I am not sure who would be the better pro at this point. Two of the top 3 DE's and CB's will on the board when we pick at 18. We are set up to have a great first round no matter what.
Justin's locker is cleared out. Sports talk in Cincinnati said so last week.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Yes, round one is shaping up lovely and given the talent coming in at DE it might be best to just wait off until round 2 for a DE.

Round 1...

Anderson, Moses, Revis or McCauley should be there. Anderson would be a better immediate fit given his build (6'6 280) to play every down but STL or someone else in front of us should be a runner for him. I'm hoping Brohm comes out and that makes one less player we would want go ahead of us (Panthers/St. Louis).
Old 01-08-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I currently have the Bengals in a GM Mock

Any suggestions?

My basis is to switch to a 3-4.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

It would be fantastic if they made the switch but as I posted earlier there are a lot of things that would have to fall into place for that to happen and it doesnt look like some of them will happen. Having said this I think the best picks in order of availability are:
1 Quentin Moses
2 Marcus McCauley/Darrelle Revis (I think after the combine we will have a better feel for which will be there)
3 Victor Abiamiri
4 Charles Johnson
5 Michael Griffin
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, round one is shaping up lovely and given the talent coming in at DE it might be best to just wait off until round 2 for a DE.

Round 1...

Anderson, Moses, Revis or McCauley should be there. Anderson would be a better immediate fit given his build (6'6 280) to play every down but STL or someone else in front of us should be a runner for him. I'm hoping Brohm comes out and that makes one less player we would want go ahead of us (Panthers/St. Louis).
I honestly don't know if Anderson is going to be there, he's a sick pass rusher and there's talk he could rise after pre-draft workouts and go before Adams.

As for the guys you mentioned before, I'd personally go:
1. Nelson
2. Revis
3. Johnson
4. Griffin (I was thinking about Abiamiri but I think Griffin is safer)

Not a big fan of Moses or McCauley personally as they didn't produce well this year, but that's just me I guess. What about Glenn Dorsey if he comes out?

I heard somewhere that because of the bad corner play they're considering moving Madieu Williams back to corner (he was a CB/S coming out) so if that's true I guess they could just go best DB available and put Madieu wherever they need him...
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Where did you see this Madieu rumor at? Wouldn't be the worst decision but I think given his production at saftey it'd be hard to move him back to corner with guys like McCauley and Revis there to be had round 1 (I think the only saftey there will be Griffin).

There's a lot to be decided between now and the draft (Justin Smith and maybe the Madieu move) that would have a large impact on who we take.

Regardless I am extremely confident it will be CB/DE/S.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Where did you see this Madieu rumor at? Wouldn't be the worst decision but I think given his production at saftey it'd be hard to move him back to corner with guys like McCauley and Revis there to be had round 1 (I think the only saftey there will be Griffin).

There's a lot to be decided between now and the draft (Justin Smith and maybe the Madieu move) that would have a large impact on who we take.

Regardless I am extremely confident it will be CB/DE/S.
Actually I don't think the Madieu thing was that legit, it was a question I saw at some point. Doesn't make much sense now that I think about it, I'd rather he sticks at safety. What about DT depending on who's available? I agree it should be line or secondary, and tackle may not be that huge of a need but if he's the best DL/DB available I'd at least think about it.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

There's no real need to pick a DT day one. Domata Peko was the second best rookie DT behind Ngata so he'll start... Then we signed big Sam, there's no reason to take a DT to sit next year when we're on the brink. Plus Marvin isn't a fan of DT's early (he is of CB's though) and he hit success with Peko and Smith/Fanene have potential to become starters.

LB isn't a huge need either, especially given how weak the class is this year. Miller/Brooks/Nicholson all have potential to start at MLB and be productive players. Jeanty is a productive SLB but Brooks could also move in there. Only real issue is WLB but Landon is a solid player and I think there are bigger needs than that slot.

Either way Ahmad Brooks WILL start next year, Pollack got good news, who knows about Odell. I'm sure Jeanty has earned a starting spot as well, he's great in run support. Caleb and Landon are not great but they're solid LB's. There is just no real big need for a LB at this point. I'm not sure what Simmons future is with the team, he might have one more year left in the tank... I thought Hardy may have back in '05 but Marvin cut him so who knows.

The issues at DE and CB are just too big to ignore.

CB we have our #1 Johnathan Joseph.... Then a bunch of question marks. Deltha has lost a lot of respect from Marvin (not because of the DUI but injury) and Tory James is TERRIBLE. Then that leaves Keiwan who is nothing more than a nickel back and some reserves who haven't seen the light of day. Our pass D was #31 for a reason and the pass rush wasn't great but not bad enough to cause them to be that bad, it's because the play of our #2 CB was so terrible.

At DE we have Geathers who still isn't an every down DE and Robinson who isn't anything special. Then Justin Smith is likely gone and he was a productive pass/run defense guy. I don't want Rucker taking that spot, there will be solid DE's to be had round 2 or round 1 so it has to be addressed here.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey i was just wondering how Ethan Kilmer did for u guys this year and what u think about his future in the NFL??

he was a Special teams beast for us at PSU and i was surprised and excited to see him get drafted but i havent seen many bengals games and i was wondering what u guys thought of him.
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hue Jackson is now the Falcons OC.

WOOT

That is all.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom
hey i was just wondering how Ethan Kilmer did for u guys this year and what u think about his future in the NFL??

he was a Special teams beast for us at PSU and i was surprised and excited to see him get drafted but i havent seen many bengals games and i was wondering what u guys thought of him.
He's a special teams beast for us as well. He's had some games at saftey (took a INT to the house vs. Saints) and had a lot of practice at WR.

He's a versitile guy that has a lot of job security given his speed, versitility and effort.

Onto Hue Jackson, I'm glad for him. He's a great motivator and communicates well with his player, I see no reason why he won't succeed as the OC and I wish him well... He earned it.