Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on possibly bringing in Kenny Irons in the Second round? He seems like he'd be a perfect fit in your ZBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on possibly bringing in Kenny Irons in the Second round? He seems like he'd be a perfect fit in your ZBS.
Love Irons, perfect for ZBS.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

primetime0506 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

heard we are talking to troy smith and kevin kolb at the senior bowl could be 2nd or 3rd rounders right there
primetime0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt we pick either of those two guys up in the second. I think our team is just doing due diligence, but with all the smokescreens and everything going on you just never know. I wouldn't mind a QB on the first day, but to be honest I think there are alot of other needs that should be addressed ahead of QB. However looking at value if there is a Smith in the third I think that would be great value. Unless we didn't take a RB and Irons is sitting there.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

How did Eric Winston look this year?
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay
How did Eric Winston look this year?
He looked like a damn caveman! J/K. He looked a little unprepared for like his first quarter of NFL action in the regular season, but really picked up and looks like he could be one of our anchors on the outside for a long time. He still needs to work on some technique, but once he owns his skills he should really take it to the next level.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

We got Frank Bush from the Cardinals as our Ass. Def. Cordinator. Thoughts?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know much about Bush, but from what Ive heard he is very experienced and was a guy that Kubiak wanted last year as his DC, but Arizona wouldnt let him interview....so he had to wait a year to get his man, and by some of the comments I read on the Texans website, Kubiak is thrilled to have him
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was on the Drookie team and then he messed his spine, and has narrowing of the spinal cord, like Cooper Manning. Cards LBs were pretty solid, Dansby and Hayes are real good players. If this guy was supposed to be a D coordinator for us, he must be good.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thoughts on the offseason I had in the forum mock?

Draft -

1. #36 (round 2) - Brandon Meriweather, FS/CB - University of Miami (FL)

Character concerns, I know (though I believe his particular concerns are a tad overrated, but still) But I mean, I cant go another season watching Glenn Earl and CC Brown starting at Safety.

Meriweather can play 2 positions of need for us, but will play safety most of the time.

In all seriousness, Meriweather might drop quite a bit further in the actual draft because of his character concerns, but my #1 and #2 options were just taken off the board and the board now lacks a lot of good options at DB. Brandon, in terms of skill is in the same category as Landry/Nelson/Griffin, most notably Griffin, and if not for the FIU incident would have been taken as high as mid-first. (I dont count the "incident" where he returned fire, legally, at someone who shot his roommate.)

When all is said and done, I need a DB that can cover the run, the pass, and make plays. I believe Brandon is that guy.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

2. #40 (round 2) - Quinn Pitcock, DT - The Ohio State University

Not a sexy pick, but a solid guy with a good motor, and the type of people that we need on D. He is someone with the "New England Patriot mentality" Thomas Johnson and Anthony Maddox as our future at DT concerns me. Weaver is not a long term solution, though I do like him. I believe Pitcock is good value here and adds to our young core of defensive players.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

3. #54 (round 2) - Ryan Harris, LT - University of Notre Dame

There aren't many top-tier Tackles available in this draft, and that is one of my weaknesses, especially now with Spencer and his unfortunate injury, I felt that I needed to address this position on the first day. Ryan Harris is a great athlete at the position and imo, can most definitely play LT at the pro level. He is a smart player with tons of experience, who still has good upside. He is a perfect fit in the ZBS, imo.

4. #61 (round 2) - Anthony Gonzalez, WR - The Ohio State University

Moulds is up there in age, and we were targeting a future wideout to compliment Andre Johnson, I think Anthony Gonzalez is a perfect fit who will boost the corps as a #3 while Moulds is around next season, but take over his spot as the #2 in years to come. I am excited to make this pick at the bottom of round 2.

5. #72 (round 3) - Drew Stanton, QB - Michigan State University

David Carr isnt exactly the most popular person in Houston right now. Gary Kubiak loves his QB to be mobile, and bootleg a lot, and that is what Stanton is. Stanton has all the tools to be a starter in the NFL, and will be a good backup to Carr when he eventually screws up and/or goes three games without throwing the ball more than five yards downfield. I felt we needed to address the QB position as there is no certainty that any of our current QB's make the opening day roster.

Trades -

1. Via Trade - Reuben Droughns, RB - Formerly of the Cleveland Browns

Reuben is a guy who was a 1200 yard back in Cleveland, and a 1200 yard back in Denver, under Gary Kubiak. I just thought that this move made sense, another former Bronco (since we love bringing in those former Broncos) that has had success under our Head coach. Droughs didnt have a great year last year, and the Browns had just drafted Adrian Peterson, so I got him for cheap. I think it is a worthwhile chance to take.

2. Via Trade - David Pittman, CB - Formrely of the Baltimore Ravens

A 3rd round pick last year, I got him for a mid-5th. Pittman has good potential and could be the future #2 opposite Dunta. I was looking for CB help and got it in a 23 year old player just off of his rookie season, who could very well be our nickel back next season.

3. Via Trade - Brian Russell, FS - Formerly of the Cleveland Browns

Safety depth.

4. Via Trade - Al Singleton, OLB - Formerly of the Dallas Cowboys

Throw in in a trade down deal.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

All those trades and stuff are pretty much never going to happen, but I like the players you got mostly in the draft. I don't think highly of Ryan Harris. I love Meriweather.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I dont deny that some of this wouldnt happen. But for the sake of argument, imagine that its possible and just assess what I did :)

Im a big Meriweather fan also, and like you, not a huge Harris fan, but with Spencer's injury, I wanted to address LT and Harris was the only worthwhile prospect there.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

I'll make my comments on Comahans draft. At least try to, can't really say much because we don't know who else is available, but I'll give it my best shot.

1st thing- I don't like that you traded out of the first rd. Okay, first I'll comment on the trades. Then I'll comment on the pick. You didn't tell us how you came about with all those extra picks. However you got us with the Bucs, Cowboys, Browns and Ravens picks. Three teams and only one pick of ours gone. Not only that, but you got a OLB from the Cowboys, RB and S from Browns and another S from the Ravens. I look at all these things and the thought that goes through my mind is how much better of a team did you make us. You may have worked out the value draft position wise, but talentwise I'm just not sold.

1st pick- Merriweather- Okay I'm not sold on this guy. He's got some talent, but he looked bad at the senior bowl. At the beginning of the season he was talked about as a top S talent, but now is really not being heard of. This yr. he just didn't show up as much and you add that to his character concerns I just don't know if he A) provides enough of an upgrade to warrant this pick. B) is a right fit character-wise on our team.

You also have Droughns on this pick which I'm not too fond of. We lack youth at the RB position and you got us an older RB. How much and how long could we expect him to keep performing at a consistent high level? Then you not only got droughns, but got another S. I know S may not be our strongest unit, but I think you're overdoing it with all the S's you bring in in this pick.

Overall I give this one a C I can't be more critical or whatnot, because I don't know what other talent was available when the pick was made.

2nd- Pitcock- No problem with this one, the guy may not be a huge penetrator, but he can cause alot of chaos up front and brings leadership skills to the table. Also hit on a need.

A- Again I don't know what else was there, but this pick is good.

3rd- Harris- Hmm, I think you reached for a position here. I'd have to go back and watch tape on Harris, but he never really jumped out at me or impressed me much. I guess your projection of his ceiling may justify the pick, but Spencer is making a good recovery and should be back soon. Spending a second rounder on possible depth. Nothing against it, just I don't think it's the best move. However you did also pick up Al Singleton on this trade as well.

B

4th- Gonzalez- A second Buckeye huh. I guess I could live with that. He does have the potential to be groomed as Moulds replacement and you brought in a CB as well.

A-

5th- Stanton- Not too high on this pick but to each his own. Third rd. I dunno man.

B-
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

I meant to say four teams. Lol. Sorry, just caught that myself.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin
1st pick- Merriweather- Okay I'm not sold on this guy. He's got some talent, but he looked bad at the senior bowl. At the beginning of the season he was talked about as a top S talent, but now is really not being heard of. This yr. he just didn't show up as much and you add that to his character concerns I just don't know if he A) provides enough of an upgrade to warrant this pick. B) is a right fit character-wise on our team.
Meriweather was probably the best DB at the senior bowl. He still was very good this season, people forget the U had an amazing defense. Character concerns are overblown.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

yea he had a great week at the senior bowl dont be biased and make things up because scott talked nothin bout postive things about him. He would be a great pick in the 2nd round but i hope he goes 1st to keep the U streak alive.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Okay, sorry, bad may have been too strong a word. He didn't look as impressive as one (me) would have hoped. As far as safeties go maybe. However I think Ross really did well and helped his stock alot.

Anyways talking about character concerns I don't think so. I mean they are really important. When he got involved in that brawl that put a big question mark on him for me. Not only the character implications, but his emotional control, if he lost it there how will he handle other similar situation's at the pro level? I think with any player you really have to make good judgement calls on them. I don't know Merriweather myself or anything, but his actions speak louder than words. Our team has a high standard when it comes to character and I just do not see him being the best fit on the team.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin
Okay, sorry, bad may have been too strong a word. He didn't look as impressive as one (me) would have hoped. As far as safeties go maybe. However I think Ross really did well and helped his stock alot.

Anyways talking about character concerns I don't think so. I mean they are really important. When he got involved in that brawl that put a big question mark on him for me. Not only the character implications, but his emotional control, if he lost it there how will he handle other similar situation's at the pro level? I think with any player you really have to make good judgement calls on them. I don't know Merriweather myself or anything, but his actions speak louder than words. Our team has a high standard when it comes to character and I just do not see him being the best fit on the team.
I don't know I would probably do the same thing he did. If a full fledged brawl starts happening in the middle of the field, I would jump in and fight alongside my teammates. There is nothing wrong with that IMO, he didn't start it. Look at what happens when there are fights in baseball, benches clear and everyone jumps in. That is the team dynamic, and while it may not have been the case had Merriweather not jumped into the fight he would have isolated himself from his teammates.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

true when a fight breaks out on a team you are going to jump in to protect your teamates. He got a lil crazy but when there are fights people become crazy and if he had just sat there he would have lost respected from his teamates but he did go a little to crazy but not like reddick he is crazy.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sure there are some blemishes in his past and there are no questions about that... But sometimes people change for the better... Im sure a lot of teams will be willing to give him a chance, maybe later than he should be taken, but there is no question he will be a good player...if he is there in the 2nd, and we havent taken a DB yet, Id certainly consider him as a FS...

On another note....would you guys be against going DL again in the first with a guy like Adams, Anderson, Okoye, Branch???
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Sure there are some blemishes in his past and there are no questions about that... But sometimes people change for the better... Im sure a lot of teams will be willing to give him a chance, maybe later than he should be taken, but there is no question he will be a good player...if he is there in the 2nd, and we havent taken a DB yet, Id certainly consider him as a FS...

On another note....would you guys be against going DL again in the first with a guy like Adams, Anderson, Okoye, Branch???
I wouldn't be, our defensive line needs some work, as does our secondary, if either is improved then it will help the other a great deal.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:24 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Bump

Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

This thread has been dead for a few days....lets get some activity going here

- Will Domanick Williams play at all next year?
- If not, are Dayne, Lundy, Taylor, and Gado good enough?
- Will Weaver suceed playing inside at DT if we get a first round DE to play opposite Mario?
- Do the Texans have a shot at any big name FA's? (Briggs, Clements, Samuel)
- Who do you want to be drafted?
- Any under the radar FA that interest you?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

- Will Domanick Williams play at all next year?-
I think he will play, but I don't see him being nearly as effective. Maybe we will do a sort of running back by committee thing. One thing is for sure we need to decrease his carries if we want him to make it through the season.

- If not, are Dayne, Lundy, Taylor, and Gado good enough?
I was never a fan of Ron Dayne this season, he's overweight and slow. Even in good games such as the Colts games he should have done even better. Several runs I remember watching him make it through the hole and then stumble and fall for a gain of about 7 or 8 when he should have had 15. What I think is a problem is that we have different aspects of running in each of the RB's, but none really excell. We have some power with Dayne, some quickness and cut ability with Lundy, with Taylor, and Gado is overall solid, but not a very punishing runner. We have a lot of mediocrity at the RB position, and certainly need to draft a RB, not necessarily in the first round, because we can get good value anywhere in the first 3 rounds for RB's.

- Will Weaver suceed playing inside at DT if we get a first round DE to
play opposite Mario?

I think so, the main problem with our DT's this season was starting one weak link. Maddox and Weaver I believe will be a solid duo if we can get a bigger stronger player at DE than Jason Babin who can tie up tackles and let our DT's go to work.

- Do the Texans have a shot at any big name FA's? (Briggs, Clements, Samuel)

I don't see us getting any big FA's this season, because honestly there aren't very many to be had. Any of the three that you listed would be an improvement, but the best pickup for our moneys worth in my opinion would be Ken Hamlin, he's a hard hitter and good in coverage. What I expect us to do is to pick up a few role players, such as a big run stuffing DT maybe Terdell Sands, maybe someone else.

- Who do you want to be drafted?

Gaines Adams, one because I'm a Clemson fan, and two because we need a legitimate starting caliber DE opposite Mario. Also having a three above average pass rushing DE rotation would wear down offensive lines as the game goes on, making us overall more effective. He is the kind of player who once he gets his hands on you you're going down. That's exactly what we need, wrapping up and tackling was a big problem for us this season. Laron Landry as well would be a good pick for us, I also like Timmons but that would be a huge reach for us.

- Any under the radar FA that interest you?

Well, Terdell Sands is one, Rod Hood of the Eagles is another. Having watched the Eagles closely as well, Hood would be a good addition for us. He could start opposite Dunta, and Dunta, Hood, Petey Faggins is a pretty good group.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime0506
true when a fight breaks out on a team you are going to jump in to protect your teamates. He got a lil crazy but when there are fights people become crazy and if he had just sat there he would have lost respected from his teamates but he did go a little to crazy but not like reddick he is crazy.
See I disagree with how the whole situation was handled. True they may have had provocation, but when my friends get in fights I try to break them up. I'm not going to just join them in a fight if there isn't a good reason and while on the surface it looks like he just reacted that's a reflection of him as a person. Character-wise Miami has a thuggish demeanor and it's something that most of their players are associated with. Had it been another team and he had been one of maybe 3 players involved he would be looked at in a different light. Just because the whole team jumped in doesn't really justify the individuals part in it.

Aside from that I'm just not sold on him. I think Griffith and Weddle would fit our schemes better. I can understand wanting him here, but I just don't think it benefits us the most.