Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 01-31-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Sure there are some blemishes in his past and there are no questions about that... But sometimes people change for the better... Im sure a lot of teams will be willing to give him a chance, maybe later than he should be taken, but there is no question he will be a good player...if he is there in the 2nd, and we havent taken a DB yet, Id certainly consider him as a FS...

On another note....would you guys be against going DL again in the first with a guy like Adams, Anderson, Okoye, Branch???
Yeah I can agree with a team taking a chance on him later, but I just don't think that team should be us in the second. I would hate to be kicking myself if he wasn't on the team after a short while because of off the field activity. It's just an unnecessary risk and I don't think we should run that risk with such an early pick.

I wouldn't be against it per se. If it happened I would support the decision, unless it was Branch. He seems to be a better fit in the 3-4 and I just don't think he'll be that good in the pro's. I like the prospects you listed in this order.

Anderson- Complete end, ideal size and speed, plays pass and run effectively.

Okoye- Very young with alot of upside on an already talented athlete. Fits in our system much better and would provide us with an interior presence.

Adams- Natural pass-rusher plays the run adequately, but doesn't really play it as well as one would hope. I don't really like the fact that he didn't attend the Senior bowl as I think he missed an opportunity and didn't show that much commitment to his future by doing so. Nitpicky I know, but still this put Okoye over him.

Branch- Already covered, I'm not sold on this guy. I felt the talent around him did alot for his performance.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This thread has been dead for a few days....lets get some activity going here

- Will Domanick Williams play at all next year?
- If not, are Dayne, Lundy, Taylor, and Gado good enough?
- Will Weaver suceed playing inside at DT if we get a first round DE to play opposite Mario?
- Do the Texans have a shot at any big name FA's? (Briggs, Clements, Samuel)
- Who do you want to be drafted?
- Any under the radar FA that interest you?
I don't think so. I wouldn't miss him if he didn't either. (What kind of team mate doesn't attend the games to at least show support. The guy didn't even watch any of the games this season to see how his "team mates" were doing.)

No they're not. They're good enough to complement a starting RB, but currently there isn't one on the team. Williams would meet that qualification, but until he steps on the field I don't consider him a Texan.

Maybe, the guy did a decent job, but I don't know how much better he can be. I mean an inside presence would have helped out the line, but we didn't have one. Weaver would do better than most of the guys we have, but we need the whole unit to step up. Our stunts were really ugly because our DT's couldn't get that much push and thinking that a DE would help in that department is a no go. While a DE would help the pass rush it won't do much good for Weaver's individual performance. However having said all that if he focuses on getting the nuances and bulk of a DT I feel he would make a bigger impact.

Yes, Clements currently lives in Praireland. He called in to the local sports station and said that playing for the Texans would be great, if they could make it happen. Cap wise we have the resources to get one top flight FA, one or two other supporting FA's and still afford our rookie class. The thing that hurts our cap space is the fact that we have so much dead money this off-season. However that money would be gone next off-season and you can't just look at the first yr. because you can backload contracts and make them work. We have a new cap expert and with old money moving on, new money should be available for the players we target. We have a shot at bringing in any FA. Question should be if we will.

BPA whoever that is when we pick thats who I want.

Terdel Sands has already been mentioned, I like him. Another not so under the radar guy is Correy Redding. Another Texas guy that is solid at his position. There's a few other guys I like, but I'll probably post them up later. Oh the FS from the Jags. I wouldn't mind picking him up to boost our secondary and take talent from a division rival Deon Grant. He's getting older, but could still make a big contribution and bring veteran leadership.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
UtepMiner

I have a question for Texans fans. If you had to pick 1 which player would you rather have, Laron Landry..or Reggie Nelson?

I'm at the Texans pick and AP, and Branch are both off the board.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
gunn
Rookie

gunn hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron
I have a question for Texans fans. If you had to pick 1 which player would you rather have, Laron Landry..or Reggie Nelson?

I would go ahead and pencil in Okoye for now.
gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
gunn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin

Yes, Clements currently lives in Praireland.
"Praireland"? It's Pearland. "First it's Peterson is from Houston" and now this. Are you sure you are from Houston?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron

Are Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson available?
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
morknolle
Rookie

morknolle hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
This thread has been dead for a few days....lets get some activity going here

- Will Domanick Williams play at all next year?
- If not, are Dayne, Lundy, Taylor, and Gado good enough?
- Will Weaver suceed playing inside at DT if we get a first round DE to play opposite Mario?
- Do the Texans have a shot at any big name FA's? (Briggs, Clements, Samuel)
- Who do you want to be drafted?
- Any under the radar FA that interest you?
I doubt it. He missed all last year with a sore knee (nothing structurally wrong with it) and at this point the pain in his knee is never going to get better. He may try to stick around longer to keep collecting a pay check, but at this point I think the team is going to look for a new feature back, so unless that plan ends up not working out and Davis learns to play with some pain then I don't think he'll be around, he's too expensive to keep around to play a couple games here and there and get limited action each time.

No they are not good enough. Ron Dayne churned out some good yardage this year and will still be around as a short yardage back, but he is far from a feature RB and no one fears any kind of big play threat out of him. Wali Lundy was ok at times, but overall he ran with poor vision and doesn't have much power and I don't think he can really be counted on to carry the running game. He also isn't much of a big play threat. Chris Taylor showed some ability in training camp and at the end of the season and he does have some big play potential, but he went undrafted and was sitting on the bench most of the year for a reason, I don't expect that he can carry this running game although I think he can contribute to the big picture. Samkon Gado was a disappointment this year. I personally thought he shuold have played over Dayne as he has some speed and quickness to him and runs with some power, but he was largely ineffective in games.

I don't like Weaver at DE because he gets no pass rush from out there and that is our main concern among our defensive front at this point. He is somewhat undersized right now to play full-time DT and may struggle holding up in there all season, but he's ok against the run inside and can actually provide some pass pressure from there. Unfortunately he has a shoulder injury now that will keep him from working out hard for several months so it will be hard for him to bulk up much this offseason. While he is a good player, he really isn't a good fit for our system, I'm not entirely sure why they brought him in. If Adrian Peterson was gone at #8 and Jamaal Anderson was there I'd probably go ahead and take him though, he can provide a good pass rush off the edge and is big enough to stand up to the run pretty well too, then I'd move Weaver inside and just deal with him being a little undersized there. If nothing else we can keep Payne, TJ, Malone, and Maddox around so we'd have a good rotation of DTs to help keep those guys fresh and healthy.

We might, although it will cost us as decent bit of money to bring any of them here and we don't have a whole lot of cap room to be tossing money around everywhere. I think we have the best shot at bringing in Nate Clements for a couple reasons: 1) I think Asante Samuel has passed him up as the most desirable CB free agent this offseason, 2) Nate Clements lives down here in the offseason, and 3) Eric Moulds is here and played with Clements before, so hopefully he can pump us up some to Nate. That said, Clements has expressed a desire to be paid at or near the top-paid CB in the league, and he isn't worth that so if he's expecting that kind of money then I don't overly expect to see him here. I don't know that we really need any of the big-name guys out there, we do need to try to bring in one starter on each side of the ball if possible and solidify some depth.

Adrian Peterson in the 1st round would be my top choice, Jamaal Anderson would be my 2nd choice, at this point probably Amobi Okoye would be my 3rd choice. Brandon Meriweather would be my top choice in the 2nd round, if Chris Houston somehow falls (which I'm really doubting at this point) then I'd definitely look at him in the 2nd too. If they're pretty sure Meriweather will end up falling to the 3rd round (I don't see it, but then again I didn't expect Eric Winston to fall there last year) then I'd be fine taking Houston in the 2nd (if he's there) and Meriweather in the 3rd. Peterson, Houston, and Meriweather would be an awesome draft.

I haven't looked at the free agent list much yet to know.
morknolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bumpppp

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin

Yes, Clements currently lives in Praireland.
"Praireland"? It's Pearland. "First it's Peterson is from Houston" and now this. Are you sure you are from Houston?
I don't remember ever claiming that I was, but yes I am. I don't really go by where people are from and I just toss it out when I think it's relevant, I don't go out of my way to check where the players are from. Sorry, also I never worked or read any reference to Pearland I've only heard it mentioned by ear so..... I guess sorry.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Does anybody else feel that Demeco got snubbed by the NFL? I mean first it was the ROY award that Young won and now it's the pro-bowl. I didn't complain about the ROY, but I don't think the pro-bowl thing is cool on any level. I mean he was the second reserve at MLB so when Lewis went out Ryans should have been the next one in line. Instead Bart Scott got selected, now I can respect that Scott has skills, however he's an OLB. I don't think it's right because now you have only one true MLB and all OLB's on the AFC squad. I know my complaining won't change anything, but am I the only one that thinks this is worthy of noting. I mean I think Ryans should have been the one going because he was the next MLB in line. I mean if a FS goes out is it fair to replace him with a CB because they all play in the secondary. I just think the replacing the MLB with an OLB instead of the next MLB isn't right.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:41 AM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

primetime0506 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

yea i understand what you mean bout the pro bowl, but they rookie of the year he won and so did vince young there now defense and offese rookie of the year so dont be to mad.
primetime0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Annnnnnd our division rivals win a superbowl.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

well we could say that we did beat a superbowl champ in the year they won it. Also that game sucked and new england should have one it hate the colts for life.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

vince young made the pro bowl how the hell did that happen i know he 'won games but man more int then tds if it went by winning games why isnt mcnair or brady someone like that but probowl is for a great season not just a good 5 game strech.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On Demeco, yeah he got snubbed. But Scott played MLB in a 3-4 on the number 1 D. Our D was bad, our team was bad. Therefore, Demeco wasn't getting in.

VY got in because a lot of QBs declined.

Primetime, I am disgusted that you like the Patriots.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:33 AM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

You guys need to start reppin' Mario Williams a little more, he is questioned too much for the #1 overall situation. Today, I saw some highlights of his season, AMAZING. Against the Jets, when he used the TE to tackle Leon Washington, by throwing him. Or just him bull rushing Petigout of NY, and it looked EASY! He will no doubt be worth the selection I think. Or have close watching Texans fans come to see different?
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIZZorDIE
You guys need to start reppin' Mario Williams a little more, he is questioned too much for the #1 overall situation. Today, I saw some highlights of his season, AMAZING. Against the Jets, when he used the TE to tackle Leon Washington, by throwing him. Or just him bull rushing Petigout of NY, and it looked EASY! He will no doubt be worth the selection I think. Or have close watching Texans fans come to see different?
Good enthusiasm, but I wouldn't say Mario was AMAZING, he was pretty solid though. For every big play he made there was a not-so-good play, many of which were rookie mistakes. He hopefully will turn out to be worth the pick, and he improved a lot over the season.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Mario played well this year but not "great"... He was one of the youngest rookies in his class so that bodes well for the future...He made some impressive plays....and seemed non existant on others....His consistancy is what was lacking I think...because on some plays he seemed to own the OL and at other times he was easily blocked 1 on 1...He has opportunities to get more sacks but just couldnt close in time...I hope this was his learning and adjustment year and next year he is going to explode and lead our D....
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mario made some amazing plays but he didn't have an amazing ROY. The above posters were right about him being inconsistenct. However, that's what we expected out him as a 21 year old rookie who just three years removed from high school. It didn't help that he started the season playing all four line positions and then had foot problems late in the season.

He's going to be a great one though.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Mario was solid, im looking forward to watching him grow, become more comfortable, and develop his technique, because once he does he could be dominant.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dominick Davis changed his last name to Williams he is is Dominick Williams now, is that old news because I just read that today.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

that is super old news like 2 or 3 months ago man
Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texans | Expected to pursue Plummer
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:02:15 -0800

Mike Mulligan and Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, report the Houston Texans are expected to target Denver Broncos QB Jake Plummer, who is expected to be released by the team this offseason. Texans coach Gary Kubiak was the offensive coordinator in Denver when Plummer signed there.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Not a huge Plummer fan, personally.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
gunn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan
Not a huge Plummer fan, personally.
Nor am I. But at the same time I'm not going to sit here and say that he isn't an upgrade over Carr. Carr's welcome in Houston has worn out.