Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It may not of been a sexy draft but it was a good one. The Texans do a great job of not reaching. According to Kubs they had some running backs on there draft board that came off before they picked and they did not reach for the next running back. The Texans had a good plan and they stuck to it.

Barwin was on a lot mocks going in the first so to get him where we did is a great value, on passing downs they will be able to bring him in and move Smith to rush the passer from the inside. We got a TE who can block and another one who is a great athlete who can be used in a lot of different ways. I really like the Cushing pick, they need someone to come in and lay some people out.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing I would have changed was we really need a safety and didn't adequately address that need. We should have taken Rashad Johnson, he would be an ideal FS for us.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If only Taylor Mays would have come out and we could have picked him and then get Berry in the '10 draft. I would wet my pants if that would have happened. I still think offense had the most value at #15 and hopefully Cushing can stay healthy and prove me wrong. We needed defense but Maclin and Wells would have been great value there. You have to admit that Maclin with AJ would be sweet. This draft seemed to be stacked more on the offensive side of the ball and not the defensive side. Barwin was good value but they passed on William Moore and Rashad Johnson when we clearly need help at that position. Then they let Jennings pass through their fingers round after round. Once the 6th round came, I dont see how you pass him up. I think the TE from Rice is going to have to move closer to the stadium. haha A 5 minute drive is just too long. I didnt watch any Rice games so I dont know too much about him. I think the Texans are to TE's as the Lions are to first round WR's. How many of them do we have, like 6? Another thing I was hoping for the Texans to do was to trade up in the 2nd round once Maualuga started falling like crazy. I think he could still play OLB and with the 2nd round pick it would be a good risk/reward when he lines up next to Cushing and Ryans.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:19 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...4570635420.txt

Seems as if you guys signed FB Boomer Grigsby. Says he will be primarily a special teams guy if he makes the club. What are the odds that he sticks around?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...4570635420.txt

Seems as if you guys signed FB Boomer Grigsby. Says he will be primarily a special teams guy if he makes the club. What are the odds that he sticks around?
If he makes the team it will have to be for special teams. Our fullback Vonta Leach is an absolute monster. I'm not too familiar with Boomer Grigsby, but you can always use a good special teamer, so we'll see how he fares during TC. What all do you know about him?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
If he makes the team it will have to be for special teams. Our fullback Vonta Leach is an absolute monster. I'm not too familiar with Boomer Grigsby, but you can always use a good special teamer, so we'll see how he fares during TC. What all do you know about him?
He was a stud in high school for Canton back here in Illinois. Went to Illinois State where he was a stud linebacker. The Chiefs drafted him in 2005 and his first two years he was primarily a special teamer. They moved him from linebacker to fullback before the 2007 season. He still played sparingly. In 2008 he was the opening day starter at fullback for the Dolphins, but was released after the first game and has been out of football since.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question for you Houston Texans fans. How was Fred Bennett last season? I thought he was going into the 2008 season as the starter alongside Dunta Robinson after a charmed rookie season, but it ended up being Jacques Reeves and Dunta Robinson instead. What happened? Did he underperform in camp? What about this upcoming season?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well...

I am not in love with the Texans draft. Cushing was a good pick considering what was left, but I was really hoping for a trade down. I hate the fact that they drafted an olb in the first round. For a 3-4 defense, that would be okay. But not for a 4-3 defense. I don't think a 4-3 olb is a playmaker.

I am not sold on the de position, opposite Mario. Granted, I would not have drafted one at 15, as the prospect I liked was gone. That is why I would have traded down. I have a fear that Cushing is a roid monster.

I am not in a position to question this team's drafting ability, as I think they usually do a good job. But the team comes out of this draft with a starting olb and a backup de? That is the best they could do???

I hope I am wrong.

Not a horrible draft (see Radiers). But I was not excited,

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Well...

I am not in love with the Texans draft. Cushing was a good pick considering what was left, but I was really hoping for a trade down. I hate the fact that they drafted an olb in the first round. For a 3-4 defense, that would be okay. But not for a 4-3 defense. I don't think a 4-3 olb is a playmaker.

I am not sold on the de position, opposite Mario. Granted, I would not have drafted one at 15, as the prospect I liked was gone. That is why I would have traded down. I have a fear that Cushing is a roid monster.

I am not in a position to question this team's drafting ability, as I think they usually do a good job. But the team comes out of this draft with a starting olb and a backup de? That is the best they could do???

I hope I am wrong.

Not a horrible draft (see Radiers). But I was not excited,
I wasn't a big fan of the Cushing pick at the time, but we really did need a SLB. He should be a good fit there for us. He's a big dude and strong as hell so he should be a very tough blocking assignment for any TE, so at the very least he should be quite good against the run.

I was hoping for Orakpo to fall to us, but getting Barwin in the second was a great pick in my opinion. He's an athletic freak, and if he gets a few seasons to work on his technique and observe, he could be a very good starting DE.

Antoine Caldwell was a decent pick in the third. I'd have preferred a safety there, but C was definitely a need.

I also really liked the James Casey pick in the 5th. He's a versatile player and can help give us a variety of different looks on offense, such as the wildcat.

Other than that I was not impressed. While this wasn't a terrible draft, I agree it could have been a whole lot better.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Question for you Houston Texans fans. How was Fred Bennett last season? I thought he was going into the 2008 season as the starter alongside Dunta Robinson after a charmed rookie season, but it ended up being Jacques Reeves and Dunta Robinson instead. What happened? Did he underperform in camp? What about this upcoming season?
Well, Bennett began the season as a starter, but was not nearly as good this year as he was the season before. Bennett was one of my favorite CB's in the 07 draft, but his play definitely suffered when Dunta went down with injury and he had increased responsibility.

It's a mystery to me why the Texans like Jacques Reeves so much. Besides speed, he has very little else to offer. Despite his speed, Reeves just isn't a good cover guy. He got picked on quite a bit this season, and while he broke up a lot of passes and nabbed 4 picks, he was not very good.

I greatly prefer Fred Bennett and hope he wins back his starting spot at CB this season. If he has a good training camp, it is very possible.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked this draft. Very solid. I don't get why cushing is bothered so much by steroid rumors. the guy did an anti-steroid thing a while back and never tested positive, including this last time where he and Matthews were supposed to be juiced. I like that pick and hope he's a solid Texan for yrs. to come. I'm not just saying that cuz I got his autograph..... I mean it. Joking aside LB and Secondary were the units that could most easily be upgraded. With NO snatching up Jenkins right in front of us I think this was the best pick. We needed help against the run and just with his frame at 262 I'm betting the number of ballcarriers falling forward for 3-4 yds. will be reduced.

Barwin may be a huge steal. Yeah he only played that position for one yr., but that potential is what really makes him a steal. I imagine him being a Mathis type speed rusher. With his athletism though, I think as he progresses and gets more time he'll be a rotational player who can drop into coverage.

Center and Guard depth and quality.... check.

Some people are high on Boomer Grigsby because of his name, but really he's gonna have a hard time with Leach and Hill right there. Hill looks like he could step in at the fullback position with ease when called upon and Casey could split into the slot or wide with ease. Both of these guys add to our allready talented receiving Core. I'm sorry, but taking Maclin wouldn't have really improved our team as much as our pick would have warranted.

Overall I think we did a great job this yr.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:11 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
I liked this draft. Very solid. I don't get why cushing is bothered so much by steroid rumors. the guy did an anti-steroid thing a while back and never tested positive, including this last time where he and Matthews were supposed to be juiced. I like that pick and hope he's a solid Texan for yrs. to come. I'm not just saying that cuz I got his autograph..... I mean it. Joking aside LB and Secondary were the units that could most easily be upgraded. With NO snatching up Jenkins right in front of us I think this was the best pick. We needed help against the run and just with his frame at 262 I'm betting the number of ballcarriers falling forward for 3-4 yds. will be reduced.

Barwin may be a huge steal. Yeah he only played that position for one yr., but that potential is what really makes him a steal. I imagine him being a Mathis type speed rusher. With his athletism though, I think as he progresses and gets more time he'll be a rotational player who can drop into coverage.

Center and Guard depth and quality.... check.

Some people are high on Boomer Grigsby because of his name, but really he's gonna have a hard time with Leach and Hill right there. Hill looks like he could step in at the fullback position with ease when called upon and Casey could split into the slot or wide with ease. Both of these guys add to our allready talented receiving Core. I'm sorry, but taking Maclin wouldn't have really improved our team as much as our pick would have warranted.

Overall I think we did a great job this yr.
Agreed on Maclin, we are set at WR. We could use his return ability, but that's way too early to draft a return man. Cushing could be the thumper we need in the run game.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
parrish_lemar24DBSkins
Veteran

parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Got a dollar bet that says Barwin ends up being more of an impact player in 3 years than Cushing.

DOn't be surprised in Barwin turns into something really special in the league, at either OLB or DE.

Playing in a front 7 with Mario Williams is gonna make one of those dudes a star.

Also, Derrick Thomas, Wilbur Marshall, Lawrence Taylor, etc. were all impact pass rushing OLBs at one time in a 4-3.
The 3-4 defense may be in vogue now in the league, but if you have the personnel, an athletic 4-3 OLB can be a game-changer.
parrish_lemar24DBSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of Cushing. I've heard he's been incredibly rude towards staff members of the team. And he shaves his legs.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
parrish_lemar24DBSkins
Veteran

parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Agreed. I'm not a fan of Cushing. I've heard he's been incredibly rude towards staff members of the team. And he shaves his legs.
LOL!!!

Priceless.
parrish_lemar24DBSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
And he shaves his legs.

It's cuz he doesn't want his leg hair to get caught in his surfwax while he's crashing gnarly waves, brah.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish_lemar24DBSkins View Post
Got a dollar bet that says Barwin ends up being more of an impact player in 3 years than Cushing.

DOn't be surprised in Barwin turns into something really special in the league, at either OLB or DE.

Playing in a front 7 with Mario Williams is gonna make one of those dudes a star.

Also, Derrick Thomas, Wilbur Marshall, Lawrence Taylor, etc. were all impact pass rushing OLBs at one time in a 4-3.
The 3-4 defense may be in vogue now in the league, but if you have the personnel, an athletic 4-3 OLB can be a game-changer.
I'll take that bet.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:39 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Default Off topic

I know but I wanted to get you guys take on this. What do you guys think about Vince Young after his recent actions?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know but I wanted to get you guys take on this. What do you guys think about Vince Young after his recent actions?
I still love VY even though he's an idiot.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

So I dunno whatever happened to Mario's or Demeco's site, but it looks like our new rook has his own site now. Check it out if your interested @ http://www.briancushing56.com/ Also just a month away from when my football sense'll start tingling. Ahhhhhh!! I feel like I'm going crazy w/out football. I'm getting a new DVR this yr.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

You can also find Eric Winston blogging on there. You can check him out at http://www.playerpress.com/ and follow to his site. ..... Yeah, I'm bored.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

here's another link for y'all. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/HOU
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I will never understand why people keep pulling for this guy... He is a BUST... He will be known as a great college QB and a screw up in the NFL.

Its really hard to understand why Owen Daniels contract has not been taken care of, i know i have no clue whats going on between Smith and Owen's agent but we really need this guy out there. What really screwed the Texans with Owen is the contract that KW2 got, and he is not as good as Owen is.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

There's mixed reports, cuz on the radio they say O.D. turned down a contract while the newspaper claims it's because no progress was made. An offer sheet was supposed to be given to him. I think I'll believe the paper for now. However seeing this I gotta wonder same as y'all, wtf is the F.O. doing. An offer was supposed to be made last weekend and it wasn't, I can't blame Daniels right now. I just hope Smith isn't letting the wheels fall off.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Rex Ryans is coming to visit. Thoughts? Rosenhaus says he expects a 1yr. deal.