Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is an article on profootballtalk.com about if we lose to the Radiers this sunday that it could be the end of Kubs. How do y'all feel about Kubs? IMO he has a ton of talent that he is not even close to getting the full potential out of. If he could get all these guys on the same page and get them playing at the level they r capable of then we would be a playoff team for sure. If we miss the playoffs a change has to be made, i wouldnt make any moves in mid season though.

Reeves was supposed to go this sunday but he broke his finger.....
Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmt2500 View Post
There is an article on profootballtalk.com about if we lose to the Radiers this sunday that it could be the end of Kubs. How do y'all feel about Kubs? IMO he has a ton of talent that he is not even close to getting the full potential out of. If he could get all these guys on the same page and get them playing at the level they r capable of then we would be a playoff team for sure. If we miss the playoffs a change has to be made, i wouldnt make any moves in mid season though.

Reeves was supposed to go this sunday but he broke his finger.....
I like alot of the things that he's done, but he lacks alot of flexibility. Each yr. we've started off playing poorly under him. Last yr. we were crushed by the Steelers and this yr. by the Jets. It's not the score or anything, but we always seem to start off unprepared. This yr. we made changes on the defensive side. (Which I didn't really understand at the time.)(I mean c'mon, we could have gotten Greg Williams and instead we promoted Bush. I dunno.) Anyways, in all Kubiaks time here he's never been good with clock management, challenges, and most important of all half-time adjustments. This yr. the trend doesn't seem any different. I don't understand, because we now have good players on defense. Maybe not the secondary, but our production isn't there.

I feel Kubiak should be on his way out. Unless he makes some drastic changes. He should finish out the season, but his performance as a coach has been mediocre... at best. I like him as a person, but he just seems to be in over his head.

That sucks about Reeves, but really I think it's on Smith that we are so horrible @ the secondary. We knew we needed CB, S, and DT help. Yet the moves we made didn't really bolster any of those positions. Pollard was out there for a while. We should have picked him up sooner. Chris McAllister is out there as are other CB's and honestly the whole secondary could be upgraded. Yet we sat pat all during the offseason. If Kubiaks gone I don't see Smith here much longer either.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah the Smith hiring was awful as was the hiring of David Gibbs the DB coach from KC.... Why hire any coach from KC, i know he is your buddies son, but come on...
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

I dont want to get to excited over this win since it was Oakland. But the D looked really good, the changes with Pollard and Quinn starting seemed to be the right move. I cant get over how good Cushing looks, I know its early but i think its safe to say we have the defensive rookie of the year.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will agree with the Cushing comment. I hate drafting an olb in a 4-3 in the first round. An olb in a 4-3 is usually not a huge playmaker, unless you get someone like Lance Briggs. But Cushing is making a difference. i will admit I was wrong about him.

As far as Kubiak, I am not done with him yet. I like his personel moves (not all of them, but most of them). I don't think this team has quite the talent that some do. I think he is doing okay with what he has.

There are two major needs I see. One would be a playmaker in the secodary. The other is a pass rusher other than Mario. If you can't get another pass rusher, I think everything else is a moot point.

And as far as beating the Raiders-no one should get excited about this. I think every team in the league should beat the Raiders up! The defense looked good you say? Well, you are playing a team that has a quarterback that usually throws for less than a 45 percent completion percentage....

If any other quarterback in the league throws that poorly, it is highlighted on sportscenter. Even Vick and Young did better than that! Any team should beat up the Raiders.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 10-25-2009 at 01:37 AM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also- the statement that "it's safe to say we have the defensive rookie of the year." There is a guy that plays for the rams tham might have something to say about that. Maybe Cushing is DROY, but it is by no means a safe statement yet!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Yeah Russell sucks, but they do have some good runners and we held the team to 45 rushing yards, McFadden to -6. After the last few weeks that is huge for this D. And the "guy" from the rams, does not play at the same high level that Cushing does, there is just no one else on that team that can make tackles.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yay, another victory. Ahh, it feels good to win. Even if it's against the Raiders, lol. I hate to do it, but here are some thoughts on the game.

The good; Glover Quin and Bernard Pollard, both showed solid tackling technique and played their responsibilities well, once we get Reeves and Wilson back our secondary should improve. Antonio Smith and Amobi Okoye, both have been playing well, but it was nice to see them finally get to where they were going. Linebackers, once again I'm loving Cushing. Ryans and Diles are as always Solid. I'm impressed by their coverage skills.

The bad; Our interior line is getting beat up. They allow entirely to much penetration. We opened up a few lanes in the first half. The second half however showed how bad we are. Their D-tackle led the team in tackles. Schaub, he's holding on to the ball to long and making poor decisions. I don't wanna pull my hair out citing specific things, so I'll just leave it at this.

The ugly; Fred Bennett......

I'm really disappointed in D-rob, I dunno why he's diving at people so much, he takes bad angles at times and diving keeps him from actually making the play. He's getting paid top CB money, but at the moment he's not even playing like a #1 corner. Aside from the chop that caused a fumble in the Jags game he hasn't done anything that has stood out.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Yay, another victory. Ahh, it feels good to win. Even if it's against the Raiders, lol. I hate to do it, but here are some thoughts on the game.

The good; Glover Quin and Bernard Pollard, both showed solid tackling technique and played their responsibilities well, once we get Reeves and Wilson back our secondary should improve. Antonio Smith and Amobi Okoye, both have been playing well, but it was nice to see them finally get to where they were going. Linebackers, once again I'm loving Cushing. Ryans and Diles are as always Solid. I'm impressed by their coverage skills.

The bad; Our interior line is getting beat up. They allow entirely to much penetration. We opened up a few lanes in the first half. The second half however showed how bad we are. Their D-tackle led the team in tackles. Schaub, he's holding on to the ball to long and making poor decisions. I don't wanna pull my hair out citing specific things, so I'll just leave it at this.

The ugly; Fred Bennett......

I'm really disappointed in D-rob, I dunno why he's diving at people so much, he takes bad angles at times and diving keeps him from actually making the play. He's getting paid top CB money, but at the moment he's not even playing like a #1 corner. Aside from the chop that caused a fumble in the Jags game he hasn't done anything that has stood out.
Our secondary needs a major overhaul, plain and simple. I like what Glover Quin has shown so far, but we really need to stop completely ignoring the secondary. We need to bring in some FA's and invest top draft picks in a safety and cornerback.

As for our line, we need to try some other options on the interior. I like
Studdard and think he can develop into a mauler given time and experience. Anything would be better than the false start penalty machine Chester Pitts. Chris Myers at center is not the answer either. He did well last season by not allowing a sack, but he has been getting manhandled and cannot anchor against more powerful DT's so far this season. I don't know why we are keeping Antoine Caldwell inactive, he could be an absolute beast if given the chance to start at either center or guard. I'm not a fan of Mike Brisiel either.

As for Fred Bennett, it pains me to say it, but he has been playing like crap since after his rookie season. He was one of my favorite players in his draft class, and I hope he can turn it around soon.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

One thing that bothers me about D-Rob, besides the missed tackles, is that he is not playing anywhere near the line. I want to see him jam people at the line, give our D line a chance to get to the QB instead of allowing these quick throws. He is not playing physical enough, maybe saving his body for free agency. I would like to see Pollard and Quinn in the lineup again. And Fred Bennett is Faggins 2.0.

I would also like to see Caldwell, but isnt he hurt????

Cushing missed practice with flu like symptoms, but should practice tomorrow, and we signed Chris Henry to the practice squad. I think Henry can be a decent back, he got lost behind Johnson and White.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Henry could be a suprise pickup for y'all. If he just plays and stops thinking he will be fine; he has legit size and speed. Could work well in that zone blocking system.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

I am not impressed with the Henry signing. And I will tell you why...

I have followed the draft for twenty years now, longer than anyone I know personally. I have notes on every draft since '89. Not saying I have got all the picks right (See Skyler Green-Cowboys, Quentin Griffin-Broncos for proof). I have had some really bad opinions in the past.

But Henry was nothing but a workout warrior. He had every chance to do something in Tennesse. And for that matter, in college! He couldn't even start in college! But he is big and ran a fast forty. So he got drafted.

There is a long list of college guys just like him. I am not saying I wouldn't sign him when the texans did, I would have! But to think he will do something is wishfull thinking. Chris Brown, when health, is a better back. And he proved it in college and the pros. And, for the record, Chris Brown is big and fast, too!

So was Charles Rogers, Tony Mandrich (spelling not correct, I am sure)

Old 10-11-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

2nd and 1 from the 1 and you cant get in......
Old 10-11-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Wow, man, just wow. We could have taken this game. Dammit. I'm so disappointed. I.... I think I need to unwind a little more. I'll probably post more thoughts on this game later. Just wow.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

This last game was hard to swallow. The first half our offense was pedestrian. I know they lit it up in the second half, but man we put up with to many mistakes from Schaub, I thought Grossman was gonna be in the second half. I thought maybe I was wrong before Schaub tossed the int. and overthrew Dressen. I don't think our running game was so pedestrian that we had to abandon it in the second half. Myer's should have lost his starting job after this game. How many muffed snaps have we had with him now?

Now some positives. AJ is a muthafreaking monster. I loved how he fought for those TD's. Our special teams are hitting their stride again. I thought both runs could have gone to the house. Our D played well in the 1st half and lights out the second half. I know we could still improve. We need our secondary to jam harder at the line of scrimmage there were too many three step drops in the first half. I'm still loving Cushing, it was awesome how even though he had a 300 some pounder on him he didn't let go of Warners legs. Reeves first game back and already looking like our best corner. I missed you Reeves and didn't really know it until this weekend.

I wish we had won this game and I know we could have. I gotta give credit to Arizona, because they stepped up and stopped us when they needed to. Next week it's off to Cinci. Man the Bengals look tough. I'm thinking about writing a preview for this game. I think we can take it.

GO TEXANS!!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

What bothers me the most about the Texans right now is that at times we look like one of the best teams in the league, and at times we look like the worst. I chalk it up to a lack of good coaching. If Kubs and his coaches can find a way to get this team playing at a high level all game long and not just for a couple of quarters then we can still be a playoff team.

Reeves did look like an improvment but i am really impressed with Quinn, for a rookie he is playing some good football. And i think Andre proved who the best WR in the league is. I am big on Schaub but come on, that Int was awful. He has been really inaccurate at times this year, i mean really off. If it wasnt for that int we would be 3-2.

I am very dissapointed so far this year, but i have seen enough 2 believe that our season is not over yet. If we can beat a hot team like Cincy then that could get us jumpstarted for the rest of the season.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

We finally looked like a playoff team..... What a great game.....
Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

That is 3 weeks in a row that are defense has shut down the run game. I was really impressed all around with this win. The offense looks like one of the best in the league, and the defense is playing pretty well.

Reeves looked really good, i am very glad to have him back. Dunta had a nice hit but once again looked bad in coverage. Cushing, wow, 2 forced fumbles and a int.

Schaub looked really good. On his INT im not sure if Walter wasnt supposed to cut or if Schaub just threw a bad pass. It looks like Andre and Owen will be going back to the pro bowl. I like how they are using Slaton, getting him the ball in the open field.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Man I really wanna be optimistic for this game.... but our up and down performances are killing me. I dunno which team is gonna show up. I'm glad about our win at Cincy, but when they lost their best pass rusher and starting DT.... I dunno. This game can go either way. Man, I really hope we win. I really hope we're solid.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Guess I am drinking the cool-aid. I think the Texans are a MUCH better team than the forty niners. The niners have a better defensive backfield, but if you go position by position I will more likely than not take the Texans players.

There are a few exceptions, but where it counts I think the Texans are better.

If the good Texans team shows up, I think the niners are gonna get run out of the stadium. If the bad Texans show up, I think it will be close.

I will take the Texans, 27-13. How is that for putting them out there?

In trying to see why the teams are close, I am having a hard time. Shaun Hill doesn't scare me, and neither does any of the receivers on the niners. Shut down Gore and this one is over already.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Man, I wish there were more Texans fans on here. After a win, no one wants to talk. This team is making strides, but can't find anyone who cares.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Man, I wish there were more Texans fans on here. After a win, no one wants to talk. This team is making strides, but can't find anyone who cares.
We've never had a huge fanbase on this site. There's a few other ppl on here that never post in here. Comahan is one who used to post way back when, then Mario Palmer, who's always talking about Mario. Anyhoo, I care. JJMT posts regularly now so I think he cares too. Just be patient when the Texans start winning consistently more ppl will start posting. cunningham posts here once in a while 2, his main team is the Eagles though. I'll post some more in a little while, but I gotta go take care of something right now.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep, our fanbase isn't the biggest, but we are a proud group. I remember when it was just me, America, and Datchapin posting. I'm very glad we won, but we need to be more than just a one half team. We played a great first half and then didn't do much at all in the second. We need to play the full 60 minutes otherwise teams better than the 49ers are going to come back and win.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WOO Great Win Guys!!! (If I wasn't a Lions fan I'd be a Texans fan I like how they draft.)

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

It would be very nice 2 have more people on our board. Well a win is a win I guess. And the 49ers are a pretty good team but come on, alex smith looked like a pro bowler against our dbs. It looked 2 me that the 49ers came out and ran a offense that we did not plan for. The front 7 looks great against the run, shut down another back. Mario may not be getting the sacks this year but he is playing great against the run.

slaton is gonna have 2 find a way to hang onto the ball. Schaub is not on the manning brees level but he is on the level just below. Owen looks like he is quickly becoming the best in the league at his position. I don't remember us being over 500 in mid season