Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
Are their any other Free Agents out there at any position that y'all think could help the Texans?
To get away from the D for a minute. I would like to see us get a good number 2 WR. Walter and Jones dropped sooooo many balls last year, it was horrible.

If Carolina Steve Smith is getting released, It would be a dream come true to have him on one side and AJ on the other. No team could double. Not sure if SS would be cool with being a number 2.

Also I believe Steve Breaston is a free agent, he would be a nice 2 for us, not sure what the story with his knee is.

I know before the lockout started there was talk about us and one other team(I dont remember who) tampering with Mike Sims-Walker. I guess nothing came of it??? But I dont know if I would like this move or not, he has a crappy QB and still puts up decent numbers, maybe with a QB like Schaub he could be a star. Not sure about his attitude, although I think playing with AJ would straighten him up.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All things being equal, I wouldn't spend any money on offense. The only exception is if a really talented guy can be had for a small amount of money. I am just not sure this happens in free agency anymore. I am sure there are some examples, as there are always examples for the exception to any rule. But generally it seems to me that teams overpay in free agency.

I would take a look at defense first, and special teams second. And I wouldn't spend a bunch on one player, either. I think the keys to a good off season for the Texans this year are get the players needed for the switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 (which I think they did a very good job of in the draft) and raise the level of competition at all defensive positions. Raising the level of competition on defense will translate to a better record.

To be honest I think this team is ready to go, personnel wise. Indy will be a problem every year till Peyton stops playing, but I think the Texans did a much better job of staying competitive in their division than their rivals did (save maybe Indy.)

If they didn't get anyone in free agency, I wont sweat it one bit. Obviously, I would like them to sign a few guys. But if they don't I still see this as a team ready to give anyone a good fight. I just want the darn season to start already. I have very high hopes this year. As long as the lockout ends soon so that our defense can learn the new system, I will be betting on the Texans this year. For the first time, I don't have a lot of concerns.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Johnson gave an interview to John McClain pleading for the Texans to resign Vonte Leache. I LOVE this. What AJ wants AJ gets, so hopefully Rick Smith does the right thing and keep AJ happy by resigning Vonte.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:12 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All he wants is a deal bigger than Leonard Weaver, so Maybe a 3 or 4 year deal averaging $4 million a year could get it done.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:24 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

$4 million a year? Holly Crap! That seems like a lot of money for a lead blocker.

Seems like you could pay a lot less for some young guy to go bang his head into the first defender available.

I am by no means saying that Leach isn't worth it. I don't really know if he is. It is possible that salaries have passed me by, as I usually don't pay enough attention to what players make. I guess I simply don't know if this would be money well spent.

If money wasn't a consideration, I would do it in a heartbeat. He is obviously among the best in the world at what he does, and has earned a big contract. I didn't think a big contract for a fullback was that high, though.

But money always is a consideration, especially with this team. If he demands that much, I will not be surprised to see him in a different uniform next year.

I guess on face value, I would be leery of giving that much. Fullback is a dying breed. I bet we can get him for less than $4 mill.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
$4 million a year? Holly Crap! That seems like a lot of money for a lead blocker.

Seems like you could pay a lot less for some young guy to go bang his head into the first defender available.

I am by no means saying that Leach isn't worth it. I don't really know if he is. It is possible that salaries have passed me by, as I usually don't pay enough attention to what players make. I guess I simply don't know if this would be money well spent.

If money wasn't a consideration, I would do it in a heartbeat. He is obviously among the best in the world at what he does, and has earned a big contract. I didn't think a big contract for a fullback was that high, though.

But money always is a consideration, especially with this team. If he demands that much, I will not be surprised to see him in a different uniform next year.

I guess on face value, I would be leery of giving that much. Fullback is a dying breed. I bet we can get him for less than $4 mill.
I could see a 3 year 13 million $ deal. Contracts have been inflating at an astronomical rate so I think we might have to push 4$ mil.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

I think Foster would be the first to tell you that he would of not come close to 1600 yards without Leache. Not only is he a beast on the field he is amazing in the locker room. You will never find another FB like him again. Even if FB is a dying breed our system requires one, so why not pony up and pay the best in the league.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmt2500 View Post
I think Foster would be the first to tell you that he would of not come close to 1600 yards without Leache. Not only is he a beast on the field he is amazing in the locker room. You will never find another FB like him again. Even if FB is a dying breed our system requires one, so why not pony up and pay the best in the league.
Exactly, and it's not like it's an enormous contract either, so he won't be taking up a lot of cap space. It's just not a position where you usually invest so much.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Those are all good points. If the money is there, I am okay with it. I don't want to lose him, for sure. All of yall's points are good ones, filled with merit. I just want the defense to be better. As long as the money is there, I definitely want him back.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Need to get something going on here...

I have heard of a few teams doing lock out work outs, but havent heard anything about us. Does anyone know if any of the Texans are doing these workouts?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

I can't remember anything specific, but I think I read in the paper Demeco was working on getting something together.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

I read today on John McClain's chat on chron.com that Schaub has put together OTAs and mini camps for the players, and that no team has done more than the Texans this offseason.

http://blog.chron.com/nfl/2011/06/lo...y-at-1130-a-m/
Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I read today on John McClain's chat on chron.com that Schaub has put together OTAs and mini camps for the players, and that no team has done more than the Texans this offseason.

http://blog.chron.com/nfl/2011/06/lo...y-at-1130-a-m/
Of course McClain is going to say that. These workouts are very insignificant in my opinion. Players cannot replicate training camp, especially when putting in a new offense or defense.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Of course McClain is going to say that. These workouts are very insignificant in my opinion. Players cannot replicate training camp, especially when putting in a new offense or defense.
I agree 100% but its good to see they are doing something and that Schaub is being a leader.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think they are very significant. Would you prefer your guys went all summer without them? I don't think their intended to replicate training camp, I think the lockout will be lifted to still have TC, besides you can wear pads and hit during that time, these are all short workouts.

What their doing isn't much different from OTA's and mini camps. Guys in shorts, running plays. Mostly for conditioning and skill position players. I looked into alot of these workouts, that veterans bring in a speed, conditioning, or strength coach to come in and run the programs so guys are still getting into good shape.

There usually isn't much physicality going on at this time of year even without the lockout, other then rookies really and that's still in shorts. July is the big month when you want guys to get a full training camp in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I think they are very significant. Would you prefer your guys went all summer without them? I don't think their intended to replicate training camp, I think the lockout will be lifted to still have TC, besides you can wear pads and hit during that time, these are all short workouts.

What their doing isn't much different from OTA's and mini camps. Guys in shorts, running plays. Mostly for conditioning and skill position players. I looked into alot of these workouts, that veterans bring in a speed, conditioning, or strength coach to come in and run the programs so guys are still getting into good shape.

There usually isn't much physicality going on at this time of year even without the lockout, other then rookies really and that's still in shorts. July is the big month when you want guys to get a full training camp in.
Obviously I'm glad they're doing something, but most every team is doing a little bit, and they'd be working out on their own anyways. It's useful for a quarterback and receivers to get their timing down. And maybe you could say it helps DB's work on their coverage.

The major issue here is there are no coaches installing the new defense, which is the main area of concern. The front seven won't get any real constructive work done. OTA's are for getting the playbook down and that's hardly happening so I can't see these being too productive other than from a team bonding standpoint.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Supposedly everyone on the D has a playbook.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

How do you guys feel about the fact that Rick Smith isnt going to give Foster a bigger contract before the season starts? I think he is going to make 480,000 this season. Which is a crap load more than I make, but very low for a starting RB.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm ready for the lockout to be over.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm also excited to see what the Texans look at with Free Agency.

Still think that CB Jonathan Joseph/Ike Taylor and S Michael Huff would be SWEET additions to the Texans..
Old 07-16-2011, 01:41 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

I like this interview with Shiloh Keo, he seems like a real likeable guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ingitFy5KEs
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
I'm also excited to see what the Texans look at with Free Agency.

Still think that CB Jonathan Joseph/Ike Taylor and S Michael Huff would be SWEET additions to the Texans..
I'm a big Jonathan Joseph fan, I'd love to see us bring him in. I also want to believe Michael Huff can still reach his potential.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
I'm a big Jonathan Joseph fan, I'd love to see us bring him in. I also want to believe Michael Huff can still reach his potential.
You can believe all you want but he is in the same bust boat as his buddy VY, and they are probably partying on this boat with a group of dudes with no shirts on and no females. Besides Eric Weddle is a FA, that needs to be target number 2 for us.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You can believe all you want but he is in the same bust boat as his buddy VY, and they are probably partying on this boat with a group of dudes with no shirts on and no females. Besides Eric Weddle is a FA, that needs to be target number 2 for us.
I would love for us to get Weddle. I agree he'd be better than Huff, which I hate because Huff is one of my favorite Horns. But Weddle would be a stud for us playing next to Quinn. He doesn't play the run like Bernard Pollard but he'd sure be a heck of a lot better in deep coverage.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Quote:
I would love for us to get Weddle. I agree he'd be better than Huff, which I hate because Huff is one of my favorite Horns. But Weddle would be a stud for us playing next to Quinn. He doesn't play the run like Bernard Pollard but he'd sure be a heck of a lot better in deep coverage.
Its really going to be nice not having to worry if Pollard is in coverage or not anymore. I still cant believe how awful he was this past year. Which is unfortunate b/c i really liked the attitude and anger that he brought to the team.