Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Stephen Hill is an Ok choice. His risk/reward is pretty good. But he does have fairly high bust potential, so we need to keep that in mind. I am just as easily enamored with 40's at the combine. But they really don't tell much by themselves.

For some reason, I would rather not take him in the first. But I understand why he would be taken, and I wouldn't be too upset about it. I just get worried about the lack of stats. It' isn't his fault, I realize that. But all things being equal, I would much rather have a lot more catches.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who would you rather have: Kendall Wright, Jonathan Martin or Nick Perry.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Who would you rather have: Kendall Wright, Jonathan Martin or Nick Perry.
I would rather have Kendall Wright. But knowing the way the Texans like to draft, Im sure the other 2 would be more of a possibility.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With DeMeco out does this make room for a possible Dont'a Hightower selection? In a lot of ways, he seems a lot similar to DeMeco.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
With DeMeco out does this make room for a possible Dont'a Hightower selection? In a lot of ways, he seems a lot similar to DeMeco.
He isn't getting by Pittsburgh at 24, and I think you guys can find a serviceable LB maybe in the 3/4. What's your opinion on Houston's biggest need? WR, RT or OLB?

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
He isn't getting by Pittsburgh at 24, and I think you guys can find a serviceable LB maybe in the 3/4. What's your opinion on Houston's biggest need? WR, RT or OLB?
WR is the bigger need but value at our pick would be geared towards LB like Dont'a Hightower or Nick Perry and even OT with Jonathan Martin and Mike Adams. I am just not that big of a Reuben Randle fan. Bob McNair won't take a chance on a guy like Michael Floyd even if he was available. The punch thrown by Alshon Jeffery in the bowl game may have taken him off the list for the Texans as well. That leaves Kendall Wright left. I don't know too much about him since I always focussed on RGIII when I watched Baylor. If it were me, I would rather take Jonathan Martin/Dont'a Hightower and then Sanu in the 2nd round.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR is the biggest need, but I would agree that it most likely is not the best value.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Anyone excited about Brady James becoming a Texican?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Anyone excited about Brady James becoming a Texican?
Yes... I know he had a down year, but under Wade he lead the team in tackles for 3 or so years in a row. He is a good character guy who does a lot of charity work.

He could be more productive than Ryans was last year and for a lot less money.

Im excited to see who will win the starting job between him and Sharpton.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think Stephen Hill is an Ok choice. His risk/reward is pretty good. But he does have fairly high bust potential, so we need to keep that in mind. I am just as easily enamored with 40's at the combine. But they really don't tell much by themselves.

For some reason, I would rather not take him in the first. But I understand why he would be taken, and I wouldn't be too upset about it. I just get worried about the lack of stats. It' isn't his fault, I realize that. But all things being equal, I would much rather have a lot more catches.
I'm really hoping you guys leave Hill for my niners @ 30. A lot of people have him going to either Cleveland or your Texans though.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

I think James is an okay player for the right price, but I haven't seen what he is going to make yet.

If he was cheap, he is okay. But I do not think he is an upgrade over Demeco Ryans, as far as on the field. But he is okay.

What I am worried about is that I have heard Ryans is a great locker room guy. I have never been in the locker room, but I don't want to change whatever they were doing last year. They were right there, man...

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Houston vs Detroit on Thanksgiving Day and 2 Monday Night games. :)
Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
WR is the biggest need, but I would agree that it most likely is not the best value.
I am not a big fan of almost any of the WR's this year. Tommy Streeter wouldn't be a bad choice in the mid rounds if Andre can teach him how to catch a ball on a consistant basis. 6'4 220 and ran an unofficial 4.34 at the combine.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Quote:
Houston vs Detroit on Thanksgiving Day and 2 Monday Night games. :)
Prime time games scare me cause we are usually really awful on the national stage.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmt2500 View Post
Prime time games scare me cause we are usually really awful on the national stage.
I remember when we played Denver on prime time the other year and I was out of town so I went to watch it at a Hooters. Everyone there other than me was wearing Denver stuff.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Quote:
I am not a big fan of almost any of the WR's this year. Tommy Streeter wouldn't be a bad choice in the mid rounds if Andre can teach him how to catch a ball on a consistant basis. 6'4 220 and ran an unofficial 4.34 at the combine.
Just a note on Tommy Streeter. I fell in love with his triangle numbers several months ago. I have done as much research on him as I have on anyone in this draft. And believe me, I wanted to like him. He has some great highlights, seems down to earth in the interviews and video I could find, and generally seems like a nice guy. But here is the problem.

I don't think he has a stomach for football. He doesn't go after the ball at the highest point. His run blocking is not good. If you watched him at the combine, he did not seem to try as hard as some of the other guys.

He just doesn't "attack" the ball in the air.

Several years ago, I had the same issues with a guy I wanted to fall in love with named Craponso Thorp (I may be misspelling the name as I am going on memory, but I am not making him up). Both have the talent. But at the pro level you have to really want it, no matter how much talent you have. And he doesn't want it at all, IMO.

Later in the draft I MIGHT take a flier, but I am telling you now...stay away from Streeter. There is a lot of quit in that guy...to quote a certain comedian.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

There is a rumor linking us to TE Coby Fleener. At first i didnt like this but after thinking about it its the perfect pick for us. In our system a 2nd TE is a lot more important than a number 2 WR. OD and Fleener could be better than the duo in NE...

Fleener is my pick.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Well, he is not mine because I think the texans are set at te.

However, I do think he would be an upgrade. And I really do believe that. I wouldn't hate that pick, because I think Michael Floyd is severely underrated. Anything we need to do to get him, I am on board with. But Fleener would be an upgrade, and so I can't knock that pick too bad.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

We would have to give up way to much to get low enough to get Floyd and with needing to fill depth at a few spots I dont see us trading up and losing picks. But I agree, i think if he keeps his head on straight he will be a star.

Best part about this draft is that we don't have any glaring needs so we can take the best player available. We are not looking for someone to jump in and start.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I like the Mercilus pick although I would have gone with Zeitler or Glenn. I am just glad we didn't go WR or Fleener.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Just a note on Tommy Streeter. I fell in love with his triangle numbers several months ago. I have done as much research on him as I have on anyone in this draft. And believe me, I wanted to like him. He has some great highlights, seems down to earth in the interviews and video I could find, and generally seems like a nice guy. But here is the problem.

I don't think he has a stomach for football. He doesn't go after the ball at the highest point. His run blocking is not good. If you watched him at the combine, he did not seem to try as hard as some of the other guys.

He just doesn't "attack" the ball in the air.

Several years ago, I had the same issues with a guy I wanted to fall in love with named Craponso Thorp (I may be misspelling the name as I am going on memory, but I am not making him up). Both have the talent. But at the pro level you have to really want it, no matter how much talent you have. And he doesn't want it at all, IMO.

Later in the draft I MIGHT take a flier, but I am telling you now...stay away from Streeter. There is a lot of quit in that guy...to quote a certain comedian.
I agree and him having that attitude is why he isn't like a high second round pick since he has size and speed to be a great WR. Putting him around Andre Johnson could get him to change that attitude though.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

It's tough to grade this draft. It has its goods and its really bads. I like the Mercilus pick but still feel like we should have gone OL. I have no doubt he will be a big producer on the defense though. I just think Brooks Reed and Conor Barwin had the position in control and OL would have filled a bigger need. We even could have traded up a few spots to get DeCastro. Reiff, Glenn, and Zietler were still around.

DeVier Posey-My gosh what a reach. Many WR's that are better were still available. We finally take a risk on a guy that doesn't have perfect character and this is who we choose?

Brandon Brooks-Nice pick. I just hope he can stay healthy. The guy seems to constantly be injured.

Ben Jones-Not that big of a fan. The guy practically ran a 6 second 40 according to Scott. We just signed Myers as well.

Keyshawn Martin-Another pretty big reach with better WR's there.

Jared Crick-My favorite pick of the whole draft! I hope there isn't some concerns with his injury because I noticed Scott had him in the 2nd in the second to last mock and then completely out of all three rounds in the latest one he did on Thursday. Nice risk in the late 4th though.

Randy Bullock-Another reach just because Rackers left and he is the hometown kid that grew up in the Klein area of Houston. Blair Walsh was still around as well. I would even bet than we could have picked him in UDFA as well. I would have picked Illoka instead.

Nick Mondek-I don't think I watched one Purdue game this year. Can't really say much about him.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Good gosh, I agree with you.

I loved the Crick pick. As a Cowboys fan as well, I really wanted them to take him because I thought that was exactly what they needed. I was pleasantly surprised to see Houston take him, and I think he was a great pick.

I really do love the Mercilus pick. He was one of the few guys that stood out to me this year, as far as the defensive front seven goes. I think he was much better than most had him in mocks. Not really a good pick, need wise. But a good player at a good point in the draft. And I do believe that a good pass rush can mask a bad secondary, to some extent. But a good secondary can not mask a bad pass rush. Neither of these picks are bad at all.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Loftin
Rookie

Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My impression is positive overall of our draft. My only problem is who we took at WR.

I like the Mercilus pick. Barwin and Reed are great, but Barwin's health has been an issue and we have NO depth there. Having a good pass rush is critical so I have no problem with us taking Mercilus if they thought he was BPA.

Both of the WRs we took were reaches according to projections, but we need help there and if either one of them pans out, then we were successful. However, I am doubtful and think we wasted those picks.

Brooks sounds like a solid pick and good fit for us. He might compete for Brisiel's former starting spot. I also like Jones, because he was one of the better C prospects in this draft, and even though we just re-signed Myers, we had no back-up who was any good at that spot. I'm ok with using a mid-round pick for a decent backup at a spot that needed depth.

The Mondek pick is odd. I'd never heard of him or seen him on any draft sites. I'd be surprised if he makes the roster.

Crick is a great pick. Watt and Smith are great starters, but like OLB, we didn't have any depth to speak of at DE. Crick gives us depth there and could possibly be Smith's replacement in a couple of years. Assuming he's 100% after the pectoral injury, this pick could turn out to be a real steal.

5th round might be a little early for a kicker, but I really like the Bullock pick. I'm a die-hard Aggie and I've seen Bullock play in person quite a bit. He has range, he is accurate, and he doesn't seem to get rattled. I think there's a high probability that we have a quality kicker for a long time now.
Loftin is offline   Reply With Quote