Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I'll probably be doing one of these write-ups for the NFC South.
I would too, and I probably will, but the NFC South doesn't generate near the hype and controversy as the overrated NFC East.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Though there are a ton of Bucs fans for whatever reason.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was looking for a opportunity to pounce N10, but your write up was definitely well thought out and concise. Dammit.

But I do want to talk about the Cowboys Defense. There were times last year where we looked so lethargic and slow it was frustrating. We got away with it for most of the year until Sean Peyton came to town, and exposed our vulnerabilities. And boy did other teams take note. Even more frustrating, was the defenses inability to make that key 3rd down or 4th down stop, which was apparent in the playoff game against the Seattle. The fault for that could be spread around from Zimmer, right down to the execution by the players, but not one should be spared from the scrutiny. Now what have we done to improve Our D? Key addition IMO was Wade Phillips, a real 3-4 mind who has the ability of taking full of advantage of the personnel we have. I heard nothing but "He will let D. Ware loose" type conversation when he was hired, but until I see it I will hold my tongue. As for getting Hamlin, I was not totally excited about the acquisition, but I was happy we finally got an experienced FS who can line others up and knows the assignments. I do agree with skepticism of his ability to be that center field guy, but if he can be the "defenses QB" as Jerry and Wade eluded to, then I will be happy. And finally, to me the biggest addition was the pick of Anthony Spencer. I loved this kid coming out, and with health of Ellis in question and Carp possibly moving inside, this was a no brainer for me. You can look at the stats and all that and be impressed, but the most important stat that I saw was the 21 third-down stops and five fourth-down tackles he executed in 2006. Like I said, our inability to make that key stop was one of biggest faults of our defense last year, and I know Spencer wont single handedly fix that, but he will surely improve it.

With that said, I feel very good about our D this year. We finally plugged that hole at FS, we have great depth at LB, good youth and talent at DE, and we have a coach who has a reputation of putting the right players at the right places at the right times. Now of course I do have my worries about the lack of depth at NT, a vital part of the 3-4, and the productivity we will get out of DEs, but if all the parts fall into place I truly see a top 5 defense.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Helluva post, I'll disect it later. Been waiting for this... Tired of browsing your team forums. The Cowboys forum has turned into a huge homer fest and I'm sick of it.
Aside from Achilles/Tnew and one or two of the newer guys, I don't really see that much homerism there. Much less a "homer fest".
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I'll probably be doing one of these write-ups for the NFC South.
I'll probably create enough commotion to make it survive :D

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll make one about the NFC Bears...I mean the NFC North.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Though there are a ton of Bucs fans for whatever reason.
Quality not quantity ;)

Why are there no Panthers posters?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-08-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Quality not quantity ;)

Why are there no Panthers posters?
Who cares, I know I don't mind. I hear enough about how great the Panthers are as is.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clinton Portis=Brian Westbrook
Ladell Betts>TOny Hunt(for now)
Betts is a 1000 yd rusher, so basically your saying Westbrook who had 1900 yd's and Hunt who is still unproven(tho I like very much) is better than Portis and Betts, both 1000 yd rushers.

Campbell just got his first starts and will have experience. Santana Moss is a WR who can hit 1300-1400 yards. Cooley is one of the better TE's. Lloyd and Randle El should have more chemistry this year w/ the QB's and Lloyd is a solid #2, and Randle El a borderline 2.

Rodgers, Springs, Smoot, Macklin
Landry, Taylor, Prielou?
Whether or not the pass rush is bad that is an amazing secondary and can make up for the pass rushes flaws.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Last edited by neko4 : 05-08-2007 at 11:02 PM.
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Clinton Portis=Brian Westbrook
Ladell Betts>TOny Hunt(for now)
Betts is a 1000 yd rusher, so basically your saying Westbrook who had 1900 yd's and Hunt who is still unproven(tho I like very much) is better than Portis and Betts, both 1000 yd rushers.

Campbell just got his first starts and will have experience. Santana Moss is a WR who can hit 1300-1400 yards. Cooley is one of the better TE's. Lloyd and Randle El should have more chemistry this year w/ the QB's and Lloyd is a solid #2, and Randle El a borderline 2.

Rodgers, Springs, Smoot, Macklin
Landry, Taylor, Prielou?
Whether or not the pass rush is bad that is an amazing secondary and can make up for the pass rushes flaws.
Well, there's #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Who cares, I know I don't mind. I hear enough about how great the Panthers are as is.
It seems like they are the NFC favourites every year but injuries have hurt them badly. Occasionally so has Jake Delhomme, the former feel-good story of the 21st century of football (for reasons that are beyond my knowledge). The rule changes on celebrations were nice because Steve Smith finally shut his arrogant little trap.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

A good secondary cannot make up for a flawed pass rush anymore. Ever since the rule changes over the years that pretty much handcuff defensive backs, a pass rush is must have for a successful defense.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
A good secondary cannot make up for a flawed pass rush anymore. Ever since the rule changes over the years that pretty much handcuff defensive backs, a pass rush is must have for a successful defense.
And the Skins secondary is average at best in terms of coverage.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I just dont believe they should 4th

Also Campbell's career is already reminiscent of Carson Palmer's. Like Palmer he sat out a year and then had an okay 2nd year. Also had Campbell started as many games as Palmer did in '04(13 for Palmer, 7 for Campbell) then Campbell would have more than likely had less INT's but more TD's.

Campbell
7 starts
10 TD's
6 Picks

Palmer
13 Starts
18 TD's
18 Picks

And Palmer was in a similar situation. Palmer had Chad, but outside of that was a developing TJ, and a draft bust.
Campbell has a dominate #1 and then two questionable WR's. (Tho Cooley does give Campbell a bit better WR core than Palmer)

Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
And the Skins secondary is average at best in terms of coverage.
even w/ a healthy Springs, and the additions of Smoot and Macklin?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Number 10, these are the things I disagree on:

Running Game

Your Ranking
  • 1. Philadelphia
  • 2. Washington
  • 3. New York
  • 4. Dallas
My Ranking
  • 1. Washington
  • 2. Philadelphia
  • 3. Dallas
  • 4. New York

Rationale: I think Westbrook and Portis is close, although I would give the edge to Brian Westbrook. However, the deal breaker is Ladell Betts versus Tony Hunt. No doubt I would take Betts, he's a proven 1,000 yard commodity.

Passing Game

After Philadelphia it is too close to definitively call. Thus I am inclined to agree with your order.

Run Defense

In agreement.

Pass Defense

I agree that Philadelphia is at the top. Though Sean Considine leaves a lot to be desired.

As for Dallas, their safeties lack ideal coverage skills. The only reason the pass defense will be good is if the pass rush masks all of their deficiencies.

New York, likewise with Dallas, require the pass rush to cover up the porous secondary. Unless Aaron Ross plays much better, right away, than I anticipate this should be a problem area if teams can hold up on the O-Line.

Indications are that Washington will trade for a Defensive End, and I've heard Alex Brown. If that is the case, I would put them ahead of Dallas. Otherwise you are right, the pass rush will hold them back.

Either way, all three secondaries are weak behind Philadelphia.

Overall

Very solid write up. So sound in fact, that it will be hard for the homers to find much to nitpick about.

Last edited by Shiver : 05-08-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also Campbell's career is already reminiscent of Carson Palmer's. Like Palmer he sat out a year and then had an okay 2nd year.
The funny thing is that you actually believe this garbage. You realize this applies to about 75% of all rookie QB's right? For every one that develops like Palmer, who was an elite prospect, something Campbell was not, there are 100 that continue to have mediocre NFL careers.

I mean honestly, after saying that, I can't imagine how anyone could ever take you seriously. And I'm not trying to be mean...but seriously....

That's like saying Jesus and Bob Villa had similar careers because they both started off as carpenters.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
even w/ a healthy Springs, and the additions of Smoot and Macklin?
Smoot wasn't good enough for a poor secondary in Minny and Macklin...? What has he ever done to warrant anything notable?
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I would too, and I probably will, but the NFC South doesn't generate near the hype and controversy as the overrated NFC East.
Think of us as the AL East in baseball. Were not win the championship every year, but when you see one of us on TV, your going to watch.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

East coast bias!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Pass Defense

I agree that Philadelphia is at the top. Though Sean Considine leaves a lot to be desired.

As for Dallas I also think that your claim about Henry being the best corner is absurd, quite frankly. Teams targeted him relentlessly last year, and were rewarded. Teams generally avoided Terrence Newman, because with the rest of the secondary, why would you test him? Their safeties lack ideal coverage skills. The only reason the pass defense will be good is if the pass rush masks all of their deficiencies.
Dude, he was kidding.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Number 10, these are the things I disagree on:

Running Game

Your Ranking
  • 1. Philadelphia
  • 2. Washington
  • 3. New York
  • 4. Dallas
My Ranking
  • 1. Washington
  • 2. Philadelphia
  • 3. Dallas
  • 4. New York

Rationale: I think Westbrook and Portis is close, although I would give the edge to Brian Westbrook. However, the deal breaker is Ladell Betts versus Tony Hunt. No doubt I would take Betts, he's a proven 1,000 yard commodity.

Passing Game

After Philadelphia it is too close to definitively call. Thus I am inclined to agree with your order.

Run Defense

In agreement.

Pass Defense

As for Dallas -My Bad- The only reason the pass defense will be good is if the pass rush masks all of their deficiencies.

New York, likewise with Dallas, require the pass rush to cover up the porous secondary. Unless Aaron Ross plays much better, right away, than I anticipate this should be a problem area if teams can hold up on the O-Line.

Indications are that Washington will trade for a Defensive End, and I've heard Alex Brown. If that is the case, I would put them ahead of Dallas. Otherwise you are right, the pass rush will hold them back.

Either way, all three secondaries are weak behind Philadelphia.

Overall

Very solid write up. So sound in fact, that it will be hard for the homers to find much to nitpick about.
hahaha....2 things-

Go read the Cowboys pass defense write up regarding Henry again, I think you missed something.

And I think you have to take into account the lines of Washington and Philly. Samuels is the best OL of the two groups, but from LG to RT I'd take every Philly lineman.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Last edited by Shiver : 05-08-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The funny thing is that you actually believe this garbage. You realize this applies to about 75% of all rookie QB's right? For every one that develops like Palmer, who was an elite prospect, something Campbell was not, there are 100 that continue to have mediocre NFL careers.

I mean honestly, after saying that, I can't imagine how anyone could ever take you seriously. And I'm not trying to be mean...but seriously....

That's like saying Jesus and Bob Vila had similar careers because they both started off as carpenters.
I was trying to say that Campbell and Palmer had similar starts. People have compared players careers before.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Smoot wasn't good enough for a poor secondary in Minny and Macklin...? What has he ever done to warrant anything notable?
Macklin wont have to even start. He would definitly be a good dime cb and smoot should do good enough at nickel

Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Macklin wont have to even start. He would definitly be a good dime cb and smoot should do good enough at nickel
But you called them a great secondary, they are hardly good if that.

If you don't have a good secondary, you need a good pass rush unless your defense against the pass will be weak. Your secondary is average and your pass rush is horrid, end of argument.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED