Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coming off a huge emotional win vs. Pitt we now travel to Carolina to face a Divisional opponent in the Panthers who always seem to give us a tough game.

This game is crucial for us because not only do we have to keep pace with Atlanta and Tampa for the division, the Saints also have to show some consistency this season... they've really flip flopped good performances, with bad ones from week to week. It would be a big boost to go into the Bye Week with 2 straight wins, would give us something to build on.

Also there's some hope Tracy Porter and Jabari Greer might be ready to come back and play this week, Reggie Bush has not practiced yet but there's still a chance if they see enough improvement he can go.. (possibly with a limited snap count)
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greer and Porter will be a go... but still, Carolina always plays us close / tight regardless of their record. I doubt DeAngelo Wiliams or Jeff Otah play, but if we play like we did against the Steelers I think we'll run away with the win.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Greer and Porter will be a go... but still, Carolina always plays us close / tight regardless of their record. I doubt DeAngelo Wiliams or Jeff Otah play, but if we play like we did against the Steelers I think we'll run away with the win.
That's the big question this week, Which Saints team will show up? the one that beat the Steelers? or will they play like the team that lost to the Browns?

Like you I think if the Saints bring their A game this week to Carolina they should win this one easily, but it's games like these where the Saints are heavily favored by the media that they always seem to come out flat and play down to the competition.. If our Offense turns the ball over multiple times,and gives them short fields to work with then there's no doubt we'll lose this game just like we lost to Arizona, and Cleveland.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:38 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After looking back over the last 2 weeks, that's how you surge into your bye week. That was a great win over Carolina.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm extremely excited about Jimmy Graham. a 6'6 guy that fluid is going to be a dominant mismatch for years to come. The fact that he is so raw and inexperienced, but already a solid contributor as a receiver speaks volumes.

Can't wait to get healthy over the bye and make a strong surge down the stretch.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

That was a crucial win, back to back comfortable margin wins. Now we get a well timed Bye Week, so we can get the numerous guys who are banged up fresh and healthy. I believe Shockey, Sharper, Jenkins, and Ivory all got dinged today... (even though we dished out much more punishment to the Panthers than we took)

I agree I like what Graham brings to the table, he provided a spark to the Offense today and he's so athletic, and versatile... hopefully we'll see him become a bigger part of the Offense the 2nd half of this season.

The Defense continues to play outstanding football, they just harassed the Panthers QBs all game long... and it is great to have Jabari Greer back. The Offense was solid but they still could use some improvement, it seems like the plays weren't coming in quick enough which led to us barely getting some plays off and having to burn timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties... Have to be much crisper getting in, and out of the huddle. Hopefully they can work out these issues after the Bye with Reggie Bush back.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

brees is really cursed by the way, that 'interception' was just weird. However the team played pretty tough and really well at times. Hats off to the D, even though we know carolinas offense is mediocre

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So a friend of mine who still lives in Louisiana said that a rumor is coming out that Payton wanted to trade Thomas to the Patriots at the beginning of the season but the deal fell through when Thomas got injuried. Is there any truth to this? I think that sounds ridiculous and makes it seems like Payton has all his eggs in the Reggie Bush basket but i figured i would ask since i no longer here much about the Saints besides whats on TV.
NOLAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard they were dangling him for a CB near the deadline, but backed out when NE demanded a draft pick.

Which of their crappy CBs does Belichick think is worth PT and a draft pick? lol
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

As this season goes along I'm starting to really fear Pierre Thomas won't be with the team this next season. I think Payton has soured on him, and this ankle injury and how it was handled really threw a whole wrench into the situation.

With every week going by where no progress is made the more the thoughts swirl around him not being back... which is a shame because he's one of my favorite players and brings a whole lot to our screen game. Reggie also has a history of being banged up... same with Pierre they both have been unable to stay healthy and often get hurt. If we let Pierre go I really hope we look into a future Running Back somewhere in this next draft.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

I would bet on Pierre being let go, I've thought so since last season when everyone was positive that Bush wouldn't be sitting on that 8 million dollar deal.

I'd be pissed if we used an early pick on a back.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Well if we lose Pierre, we gotta look somewhere in Rds. 2-5 for a good physical back, who can have some versatility catching the ball (because Payton has a fetish for backs who can catch)...

we in no way can afford what has happened to us this year to happen next year... I'm not sure I trust Ivory quite yet, and Hamilton who knows what kind of guy he can be? This Offense is at it's best when we have a successful running game and we don't have to put everything on the shoulders of Brees.

I'd say as of this point our main needs would be:

OLB, DE, RB, Interior O-Line depth, DT.

Last edited by Auron : 11-08-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:28 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

agreed with the needs although I have to say that the front 7 needs trump the other needs by a mile. Id like to use one of the third rounders on a running back if thomas is let go but no earlier

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 11-09-2010, 11:35 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it would be a huge mistake letting PT go. He gives 110% on every play that he's in and is a tough, all-purpose back that is can do whatever Payton wants. I really would hate to see him go.

Right now I think our needs in this years draft are OLB, DT, RB (if PT is let go), and DE. I would love to see what Sed Ellis could do if he played next to a legitimate nose tackle and we also desperately need some talent at outside linebacker.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't mind a 4th rounder or less, maybe a 3rd, but I wouldn't really want them going HB in the top 2 rounds.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
I wouldn't mind a 4th rounder or less, maybe a 3rd, but I wouldn't really want them going HB in the top 2 rounds.
I feel the same way, but looking at our last 3 drafts, if the value is there, you can bet on us pulling the trigger on a HB.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

The value really is never there to me. Unless you feel the back is like super special, the gap between guys like Ryan Matthews and guys like Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory just doesn't warrant high picks, and I think the Saints see that.

Beanie Wells is the guy we tried to make a move for, but the coaching staff felt he was a special quality back.

But honestly, we were 6th in rushing with a mediocre Mike Bell, 150 carries from Pierre Thomas, and 80 or so carries and a recovering knee Reggie Bush. We don't need to put a premium on high round backs to be a top tier rushing team, and injuries isn't a great reason to do so, because that back is probably just as likely to get injured.

Keep doing what we do, keep Reggie around, offer Pierre Thomas something reasonable, and if not, find late round and free agent backs to develop, it's the easiest position in the league to get, and the coaching staff does a good job of it.

Targeting an impact pass rusher, OLBs, or DTs is far more pressing at the moment.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Bye weeks are like ******.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I don't like not being able to watch the Saints, but also with the way things have gone at times this season I was a little relieved that there was nothing on the field that could have gone wrong for the Saints this past week.

Hopefully they are starting to hit their stride and can maintain their momentum through out the Bye, and finish the 2nd half of the season strong.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
it wouldve been okay if the falcons lost but this way bye weeks just blow

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 11-19-2010, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Hmm even after a Bye Week Sharper, and Shockey will be out with their injuries from the Carolina game. I guess it's time to see what Jimmy Graham can do given the opportunity for some serious playing time.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Well a win, but that was a really poor, sloppy finish. Against Seattle we should have closed that game out a lot earlier.

I'm still amazed that Brees threw that last pass in the end zone. Absolutely no reason to force that in there.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

easily the worst performance by greer in a saints uniform imho

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

A win none the less and it clearly showed our offense is damn potent even when it's off. I love Chris Ivory by the way, if I hadn't said it already.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
easily the worst performance by greer in a saints uniform imho
Yeah it did seem like he lost track of the ball in the air on quite a few down the field throws, which is uncharacteristic of him. I guess he gets a pass because, everyone is due for a down game eventually, plus he was out for a while.

Rough time to have a Short week playing on Thursday. Payton may be cautious and keep Sharper, Jenkins, Bush, and Shockey out another week..unless they can make progress within the next 3 days.

Either way we've got to be ready for Dallas, under Garrett they are a fired up ball club that does not play like their record shows.