Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Why did they stopped running Ivory btw?
He had a hamstring injury and was held out some time in the 1st half. The running game really suffered when he left, I'm glad we had Pierre but he doesn't crash through the line and bowl through Defenders the way Ivory does.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Ivory back for Baltimore (and the rest of the season for that matter) in a way I can't even put in words.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've changed my stance on off-season priorities mainly regarding the Draft, I no longer think we need to Draft a Running back in the first 3 rounds; if even at all. (plus with McNabb getting benched this week things are looking really good for us getting a 3rd rounder from that Jammal Brown trade) Really we won't need another Running Back because of the emergence of Ivory... but the man needs to devote an off-season to conditioning so he can stay healthy.

So I say make an attempt to re-sign Pierre... restructure Reggie's deal, Ivory's share of the workload increases.... even if we lose Pierre, I guess we can keep trying to develop Lynell Hamilton and Julius Jones will be on speed dial.

I think the crucial priorities are 1.) An athletic, pass rushing DE... Will Smith can still get the job done but other than him we haven't got much production from our End spots, and pressure is at a premium in Greg Williams' scheme.

2.) SAM Linebacker, Weakside backer. I appreciate all that Scott Shanle has done for this team but with all due respect his position is in need of an upgrade, he struggles a lot in coverage and lacks the athleticism to consistently make plays on the edges. Also Danny Clark has done an excellent job filling in on the SAM but he's also getting older, I think we look to try and get younger at both spots, and put more of a playmaker back there.

3.) Defensive Tackle, Ayodele has stepped his game up but we still need depth here. Outside of him and Ellis we don't have anymore true Defensive Tackles, Hargrove is more of a 3-tech, End tweener. Also guys like Woods, Pressley haven't panned out for us.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree 110% with that post. Couldn't have said it better, that's exactly how our priorities should go, but we should never abandon our draft board, taking the best player is almost always the best option.

But yea, getting a nice end, building depth at OLB and DE and even OL(you can never have too many quality OLs)
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The rest of my day is just ruined.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Baltimore had the perfect game plan against us, they exposed our Front 7 by pounding the ball.. and we had some terrible tackling attempts today. We also got killed by their screen game, on the other hand their Defense completely blew up any screen we tried almost instantly for a loss.

a team was finally able to expose our weaknesses at OLB and we failed to come up with Defensive Turnovers... the running game was also non existent today... I miss Chris Ivory. :(
Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the tackling was just terrible today, it also showed why I would be okay if the saints drafted only OLBs next draft, we need some talent there yesterday

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Our draft had better be defense heavy that is for damn sure.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed. This is something the fans have been preaching for years and our lack of attention to the defensive side of the ball in recent drafts has finally caught up to us.

We missed out on addressing linebacker in the first round last year and instead opted to get a CB that doesn't see the field nearly as much to justify a 1st round pick. A guy like Daryl Washington would have added much needed youth and athleticism to the position.

This year, hopefully, Sean Payton and Co. will see that we need to go all-defense in the first four rounds. Both outside linebacker positions and LDE need to be addressed. We also need another DT to play alongside Ellis, specifically a space-eating mammoth that will take up two blockers and help free up Sedrick to do what he does best: help collapse the pocket from the 3-tech.

I also feel that SS could be addressed as well. I like Roman Harper and feel his run support is top notch but he has just lacked the pass-coverage skills needed to succeed ever since he was drafted.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The secondary is outstanding against the pass and Harper is just flat out nasty right now, he's far from something to be addressing. He's a leader, he's intelligent, and he's a machine forcing fumbles and knocking balls loose.

He's come a long way, I really don't feel like he's a liability in coverage in this scheme.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I like Roman Harper and feel his run support is top notch but he has just lacked the pass-coverage skills needed to succeed ever since he was drafted.
Well I can imagine Atlanta is going to test both so the D had better be ready. No more of the kind of crap they allowed Ray Rice to do to us.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if there is more than 1 of the first 4 or our picks not spend on the front 7 id be upset.

Ideally id spend them (not saying the value matches this on draftday.

rd1 DEnd
rd2 WLB
rd3a DT
rd3b SLB

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

At the same time, we DO need to stick to our draft board, we've been good at evaluating talent, and there is no reason to reach, taking BPA always ends up looking good down the line, even if it's frustrating at first.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:56 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
At the same time, we DO need to stick to our draft board, we've been good at evaluating talent, and there is no reason to reach, taking BPA always ends up looking good down the line, even if it's frustrating at first.
well, yes and no.

Drafting like they did last year almost feels like they were making a statement about BPA. I know it isnt true but it almost felt like they were drafting guys who didnt come close to filling needs just to show they were drafting bpa.

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 12-26-2010, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Well I think it's sorely obvious that our team is in desperate need of fresh, young blood in the Defensive Front 7. We've neglected at Drafting young Linebackers for such a long time and aside from Vilma that position group is a mess.

We lost Fujita, Shanle is starting based on knowledge of the scheme but it's obvious he's getting to the end of his career, Clark is solid but he's also older and a liability in coverage, Casillas was supposed to the answer but he got injured, and it's obvious signing these washed up guys like Ingram, Simmons, and even Morgan, and Simoneaux doesn't work. Also we need pass rushers, and another space eater at DT.

I'm pretty nervous about this upcoming game in Atlanta, our Defense struggled a lot against Ray Rice, and now we have another great back in Turner we have to slow down. However we have to also find a way to not let Tony Gonzalez kill us over, the middle like he did in the last game. Maybe assign Malcolm Jenkins to cover him for the majority of the game? Out of all our DBs I think he has the best skill set to match up on Gonzalez.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Yes, Rice spanked us pretty good and I'm hoping that loss was the dose of smelling salts we needed here the last two weeks of the regular season and into the play-offs. I also agree whole-heartedly about some fresh blood to the front 7. It's not like they didn't try with Arnoux and Woods, but I think it is a need we had better address sooner rather than later in any given draft.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

I'm worried more about getting blocked than finishing on the RBs. I'm disappointed that Rice didn't even have to do anything special against us, he was just getting a full head of steam running through gaping holes.

I know it would hurt our DT rotation, but I'd like to see Hargrove get a chance at full time LE.

Seems like a nice crop of DTs and LBs this year, so that's good, but we probably aren't going to draft by need =/.

On the bright side, I think Charles Brown might be moved into the starting lineup with Bushrod by next year, which will mark the end of stinch, which should provide a nice boost to the running game.

I think when we look back in few years, Robinson, Graham, Brown, Tennant will seem like a really really good draft lass, and honestly, a lot of the guys we were pining for aren't doing crap right now anyway, though I still wish we would have nabbed Daryl Washington and Carlos Dunlap.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and of course we could pick out players at positions of need NOW, but go back and look at some of our wish lists, and then realize that would have sucked in comparison to getting a bunch of solid guys.

That's how the great teams have stayed great, every year people harp on the Pats and Colts for not taking positions of need, but they just find good players, and when you stockpile heaps of good players, you always have fresh guys, and you can always sustain injuries. Just look at us compared to a few years ago, we were still a very talented team in like 08, but we were so weak behind the starters we couldn't really sustain injuries. Now? We can sustain injuries with te best of them, that's one of the most important things in assuring a playoff spot year in and year out.

I've said it before, but if sharper is healthy, there is no reason for Shanle to see much play time. Harper can play in the box virtually every play as the third LB, and he'll be a better tackler, blitzer, and stronger in coverage than Shanle can ever hope.

Last edited by Saints-Tigers : 12-26-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Up by three at the half. We really need to hold on and pull this out.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We play the Rams or Seattle on the road in the Wildcard game.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We play the Rams or Seattle on the road in the Wildcard game.
well thats about as good as you can hope for wildcard

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

I'm not going to be a bit surprised if we are replaying the game we played tonight 3 weeks from now.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

could be 3 or 4 weeks though. I could see the packers beating the eagles/bears

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

How about picking Aldon Smith in the first btw, pure pass rusher. Could be a good option if there are some of the guys gone that we would be looking at.

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I'm not going to be a bit surprised if we are replaying the game we played tonight 3 weeks from now.
I just really don't want us to have to go to Philly or Chicago

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
How about picking Aldon Smith in the first btw, pure pass rusher. Could be a good option if there are some of the guys gone that we would be looking at.
If he declares, I'd be fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I just really don't want us to have to go to Philly or Chicago
Yeah, we don't do well in the cold and wind, but I see us easily beating Chicago.