Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan
Hey. Im a Giants fan, but I was wondering if the Saints would consider trading any of their WRs? They have an abundance of young talent at the position
I think it's safe to say that Joe Horn will not be a Saint next year -- either we're going to cut him or trade him (unlikely) if he doesn't reconstruct his contract.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just like Flyboy said, I think the only wide receivers the Saints would be interested in trading are Joe Horn, Michael Lewis, and possibly Terrance Copper.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we don't get rid of Cooper -- he really came up for us in the stretch of the season.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 01-25-2007, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I liked Terrence Copper's ability to step up and take over, he's not a top wide receiver. I know that they're going to hang on to Marques Colston, but other than that, I think that everyone is up for grabs, including Devery Henderson and Joe Horn.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:05 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is what I would like to see the Saints do in the off-season:

Re-sign DE Charles Grant
Re-sign TE Billy Miller
Re-sign OT Jon Stinchcomb
Re-sign DT Hollis Thomas (to short term)
Re-sign LB Scott Shanle
Re-sign LB Danny Clark
Re-sign Omar Stoutmire

Free Agents
Pursue TE Daniel Graham (N.E.)
Pursue ILB Kawika Mitchell (KC)
Pursue CB Roderick Hood (PHI)
Look into the tender for CB/S Jordan Babineaux (SEA)

Draft Needs
Linebacker and Cornerback are our biggest needs. Address them first, followed by defensive tackle.

EDIT: Compiled by me and SaintsDomePatrol.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-25-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

New Orleans Saints scout look at the Senior Bowl:
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...articleid=3315

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

where does WR fall on the saints needs this off season?
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
where does WR fall on the saints needs this off season?
It all depends on how our offseason goes. If we sign free agents CB Rod Hood & TE Daniel Graham, then I would say that it raises the need for a WR, but if we do not land a free agent cornerback, especially, then it decreases the need for a WR.

But as it sits right now, not looking at free agency, I would say that WR falls to 3rd or 4th priority, depending. Positions needed before WR are CB, ILB, DT, and then WR.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

W/o any major FA acquisitions & barring Philly not signing Dante Stallworth...

My (optimistic) draft for the Saints:

1st Round - LB Patrick Willis

2nd Round - CB Tanard Jackson

3rd Round - OLB Tony Taylor

4th Round - TE Ben Patrick

4th Round - WR Steve Smith

4th Round - OG Andy Alleman

5th Round - DT Stanley Doughty

Now, I would really like to see us sign CB Rod Hood and TE Daniel Graham but this what I think might happen come April.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

What are the reports about Tanard Jackson?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that the forum mock is in the books, I just wanted to see what the Saints fans thought of the picks that diabsoule and I chose.

(keep in mind that we had the 25th selection overall and Philadelphia did not resign Donte' Stallworth at this point)

1st round - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
2nd round - Buster Davis, ILB, Florida State
3rd round - Mason Crosby, K, Colorado
4th round - Tony Taylor, LB, Georgia

We also traded a fourth rounder to Seattle for CB/S Jordan Babineaux and another fourth rounder to St. Louis for DT Jimmy Kennedy.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? :D

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Very, very nice. Kinda crazy that Davis lasted until the 2nd round.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Reports from Seahawks fans suggest that Jordan Babineaux is worth between a 4th-6th Rd pick. I say we trade Seattle one of those picks and get him. He offers us versatility in the secondary. Then we sign Rod Hood from Philly. Those two additions would significantly help out our backfield and we could also cut Jason Craft and Fred Thomas. Then we draft a CB like Aaron Ross or Tanard Jackson and we're set in the secondary.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Hi. I'm a Saints fan noticed there was a Saints discussion on here so I registered.

Here are some of my off season thoughts.
* I think a top priority is determining what happens with Charles Grant. He is an UFA. Personally I would like to get him re-signed because even though he is inconsistent I don't think we will be able to off-set his loss easily. Hopefully he can work out a contract, but if not I hope the Saints will use the franchise tag on him.

* Another big concern is the Joe Horn situation. Will he be back or not? I think his cap number for next season is 5.7 Million, with a base salary of 4.45 million. For a 34 year old(almost 35) wide receiver with injury concerns he just isn't worth it anymore, not at that salary. I know the Saints will probably ask him to restructure but I don't know if Joe will be want to take less money, if that is the case then I think he will be in another uniform next season sadly.

the main focus of the off season should be on Defense. I think these are primary needs.
- CB - I'm stating the obvious here, but Fred Thomas just isn't a starting corner in the league, he must have gave up the most receiving touchdowns over 20 yards this season. I think we need a speedy cover corner, who can keep up with WRs downfield. I also think we could use some fresh depth at corner; Craft, Groce, Deloatch might be the most unimpressive group of DBs.

- MLB - Simoneau was a solid veteran for us this year, but I think he was stop gap type player. I really think the Saints need a guy in the middle who can make plays sideline to sideline chasing down backs, someone who can force turnovers and be a game changer.

- DT - I thought Hollis Thomas was a good addition this year and would like him re-signed. Although it would be great to have a disruptor along the D-line a two way defensive tackle who can collapse the pocket pass rushing, and disrupt plays in the backfield. I don't think we'll have a shot at him but I would love to land Amobi Akoye.

I honestly don't think the Saints will pursue the Elite free agents on the market (like Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, Adalius Thomas) but rather they'll go after the second tier free agents that won't cost as much and can fill the roles in the team structure. Guys like Nick Harper, Rod Hood, Terdell Sands.

Basically I think the Saints should draft Best Defensive Player available at #27. Personally I like Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons, Darrelle Revis, Amobi Akoye. Now of course all of those players could possible be off the board by the time we pick, but I think one or two of them will still be there.

Right now I'm really liking Patrick Willis, he had 11 tackles in the senior bowl game. I know early on he struggled at the point of attack, but other than those few plays he was generally all over the field.

Here are two videos of him in action which show he has some great abilities as a player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

*the second one in particular should erase some doubts about his sideline-to-sideline ability. He makes an amazing tackle on the Heisman candidate McFadden. Misdirection play, Willis doesn't bite, and then he chases McFadden down in the open field before he can turn the corner. Amazing pursuit.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol
Now that the forum mock is in the books, I just wanted to see what the Saints fans thought of the picks that diabsoule and I chose.

(keep in mind that we had the 25th selection overall and Philadelphia did not resign Donte' Stallworth at this point)

We also traded a fourth rounder to Seattle for CB/S Jordan Babineaux and another fourth rounder to St. Louis for DT Jimmy Kennedy.

If we were able to get Ross and Davis with our first two picks, i think that would be enough to put us in the super bowl. I doubt Davis will last that long. I dont like taking a K with our 3rd. While it is a good value pick, I think we could still get a starter on defense (DT), or a TE that would give Brees another target. I dont have any complaints about our offense, but Brees loves passing to them, and it would give Payton another piece to play with. Taylor in the 4th is another great pick. I think he got lost a little at Georgia, but he is a quality LB. I also like the trades. Babineaux would be a steal for a fourth rounder. I dont know much about Kennedy.

where can we see the mock?
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:51 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxSaints
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol

If we were able to get Ross and Davis with our first two picks, i think that would be enough to put us in the super bowl. I doubt Davis will last that long. I dont like taking a K with our 3rd. While it is a good value pick, I think we could still get a starter on defense (DT), or a TE that would give Brees another target. I dont have any complaints about our offense, but Brees loves passing to them, and it would give Payton another piece to play with. Taylor in the 4th is another great pick. I think he got lost a little at Georgia, but he is a quality LB. I also like the trades. Babineaux would be a steal for a fourth rounder. I dont know much about Kennedy.

where can we see the mock?
I thought Babineaux was a steal too and he is a guy I really want the Saints to try and negotiate with this offseason and see if they could trade a 4th Rd to Seattle for him.
Unfortunately, the mock was taken down so you can't see who every one picked.
I can tell you a little about Kennedy: He's a big guy (6'4", 325lbs) and his nickname is Bear. He's one of the starting defense tackles for the St. Louis Rams and is a Hollis Thomas like player. Doesn't get much sacks but clogs the middle.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-28-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Paul Posluszny LB, Penn State
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Paul Williams, WR Fresno State
Quinton Culberson LB, MSU
Stephen Nicholas, LB South Florida
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Johnnie Lee Higgins WR, UTEP
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon
Ryne Robinson WR, Miami OH
diabsoule name a few sleepers that you think would be good for us. i listed a few of mine earlier, but i will put the list up again.

do you really think we would have a shot at smith in the 4th? i dont see him lasting past the 3rd.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron
I think a top priority is determining what happens with Charles Grant. He is an UFA. Personally I would like to get him re-signed because even though he is inconsistent I don't think we will be able to off-set his loss easily. Hopefully he can work out a contract, but if not I hope the Saints will use the franchise tag on him.
he will be re-signed. after the year we had, i dont think he would leave.

Quote:
Another big concern is the Joe Horn situation. Will he be back or not? I think his cap number for next season is 5.7 Million, with a base salary of 4.45 million. For a 34 year old(almost 35) wide receiver with injury concerns he just isn't worth it anymore, not at that salary. I know the Saints will probably ask him to restructure but I don't know if Joe will be want to take less money, if that is the case then I think he will be in another uniform next season sadly.
i agree with everything you said. i hope we can find a way to have horn on our roster next season. i think he is a tremendous leader, and he disserves a chance to play in the super bowl.

Quote:
I'm stating the obvious here, but Fred Thomas just isn't a starting corner in the league, he must have gave up the most receiving touchdowns over 20 yards this season. I think we need a speedy cover corner, who can keep up with WRs downfield. I also think we could use some fresh depth at corner; Craft, Groce, Deloatch might be the most unimpressive group of DBs.
we have to take a CB with one of our first two picks. it should either be LB/CB or CB/LB depending on who is avaiable.

Quote:
I honestly don't think the Saints will pursue the Elite free agents on the market (like Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, Adalius Thomas) but rather they'll go after the second tier free agents that won't cost as much and can fill the roles in the team structure. Guys like Nick Harper, Rod Hood, Terdell Sands.
i think last year proved we dont need to overpay these free agents. it is better done by drafting properly. i would like to see us do something like we did last year in getting faine and thomas. by dropping down a few picks, we could gain a solid vet. of course, this all depends on who is available when our pick is up.

Quote:
Basically I think the Saints should draft Best Defensive Player available at #27. Personally I like Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons, Darrelle Revis, Amobi Akoye. Now of course all of those players could possible be off the board by the time we pick, but I think one or two of them will still be there.
if willis is avaiable, i think we have to take him.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Quote:
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon
diabsoule name a few sleepers that you think would be good for us. i listed a few of mine earlier, but i will put the list up again.

do you really think we would have a shot at smith in the 4th? i dont see him lasting past the 3rd.
By Smith I would assume you are thinking Brian Smith, and yes, I do think we would have a shot of getting him in the 4th Round. I think he is going to last into the second day due to his injury and the only way he can disspell any lingering doubts about how recovered he is is through workouts. I think he is more suited for the 3-4 as a hybrid player than to the 4-3.

Some sleepers I like right now (and that doesn't mean they'll be sleepers come draft day):

QB Tyler Palko, Pittsburgh
RB Gary Russell, Minnesota
RB Germaine Race, Pittsburgh St.
WR Syvelle Newton, South Carolina
WR Joel Filani, Texas Tech
WR Brandon Myles, West Virginia
TE Ben Patrick, Delaware
OT James Marten, Boston College
OT Allen Barbre, Missouri Southern St.
OG Andy Alleman, Akron
OG Mike Jones, Iowa
C LeRoy Harris, North Carolina St.
DE Tim Crowder, Texas
DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
DT Stanley Doughtey, South Carolina
LB Anthony Waters, Clemson
LB Justin Durant, Hampton
LB Prescott Burgess, Michigan
CB John Talley, Duke
CB DeAndre Jackson, Iowa State
S J.D. Nelson, Oregon
S Jessie Daniels, L.S.U.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-28-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
Quote:
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon

By Smith I would assume you are thinking Brian Smith, and yes, I do think we would have a shot of getting him in the 4th Round. I think he is going to last into the second day due to his injury and the only way he can disspell any lingering doubts about how recovered he is is through workouts. I think he is more suited for the 3-4 as a hybrid player than to the 4-3.

Some sleepers I like right now (and that doesn't mean they'll be sleepers come draft day):

TE Ben Patrick, Delaware
OG Andy Alleman, Akron
OG Mike Jones, Iowa
DE Tim Crowder, Texas
DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
CB John Talley, Duke
S J.D. Nelson, Oregon
S Jessie Daniels, L.S.U.
i meant steve smith from your optimistic draft. i agree that Brian Smith will be there on day two. i like Filani, Crowder, Burgess, Talley, and Nelson. i would love to get jessie daniels. Paul Williams is another one that i believe will be a star, although i am not sure that he is a sleeper. Brandon Siler is a quality guy that could drop in the draft. he seems to be the kind of player payton would love - hard working leader.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
Quote:
wish list:

Pat Willis LB, Ole Miss
Chris Houston CB, Ark
Aaron Ross CB, Texas
Buster Davis LB, FSU
Brian Smith LB, Mizzou
Jessie Daniels S, LSU
Tony Taylor LB, Georgia
Brandon Siler LB, UF
J.D Nelson S, Oregon
Dante Rosario TE, Oregon

TE Ben Patrick, Delaware
OG Andy Alleman, Akron
OG Mike Jones, Iowa
DE Tim Crowder, Texas
DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
CB John Talley, Duke
S J.D. Nelson, Oregon
S Jessie Daniels, L.S.U.
i meant steve smith from your optimistic draft. i agree that Brian Smith will be there on day two. i like Filani, Crowder, Burgess, Talley, and Nelson. i would love to get jessie daniels. Paul Williams is another one that i believe will be a star, although i am not sure that he is a sleeper. Brandon Siler is a quality guy that could drop in the draft. he seems to be the kind of player payton would love - hard working leader.
I think we could get Steve Smith in the 4th. Supposedly his stock is falling so I can see him landing to us in the 4th, which I think would be ideal. Paul Williams earned himself a lot of money at the Senior Bowl where he really shined in practice and during the game. Brandon Siler is another guy who saw his stock rise in the National Championship Game and I think that if we have a good shot at him it will be in the 2nd Rd.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

bump
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

well, it has been reported that Donnie Edwards (LB, Chargers) will be 'let go' this off-season...if so....then we should fully expect the saints to go after him and sign him.

i'm going to make a off-season prediction with my next post (free-agency and draft).
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67
well, it has been reported that Donnie Edwards (LB, Chargers) will be 'let go' this off-season...if so....then we should fully expect the saints to go after him and sign him.

i'm going to make a off-season prediction with my next post (free-agency and draft).
If we sign Donnie Edwards, it would still be as a stop-gap due to his age. I'm torn on whether or not we should go after him, especially due to how much money he's going to want and us needed to re-sign some of our own players and sign some good FA's like Rod Hood & Daniel Graham.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-29-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

2007 Saints-Offseason prediction....

our own free-agents: http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freea...sp?Team=Saints

Re-signed/Franchised:
Charles Grant (DE): we will sign him long-term or franchise him at least.
Hollis Thomas (DT: will re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal.
Scott Shanle (LB): will re-sign for a 2-4 deal as a starter or backup.
Jon Stinchcomb (OT): will be given his tender offer or resigned.
Billy Miller (TE): 1-2 year deal as a backup receving TE.
Terrance Copper (WR): will be given his tender.
Terrence Melton (LB): will be given his tender.
Antwan Lake (DT): given a 1 year deal.

I'm still undecided on Bryan Scott (S), and he is a FA cause the Times-Pic listed him as 1.

FREE-AGENCY: i believe we will sign 1 big name/starter and everyone else is depth.

Donnie Edwards (LB, Chargers): we went after him through trade but it didn't work out...now he is ours and a stop gap for 2-3 years.

Jordan Babineaux (CB/S, Seahawks): i'm with the other posters..i want this guy...he will give us some depth and speed at the CB/S...he is a RFA but didn't get drafted...so 0 compensation for the hawks'...hopefully Loomis will throw a kink in the contract so they won't match either.

Al Singleton (LB, Cowboys): Payton/Gibbs knows him (2+years) and he will be depth for us at the LB'er spot...though that doesn't mean he will make the team.

Leander Jordan (OG/OT, Chargers): Hasn't played much but he can play tackle and guard in a pinch...Brees probaly knows him as well.

well sign some other names here and there, but that will be it. the saints will take care of the corner situation in the DRAFT and address other positions that need depth.

DRAFT: Stallworth re-signs with the Eagles and we get a extra 3rd round.

1:Marcus McCauley (CB, Fresno State): He will probaly be the corner that will be avaible to us when we pick at #27 (bad senior bowl, avg senior year). He has great height, good speed, potential and can excel in the system we run. will start opposite McKenzie.

2:Kareem Brown (DT, Miami): Now, this may be a little too early to take him. But this guy can rush the passer, stop the run, is nasty and is powerful. He did pretty well in the senior-bowl. has potential as well. will be a key rotation player as well a starter down the road.

3a:Rhema McKnight (WR, Notre Dame): Well, since the future of Horn is up-in-the air.....we will need depth. Rhema is a big guy, gives it his all, and is a Payton guy (character, smart, productive etc). He will provide us excellent depth at the WR spot with Devery, Terrence, and Jamal Jones.

3b:Clark Harris (TE, Rutgers): Well we have been needing a receving threat at TE for awhile. Harris will provide that for us...he doesn't stretch the field but he moves the chains and has great hands. which is what a TE is in our system.

4a:Tyler Palko (QB, Pitt): Now why would we need a QB? well Jamie Martin is 36 and keeps growing older...thats why. Tyler is basically what Payton looks for in a QB (game manager, mobility, smarts etc). He will be the future backup for Drew.

4b:Jay Moore (DE, Nebraska): Again, why would we need a position that's a strength (Grant, Fresh Prince, and Ninko)? Well Willie Whitehead ain't getting any younger (35, i believe) and sometimes in the season we needed depth at that spot. Josh Cooper did OK but not spectacular. Moore will give us a extra body in that DL rotation. He also can rush the passer. fits the bill of a payton player (smart, hard-worker, blue collar etc). Well keep Whitehead as a reserve for DE/DT and put Cooper on the PS.

5:Juwan Simpson (LB, Alabama): Well with this pick we add depth to the LB'er spot. Even though this player has off-field issues and sorta character problems. It was reported that the Saints scouts were talking/looking at him at the Senior Bowl. He was a productive LB for the Crimson-Tide and could play WLB for us, behind Shanle. He would obviously be a 2nd day pick..so if he gives trouble...well kick you to the curb...see ya.

6:Kevin Payne (S, Louisiana-Monroe): We need depth for S behind starters Harper and Bullocks. all 3 of our back-up S are free-agents. Payne is a Bellamy clone but younger with a little better speed. would be the primary back-up for Harper while our FA signing Babineaux is the back-up behind Bullocks. Payne was all over the place in the senior-bowl and well he played ball in LA, so lets keep him here.

7: Marcus Hamilton (CB, Virginia): Added depth to the CB spot. Was productive at UVA and has lots of experience. Hopefully he can kick Craft off the team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so what do you guys think of that?
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote