Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh vey.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. Weve shown weve been able to do that. - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

not good news with CG, hopefully we can sign him long-term in the future though....

but this off-season has been up and down lately....we sign Shanle which is good, then brees/bush gets hurt in events and then CG/Hollis are speaking out on the FO....i just hope it turns out to be great later on....

though if these events continue, our DL for next year is going to have many changes.
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron
I was listening to WWL 870, Grant was on with Bobby and Kenny W. Said that he has children to take care of, and that he was offered a contract with an 8 mil signing bonus, and felt it was a backup type deal.

Wow.. I really don't like how he's handling the situation in the media. I can't see this situation turning out good. :?
Like I said, I think this has the possibility of becoming another "Darren Howard"-like situation. :roll:

I might be wrong, but this (plus the grumblings around Hollis Thomas) may make for some interesting free agency and Draft selections. Don't be surprised if the Saints begin to target a potential replacement. :?

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Loomis was just on sirus, heres a recap......

- heard C-Grants comments and admitted to offering a 'low ball' contract...but that they had to start somewhere...and him coming back to NOLA with a long term deal is not out of the picture...

- they are still talking to Hollis Thomas's agent...and loomis and co are working very hard to get him resigned.

-saints will be active in FA, but not become 'big money spenders' like last year....

- will look to improve the D in FA....and they are are focused on getting depth through FA also.

-donnie edwards: avoided talking bout him cause that would be tampering...but drew is lobbying for the saints to get him...and the announcers/loomis kept joking and laughing about signing him up...the feel is that we will end up getting Edwards.

-draft: they will look to get BPA....once they solve needs in FA.

all in all, it i feel better now about locking up Grant/Hollis.....and i deff believe we will sign Edwards once he hit FA....
Old 02-22-2007, 07:41 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

I get the feeling that Mickey had to start the offer somewhere and it might've been a little too low for Grant's liking... I think they will definitely sit down again and try to get something done long term. (he doesn't like taking the whole 8.6 cap hit at once) If worse comes to worse Grant will just have to sign the tender and play out one more season as a Saint.

I believe him and Hollis' agent have traded offers, but I don't think both sides are at a point where they are comfortable with the deal..so I see Hollis leaving.

Seems like we're going to address a few needs in Free Agency, but we won't make the huge signings like last year because of cap restraints. So I think that rules out guys like Clements, Adalius Thomas...

I guess they will make a pitch to Donnie Edwards as well.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can sign DT Ian Scott, CB Rod Hood, LB Donnie Edwards, and TE Daniel Graham then we will be in good shape heading into the draft, even though I would like to see us sign at least one more CB so we can cut Thomas and Craft.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
bucknut12
Rookie

bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.

We'll get him long term, Loomis trying to play a numbers game and he's losing. He admitted to not upping the contract that was offered to CG earlier in the season.

And as for CG, he needs to quit crying about having "mouths to feed"

8.6 million is more than enough for a year to feed a mouth.

Hell, 500,000 is more than enough. Shut up and play football and you'll get your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
If we can sign DT Ian Scott, CB Rod Hood, LB Donnie Edwards, and TE Daniel Graham then we will be in good shape heading into the draft, even though I would like to see us sign at least one more CB so we can cut Thomas and Craft.
Hell, i'd draft 2 CB's and cut craft.

Sign one and cut Freddy.
bucknut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy
We'll get him long term, Loomis trying to play a numbers game and he's losing. He admitted to not upping the contract that was offered to CG earlier in the season.

Hell, 500,000 is more than enough. Shut up and play football and you'll get your money.

Quote:

Sign one and cut Freddy.
As far as CB's, this is what I'd like to see:

Sign Rod Hood
Sign RFA Jason David, if the Colts put a low-tender offer on him. We'd owe the Colts a 4th Rounder, but that guy is well worth it.

Cut Fred Thomas and Jason Craft. DeJuan Groce is a UFA and Curtis Deloatch is an RFA. There is no need to bring those two back, especially when we can draft our future.

Draft either Aaron Ross, Marcus McCauley, or Tanard Jackson. Then in the 4th draft Michael Coe or DeAndre Jackson. I'd prefer Coe as he should be a definite playmaker. Ross, McCauely, or Jackson would take over for McKenzie in a year or two.

Then our CB's would look like this:
McKenzie, David, Hood, Jackson, and Coe. That'd be a hell of a line-up.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-23-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
bucknut12
Rookie

bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sign one and cut Freddy.

Sign Rod Hood
Sign RFA Jason David, if the Colts put a low-tender offer on him. We'd owe the Colts a 4th Rounder, but that guy is well worth it.

Cut Fred Thomas and Jason Craft. DeJuan Groce is a UFA and Curtis Deloatch is an RFA. There is no need to bring those two back, especially when we can draft our future.

Draft either Aaron Ross, Marcus McCauley, or Tanard Jackson. Then in the 4th draft Michael Coe or DeAndre Jackson. I'd prefer Coe as he should be a definite playmaker. Ross, McCauely, or Jackson would take over for McKenzie in a year or two.

Dude, agree 100%

I'd rather Nick Harper over David though.

Can't go wrong with any of them though!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sign one and cut Freddy.

Sign Rod Hood

I don't think the corners need that much of an overhaul. Here's what I'd do:

1. Cut Fred Thomas (obviously).
2. Keep Jason Craft to be the #4 corner, as he is a solid enough vet and would be a serviceable nickel back in the event that somebody gets injured.
3. Draft a corner in Round 1; round 2 at the latest. I love Aaron Ross, so I'm going to say we get him.
4. Sign ONE cornerback in free agency, mainly to play nickle back, but possibly start until the rookie (in this case, Ross) is ready. Rod Hood will do.
5. Draft another corner late in the draft (Rd. 5 at the absolute earliest), a guy with potential to develop into a contributer but late enough that it won't really be a big deal if/when he gets cut. For the sake of this post, I'll go with Ramzee Robinson from Alabama.

McKenzie, Ross, Hood, Craft, Robinson.

That's good enough to be a major improvement. But then again, replacing Fred Thomas with my grandmother would be a major improvement.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sign one and cut Freddy.

Sign Rod Hood

Dude, agree 100%

I disagree about Harper. While he would be a good upgrade, he doesn't have much longer left in him as he is 33. David only has 3 years in the league and is much, much younger.

Lenny Walls is also a guy we could consider, however, you know the Saints f.o. Any suggestions we have will not be followed at all and they'll end up making some huge mistakes.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-23-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
bucknut12
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sign one and cut Freddy.

Sign Rod Hood

Dude, agree 100%

I disagree about Harper. While he would be a good upgrade, he doesn't have much longer left in him as he is 33. David only has 3 years in the league and is much, much younger.

Lenny Walls is also a guy we could consider, however, you know the Saints f.o. Any suggestions we have will not be followed at all and they'll end up making some huge mistakes.
He plays so good I keep forgetting he is 33!

Scratch Harper and sign up David!

He could be my cousin, thats my last name too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sign one and cut Freddy.

Sign Rod Hood

I don't think the corners need that much of an overhaul. Here's what I'd do:

1. Cut Fred Thomas (obviously).
2. Keep Jason Craft to be the #4 corner, as he is a solid enough vet and would be a serviceable nickel back in the event that somebody gets injured.
3. Draft a corner in Round 1; round 2 at the latest. I love Aaron Ross, so I'm going to say we get him.
4. Sign ONE cornerback in free agency, mainly to play nickle back, but possibly start until the rookie (in this case, Ross) is ready. Rod Hood will do.
5. Draft another corner late in the draft (Rd. 5 at the absolute earliest), a guy with potential to develop into a contributer but late enough that it won't really be a big deal if/when he gets cut. For the sake of this post, I'll go with Ramzee Robinson from Alabama.

McKenzie, Ross, Hood, Craft, Robinson.

That's good enough to be a major improvement. But then again, replacing Fred Thomas with my grandmother would be a major improvement.
I like Ross too but I think the Cowboys take him ahead of us...

I like that lineup too.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Any which way, I'd like to see either sign two FA's and draft two CB's or sign one FA and draft two CB's and keep Craft. Our CB's need work.

If Willis or Puz is there at our pick in the first round then we draft them. I don't think there is a doubt there, however, in the second we could go after someone like Tanard Jackson. Then draft someone like Michael Coe in the 4th since we have 3 4th Rounders.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-23-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

saints interested in Adalius Thomas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'The 49ers are fully expected to place calls with the agents for Nate Clements and Adalius Thomas once the free agency period begins.
The Niners could let Shawntae Spencer play nickel if they sign Clements. New Orleans and Green Bay also have reported interest in Thomas.'

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerp...rt=NFL&id=2251
Old 02-23-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
bucknut12
Rookie

Quote:
Any which way, I'd like to see either sign two FA's and draft two CB's or sign one FA and draft two CB's and keep Craft. Our CB's need work.

If Willis or Puz is there at our pick in the first round then we draft them. I don't think there is a doubt there, however, in the second we could go after someone like Tanard Jackson. Then draft someone like Michael Coe in the 4th since we have 3 4th Rounders.
I wouldn't be opposed to using 2 of our 3 4ths to trade up for Aaron Ross if need be...
Old 02-24-2007, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't be opposed to using 2 of our 3 4ths to trade up for Aaron Ross if need be...
He's not worth THAT much.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. Weve shown weve been able to do that. - Jabari Greer
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'The 49ers are fully expected to place calls with the agents for Nate Clements and Adalius Thomas once the free agency period begins.
The Niners could let Shawntae Spencer play nickel if they sign Clements. New Orleans and Green Bay also have reported interest in Thomas.'

Hope not.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-24-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67

Hope not.
Are you serious? Thomas could make a HUGE impact on our defense. If there's a way it can get done under the cap, then I'm all for it.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

I rather us sign FAs like Mitchell or E instead of Thomas simply because it works better with our cap and we could still get the same results. Plus, Thomas works better in a 3-4 anyhow.

I may be in the minority, but I really wouldn't mind taking Greg Olsen in the first round.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
ty23

If were signing a big name free agent, I want it to be Clements.

I doubt Adalius Thomas fits our scheme he's more a 3-4 LB. I do think we'll sign a Linebacker though, a Middle Linebacker in the mold of someone like Donnie Edwards.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I rather us sign FAs like Mitchell or E instead of Thomas simply because it works better with our cap and we could still get the same results. Plus, Thomas works better in a 3-4 anyhow.

I may be in the minority, but I really wouldn't mind taking Greg Olsen in the first round.
1. By Mitchell, do you mean Kawika Mitchell? By E, do you mean Donnie Edwards? By same results, do you mean nowhere near the results Adalius Thomas could give us?

2. Thomas is one of, if not the most versatile player in the NFL. I have a hard time believing he couldn't be productive in a 4-3.

3. We had the best offense in the NFL, and have huge needs at CB, MLB, and DT. And you want a tight end in the first round? Yeah, I'd hope you are in the minority.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-24-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

I wouldn't be opposed to having Adalius here, he's versatile and can line up almost anywhere..he's a playmaker who's always around the ball. We could definitely use a player like that. He could play WLB and we'd move Shanle inside to MLB.

However.. I really don't think the Saints will make a serious run at any of the high profile free agents like Adalius, or Clements.. I can see them coming in for visits and getting offers, but I don't think Mickey will overpay them in bidding wars like other teams may be willing to.

As for TE, we could use an upgrade but I'd only take Olsen if he's the absolute best player on the board left at #27. If we're going to go TE I'd look at Ben Patrick in Round 3.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

I'd love for us to take Michael Allan with one of our 4th round picks. He's really impressing me.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
I'd love for us to take Michael Allan with one of our 4th round picks. He's really impressing me.
I like Ben Patrick out of Delaware.

And Adalius Thomas is old and would demand too much money. He's versatile, yes, versatile in the 3-4. We would be better off addressing our needs in FA by getting someone like Mitchell or Edwards, then drafting someone.

Olsen would be a good pick in the 1st if Willis, Puz, Revis, Hall, and Ross are gone.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-24-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
I like Ben Patrick out of Delaware.

And Adalius Thomas is old and would demand too much money. He's versatile, yes, versatile in the 3-4. We would be better off addressing our needs in FA by getting someone like Mitchell or Edwards, then drafting someone.

Olsen would be a good pick in the 1st if Willis, Puz, Revis, Hall, and Ross are gone.
First of all, I don't know of many people who would call a six year vet "old" (Thomas barely even saw the field in his first season). But I really can't believe that you think there is another player on the market who could impact our D in the way Adalius could, and you're flat out crazy in refusing to realize the fact that we're talking about a guy here who has seen time at DE, OLB, MLB, and even a little DB, and he's not versatile enough to play in a 4-3? Gimmie a friggin' break! Thomas would be a HUGE upgrade at any of our linebacker positions. As for Mitchell and Edwards... well, Edwards is OLD (ha!), and Mitchell probably isn't even an upgrade over what we have now. I don't understand how a Saints fan wouldn't want us to sign a player who could have such a significant immediate impact, after all, an impact player on defense along with a few smaller defensive upgrades could put us in immediate championship contention. I guess you're just getting too used to the losing culture.

By the way, Olson would not be a good pick for us in the second round, much less the first. We need defense.

Sig by jkpigskin