Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty much figured the Drew Brees signing would wipe out any chance of Compensatory picks.

I'm fine with that though, we still have 9 Draft picks regardless.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
McGahee
Rookie

McGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Charles Grant?

How good is this guy? Is he better than Will Smith? Is he a good pass rusher? Good run stopper? Does he play LE or RE? How come his production has dropped the last few years?
McGahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And usually, most compensatory picks are in the late rounds anyway...

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a good base 4-3 End. He plays with pretty good leverage, can hold his ground against the run. He's not an explosive pass rusher, but he can overpower Tackles at times.

He had a pretty good season, 6 sacks, 65 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 5 pass deflections... Some of the negatives about him, are that he might disappear for stretches during games. Sometimes he might get tired, and not necessarily go full speed I guess. I wouldn't put too much stock in dropped production.. last season was the Hurricane year and no one had a good season.

Now is he better than Will Smith? tough question.. I think they are very even in terms of ability. I think Smith is the better pass rusher, while Grant is the better overall end right now, however Smith is younger and I think has higher potential.

Hope I helped.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As Auron already pointed out, Grant had a solid season this past year, racking up 65 tackles, six sacks and three forced fumbles. In every game but one last year, Grant had a least one tackle. His best game was against the 49ers, as he had six solo tackles and one pass deflection.

As for his ability, I think that Grant could either a base end or a hybrid tackle in some systems. He's one of the few ends that I believe is both good as a run-stuffer and has the ability to get after the quarterback as well. Being 290 pounds, more and more teams are looking for lighter defensive ends to rush from the outside, but most lighter ends get pushed back off the line by bigger offensive tackles. Grant's a guy that I could honestly see on the end on first and second down and then moving inside on passing downs.

Is he better than Will Smith? In my opinion, I think that he is, especially at this point of both their respective careers. Smith is younger and has a nasty streak, but Grant's the better all-around player.

The one thing that bugs me with Grant is that he's mired in a franchise situation. That can mean one of two things, either he's going to play his heart out this year to make sure to make the big money at the end of this season, or he's going to become disgruntled and not play up to the best of his ability. I'm hoping for the former, but I would be upset if the Saints lose Grant and receive no compensation.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

If you guys want to watch Drew Brees flying in a Boeing F/A - 18 Hornet, with the Blue Angels... go the NFL.com. It's in their video section. "Saints QB flies with Blue Angels".

Pretty cool feature, they go up 5,500 feet in the air.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
If you guys want to watch Drew Brees flying in a Boeing F/A - 18 Hornet, with the Blue Angels... go the NFL.com. It's in their video section. "Saints QB flies with Blue Angels".

Pretty cool feature, they go up 5,500 feet in the air.
I saw it, and have no idea how Drew didn't get sick... he's just that awesome! :D

That being said, I love his post-flight quote even better:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron
"It's beyond words," Brees told the Imperial Valley Press of California. "It's surreal. This will be right up there next to winning the Super Bowl when that happens this year. This is an experience I'll never forget the rest of my life."
And that's why Drew Brees rules, gentlemen!

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Early rumblings suggest the the Saints *possibly* may play in the NFL Season Opener on Thur. September 6, against the Defending Super Bowl Champ Colts in the RCA Dome.

IndyStar.com

Quote:
The Super Bowl champion Colts will be right at home in the RCA Dome to help the NFL usher in the 2007 regular season. They'll play on Thursday, Sept. 6, in a prime-time game on NBC.

"We've been told to start planning for it,'' team president Bill Polian said Monday.
While New England would seem an ideal opponent, Polian and coach Tony Dungy expect the Saints to come marching in. They think NBC will save the Patriots-Colts clash, a rematch of the AFC title game, for one of the important "sweeps'' periods in November.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

Hello all, i am being the saints gm in the "draft game" league and i would like to know whether weatherofrd or berger is going to be the punter next year so i can trade the other for picks so if you could pm me a response id appreciate it

thanks,
Old 03-21-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
Hello all, i am being the saints gm in the "draft game" league and i would like to know whether weatherofrd or berger is going to be the punter next year so i can trade the other for picks so if you could pm me a response id appreciate it

thanks,
I honestly don't know. That'll have to be your call for now.

I'd expect us to keep Weatherford, as he is younger and did a decent job he should improve. Berger is the more experienced seasoned punter, but he's considerably older and coming off an injury.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Early rumblings suggest the the Saints *possibly* may play in the NFL Season Opener on Thur. September 6, against the Defending Super Bowl Champ Colts in the RCA Dome.

IndyStar.com
That would be an interesting way to start the season. I mean, what better barometer would there be than to play the defending Super Bowl champions? I think that it could be a great game, and would have a good storyline, with the Cinderella story of last season against the Super Bowl champs, with Manning against his dad's former team, and all that good stuff.

I'd be okay with it. :)

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

did anyone else go the the pre-season game this season where the Saints got pounded by the Colts, I went to it and that would be interesting to see how far we have come in a little over a year
Old 03-22-2007, 04:09 AM    (permalink
Beautiful Mind

I've been praying this whole week for Chris Houston or Eric Wright. If not those 2 then Posluzny. We're a couple players away on defense from being a dominant team.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Recently, the Titans signed S Bryan Scott--who I think played for the Saints last season.

As a Titans' homer, I was wondering if you guys could comment on Scott as a player. Is he any good? Good in coverage? Against the run? You know...whatever info you think is relevant...

Thanks...
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Mind View Post
I've been praying this whole week for Chris Houston or Eric Wright. If not those 2 then Posluzny. We're a couple players away on defense from being a dominant team.
I personally don't know a lot about Eric Wright, except someone pointed out the fact that he has off-the-field issues, and I just don't see the new Saints regime going after someone like that. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-22-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicktheGreat View Post
Recently, the Titans signed S Bryan Scott--who I think played for the Saints last season.

As a Titans' homer, I was wondering if you guys could comment on Scott as a player. Is he any good? Good in coverage? Against the run? You know...whatever info you think is relevant...

Thanks...
I honestly can't comment much about him, because he didn't really see the field that much in 2006.

I remember he had a chance for a big fumble recovery in the first Atlanta game but it slipped through his fingers... other than that he was pretty much buried in the Depth chart behind Bullocks, Harper, Bellamy, and Stoutmire.

I think he'll be a good back up, who knows maybe he'll break out if he gets a chance.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

on Saintsreport.com ..........

it has been reported that EJ Kuale (LB, practice squad player) has been arrested on gun and drug posession...and he is currently OFF the saints roster, so he was probaly released...

pretty dissapointing...he was impressive in TC but got injured...and probaly had a shot on ST's this season...
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67 View Post
on Saintsreport.com ..........

it has been reported that EJ Kuale (LB, practice squad player) has been arrested on gun and drug posession...and he is currently OFF the saints roster, so he was probaly released...

pretty dissapointing...he was impressive in TC but got injured...and probaly had a shot on ST's this season...
Just goes to show, Payton doesn't mess around with off the field distractions.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809097

Remember when we signed Michael Haynes? Yeah, well the Jets think he might be able to do something.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

Just curious, this is a question for some of the more knowledgable Saints fans

Which positions are up in the air for players to be competing for the starting spot?
I know that Peyton is not really going to garuantee anyone a starting spot, but which ones are the most up for grabs?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

I agree that Payton is going to make everyone earn their jobs in camp, but these are probably going to be the most contested positions.

FS - Bullocks - Kaesviharn

MLB - Simmons - Simoneau

2nd WR
- Henderson - Copper

CB - Draft picks, Free agents, F.Thomas. (I expect this to be the biggest position battle)
Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I agree that Payton is going to make everyone earn their jobs in camp, but these are probably going to be the most contested positions.

FS - Bullocks - Kaesviharn

MLB - Simmons - Simoneau

2nd WR
- Henderson - Copper

CB - Draft picks, Free agents, F.Thomas. (I expect this to be the biggest position battle)
I agree with all of those (although I think Simmons beats out Simoneau easily), and I'd also like to add TE (Johnson/Campbell/Miller) to the list.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
I agree with all of those (although I think Simmons beats out Simoneau easily), and I'd also like to add TE (Johnson/Campbell/Miller) to the list.
I agree that Simmons should beat out Simoneau easily, but he'll still have to earn the job in camp and unseat the former starter.

The TE battle should be similar, I expect Johnson to win but Miller and Campbell should give him fierce competition.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Some good news, the Saints have agreed to terms with the state officials of Louisiana that will keep them in New Orleans atleast through 2010.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6611582
Quote:
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - The New Orleans Saints have come to an agreement with state officials that will keep the team in Louisiana through the 2010 season.

Both sides agreed to toss out contract exit clauses that would have let the NFL team leave the state within the next four years.

Last edited by Auron : 03-26-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Default Saints to play Defending Champ Colts in Season Opener

It is confirmed now, the New Orleans Saints will open up the 2007 on national TV on the road against the reigning SB Champion Indianapolis Colts. Thursday, September 6th.

Foxsports.com

Quote:
PHOENIX (AP) - The Indianapolis Colts will open the NFL season on Thursday night, Sept. 6, with a home game against the New Orleans Saints.

In what has become a recent tradition, the Super Bowl winner hosts the opening game three days before the full schedule begins.

"The Colts are the Super Bowl champions and New Orleans obviously was a terrific story on and off the field for the league," commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday at the NFL meetings. "We felt it's a great game to highlight during the 2007 season."