Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

I am excited and worried all at the same time, it is going to be awesome to have the honors of playing in the opening game. But the Colts are going to be hard especially with their peyton at the helm, and I would hate to start the season out with a loss if we did lose :(
That is going to be a tough first game for a rookie CB or DB if we do draft one in the first round
Old 03-27-2007, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm already looking forward to it!

Heck of a way to start the season.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:58 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I'm already looking forward to it!

Heck of a way to start the season.
Same here should be a great game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerFoot View Post
I am excited and worried all at the same time, it is going to be awesome to have the honors of playing in the opening game. But the Colts are going to be hard especially with their peyton at the helm, and I would hate to start the season out with a loss if we did lose :(
That is going to be a tough first game for a rookie CB or DB if we do draft one in the first round
Yeah I agree, from a general view point this was a great choice for an opening match up should be an exciting game.

From a Saints perspective this was a tough draw.. especially with the CB situation being the way it is. There's a strong possibility that either Fred Thomas, or a Rookie Corner will be thrown into the fire right away against the best Qb in the league, and 2 top WRs in the first game of the season.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

per Shefter (on nfl network)....

that the Saints, keep knocking on the door of the broncos...asking for Bly (CB) and offering them trades...but they won't give in.
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
msmudcat

I really think we should be looking at maybe dt or og with the first round from what it looks like to me wqe will be settling for the 7th or 8th best player in cb and we might be able to get the 3rd best in the other 2 spots,and if we can stop the run and get pressure on the qb the cb's we have start looking a whole lot better
Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From a Saints perspective this was a tough draw.. especially with the CB situation being the way it is. There's a strong possibility that either Fred Thomas, or a Rookie Corner will be thrown into the fire right away against the best Qb in the league, and 2 top WRs in the first game of the season.
Yeah, it's a scary thought. But it's also going to be interesting to see which Colts' defense happens to show up as well.. will it be the defense that help them secure a Super Bowl or the defense that appeared in the latter part of last season? If there's one team that can put up points with the Colts, it's us. Should be a great game regardless, though.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

The only guy that isn't a CB that I'd like the Saints to draft is Pat Willis, and that most certainly won't happen.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67 View Post
per Shefter (on nfl network)....

that the Saints, keep knocking on the door of the broncos...asking for Bly (CB) and offering them trades...but they won't give in.
Ain't gonna happen now... NFL.com's Adam Schefter is reporting that Denver has signed Dre' Bly to a multi-million, five year deal.

NFL News

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmudcat View Post
I really think we should be looking at maybe dt or og with the first round from what it looks like to me wqe will be settling for the 7th or 8th best player in cb and we might be able to get the 3rd best in the other 2 spots,and if we can stop the run and get pressure on the qb the cb's we have start looking a whole lot better
Um... I don't know if I completely understand, but I disagree with your logic. I think the Saints' biggest need is cornerback, not defensive tackle and definitely not offensive guard.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Bly would've been nice, but there are a lot of good, young corners in the draft that will be cheaper and around longer.

Darrelle Revis is what I'm hoping for but if we landed Chris Houston or Aaron Ross I'd be just as happy.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
The only guy that isn't a CB that I'd like the Saints to draft is Pat Willis, and that most certainly won't happen.
I would absolutely love it if Patrick Willis fell to us at twenty-seven, but as it is, I really think he's gonna get snapped up by the Niners at eleven, and won't fall past (in my opinion) the Steelers at fifteen.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Yeah, it's a scary thought. But it's also going to be interesting to see which Colts' defense happens to show up as well.. will it be the defense that help them secure a Super Bowl or the defense that appeared in the latter part of last season? If there's one team that can put up points with the Colts, it's us. Should be a great game regardless, though.
I agree, this will be a great game, with lots of offense, between the Saints' Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, and Marques Colston and the Colts' Peyton Manning, Joe Addai, Marvin Harrison, and Reggie Wayne.

Like you said, the key is which Indianapolis defense shows up... the one that was slashed and gashed during the season, or the one that shut down the Bears in the Super Bowl.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

I don't think we can predict any of the training camp positional battles until after the entire free agency period and the Draft is over.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post
I don't think we can predict any of the training camp positional battles until after the entire free agency period and the Draft is over.
Why?

It's not like predicting draft picks isn't pointless, too. It's fun to speculate.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
msmudcat

My logic is simply fred thomas started going down hill as the season progressed if we where able to draft or pick up a vetran in june to help him out i think get sombody that can help get some presure on the qb if the qb is running around and dont have all day to throw the ball that helps the cb's out even more. becouse the way im looking at the draft is bpa and not many cb's really look that great they may be good college player but even great cover men in colege never make it to be solid cb's in the nfl and 7 or 8th best cb compared to 3rd best dl that can help couse havoc in the back field and stop the run id take the dl and the word's that SP likes to use is BPA in the draft
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmudcat View Post
My logic is simply fred thomas started going down hill as the season progressed if we where able to draft or pick up a vetran in june to help him out i think get sombody that can help get some presure on the qb if the qb is running around and dont have all day to throw the ball that helps the cb's out even more. becouse the way im looking at the draft is bpa and not many cb's really look that great they may be good college player but even great cover men in colege never make it to be solid cb's in the nfl and 7 or 8th best cb compared to 3rd best dl that can help couse havoc in the back field and stop the run id take the dl and the word's that SP likes to use is BPA in the draft
1. We're not going to take the 7th or 8th best CB in the first round. There are 5 first round CB's in this draft. We should be able to get one of them.
2. There is no way we're going to get the 3rd best DL in this draft with #27, anyway.
3. I hope you weren't serious when you mentioned an OG a few posts up.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Not many CB's look that great?

Darrelle Revis looks to me like he'll be good really quickly, Chris Houston is a stud, Aaron Ross is very polished and Marcus McCauley has upside that is out of this world.

If we got any one of these guys we'd be okay at corner for a while (with the possible exception of McCauley).

We can wait a while to take a DT. Quinn Pitcock or Justin Harrell may well be available for us in the second round.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Why?

It's not like predicting draft picks isn't pointless, too. It's fun to speculate.
Um, maybe because trying to determine what positional battles we'll see in training camp depends that on who we sign and who we draft?

Sheesh.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Another major post-season award for the Saints as it was announced today that Saints general manager Mickey Loomis was the winner of the 2006George Young NFL Executive of the Year.

Read about it on NFL.com: Saints' comeback earns honor for Loomis

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been kind of slow around here past few days. Last post was 2 days ago. So figured I would post this Saints article. Pretty good read.

Payton Wants Saints to Focus

Quote:
PHOENIX -- When Sean Payton greets his players at a 1 p.m. team meeting Monday that will begin the Saints' offseason program at the practice facility on Airline Drive, one of the primary messages he'll deliver is that it's time to turn the page on the 2006 season.

"I just believe you start again at ground zero," Payton said Monday at the NFL's annual meetings. "You don't pick up from where you left off. You go all the way back and start with the quarterback-center exchange, the correct way to take a stance. I think that's important for our team."

Apparently, the time to savor last season's magical run to the Saints' first appearance in the NFC championship game has passed. It'll be time to focus on the present.

And for Payton, that means no looking back, except for how the groundwork was laid for the team's unprecedented 2006 success.

"We're going to have to prepare the same way again this season," he said. "We're going to have to have a good offseason. We're going to have to have a good training camp. We're going to have to have some good fortune with injuries to put ourselves in a position, possibly in a position, to play in the postseason."

Payton said Wednesday he's anticipating perfect attendance at the offseason program that commences Monday with lifting and running for the first month, and the organized training activities beginning one month later.

"There might be a glitch or two with a guy who's got to do something," Payton said. "But we should have everyone there. I'm anxious to see these guys. But I think it was important to push (the start) back a couple of weeks, because it seemed as though these guys were just here checking out."

In Payton's first year, the offseason program began in mid-March. But, he said because of the Saints' extended run in the postseason, he has had to modify that schedule to accommodate some additional time off.

But, Payton said, that also has proved to be something of a test in budgeting his time since the Jan. 21 loss to the Chicago Bears in the NFC title game.

"The challenge coming off the year, and I think it takes place with anyone in the postseason, is immediately when you're in the postseason, you're a little bit behind," Payton said. "And you go a little further into the postseason, you're three weeks behind schedule, assuming your season ended on the last game of the regular season. And then we coached in the Pro Bowl. There's another week. That, on top of some of the demands in regards to whether it's an awards ceremony, or whether it's something in the city, we kind of went through that week, week and a half after the Pro Bowl still getting our work done in regard to free agency and the draft."

Payton said he and his wife, Beth, were able last weekend to sit at a north shore park and enjoy their children's sports activities, son Conner's soccer match and daughter Megan's volleyball game.

"It was the first weekend we had when there wasn't something on the calendar," Payton said. "There wasn't an event we had to attend."

Payton said he has been pleased, thus far, with the Saints' free-agent acquisitions, linebacker Brian Simmons, safety Kevin Kaesviharn and tight end Eric Johnson, but hinted the Saints might not be finished shopping.

"You lay out a plan," Payton said, "but you don't try to manufacture the player. Hey, I'd love to have a corner right now. But we said at the beginning we weren't going to manufacture one.

"That doesn't mean a couple of weeks from now we're able to sign somebody. So far, it's going well. We got a couple of guys on defense we think will help us, a tight end we think will help us. And most importantly, and people lose sight of this, we were able to retain the players we were most interested in keeping. That's very important."

Still, Payton has very definite ideas what the Saints' primary target areas will be in the April 28-29 draft, citing among some concerns, the age of his interior defensive line and his desire to develop young quarterbacks.

"There are some spots on defense we think are important," Payton said. "I don't want to finish this question with every position group answered. But I do think that in the secondary we're probably looking for one, if not a couple of young corners.

"So right off the top, cornerback, defensive line, quarterback, receiver. What's hard to find in free agency are corners, left tackles and defensive ends. You've got to draft those."
Old 04-01-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As we all probably know by now, we didn't get any compensatory picks.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Recent Saints article, news.

Saints Team Report
Quote:
Notes and Quotes

--After being one of the NFL's biggest success stories in 2006, the Saints will gets lots of exposure early in 2007 -- both in the exhibition season and the regular season.

The Saints, who were selected to play in the Hall of Fame game on Aug. 5 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, learned last week that they'll go against the defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts in the regular-season opener on Sept. 6 in the RCA Dome.

The game will be televised by NBC and played on a Thursday night, three days before the rest of the league begins regular-season play. Ironically, the Saints and Colts could have met seven months earlier in Super Bowl XLI, but the Saints fell one game short of the title game.

"The Colts are the Super Bowl champions and New Orleans obviously was a terrific story on and off the field for the league," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in making the announcement at the league meetings. "We feel it's a great game to highlight during the 2007 season."

"It will be like a Super Bowl," Saints owner Tom Benson said. "I think it's a good indication of where our club is going."

--The Sporting News honored Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis last week, presenting him with the George Young NFL Executive of the Year Award for 2006.

Loomis, the Saints' general manager since 2002, was presented the award at the NFL meetings in Phoenix. He won the honor in a vote of 51 owners and front office personnel from around the league after helping turn around a team that went to the NFC title game following a 3-13 season in 2005.

The Saints played the 2005 season away from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina devastated the city and Superdome. Upon their return, Loomis hired Sean Payton and presided over several moves that shaped the club that went on to win the NFC South title with a 10-6 record.

Loomis picked up 16 of 51 votes cast, while Baltimore Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome and San Diego Chargers' G.M. A.J. Smith tied for second with 12 votes each.

--The Saints announced last week that they have re-signed wide receiver Terrance Copper, who was a restricted free agent, to a one-year contract.

Copper was tendered a one-year offer by the Saints at the start of free agency, but was free to accept an offer from another team. Had he done that, the Saints would have had the opportunity to match the offer and retain his services.

Copper was claimed off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys just days before the regular-season opener. He was expected to help mainly on special teams, but had a career-high 23 receptions for 385 yards and three TDs in 2006.

He became a big part of the offense in the second half of the season when Joe Horn was battling a groin injury. In the final eight games, Copper, who played in 15 games with four starts, had 20 catches for 330 yards and three TDs.

--The Saints did not receive any of the 32 compensatory draft picks that were handed out during the league meetings last week.

A team that loses more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory picks up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a NFL Management Council formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.

The Saints were awarded one compensatory pick in the seventh round of the 2006 draft. They used it to take wide receiver Marques Colston, who earned a starting job in training camp and went on to catch 70 passes for 1,038 yards and eight touchdowns.

--Saints running back Reggie Bush hosted a clinic for more than 2,000 youngsters in his hometown of San Diego recently, helping teach the children football and life skills.

Nearly three dozen current and former players helped put on the clinic with Bush, who said the camp was his way of giving back to the community. He also presented $10,000 scholarships to two students at his alma mater, Helix High.

"I'm excited to be able to do this and bring it back to San Diego," Bush said. "This was the starting place for me and a lot of other great athletes who have come out of here. The children are excited and we are glad to have provided them the opportunity to come out here and learn a lot of life lesions and pick up some football and athletic tips along the way.

"I want this thing to be larger than life," he said Bush.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "We're going to have to prepare the same way again this season. We're going to have to have a good off-season. We're going to have to have a good training camp. We're going to have to have some good fortune with injuries to put ourselves in a position, possibly in a position, to play in the postseason." -- Saints coach Sean Payton on his team's off-season program.

Inside Slant

The Saints and the state of Louisiana have reached an agreement that would throw out exit clauses in their contract and keep the team in New Orleans at least through the 2010 season.

According to terms of a 10-year contract hammered out between the state and team in 2001, the Saints could have left by March 31, 2007 by repaying the $70 million in inducements the state has paid out since the contract was signed. The state could have broken the lease after the 2007 season.

But in light of the Saints' 10-6 season in 2006 and the team selling out the Superdome on a full-season basis last season -- and likely to do so again this season -- both sides agreed to cancel the exit clauses.

"For the foreseeable future, Louisiana's team will keep marching to victory right here," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said in announcing the latest development in the ongoing negotiations to keep the Saints.

In addition, the two sides will continue to work on negotiating a long-term deal that would keep the team in New Orleans past the scheduled expiration date on the current contract.

The current $186.5 million contract with the Saints was negotiated in 2001 by former Gov. Mike Foster's administration and involves making annual payments to the team on top of other subsidies through 2010.

While the state payments will continue, Blanco, who announced recently that she won't seek re-election this fall, said she didn't give the Saints more money. But Blanco said the state will continue to upgrade the Superdome, which underwent a major renovation after being severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

"Our commitment to New Orleans has been unwavering," Saints owner Tom Benson said in a statement issued by the club. "I didn't want there to be any misunderstanding about the club honoring the contract. During this period, I anticipate both parties exploring all options available to retain this very important relationship beyond 2010."

Saints spokesman Greg Bensel said Benson, who was in Phoenix at the league meetings when the announcement was made, "is committed over the next four years to get a long-term deal done here and to stay here forever."
News from KFFL.

Quote:
Saints | Team could consider G. Olsen
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 10:35:49 -0700

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints could consider Miami TE Greg Olsen if he falls to them in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Saints | Team will likely add a quarterback during the draft
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 10:30:09 -0700

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints will likely add a quarterback in the middle rounds of the 2007 NFL Draft.

Saints | Payton wants more authority when disciplining players
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 10:29:14 -0700

Jimmy Smith, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton believes coaches should have more authority to discipline players whose off-field conduct is a disruption. "I think this: As a coach, the ability to immediately discipline a player, I think, is beneficial. You can release a player if he's not talented enough and if you feel he wasn't going to be good enough to play at that position. The decision is based on talent. But the challenge is if something else happens, and you release a player, there's a certain protocol that has to take place. I think it's important there's enough teeth in the disciplining a coach has," Payton said.
Hmm someone out there is really pushing the Olsen to the Saints angle...not sure if I'm buying it. If he's the best player left on the board it wouldn't be that bad. I just think we have many more pressing needs to address in the early rounds.

It's pretty much a given Payton will take a developmental QB prospect in the later rounds to groom as a backup.

Last edited by Auron : 04-01-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

If Olsen is the best player on the board (aka there isn't a first round corner left to take) then the Saints should definitely pick him up.

Can you imagine two Tight End sets with he and Eric Johnson split to either side?

I wouldn't mind the Saints taking a DT if there isn't a good corner left, either. Justin Harrell would be a nice fit.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind taking either Greg Olsen or Dwayne Jarrett if both fall to us and there aren't any defensive players that stand out to us for our selection. I'd be content.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Hmm someone out there is really pushing the Olsen to the Saints angle...not sure if I'm buying it. If he's the best player left on the board it wouldn't be that bad. I just think we have many more pressing needs to address in the early rounds.

It's pretty much a given Payton will take a developmental QB prospect in the later rounds to groom as a backup.
I don't believe that Greg Olsen will be available for the Saints at 27, and even if he is, I'm not sure if he's our biggest need. While he could be the best tight end in this year's class, that really isn't saying much. This year's tight end class is one of the thinnest I've seen in years. However, even with that, I think our first round priority lies elsewhere.

As for a development quarterback, the one I'd really like the Saints to target is BYU quarterback John Beck. I realize that he's not the big name quarterback that others like Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russell are, but I really think he has the chance to be special at the next level, and if nothing else, can learn from both Drew Brees and Jamie Martin.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!