Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 05-19-2007, 12:43 AM    (permalink
504 to ATL
Veteran

504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL

In a drill to enhance his cutback agility, Bush jumps from a Launchpad tracking in one direction and executes a 180-degree spin before landing on another Launchpad moving in a different direction. Clarke will bump Bush while in flight, causing Bush to somersault from pad to pad, challenging his ability to land catlike … or else be launched from the Launchpad.

Um I didnt think cutback agility could get any better than where Reggie's is already at? Now that is just SCAAAAAAAARY.
504 to ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now, he just has to focus on going north & south as well.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I think that comes with experience. He was so used to being able to run wherever he wanted to in college because he was so much faster. When you're that explosive it takes a while to get used to the style of the NFL.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I love Reggie but I don't believe all of that. Jones-Drew & Maroney did just fine as north-south runners in their rookie seasons.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 05-20-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished the Deuce McAllister Highlight Vid I said I would make. Deuce HL Reel

You'll have to excuse the last :15 seconds or so don't have any audio, I suck at finding good music. :(
Old 05-20-2007, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Watching that video and knowing that Deuce was playing just coming off major surgery and still was able to produce like that only makes me hope that he can reconstruct his contract. *prays*

Old 05-20-2007, 03:51 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His running style is the reason why he's my favorite Saints player.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah with another year removed from the injury he should have full confidence in the knee, and some extra burst back in his step.

I think every Saints fan wants him to retire a Saint, if he can't I hope he's around here at least for 2 more seasons until Reggie is ready for a full time role.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Finished the Deuce McAllister Highlight Vid I said I would make. Deuce HL Reel

You'll have to excuse the last :15 seconds or so don't have any audio, I suck at finding good music. :(
just for future reference, I'm about to break by Linkin Park is one of the best songs to put on a RB HL video.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah with another year removed from the injury he should have full confidence in the knee, and some extra burst back in his step.

I think every Saints fan wants him to retire a Saint, if he can't I hope he's around here at least for 2 more seasons until Reggie is ready for a full time role.
Sad thing is, and maybe I'm the only one, but I think that the Saints moving up to take Antonio Pittman in the fourth round, doesn't really bode well for Deuce and his future with this franchise. I realize that this year, Pittman will be the new Aaron Stecker; the traditional third-down, change of pace back, but we'll have to see how long he stays in the role before getting unhappy. My guess is, we'll be talking about the backfield of Bush and Pittman in a couple of years.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion Terribletowel, I will keep it in mind for the future.

Regarding Deuce's future, I think it'll be at least 2 more seasons before we worry about the salary cap ramification of having 2 highly paid backs. Pittman will probably be groomed to be the compliment for Reggie in the future, but right now he's not much of a threat to take any time away from Deuce, his most likely situation is taking over for Stecker who was fairly unimpressive last season.

---
Also new Saints team report on Foxsports.

So far just shorts, and helmets but Alleman and Bushrod left good first impressions at camp. Like Bushrod's attitude he seems eager to learn from veterans.

Quote:
Inside Slant
The Saints' coaching staff recently got their first extended look at the players they drafted last month and liked what they saw, especially from a couple of players who project as backups on the offensive line.

Guard Andy Alleman, one of their two third-round picks, and tackle Jermon Bushrod, the second of two fourth-round selections, made an impression on the staff during a three-day rookie minicamp.

Making a good first impression is not a bad thing considering the Saints are seeking some competition in their upcoming Organized Team Activities and training camp, for backup positions along the line.

The Saints went into the draft looking for depth at both guard and tackle and they're hoping Alleman and Bushrod fit the bill so they can be groomed for the future, along with tackle Zach Strief, a seventh-round draft pick a year ago.

"They looked comfortable," Saints coach Sean Payton said of Alleman and Bushrod. "It's a little bit harder with those guys (linemen) because we're in jerseys and helmets. So once we get the pads on and get into training camp, you'll get a better evaluation."

The Saints were enthused abut getting Alleman, who will get a shot to back up starter Jamar Nesbit at left guard, at the bottom of the third round. The 6-foot-4, 302-pounder is an athletic player who began his career at defensive end before making the switch to the other side of the line when he transferred to Akron.

"Alleman's done a good job early on," Payton said. "Those guys are swimming in there, because were giving the linemen a lot of offense and they're getting a lot of defensive fronts. He's handled it well, and he's done a good job of picking up everything we're giving him."

Bushrod, a product of Division I-AA Towson State, has the ability to play numerous positions along the line. But the Saints plan to keep the 6-5, 315-pounder at tackle so he can learn the ropes from starters Jammal Brown and Jon Stinchcomb.

"I'm just trying to soak everything up," Bushrod said. "You have to go into it aggressively. If not, you'll be dominated in this league. And that's play-in and play-out. Sometimes I might not execute my assignment the right way, but I need to be aggressive."

Notes and Quotes
--The Saints announced the signing of three players who participated in their recent rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Signed to one-year deals were defensive tackle Lance Legree and defensive end Anton Palepoi, both five-year NFL veterans, while rookie linebacker Desmond Sims of Arkansas signed a three-year contract with the club.

Legree has appeared in 76 regular-season games with 25 starts since earning a roster spot with the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2001. The 6-foot-1, 300-pounder has 90 career tackles with seven sacks while playing for the Giants and New York Jets.

Palepoi, a second-round draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in 2002, has played in 35 NFL games. The 6-4, 297-pounder has 45 career tackles with four sacks, five passes defensed and a forced fumble while playing for the Seahawks, Denver Broncos and Arizona Cardinals.

--It didn't take Saints coach Sean Payton long to make his first move of the team's rookie minicamp last week, even if the player in question had 16 tackles and four sacks in just two games last season.

Mammoth defensive tackle Walter Thomas, who was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Northwest Mississippi Community College, was sent to the locker room just 12 minutes into his first practice and then cut.

Thomas, a 6-foot-5, 375-pounder who reportedly ran the 40 in 4.90 seconds and can do back flips, experienced conditioning problems shortly after the first workout started and was sent to the training room because Payton deemed him unfit to continue.

"We had to cut Walter Thomas," Payton said later. "He was struggling. Walter had a brief career. It was a situation where, from a conditioning standpoint, he had a long way to go."

--Saints quarterback Drew Brees got some help from his fraternity brothers recently as he continues to look for ways to lend support to the rebuilding effort in New Orleans.

More than 80 Sigma Chi members from across the United States and Canada -- one-third of them from Brees' alma mater Purdue -- came to the city to join with Habitat for Humanity in rebuilding homes in the Upper Ninth Ward's Musicians Village.

Brees came up with the idea through his Brees Dream Foundation. The volunteers spent a week in New Orleans, working and enjoying the city at the same time.

"My selling point to them was what a rewarding experience for you guys, and how much this would help the city I've grown to love in the last year," Brees said. "Obviously, there's a lot of work to be done, but little by little it's going to get done, and the city's going to come back better than ever.

"These guys jumped at the opportunity and rose to the challenge, and obviously they have been working extremely hard. I also wanted them to experience the city so they could go home and tell their friends about it and keep bringing the tourism to New Orleans."

--While no official announcement has been made, the Saints will likely hold training camp at Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss., for the second straight year.

Official word from the club is expected soon.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "He's got a long ways to go. The one thing I don't want to do is tell him something that isn't true. You try to encourage these guys. They're young and they've got a lot of work ahead of them. And yet, they need to understand what you're criticizing them about is constructive criticism to help them get better." -- Saints coach Sean Payton on first-round draft pick Robert Meachem being overweight for rookie minicamp.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

12 minutes??? that is ridiuclous i think i could last the first 12 minutes of a workout. that saddens me.

and note to Auron: It's "One Step Closer" not I'm about to break" just to clarify. i was temporarily confused.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

First report from the Saints 1st day of Off-Season Training Activities.

Looks like one player hasn't missed a beat in this off-season, Drew Brees was said to look quite sharp, and in top form zipping throws to the receivers in drills.

Can't wait for the season to start...

Quote:
The sounds of football were out in force at the Saints' training facility Tuesday as the full team convened for the first day of Offseason Training Activities (OTAs). Head Coach Sean Payton put his players through the paces as the squad hit the practice field for the first time since the conclusion of the 2006 season.

From whistles blowing to coaches barking out instructions to Drew Brees stepping under center and calling out signals, the Louisiana air was filled with noises indicating the team was back to work.

Payton was pleased with the effort put forth by his players in the first of the 12 OTA sessions to take place over the next few weeks.

"It was our first organized team activity and by and large I think it went pretty well," the coach said. "The weather was good, we were a little bit ahead of schedule, and I thought the tempo was good.

"It's always good to get back on the field and get involved in practice and coaching. Starting with all the little things it gives you an opportunity to detail all the things you want to correct from last year and introduce your scheme. It's always good this time of the year to do that."

The pace of the practice was thanks partially in part to the players being in good shape following seven weeks in strength and conditioning coach Dan Dalrymple's conditioning program.

"Dan and his staff have done a great job of working these guys both from the weights standpoint and the conditioning standpoint and it's evident when you watch a practice like this and see where they're at," added Payton.

Running back Deuce McAllister was glad to be back on the field with his teammates, even if it doesn't seem like all that long ago the season was wrapping up in January.

"It seems like there's never enough time off," McAllister said. "That's the way it is with the offseason program after playing in the postseason, but that's a good thing. If we could have that every year with the offseason getting shorter and shorter, that means you're playing in the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl. But it was good to get back out there and be around the guys."

One player who didn't appear to have missed a beat from a standout performance in 2006 was Brees. He zipped passes all over the field and appeared to be in mid-season form with some of the completions he made to Marques Colston and Devery Henderson in seven-on-seven drills.

"It's encouraging because a year ago we were still going through the process of him not being able to throw," said Payton of his Pro Bowl quarterback. "Everything we did with Drew a year ago was more of a walkthrough and it wasn't until training camp that we began to get live throws from him. It's a credit to his timing and the way that he has prepared in the offseason. He's stayed in shape and he came into this OTA today and it obviously wasn't the first time he's thrown. That's a good thing."

The quarterback said it was not by accident that he and his receivers were on the same page at such an early stage of the offseason program.

"We've been doing our throwing sessions twice a week for the last four weeks so we've had some time together," said Brees. "Obviously that has been without any defense but I think you just get to where it's second nature and the guys know the route depths and they know when the ball is coming out of my hand so we can get out there and forget that there's a defense there and just play catch."

After one practice, Brees was already excited about the possibilities for the 2007 Saints offense surpassing some of the gaudy numbers put up last season.

"We have a great group of receivers," the quarterback gushed. "We're already starting to see how it's all going to piece together. I'm excited about our options. Obviously we know what we were able to accomplish last year but I feel like we can still get so much better."

Good sight to see after the lack of Saints news lately. :)

Here's a take from WWL.

Great news hearing about Harper and Ninkovich back in action and feeling no ill effects . Also looks like Colston is trying to get even stronger, he could be a tackle breaking machine after the catch this season.

Quote:
ndeed the tempo seemed as if the squad had been practicing for some time, as quarterback Drew Brees was extremely accurate in passing drills. There were no visible signs of a team out of shape as well, something that had the head coach smiling. “I’ve been pleased really with the off-season with the way we’ve been focused in the lifting and running. It’s nice when you give these guys enough time to get their bodies in shape and then come out and begin to work on football. I think it’s always exciting.”

What has to been exciting to Saints fans is that players like safety Roman Harper and Rob Ninkovich participated in team drills. Harper like last year always seemed to know where the ball was going. Ninkovich according to Payton looked good out on the field as well, both he and Harper are coming back from season ending knee injuries.

Receivers Marques Colston and David Patten stood out. Colston in just one year’s time has gone from trying to make the team to becoming the team’s number one receiver. Colston seems to have taken the challenge to be the go-to receiver in the off-season, as he looks considerable stronger. Colston says he’s put on about 7 pounds of “good weight” since the end of the season. Patten picked up as a free agent signing from the New England Patriots is competing for a spot on the receiving corps. He looked good catching passes but really stood out in an open field drill where he routinely had defenders missing. The drill looks like a punt of kick off, where Patten stood in the end zone and tried to dodge two defenders with full heads of steam.

The team wraps up OTAs on June 14, six weeks later the players report for start of training camp.

Last edited by Auron : 05-22-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

This is the millionth time Auron has posted something JUST as I was about to. DAMN YOU, SIR!! :)

Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Heh news is coming in spades. Was going to post this yesterday but forgot.

Roman Harper was up and running, practicing with the first team. Link

Quote:
Tuesday morning's practice marked Harper's return to the field, and he stepped in where he left off - playing with the first-string defense.

"That was good," Harper replied when asked how he felt to be put back out with the starters. "It felt really good and it shows the confidence that they have in me even though I got hurt last year. I guess they believe in what I did early and I showed them that I can still play a little bit. I'm pretty confident on how I'm coming along."

The former University of Alabama defensive back said that he felt good about his performance on his first day back and felt that the hard work he and the training staff had put in over the months he missed had paid off.

"No, not from what I noticed today," Harper answered when asked if he was concerned that his knee would hold up. "Today was a good learning day and we weren't trying to do too much on it, but as we go on through the OTAs we'll see. It's all mental really, how my confidence comes to jump or plant. You've got to be mentally strong and believe that you're going to make that play when you come out of the break."

One thing that being forced to watch from the sidelines taught Harper was just how much he loves to play the game he's played all of his life.

"It made me hungry. It made me miss it so much more. I've never been hurt before and this was the longest I've ever been away from football so it seems like I've been gone for 12 years, but it's coming along and I'm happy to be back running around out there. It felt good to put on my jersey again."
Also there are reports that Robert Meachem is in considerably better shape than he was in Rookie camps.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

3rd day of OTA's. Just hearing some of the reports to come out of the practices it sounds really encouraging, a lot of players are getting bigger, faster, stronger through out their off-season conditioning.

From the article it sounded like the Defensive Secondary had a very good day of practice. Craft made some plays, in other reports both Usama Young, and David Jones are impressing.

Sounds like Payton really wants to improve upon the Turnover Ratio, finished -4 turnover margin from last season. So that is definitely an area the team can improve upon. Just generating more turnovers, to get the ball back to the Offense.

Quote:
Day three of the New Orleans Saints' offseason team activities saw the team head indoors for their 90-minute morning practice. After two days of work on the outdoor fields, Head Coach Sean Payton decided to hold Thursday's session in the team's indoor facility and liked what he saw.

"All three days we've had pretty good tempo and I've been pleased with that," Payton said. "We went inside today just to change it up and I thought we moved around pretty well."

One thing that stood out about this morning's session was the performance of the defense with defensive backs consistently getting the better of their offensive counterparts in head-to-head matchups. Cornerback Jason Craft was one of the stars of the practice, breaking up a number of throws during seven-on-seven drills.

Working on installing schemes for passing situations, Payton was happy with the showing of his defenders, albeit in a non-contact session.

"I think today defensively we did a pretty good job," said the coach. "It's tough without the pads for the linemen, but it was an emphasis on nickel and third down and I thought we moved around pretty well.

"Obviously the veterans are further along in what we're trying to do and the young guys are learning and trying to get up to speed as soon as possible."

Payton revealed that one of the main points his staff is stressing in 2007 is creating turnovers and improving on their turnover margin. In Payton's first season at the helm, they overcame a minus-four turnover margin which ranked 22nd in the NFL to win the NFC South and the coach knows that creating more turnovers is imperative for repeat success.

"The big emphasis has been us trying to improve in the turnover area," he said. "We finished with 10 regular season wins and were in the NFC Championship Game despite finishing minus-four in the turnover ratio. There's one specific area that I think we can directly improve on and really an area that hurt us in that last game of the season. You can certainly point to that Chicago game and those are big possessions that change the course of a game.

"Both offensively and defensively and along with our special teams - our ability to create more and the emphasis of looking to create more turnovers and obviously our ability to protect the football - that's one specific area (we have) to improve. We were really down towards the bottom of the league and that's certainly not where we want to be at minus-four."

Cornerback Mike McKenzie agreed with his coach and says that he will be taking it upon himself to create more turnovers this year.

"I know I only had one game with a turnover last year (he had two interceptions against San Francisco) so I would definitely like to add to that and all of us guys in the backfield know that we definitely have to get our hands on more balls this season," McKenzie said.

The veteran cornerback went on to say that working against the potent Saints offense every day is a sure way to sharpen their skills.

"We want to make sure our offense is staying on their toes and if we just continue to keep going out there and compete against them we can't do anything but get better."
Old 05-25-2007, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Did a Roman Harper Highlight video.

This was a little more difficult to make seeing as he only played in 5 games total before getting hurt, but I noticed going through the tapes he steadily improved each and every game, and I'm glad to hear he's back in action practicing with the 1st team.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, I have been completely out of the loop these last few weeks after the Draft...

But Auron, thanks for posting all of these recent camp updates...I really appreciate it. Not only have they been great reads, I really enjoy the videos as well.

It just gets me pumped that there's less than 100 days before the start of FOOTBALL SEASON!!! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Just something of interest I saw on NewOrleansSaints.com:

Saints hire Fred McAfee as Director of Player Programs

I, for one, am very happy about this. I really liked Freddie Mac with the Saints, especially since he was a local boy (Mississippi College) and was an excellent special teamer. He also was an adequate backup running back and all in all, a great team player. I'm really happy that the Saints were able to give him a front office job and retain him in some capacity with the team. :D

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 AM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This was a little more difficult to make seeing as he only played in 5 games total before getting hurt, but I noticed going through the tapes he steadily improved each and every game, and I'm glad to hear he's back in action practicing with the 1st team.
Man I can't wait to see him back on the field again. He is such a pure tackler, great fundamentals. Especially loved the body slam, that was awesome.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

No problem Dome Patrol, glad you guys like the vids. I have a few more articles that I thought were interesting.

Article about Colston stepping up as a leader in the WR corps. Really good read, very encouraging to know that he's trying to help a struggling teammate and give advice.

Quote:
Marques Colston was being coy about how majoring in psychology at Hofstra might have given him insight into consoling a struggling teammate. Still, no one had to prod the Saints' second-year receiver to call first-round draft choice Robert Meachem after Colston noticed Meachem struggling through the opening sessions of rookie camp.

"That major (psychology) doesn't help with this heat, so I just try to give him some words of encouragement because you can never have too many playmakers on your team," Colston said after an offseason training session. Colston began participating in voluntary workouts for veterans more than a month ago. During one of those sessions he decided to take a peek at how the rookies were doing in their first minicamp. He saw Meachem breathing heavily and getting yelled at by coaches an experience Colston remembered well.

"I saw him struggling a little bit, and it's not like I don't know that feeling," Colston said. After spraining his ankle during the second day of rookie camp, Meachem sat in a room with reporters, berating himself publicly for being out of shape and generally performing below his expectations. He also mentioned that Colston called him twice to advise him on how to deal with it.

Colston said he alerted Meachem that "there's going to be ups and downs. You just try to keep an even keel. It's a long season. It's a rough season." "You've got a good group of guys around (Meachem) that's going to keep him straight, so he should be all right," Colston added. When Meachem got to practice with veterans for the first time several days ago, he leaned on Colston for advice of a more technical nature.

"I ask him a lot of questions," Meachem said. "When I don't understand something, sometimes coach will be yelling at somebody else, so I ask one of the veterans, 'What should you do on this certain route?'" In brief moments of reflection, Colston seems mystified by how quickly he went from a virtual nobody to taking a leadership role in the receiving corps of what was the NFL's best passing offense last season.

"This business goes so fast it doesn't really give you a chance to look at things in retrospect, but it has been a pretty good journey," Colston said. Last year at this time, Colston showed up at Saints headquarters as a seventh-round project out of a Division I-AA program on Long Island. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, he had the right build for an NFL receiver, but his coaches had little idea whether he had the requisite ability.

Coach Sean Payton often said that if he knew how good Colston would become in such a short time, the Saints would have drafted him well before the seventh round. Payton also recalled during last month's draft, when the Saints picked several more small college prospects, that Colston needed a few months of offseason work before his potential began to reveal itself during training camp.

Anyone who watched the spring rookie camp in 2006 "would have been selling their Colston stock," Payton recalled. Colston said no one called him when he labored through his rookie camp, but he wouldn't have expected that anyway.

"Our situations are kind of different," Colston said, comparing himself to Meachem. "Coming in as the first-round pick, there's a 99 percent chance he's going to make the team. In the seventh round, you're kind of straddling the fence." Meachem, the 27th overall pick out of Tennessee, is not only nearly certain to make the team, but also is expected to compete for a starting job. Like Colston, the 6-foot-2 receiver gives quarterback Drew Brees another big target with speed.

"They definitely look alike, and just from what I've seen and heard about Meachem is that the speed's there to run after the catch," Brees said. "Now it's just a matter of getting him comfortable with this offense and really finding out where his strengths are."

Payton said he was pleased to see Colston help Meachem adjust to the NFL.

"We've got players that aren't selfish and that want to help the team. So whether that's a guy like Deuce (McAllister) helping a young running back or Marques helping a young receiver or Brees helping a young quarterback, I think that exists on our team, and that's something that's important," Payton said. "And certainly, the leadership on your team doesn't just have to come from players with a lot of years in the league."

And if Meachem has the kind of season Colston had, the Saints could be even more prolific through the air. Colston, despite missing two games with an ankle sprain, caught 70 passes for 1,038 yards and eight touchdowns. He caught another touchdown pass at Chicago in the NFC championship game.

Then there's the additional weight of responsibility and expectations that comes with being the No. 1 receiver. Colston said he's not feeling any pressure in that regard.

"We've got a great mix of guys in our receiving corps to the point where everyone can kind of be themselves," he said. "We have more vocal guys ... and guys that go out and kind of lead by example."

Including himself.
----
Also on article on CB Jason David, and how he's adjusting to the Saints Defense, and how he's going to earn a starting job.

Quote:
New Orleans Saints wide receiver Marques Colston towered over newly acquired Jason David at the line of scrimmage in the cornerback's first team session this week.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Colston looked down at David, a 5-8, 180-pound cornerback. It's a problem David has to overcome every time he stares across the line at a bigger, more physical pass catcher.

"I kind of feel like a rookie all over again and that's in all cases," David said. "I come in here to play and I've got something to prove. As far as the playbook goes, it's a lot different than what I'm accustomed to and what we ran in Indianapolis. I've got to get used to the language and the terminology around here."

The former Indianapolis Colts cornerback squared off against quarterback Peyton Manning along with wide receivers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne in preparation for their next opponent.

Facing Colston and Saints quarterback Drew Brees on a daily basis for the next few seasons can only help David's maturation.

"It's the NFL," David said. "Every team is going to have some great receivers. Going against those guys every day has made me a better player. I've learned how to work hard playing with those versatile guys. You've got to go hard in practice every day. I'm going to try to bring this to this defense."

The Saints are hoping David delivers after the team shelled out $16.5 million and a fourth-round pick in April's draft to land a three-year starter who was a restricted free agent with the current Super Bowl champions.

David said no promises have been made by Saints management as to when he'll jump into the starting lineup.

Last year's starters Mike McKenzie and Fred Thomas took the field with the first unit to kickoff OTAs this week. David played alongside Jason Craft with the second unit in his opening practice in New Orleans.

But look at the contracts and it's easy to assume who will be the starter between David and Thomas. The maligned Thomas was forced to take a 25 percent pay cut to remain with the Saints and is in the final year of his contract.

Add Thomas' troubles that began midway through the regular season and were more prevalent in the playoffs, and David could be on the field sooner rather than later.

"I'm just going to do what I'm asked to do," David said. "It's a different situation to where I was. Coming into Indianapolis as a rookie, I kind of got thrown in there. These guys we have here, we've got some older guys.

"If I could just learn from them and become a better player and at the same time compete for my job, that's going to make everybody better."

McKenzie and Thomas combined for 11 interceptions during the last three seasons, while David picked off eight passes alone for the Colts in his first three years in the league. Other competition lurks for McKenzie and Thomas after the Saints drafted cornerbacks Usama Young and David Jones.

"Regardless of where I'm at, if I'm playing football, I'm going to have a good time," David said. "Being in New Orleans and around this team is better than I thought. I'm just trying to learn the playbook and keep rolling.

"The faster I learn the playbook, the faster I'll play."
Old 05-27-2007, 02:11 AM    (permalink
504 to ATL
Veteran

504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL

I didnt know the heat was grueling enough to make Colston lose and inch and shed 10 pounds, haha. Difference in articles.

Im excited about Robert, and our secondary this season. With Harper in there along with David other teams are going to focus on the run once agiain. Good thing we should be better off in that standpoint than last year.
504 to ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 to ATL View Post
I didnt know the heat was grueling enough to make Colston lose and inch and shed 10 pounds, haha. Difference in articles.

Im excited about Robert, and our secondary this season. With Harper in there along with David other teams are going to focus on the run once agiain. Good thing we should be better off in that standpoint than last year.
Just wondering, how did we improve our run defense this offseason? Adding an aging, injury prone MLB? I'm very curious to hear how we will be better against the run this season.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Simmons is at least a little bit of an upgrade over Simoneau at this point. I don't think we'll be much better, but I doubt it'll be worse.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:38 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:

Should have went back to his college days, Auron. ;)