Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Prospect Rankings

Easier when I do this in its own topic. Here's my evaluations. Kind of rushed it at the end because I ran out of time. Please if you're going to comment on something, don't quote the whole post! It's very long. Comments and critiques all welcome! Everything is catered to the Jets, so that did affect how they're ranked a bit.

QB – I am notoriously bad at evaluating QBs and Safeties, so I’m trying to change things up this year. Mostly basing things off their mental abilities, to diagnose defenses, pocket presence, intangibles, and general state of mind. Arm strength, intermediate area accuracy, and mobility also play factors. It’s a work in progress. For reference, I would say the top 4 have a decent shot at being better than Geno.
1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M - An odd year with so many non-Senior QBs in this class. History would say the majority of these guys will bust, but we’ll see. Johnny has it even worse being just a Sophomore, as well as the off-field red flags and concerns about his height. However, he just seems special. He has the mind to play the position, amazing mobility and pocket presence, and enough accuracy and arm strength to get him by. Still a huge risk, but that’s sort of how I view this entire class of QBs. Really my biggest worry with him would just be his ability to really step into throws, how much strain that puts on him also considering adjusting his field of vision, and if adverse weather conditions will really affect him.
2. Derek Carr, Fresno State - Being the best QB at the Senior Bowl usually means you’ll at least be one of the better QBs of the class. He has the strongest arm of the class and decent enough awareness where he won’t completely ruin himself. Surprisingly mobile. I like his mentality and think that in the right offense he can succeed. Very similar to Matt Stafford.
3. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois - A year back Urban Meyer said he was the best QB he saw and I have to trust my coach (we did, unintentionally, uncover Khalil Mack). He’s drawn rave reviews for his mechanics from various sources. I kind of like the pedigree of EIU that he can hang his hat on, and seems to be a very good decision maker. He doesn’t have quite the arm strength you would like to see, and might have to sit a bit to really “invent” himself. Love the quick release.
4. Blake Bortles, Central Florida - “Bortles” just does not have a ring to it, which is my non-scientific way of thinking he won’t succeed. He doesn’t have the best arm strength, spotty accuracy, and lacks the mental capacity to really outsmart defenders. He does have good size, athleticism, and clean enough mechanics that someone can mold him into something. Before the hype train started, when I watched him, I did not think very highly of him. If he gets with the right offense/coach, however, he probably has the skill set to be the best in the class.
5. Zach Mettenberger, LSU - Makes very questionable decisions on and off the field, but is that classic pocket QB that can make every throw. Seems to have turned things around and I think he would make a good project to sit behind a top-end QB that can show him the ropes.
6. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville - He’s this high mostly because of his toughness and his mental makeup. Everything regarding football doesn’t particularly impress me. He does sometimes make great throws, but then he also throws plenty that make you question if he’s paying attention to what he’s doing. Always seems to know where to go with the ball, but it just doesn't always get there. People raved about his accuracy, but I've never really seen it as much as you'd like. Wildly inconsistent. He has decent athleticism, but nothing to really scare defenses. His body type has always concerned me. His upper body seems far more developed than his lower, and being that top-heavy, to me, is a recipe for some sort of injury, but we’ll see. Hearing him in interviews, he also doesn't seem to have complete confidence in himself, or maybe just lacks those leadership qualities, which may turn into an issue.
7. Tom Savage, Pittsburgh - I was set on discrediting him, but watching Savage play, he's actually pretty good. Awful team around him, and he does make some very questionable throws, not the most mobile, and there's the advanced age… but he does have a very strong arm, can go through his progression well, and has experience under center. He would make for a good system QB.
8. Aaron Murray, Georgia - If only he had a better football mind, he could be one of the best of this class. Just seems to crumble under pressure more often than not, and doesn't have a particularly strong arm. I imagine he'll be one of those back-up's that will do well in pre-season but never really amount to much. Or, if in the right scenario, given the time to improve his arm strength, he could be great.
9. David Fales, San Jose State - Very accurate QB that is pretty tough mentally. I think his arm is weak and nothing really impresses you that much, but in the right system he could be useful.
10. Connor Shaw, South Carolina - I like the fight in him, athletic, seems to be able to make most of the throws. A career back-up, but I think he would hold the role well.

HB
1. Lache Seastrunk, Baylor - He just seems special, but maybe that was because I watched some documentary on him. However, on the field, he has short area quickness and breakaway speed that no other true runningback in this class can rival. Based on that alone, he should very easily be able to find his niche in an offense, much like Gio Bernard. His lack of size might be troubling, but with his vision, he’ll be able to find the creases with ease. Might have an issue seeing the field because he isn’t bulky enough really to pass block, but I think the talent as a runner will outweigh any other deficiencies.
2. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State - The most complete back in the class. He has enough burst, power, and pass blocking to succeed and possibly even evolve into a workhorse. He’s not quite Eddy Lacy, but very much in the same mold. I worry that he doesn’t always hit the hole and would rather dance a bit, sort of like Michael Bush, but he always seems to fall forward and gain positive yardage so I think he’ll be fine.
3. Bishop Sankey, Washington - Shifty all-around back that should be a more than serviceable pro. I only have him this low because he has a smaller frame without the plus-speed to compensate, but I like his heart, character, and tools to work with enough that I think he’ll make his way into a rotation.
4. Andre Williams, Boston College - I almost feel the heavy-legged, bowling ball running style deep down somewhere when I watch him run. Clearly can’t catch, but maybe he’ll have a Shonn Greene-like effectiveness.
5. Charles Sims, West Virginia - There’s fluidity to his game. A strong runner that won’t escape many people, but can get the tough yards, pass blocks, and has very natural hands. Maybe a Vick Ballard type.
6. Tre Mason, Auburn - Not quite sure what he offers in terms of pass blocking or catching, but he's explosive as a runner, decent vision, and has the burst to get downfield in a hurry. The lack of size for a physical runner is troubling, though.
7. Storm Johnson, Central Florida - I just like how he runs. I worry he has too narrow of a frame, but he totes the rock too well not to think highly of him. He’s probably one of those guys that won’t “wow” in practice but if he ever gets to see real playing time he’ll just rack up the yards.
8. Terrance West, Towson - He actually doesn’t seem particularly fast to me, but he has some nice cuts and finds the open lanes. Looks to have natural hands. Hard to project a lower division RB, though.
9. Jeremy Hill, LSU - I just don't really see it with him. Sure, he can do a bit of everything, but he isn't good at any of those things and doesn't really have the speed or overwhelming strength to be much of a factor.
10. Dri Archer, Kent State - Much more ATH than true RB, but having to categorize him, this is where he falls. At his size he might be good for like 5 plays a game, but his speed is real and if he gets the ball in the open field there’s a good chance it’ll be a house call. He could be dynamite on Special Teams, as evidenced by his return TDs in college. Could be useful in the screen game.

WR – Expanded this one out to 25 and even cheated at the end there a little. Really tough to rank some of these guys as they were so close. Receivers depend so much on situation in a lot cases that it'll be interesting to see where these guys go. I have some tiers in place.
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson - Even though our (Ohio State's) defense is abysmal and Roby is so overrated, Watkins put on a show in his last game, much like he has done sporadically throughout his career. Dynamic talent. I worry about the smallish hands, the average route running, the injury history, and the consistency issues (that were even called out by his coach earlier on), but when he’s on, he really can’t be stopped. He can do anything he wants on the field.
2. Odell Beckham Jr., LSU - Best route runner in the class, huge hands, knows how to high point the football, enough speed and agility, and a good pedigree. Adds value as a kick returner. Reminds me a little of Torry Holt and Chad Johnson. For me, the best pure receiver in the class that can thrive in any offense.
3. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State - If you look at his 3-cone and short shuttle times, they’re off the charts. Combine that with his route running and production and he’ll be a good one. Really, with the right schemes, he shouldn’t be able to be covered. If a team used him how Welker, Edelman, even a Keenan Allen are used, he’ll be dynamic. If you thought highly of Tavon Austin, you should think highly of Cooks, as he’s a far better receiver. Reminds me of some mix of Isaac Bruce and Steve Smith.
4. Mike Evans, Texas A&M - Actually the most dominant receiver I saw this year. Really can’t be stopped on a jump ball. His catch radius is freakish. I think his attitude is a major concern, but since all of these guys could be divas, I didn’t discredit him too much. On the field, my worry is that he may not be able to get that much separation, and with his average route running and tendency to hold and push off defenders, he might have some trouble getting his way in the NFL. As long as he stays committed and on the field, there’s just about no way he’ll be less than an above average receiver. I also don’t really trust RS Soph receivers to flourish, but this is a strange draft.

5. Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss - The top of the second tier for me, where there’s a bit more of question as to if they’ll live up to their potential. Kind of hard to project considering the ineptitude of Bo Wallace, but honestly looks like he could be a stud #1. Amazing how many times he was wide open and the ball wasn’t close. Terrific speed, especially after the catch, and is a load to bring down. Incredibly physical and vicious, but does seem to let his emotions get the best of him at times. Real sudden out of breaks and fairly solid route running but could use some work. Hands aren’t the best. Reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks. Will probably be frustrating on a few occasions but when he’s on, he won’t be stopped. Expect plenty of people to bite on his stop & go.
6. Marqise Lee, USC - Not the fastest, but coupled with his route running, manages to get open and shake defenders. Decent hands, but also seems to body catch a lot. Dynamic playmaking abilities, but with his lack of  top end speed, it’s a wonder if he’ll be able to replicate that in the pros. I kind of see Santonio Holmes in him, and if he has the dedication to be great, he could even be a fringe #1. Despite my bias against USC receivers, Robert Woods being fairly good has boosted my expectation of Lee, as he was far better than him. Hard to forget about how he terrorized the Pac-12 when healthy.
7. Cody Latimer, Indiana - During the course of the B1G season I didn’t really notice him, but then again, I didn’t pay much attention to Indiana. He also was slowed by a foot injury, so it was kind of amazing he performed as well as he did. Really see Keenan Allen in him, which is why I have to have him high. Impressive hops from his basketball background, route running is solid, and hands are more than adequate. Not the fastest, but accelerates well in the open field. Just a smooth performer, and my only question with him would be if he could really take over a game, or if he’ll have to get into a more volume-based passing attack.
8. Davante Adams, Fresno State - Also a RS Sophomore so there’s some worry there, but this second tier is where more chances can be taken, and with his potential and production it’s hard to overlook him. Numbers were definitely inflated, but he still made a ton of plays and looks to be able to run a full route tree. Takes a bit of time to get up to full speed, but runs good routes and is quick in and out of breaks. The worry there is that he’ll never be able to separate from defenders. He has a thick lower body, almost like an NBA PF, and that coupled with his jumping ability will allow him to box out defenders and be a terror in the red zone. Physically imposing receiver.
9. Allen Robinson, Penn State - For some reason, I don’t trust receivers with big eyes. Makes them look scared. But, beyond that non-scientific evaluation, I also just worry in general about B1G receivers translating in the pros, especially when they aren’t the quickest. Impressive leaping ability, on full display during his highlight reel play at the goal line against Michigan. Pretty solid route running, can run the full route tree, and can make fairly quick cuts. He doesn’t “wow” you with his play though and may just be another in a long line of average B1G receivers that don’t produce as well as their college statistics would suggest.

10. Jarvis Landry, LSU - His post-season numbers were so bad that I originally had him much lower, but I have to trust my initial eye. Love his game. He might not be able to separate that much, but he is a great route runner, attacks the ball, and has fantastic hands. Extremely physical and the blue collar kind of receiver locker rooms love.
11. Robert Herron, Wyoming - Super quick, perfect slot man. He begins a group of four here I have of guys that would excel in the slot. I put him on top because he's probably the fastest on the field.
12. Bruce Ellington, South Carolina - Extremely talented. Crazy he just started focusing solely on football. Makes some fantastic catches and actually plays bigger than his size, but would be a dynamic man in the slot.
13. Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest - Very underrated. Great hands and route running. Really makes the most of what speed he has.
14. Josh Huff, Oregon - Not sure about this one, being a receiver in that Oregon offensive system, but he looked great on the field. Quick and tough.
15. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt -  Just a solid, hardworking receiver. Can do everything well and the right way, and will reliably be where he needs to be. However, he isn’t great breaking the press, isn’t great in jump ball situations, and isn’t exceptionally quick or fast. About as average as average can be. His cousin is Jerry Rice, though, so he might be the next legend.

16. John Brown, Pittsburgh State - Up here mostly based on his crazy deep speed. If he can let the game "slow down" for him, he could really surprise.
17. Martavis Bryant, Clemson - On potential, he's up there with anyone. Makes some spectacular catches and has size and speed. However, he just doesn't have it mentally.
18. Mike Davis, Texas - Really did some work on a few of the top corners in this class, so I'm not sure if that says more about him or them. He doesn't have a star's name though, so he won't be one.
19. Devin Street, Pittsburgh - Very talented, but not athletic enough to move up any further. Does some nice things, but needs to be more consistent, which may or may not have had to do with his quarterback play.
20. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State - I'd like to put him lower, but there's a chance a team that just throws a bunch of jump balls (SEA, NYG, BAL) will make him look good. Old, slow, bad route running, and average hands.
21. Shaq Evans, UCLA - Has some talent, but probably will never maximize it, and not the fastest. Tough, physical receiver.
22. Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin - A refined receiver that can make tough catches, but just lacks the size and athleticism to be that great.
23. Jeff Janis, Saginaw Valley State - Really fast in shorts. That's all I know.
24. Matt Hazel, Coastal Carolina - Decent hands, but might have issues getting separation.
25. Jalen Saunders, Oklahoma/Chandler Jones, San Jose State/Paul Richardson, Colorado /Jeremy Gallon, Michigan - These four present too significant of injury risks in my mind to rank higher, where the first three have wiry-thin frames and the last might just be too short. However, they all have terrific playmaking ability and really flash greatness. If they stay healthy, in the right system, they could really be terrific slot/faux #2’s.

TE
1. Eric Ebron, North Carolina - By far the most game-breaking talent at the position in this class. Doesn’t have eye-popping athleticism, but he’s fluid and has that basketball-esque game to him that always seems to be successful. Kind of seems to “hotdog” it out there and he might be in need of a Mike Singletary moment to unlock his Vernon Davis game. Not a good blocker, but who is anymore?
2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington - I was very hard on him before, but I’ve changed my tune. I’ve come to realize how bad all the other TE prospects are in this class, so he really is #2, and maybe #1 depending on what you want. No one has his size coupled with his jump ball ability and his hands. Former basketball player. He’s surprisingly fast and agile, which if you watched him this past year, you’d be deceived as he was a bit overweight. The blocking isn’t there as much as everyone says, and sometimes he just seems to straight up quit. At least he has the frame and feet to be a very good blocker if he does give it his all. You also have to question his decision making a bit (luckily, the next three guys I have here all have character red flags as well). But, if you want a difference maker at the position, especially in the red zone, that’s where he’ll make his killing.
3. Colt Lyerla, Oregon - If he could kick the Coke for Pepsi, he could be the best in the class. Unfortunately, that’s a major issue and he probably won’t unlock his potential. However, he has terrific ability, can really stretch the field, and is just one tough SOB. Definitely worth a late flyer.
4. A.C. Leonard, Tennessee State - Probably the fastest and most agile of the TEs, and with decent size, as long as he can grasp NFL concepts, he could be a surprise star. Have to question his football IQ, but like Lyerla, worth a flyer.
5. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech - Decently quick, but not really, small hands, and lacks imposing size. Oh, and he can’t block. Also came from a spread that helped inflate his stats and stretch defenses so he had massive lanes to get open in. Otherwise can’t really separate on his own. I don’t expect much from him.
6. Troy Niklas, Notre Dame - Can’t block like everyone says, can have the ball dumped off to him, but not much of a receiver. But, he is a Notre Dame TE, which generally translates into an average TE.
7. Richard Rogers, California - Enough athleticism there to think he might be able to carve out a niche for himself, but not particularly inspiring as a prospect.
8. Jake Murphy, Utah - Put on a show at his Pro Day and has a former Major Leaguer for a dad, so that has to count for something. Also older than the average prospect and doesn't have much burst. Could be a solid guy to check down to. 
9. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa - Not particularly good at anything, and not very athletic, but Iowa players usually translate well.
10. Larry Webster, Bloomsburg - Might end up playing 3-4 OLB, but that just increases his value. I think with some training he'd probably amount to a better TE considering his basketball background and soft hands, but certainly worth giving a shot with his athleticism. Thought about Crockett Gilmore here, who probably needs as much refinement, but has less athleticism.

OT – Went by the general belief that if the guy can play OT, a team would want him there rather than OG, even if that'd be where they'd be more successful.
1. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M - Fantastic technique, great pedigree, athleticism to pull out in space, and just knows the position. Great at diagnosing free blitzers, understanding protections, and being in the right place. A solid combination of strength, agility, and ideal LT measurements.
2. Zach Martin, Notre Dame - Positional versatility, great feet, strength, and the smarts to play the position. Not stud LT material, but can certainly be that solid bookend for a long, steady career.
3. Greg Robinson, Auburn - I'm actually weary of even ranking him this high, considering he's only a 2-year starter, has no technique, doesn't really play that smart, and wasn't in an NFL-style offense. I would venture to say he'll be a letdown, but with his supreme athleticism, it'd be amazing if he wasn't at the very least a capable starter. A team that favors a lot of movement from their linemen, pulling and getting into space, would best suit him. Honestly would be an all-pro at Guard, but probably will never play there unless he becomes a Robert Gallery.
4. Taylor Lewan, Michigan - On talent alone I would rank him higher, but he's just such a dirty player that it's hard to root for him. That coupled with his off-field issues and he might just go tumbling down draft boards/bust in the NFL. However, he's very technically sound and has the athleticism to pull and help in space with strength to boot. Really can do anything in any system.
5. Joel Bitonio, Nevada - Tough player with a big upper body. Maybe a little too top-heavy, but he's athletic enough and offers position versatility.
6. Billy Turner, North Dakota State - I kind of want to rank him higher, but he lacks technique. However, he's one of the fiercest blockers of the bunch and has a great deal of athleticism. The lower body is kind of small which is a bit troubling at least from an injury front, but he should be fine. He would be best somewhere where he's allowed to get in space and do damage out in space. Kind of reminds me of Jon Cooper.
7. Morgan Moses, Virginia - Very fluid feet and is able to get to his spots better than maybe anyone in this class. However, he seems pretty weak and was often driven back into the QB. Actually kind of reminds me a lot of D'Brick coming out (before he bulked up/got fat and now has some strength but lacks movement… sigh).
8. Brandon Thomas, Clemson - Unfortunate that he suffered the injury late in the process, and that's a bit of a worry especially with him being a bit older than most of these prospects, but he showed enough consistently to be a good starter. Probably best at RG.
9. Antonio Richardson, Tennessee - Funny that the year before last the Vols had two top OT and WR prospects and still didn't amount to much. I put "Tiny" ahead of James simply because he was the one starting at LT, and has more room to grow. He wasn't especially impressive, though.
10. Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee - I find it odd that he's getting 1st round noise, considering he never started at LT, isn't overly athletic, and didn't play on a good team. Still, with his fundamentals, he should be a capable starter at RT.

OG/C
1. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State - Huge body with athleticism to allow him to get anywhere he needs. Probably the most technically sound of any of the interior linemen prospects. Terrific balance and never overextends his arms. The typical OL prospect that won't be flashy but should enjoy a long and successful career.
2. Trai Turner, LSU - Another wide-bodied guy that has surprising mobility for someone his size, and is great as a pulling Guard. Will succeed most as a RG with his terrific run blocking. Still young so he can possibly grow into a good pass protector.
3. Weston Richburg, Colorado State - Nastiness at Center, with better movement than any of the others at the position. Hard to say how he is on protection calls, but he ore than held his own against Alabama and with his skill set, I would find it hard to believe that he won't have a successful career.
4. Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA - Actually played a little LT as well, which shows the kind of athleticism he has. Pretty solid as both a run and pass protector, but doesn't offer a lot of "pop", and doesn't really have the frame that I'd like to see in most interior linemen.
5. Dakota Dozier, Furman - Hard to rate him higher when I didn't see much of him, as well as the fact that he's being looked at as a Guard despite playing LT. However, he has terrific feet and appears to be a pretty savvy guy. If he can hold up on the interior, then the sky's the limit.
6. Marcus Martin, USC - Really athletic for a Center, but he has questionable technique and puts himself out of position a lot. Much more of a project, but with a good OL coach he can probably be molded into a good one.
7. Corey Linsley, Ohio State - Solid, but not too great. Made a lot of progress as Center and will at the very least be a viable back-up.
8. Cyril Richardson, Baylor - The move back to Guard was supposed to help him, but he just looked fat and awkward. Because of his enormous size, he might still find himself in a good position maybe as a RG, but he'll have to really work on his technique.
9. David Yankey, Stanford - Not too strong, not too athletic, doesn't have the best measurements, and isn't that nasty. I guess he's mainly on here for the accolades he received.
10. Travis Swanson, Arkansas - A solid, durable Center that was around a long time for Arkansas. Probably not starter material.

3-4 DE
1. Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota - Actually reminds me a lot of Jason Hatcher. Long, athletic, and active, I think he'll be a terror for teams that use their DEs as pass rushers. I feel like there's a misconception about the effort he gives, as with most DTs. Seemed to have a pretty good motor to me, but maybe he just needs to refine his technique to produce more results.
2. Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh - Probably would be miscast in the 3-4, but someone as talented as him can succeed in any scheme. His lack of length is a bit troubling, but considering how fast he is, I really think he'll get to the QB more often than not. Would be best next to large D-Linemen that can cover up for him in the run (or as a part of a rotation).
3. Dominique Easley, Florida - Amazing push. Fierce and active. Terrific motor. As long as he can stay healthy, which is questionable with the ACL problems, he'll be in the backfield often.
4. DaQuan Jones, Penn State - Lives in the backfield. Much more about brute power and heavy hands than speed. Should excel defending against the run. One-on-one he should be able to win a lot of match-up's.
5. Kareem Martin, North Carolina - I kind of see it, but not really. Surprising athleticism. Doesn't seem to quit, but also doesn't really seem to be all too disruptive. A solid guy to put in a rotation.
6. Scott Crichton, Oregon State - Might be too small for the position, but he has pretty good functional strength and great tenacity. In the right 3-4, I think he can succeed here, or bulk up a bit and be more oriented toward run stopping.
7. Anthony Johnson, LSU - Great initial quickness and never seems to give up on plays. Tons of potential but relatively "green" in terms of actual playing time. Probably more of a rotational player, but he can really disrupt the pocket.
8. Will Clarke, West Virginia - Would probably work best in a hybrid front. Long and agile, and should present a mismatch to many slow-footed linemen. Team leader.
9. Timmy Jernigan, Florida State - Can present a problem, but for the most part, he just seems overrated to me. Flashes potential but can't hold onto it, and seems just a little out of shape. If he's successful, it'll most likely come as a situational pass rusher.
10. Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame - Offers some potential, but didn't do a whole lot on a talented line and has the injury issues.

NT
1. Will Sutton, Arizona State - Kind of in the pass rusher mold so you wouldn't generally see his type as a NT, but his body is so wide, he can occupy blockers and push the pocket at the same time. Reminds me a lot of Star Lotulelei.
2. Louis Nix, Notre Dame - A lot of punch, a lot of girth. Needs technique work, often gets put off-balance, but he has the potential to be a good NT.
3. George Uko, USC - Seems a little small light for the position, but this is where he played at USC and it seemed to work. Occupied blockers and can be disruptive. Probably would be good somewhere that asks the NT to be a bit more active, or he might be better at 3-4 DE.
4. Daniel McCullers, Tennessee - Huge. A load to deal with. Will really be able to stop the run. Can occupy multiple blockers.
5. Justin Ellis, Louisiana Tech - Big bodied space eater. Much more of a traditional NT.

3-4 OLB
1. Khalil Mack, Buffalo - A nightmare as a pass rusher. Always creating havoc. Great use of his hands, fluid hips, and gets around the corner in a hurry. Very athletic and very similar to Von Miller.
2. Anthony Barr, UCLA - Very new to the position and will only grow. Great length and athleticism combination. Put up gaudy stats, good character, good motor, and athletic. What's the problem?
3. Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas - No one seems to be talking about him, but he just won DPOTY in the Big 12. Really has put up good numbers while he's been healthy. Injury concerns are valid but nothing appears to be chronic so I wouldn't worry more than I would with someone like AD. Great triangle numbers for a 3-4 OLB. High character, leader of the defense, extremely hard worker, and could be a steal.
4. Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina - I'd like to rank him lower. He has pretty much every red flag you could have. Down year numbers-wise. Got injured. Was out of shape. Wanted to leave for the NFL early so he wouldn't get injured. His coach even called him out for motor concerns. Isn't technically sound. Only a RS Soph. Despite having great straight-line speed, had sub-par agility numbers. Man. And the hit on that Michigan RB was overrated. He does do some amazing things though, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's good in his rookie year and contract years.
5. Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech - Very impressive first step is probably the only thing saving him. Seems to have tight hips and isn't the smartest football-wise. Reminds me a lot of Vernon Gholston, actually, but probably has more passion to play football.
6. DeMarcus Lawrence, Boise State - Very active, but very thin. Nice speed and bend, but he'll probably have to get in the right scheme with the right defense to really maximize his tools, as he'll often get swallowed by bigger linemen.
7. Kony Ealy, Missouri - Fairly slow and doesn't really have the fluidity you would like at the position. Probably would only be good as rusher and fairly worthless in space. Still, he has a great motor and has a powerful frame.
8. Trent Murphy, Stanford - Very smart and decently agile, but not very strong or explosive. Probably would be best in rotation to help out in space, but shouldn't be expected to make impact plays often.
9. Dee Ford, Auburn - Almost every year there's an undersized pass rusher that has a great year, does great at the Senior Bowl, has less-than-ideal combine/pro day numbers, but their ferocity as a pass rusher draws me to them. Well not this year! I will do myself the favor and appropriately rank Dee down here, which will probably mean he'll be great.
10. Kyle Van Noy, BYU - Very rangy and long, and seems to get in the backfield. However, he's not very strong or fast, so it's questionable if he'll be able to do the same in the NFL.

ILB
1. Ryan Shazier, Ohio State - On a different level athletically than the rest of these guys, but also has the production to match. Can blitz with lightning quick speed, best as a chase linebacker, and generally needs to use how fast he is as an advantage. Not very strong, doesn't have the greatest of instincts, and needs to be better in coverage. But as long as he has a D-Line than can keep guys off of him, he should be around the ball a lot.
2. Avery Williamson, Kentucky - Dynamic as an attacking linebacker. Great hips and will excel in coverage. Gets to the ball in a hurry and isn't afraid to mix it up in the trenches. Reminds me a lot of Daryl Washington and Wesley Woodyard.
3. Khairi Fortt, California - Of course he was originally a Penn State linebacker so he has Linebacker U in his blood. Great speed and gets after ball carriers with a purpose. Can stop the run and blitz, and should do decently in coverage considering his natural fluidity. Reminds me of Navorro Bowman.
4. Brock Coyle, Montana - Can do everything. Not particularly athletic, but can certainly get by. Great natural instincts, very solid in coverage, and an excellent wrap-up tackler. Really slept on because he's from a small school, but he has enough athleticism that, coupled with his football IQ, will serve him well.
5. Jeremiah George, Iowa State - Just a good, solid linebacker. Not particularly good at anything but always seems to be around the ball.
6. Christian Kirksey, Iowa - Used often by Iowa as a coverage linebacker, almost working as a nickel corner. Might not be as effective on the inside.
7. Chris Borland, Wisconsin - He's just so small and is really only worth something against the run, so I don't think he can be more than a back-up. Really plays small. Not entirely sure he could take down someone like Big Ben if he was standing in front of him.
8. Shayne Skov, Stanford - Extremely slow. However, one of the smartest linebackers in this class and always seems to be in the right position. Appears able to do a little bit of everything.
9. C.J. Mosley, Alabama - Never once jumped out to me watching him. Really not sure where the hype is coming from. Doesn't seem to be exceptionally good at anything. Added onto that are the injury concerns and I wouldn't consider him until very late.
10. Telvin Smith/Christian Jones, Florida State - My cheating way of having 11. Not really sure what position to put either at, but they're so active and so athletic that with 10 more lbs. for Telvin and some reps inside for Christian, they could be pretty good. Combined they have every skill you would need, but on their own probably don't fit too well into any position and might really have to be drafted into the perfect situation.

CB – I admittedly didn't have enough time to do in-depth research, so this is just based off limited viewings. Not really worth saying much since I've only seen enough of a couple of these guys.
1. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
2. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
3. Phillip Gaines, Rice
4. Jason Verrett, TCU
5. Bradley Roby, Ohio State
6. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
7. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska
8. Pierre Desir, Lindenwood
9. Keith McGill, Utah
10. Walt Aikens, Liberty

S – I don’t know anything about Safeties. Just disregard this.
1. Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois - Next Ed Reed, but he's not that fast and kind of fragile. So maybe he isn't.
2. Dion Bailey, USC - He just makes plays. Seems like he can do a little bit of everything.
3. Deone Bucannon, Washington State - Pronounced "DAY-ON". That's cool. Chiseled dude that really would need to be in the right system, attacking downfield and in the box. Needs the right fit.
4. Hasean Clinton-Dix, Alabama - I don't have too many good things to say about him, but everyone else is a fan… ha ha
5. Calvin Pryor, Louisville - He talks the talk, and he hits hard. He actually borders on being a cheap shot artist. I see fines in his future.
6. Terrence Brooks, Florida State - Probably the better of the two FSU Safeties.
7. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State - Stud. Playmaker. Plays with the little man's syndrome. Everyone should root for him.
8. Ahmad Dixon, Baylor - I actually really like him. I'd move him up further, but I don't know anything about Safeties.
9. Brock Vereen, Minnesota - Very athletic and rangy. May be good, but Safeties in the B1G don't always translate.
10. Nat Berhe, San Diego State/Sean Parker, Washington/Tre Boston, North Carolina - I think Berhe makes his own highlight tapes, Parker I've always liked at UW, and UNC players lately have translated pretty well.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 05-07-2014 at 02:01 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where are the kicker and Punter rankings?

In all seriousness, that was a great read.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For what it's worth, my guys in the draft, regardless of how great they will be, are...

Jimmy Garoppolo
Bishop Sankey
Lache Seastrunk
Odell Beckham Jr.
Brandin Cooks
Jarvis Landry
Eric Ebron
Billy Turner
Gabe Jackson
Dominique Easley
Jackson Jeffcoat
Khairi Fortt
Avery Williamson
Brock Coyle
Kyle Fuller
Phillip Gaines
Lamarcus Joyner
Ahmad Dixon
Sean Parker
Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I skimmed some. I disagreed with several prospects but who am I to think that I am better than you. lol.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Haha when we draft all the guys I don't like you can tell me why I was wrong.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Haha when we draft all the guys I don't like you can tell me why I was wrong.

I better wait for Derza to put a long comment so my comment may be buried somewhere there.

Wrong is a strong word, though.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I better wait for Derza to put a long comment so my comment may be buried somewhere there.

Wrong is a strong word, though.
No long comments from me until after the draft! I've typed enough over the last few weeks. Time to give my fingers a rest.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:23 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Looking at where he got drafted and why, I probably missed on Marcus Smith. He should be somewhere in my second half of top ten OLBs. I knocked him too far for the lack of strength I saw.

My WR, CB, and S rankings were thrown together last minute, so Pryor could probably rank anywhere below Ward, (or maybe even above him... I don't know safeties despite my love for them) but hoping he's a monster. At least he's a guy I'm a fan of, unlike when we took Wilson or Coples.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 05-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Jets Draft Grades
1. Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville – B – I was never completely sold on the guy, but he certainly makes plays, has good hands, and can hit like a truck. I certainly think there were better options, but he might be a good fit in Rex’s D. A little troubling is that with his already poor tackling form and now all the talk of his hard hitting, I wonder just how many tackles he will miss. He’s not huge so injuries should be a concern with the way he plays. He doesn’t have immense range so I’m interested in seeing who will help defend deep. He is the most talented safety Rex has had here though, so maybe he will be used much like Vaccaro. I doubt he’s going to end up being the leader of our defense though, like some in the media had predicted. The big thing here is if he'll develop into a Polamalu level of Safety, Whitner/Goldson as he compared himself to, or some Bernard Pollard type. Judge Dread. Remember the nickname.

Pick Analysis: "That is a really interesting pick. If you remember Bob Sanders in his prime in Indianapolis, this guy is a bigger Bob Sanders. He is maybe the most fearless defensive back I saw on tape this year. He flies around the field and makes plays. I think he's a little better on the back end than he gets credit for." -- Mike Mayock

2. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech – B - So, this was originally a C+, but he’s completely won me over since being drafted. All he talks about is not letting us down, working hard, #JetLife, and everything you’d like to hear. I still think there were more dynamic talents available at the time of this pick, but it’s fitting that he reminds me of Brent Celek and Marty already made him successful. I think the ceiling would be Pro Bowl form Jeremy Shockey, a guy who brings attitude to the offense, makes some tough catches, and drags a defender or two along for the ride. He’ll have trouble separating and he’s top-heavy which won’t do him any favors, but at the very least he’ll be an upgrade for the position and gives us some size in the RZ.

Pick Analysis: "I like this pick a lot for the Jets as they try to fortify their offensive firepower. He is a physical route runner. He gets into seams very well. Once he catches the ball, he becomes an excellent ball carrier." -- Charles Davis

3. Dexter McDougle, CB, Maryland – A- - Well, he looked remarkable for the games he did play this past season, but that’s a small sample size and the injury concerns for something with his frame are troubling anyway. However, he’s proven to be a big-time leader. I mean, he even had an award named after him this past season while he was injured. Every story you hear about him is great. He has the hips to mirror just about any receiver, and the long speed to catch up on most routes. He might just be a nickel, but if his body holds up, he has the skill set and savvy to play on the outside at a high level. Possibly a steal. Actually my favorite pick in the entire draft class, and I'd rate this higher if the injury concerns weren't there. Is it lame if he gets Dexter's Lab? Maybe "The Scientist".

Pick Analysis: "He can run. His stock and trade is speed; he can flat out fly. If you want a guy who can get up and go, this is your guy." -- Charles Davis

4. Jalen Saunders, WR, Oklahoma – A- - During the season, he was one of the most dynamic receivers there was that I saw. He just couldn’t be guarded. I find it funny that every WR/TE we took had QB issues, so it seems like we’re trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Saunders is super tough for his size, but he’s so small that it’s hard to believe he’ll be holding up all season very often. Very good hands, super quick, great routes, and will probably be the fastest receiver we have. I would expect on 3rd downs that if we have him and Kerley on the field there won’t be many times we won’t convert. But I’m sure many are surprised, in a class like this, why we would wait this long for our first WR, and one as limited to a specific role as he is. However, he should instantly become our PR and has dynamic qualities that can instantly boost our ST unit. It would have been interesting to see if they would have taken him had Dri Archer still been on the board.

Pick Analysis: "Saunders weighed in at a hefty 165 pounds at the Senior Bowl. At 165 pounds, he's one of most physical receivers in football; he ear holes defensive backs. He can play in the slot or on the outside, and he can also play special teams." -- Mike Mayock

4. Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA – A- - Someone compared him to Cotchery, but he’s neither as reliable nor does he have as limited of potential. He’s surprisingly fast, fairly physical, and is a big body useful in those situations where you need someone to go up and attack the ball. He profiles as a #2 and to me, is similar to Boldin. Could be a steal if he can live up to his potential. The Big Aristotle. Shaq Diesel. Hulk.

Pick Analysis: "When you look at what the Jets have done this offseason, they're trying to give their quarterback some help and give him some weapons to play with." -- Daniel Jeremiah

4. Dakota Dozier, OL, Furman – A – He has to transition to Guard, but he seems very smart and I love his footwork. He’s got a nasty side and very well-rounded. I think he’ll be huge in the run game, but he could develop into a top-level pass blocker. If he stays healthy and on track this could be a Pro Bowl Guard we’re talking about.

Pick Analysis: "Dozier's draft stock rose tremendously since early in the 2013 season and continued through a very good performance at the East-West Shrine Game." -- Gil Brandt

5. Jeremiah George, LB, Iowa State – B- – Really big thumper. He attacks downfield and despite his size, should fair well in the run game. Him and Demario could do some damage against the run, but there's not a lot there in pass coverage. For the time being he should help out a ton on ST. I mean the man rep's Shark Week 365, he has to be cool.

Pick Analysis: "George had a good positional workout (at Iowa State's pro day), but he's going to have to get bigger to play linebacker in the NFL. He weighed in six pounds lighter at Iowa State's pro day than he did at the combine." -- Gil Brandt

6. Brandon Dixon, CB, Northwest Missouri State – C- – I realize they're trying to create competition at CB, but now it's kind of crazy. They're almost guaranteeing 2 or 3 decent guys getting cut. It might not save a lot of room for development if they're looking for the best right now. He has a lot of the desired measurables, but he might not have the position down mentally.

6. Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska – C – Holy cow. It's actually painful watching him try to catch the football. I don't think that's where his future is at, and in the past he talked about his true calling being runningback, so... I say he should move to defense. He laid some huge hits on DBs and he should be great on ST. Him as a gunner would be deadly. If, for some reason, they can make him a natural catcher, he has the size, speed, and physicality to thrive at the position.

6. IK Enemkpali, LB, Louisiana Tech – C- – Actually, I would say he was the most impressive on that La Tech DL, even though he wasn't the most hyped. Extremely slow out of the gate, but he plays with great leverage and is fierce and powerful. If he improves his technique to the point where it doesn't matter how slow he is, or he's able to get more explosive with an NFL strength & conditioning program, he might just be able to see the field as a pass rusher.

Pick Analysis: Enemkpali played defensive end at Louisiana Tech, but was put through workouts as a linebacker at his pro day.

6. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson – A – At this point, he's about as talented a QB as you can find. Really went to the perfect situation. It's funny that he compares to Romo as he'll be in a similar scenario where the Coach/FO will probably keep him on the team for a while for the potential, he's elusive, deceptively strong arm, accuracy comes and goes, suffers from some mental lapses, and is creative. If he's going to become a franchise QB, this is absolutely his best opportunity, and the Jets were right to gamble on him.

Pick Analysis: "I think he brings some important things, including arm talent. At his pro day, he put on a show. He's as athletic as can be. He reminds me of Troy Smith when he came out of Ohio State. At this point in the draft, to get a guy with that arm talent and athleticism is pretty exciting." -- Mike Mayock

7. Trevor Reilly, LB, Utah – A – Kind of lanky, the knee issues are a concern and he is 26, but man, what a steal. Can't beat it at this point. It's a shame I didn't watch any of him pre-draft. He's really what I initially thought Kyle Van Noy was. Extremely fluid in coverage. Smart and relentless getting to the QB. If he can hold enough bulk while retaining his agility, he could be a major factor as a pass rusher with the skills to play all 3 downs. Considering how late a lot of pass rushers turn it on and the fact that he isn't a traditional 26 having gone on a Mission, he should have plenty of years in the tank. Would not at all be surprised if he makes the team and could very easilyy see him taking Pace's role once he's gone.

Overall: B+ – I think everything relies on our Day 3, as that's where I think we have a lot of potential for impact players. Our 1st and 2nd rounders, in my estimation, were not BPA, so while they were solid picks, I think we could have done a lot better. If we can at least get 5 starters/major contributors out of this draft, I think that would be a pretty big success, but the hope is that we find some Pro Bowl talent (which, even though I use that, I find it funny because the Pro Bowl is voted on by the fans and is very much a popularity contest and therefore not a good measure of actual talent, but it's hard to say someone is All-Pro because then they're the absolute best of the best, so you have to say Pro Bowl level... I digress).

Divisional Draft Grades - These are the best and worst picks for each team in the AFC East as I saw it.
Patriots
Best – Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan – Hard not to say Garoppolo, but he is more than likely 3 or 4 years out from starting if it’s with the Patriots, which is kind of a stretch to evaluate. Getting Gallon in the 7th is awesome. He’s torn up the B1G with sub-par QB play for quite some time now and I could very easily see him become the new Welker.
Worst – James White, RB, Wisconsin – Easy to harp on the OL picks, but you can never have too much depth there and all those guys could end up being starters. White just never was that spectacular and he’ll probably get lost in the mix. Doesn’t really offer them anything that the others don’t.
Overall – B- - Very unsexy, but savvy draft. They could very well have no one from this class contribute this year, which kind of puts a damper on things considering they have a limited window with Brady. But then again, they may have shored up their OL, Gallon, might be perfect for them, Jimmy G may be the future, and Easley may offer major disruption in the middle and healthy could be a Pro Bowler.

Dolphins
Best – Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota State – Love his potential. I hear they’re maybe kicking him to Guard. Fierce and super athletic. I really do love Landry and Matt Hazel may end up being an even better fit for them, but those aren’t game breakers. They may be perfectly reliable options, but they probably won’t change their offense more so than Hartline does or Bess did. The OL help
Worst – Ja’Wuan James, OL, Tennessee – I think Arthur Lynch is booty, but he was a later pick anyway. James kind of confuses me. A guy that isn’t that athletic, RS Senior that only played RT. I don’t envision him being very great, but he also doesn’t have a lot of expectations since he’s playing RT again. He really just can’t embarrass himself out there.
Overall – C+ - You could say they should have gotten more explosive on offense, and maybe get a real power back there (Hyde would have been deadly), but they at least tried to fill their main holes. A lot of solid, but not flashy picks. The only issue here is that they may not have drafted an impact player.

Bills
Best – Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke – Sleeper best pick. Duke’s D was just extremely impressive this year and he was as much a factor as anyone else. Plus, I loved hearing Bills fans at Radio City chanting, “I love the ****!” Corner depth is always important and I feel like he can be a contriby
Worst – Cyrus Kouandijo, OL, Alabama – I just think this might be a wasted pick. He didn’t appear very good healthy, and with all the injury concerns and everything else I’m not sure he will contribute.
Overall – C- - A few years down the line they might only have 2 or 3 guys that stick out of this class. I don’t particularly like any of their late round selections. Sure, Sammy Watkins is good, but trading a 2015 1st for him is crazy, especially considering that the Bills could realistically have a top 10 pick. He isn’t at the level of prospect of a Julio, AJ Green, Dez, etc. But, they better hope he’s at least at that next level or this may look mighty foolish. And, beyond that, just a very uninspiring class. And when they didn’t get Hyde they traded for Bryce Brown. Hope this doesn’t get them sent to Toronto.

Best Draft Fits - These are three of the best picks I thought were made based on where they went.
Round 1
1. Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State – New Orleans Saints – Is there a better marriage of team and talent? He will destroy teams on that turf and is far more dynamic than Sproles. Brees will have a field day. They’ll be moving him around the field so often I doubt he’ll be touched.
2. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh – St. Louis Rams – Who will be able to stop that pass rush? Quinn, Donald, Brockers, and Long might be the best front four in the league, and they even have arguably the best front seven. True, he’s undersized, but they’ll have a rotation and Fisher will put him in the best position to succeed.
3. Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State – Pittsburgh Steelers – Dick LeBeau will make him terrifying. Shazier and Timmons will be the second best interior LBs in the league. He’ll be blitzing like none other and will revitalize that D in a big way.

Round 2
1. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – They quickly created a basketball team there, and it’s hard to imagine any QB having issue succeeding. With V-Jack and Evans on the outside, teams will be forced to put either a LB that is too slow or a SAF that is too small on ASJ.
2. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State – Oakland Raiders – To be able to wait until the 2nd and get what arguably might be the best QB in the draft and the only Senior one to go up until this point, well, that’s a win. He might not pan out, but he’s got the smarts and receivers perfectly tailored to his big arm.
3a. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State – San Francisco 49ers – He is almost exactly like Frank Gore. To get the younger version while they can still use Gore to mentor him is a recipe for success. Fits the style of the team perfectly and should be battling Michael, Ellington, and Stacy for best back in the division for years to come.
3b. Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado – Seattle Seahawks – So many good picks this round, but I had to at least highlight this one. P-Rich is the type of guy that you just need to throw it out there deep and he’ll go get it. That’s perfect because Russ pretty much just chucks it up and relies on his receivers to make the play. Richardson gives them a dimension with the deep ball that not even Percy can assist them with. If he stays healthy, he could be a monster (but that’s a big “if”, since his legs make Sherman’s look massive).

Round 3
1. Gabe Jackson, OL, Mississippi State – Oakland Raiders – For a team that famously missed out on OL in FA to get who I thought was the best OG in the draft I would say is a win. He should be an instant starter and will add beef to their line. Should help both in the pass and rush game.
2. Josh Huff, WR, Oregon – Philadelphia Eagles – You would have to assume Chip knows his guys pretty well. I always thought it was telling if a college coach transitions to the pros and still wants someone from his team. Huff should be dynamic in the slot for them. Big explosiveness upgrade over Avant.
3. Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss – Indianapolis Colts – Super athletic raw specimen that not only gets Luck as a QB but Reggie Wayne as a mentor. He, Hilton, and the two TEs perfectly compliment each other and if they get that running game down, they’ll have quite the offense to contend with for years to come.

Round 4
1. Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina – San Francisco 49ers – Perfect slot man for them. Can also help on trick plays. They’ve really upgraded their receiving corp and he’ll actually be the most dynamic guy they have at WR.
2. Khairi Fortt, LB, California – New Orleans Saints – Dynamic LB who will be loved by Rob Ryan. I see him doing big things in that aggressive D.
3. Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College – Seattle Seahawks – I was tempted to go DaQuan Jones, but I’m pretty sure they’ll be in a 3-4 so he might not have that much impact. With KPL, he’s in the same mold as their other LBs, and could instantly push for time.

Round 5
1. Avery Williamson, LB, Kentucky – Tennessee Titans – Impact LB that could round out that group they have. If he comes to form they might have one of the best 4-3 LB groups there are.
2. Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State – Jacksonville Jaguars – At this point, why not gamble on the talent? Fast for a SAF, super fast for a LB. 20 more lbs. and he could be a perfect WILL for them. If they can find a place where he works, he has a shot to be a mismatch that can really defend on the edge.
3. Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh – Dallas Cowboys – He’ll help add height to their receiving group and could very easily find a place. Probably projects best as an X and might only be for depth, but if someone goes down, I think he’ll catch on (Ha!) quickly.

Round 6
1. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor – Washington Redskins – Holy cow. How’d he fall this far? Exact same situation as Andre Ellington. If RGIII holds up, they will absolutely have the most dynamic offense in the league. Lache is a perfect compliment to Alfred Morris. The most explosive runningback in the class running behind that big line will make a killing.
2. David Fales, QB, San Jose State – Chicago Bears – A very perfect marriage here. Actually, I think every QB guru that could use a developmental QB found one in this draft. Fales is tough and heady and much more in the McCown mold, which seems to fit the offensive system the best. He’ll have to improve the arm strength a bit to cut through the wind, but he landed in his perfect situation.
3. Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU – Tennessee Titans – At this point, why not? The injury issues may be a concern, as well as the mental side to things, but he’s huge and has a huge arm and Whisenhunt may be able to do something with that.

Round 7
1. Mike Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest – Baltimore Ravens – If he can stay healthy, he could be a real pain in the slot. They’ve seemed to have rounded out their receiving corp very well, similarly to the 49ers (not surprising). He’ll really be able to carve up the underneath stuff while brothers Steve and Torrey stretch the D.
2. Storm Johnson, RB, UCF – Jacksonville Jaguars – Maybe teams were scared off by his upright running style or narrow frame, but he’s explosive with solid vision and ample versatility. Getting a guy like this at this point may prove to be a steal.
3. Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor – Dallas Cowboys – I don’t know. I like him, but I don’t know Safeties. They need defensive help in general, so I’m sure he’ll fit in.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 05-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:54 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I forgot to post this earlier, but given how the board fell, this is what I would have done with our picks:

1. Brandin Cooks, WR - A Quarterback of the defense would be nice, but ultimately what will make or break the defense will be the pass rush. On offense, we simply need dynamic talents. Cooks would have brought that. With the way Marty moves pieces around, he would have been simply unguardable. True, Saunders is very similar, but Cooks is just a bit better in every regard.

2. Cody Latimer, WR - There were actually a handful of WR talents available at the time of this pick. Might not have gone wrong with any of them, but I think the best fit would have been Latimer. He, along with Robinson, ran the most precise routes, which would have been most beneficial to Geno. However, we also need someone to stretch the field opposite Decker, and only Moncrief rivaled him in that regard. Moncrief's personality rubs me the wrong way though, so I think Cody would have been the best compliment to the offense, able to stretch the field, be reliable, and bring size in the RZ.

3. Gabe Jackson, OG - To me, the best Guard in the draft, and in the 3rd round that's not bad. Very similar situation to Larry Warford last year. I think he can do it all and would be a far better fit at LG than Winters, who then could compete for the RG spot. While I do love the McDougle pick, the game is won in the trenches (which the Jets still haven't really figured out), and with Brick tailing off, we really need to be looking at rebuilding the line with more than stopgaps.

4. Khairi Fortt, ILB - So explosive, like getting a better built Shazier in the 4th. He probably would be the best fit for Rex's D at this point with his ability to rush the passer and navigate through blockers. Pretty sure he could do everything and he'd be perfect next to Demario.

4. Dakota Dozier, OG - Loved the pick and would still advocate for it. Huge potential here and in this scenario could theoretically take the RG or RT spot (and in the future, maybe even the LT spot). He has that kind of ability.

4. Pierre Desir, CB - Well, I guess we need to take a chance on a corner at some point, and he's just as good as any others in the 4th.

5. Lache Seastrunk, RB - I wonder if we hadn't secured Chris Johnson we would have actually made this pick. Even with him, I'd take Lache. CJ will, at most, only be around for 2 years. Seastrunk could really change our offense, and with him, Cooks, and either of our mobile QBs, it'd be an awfully hard offense to defend. You could have him and Powell/Ivory on the field quite often.

6. Tajh Boyd, QB - Still love this pick. Really, the hope is that Geno will run away with the job before Boyd even gets a chance to remake himself (which, don't get me wrong, he has to if he's going to reach franchise QB levels), but there's great potential here. Boyd has all the necessary tools to succeed and is in the perfect situation here. And, if Rex is right about his leadership qualities (and everyone from Dabo on down have concurred), I doubt he'll be leaving the team anytime soon. Honestly, the main thing he has to do is solidify his throwing mechanics, and once he does that, the accuracy will come as well as the requisite arm strength. The rest is there.

6. Trevor Reilly, OLB - Really hope he flourishes. He's very much in the mold of the LBs Rex likes, and while not flashy, I think he will make his presence known.

6. Jackson Jeffcoat, OLB - Still don't understand this one. Has it been explained why he went undrafted? There couldn't possibly be that many better pass rushing prospects, and his measurables beat out most of them anyway. And he had better production than the majority. Oh well. Hope the Seahawks make him a monster. I would have gambled on more pass rushers this late, ones with a little more explosiveness than IK (though he does have a nice first step). I guess it's really about preference here, but hopefully they made the right decision. Maybe Jeffcoat was my 2014 version of Alex Okafor/Brandon Graham/Eric Norwood/Chris Gocong/etc., but hopefully he will be my Jamie Collins.

6. A.C. Leonard, TE - At this point, I don't see why you wouldn't gamble on the talent. You can certainly cut them at any time, so why not draft both crazy TE prospects? They have more natural talent than almost every prospect in this class. Leonard is very much in the same mold as Jordan Reed, and should probably be used the same. In a Wishbone or as a Y-slot or even in the backfield flexed to the side, he could wreak havoc on linebackers and nickel corners alike.

7. Colt Lyerla, TE - I hope GB makes him great before he goes crazy. Think of the mismatches we would have if we had Lyerla and Leonard. It'd be Gronk and Hernandez on and off the field. Amazingly talented.

Overall: People might not have liked the strides we'd take (or lack thereof) on defense, but our offense would be lightyears ahead of where it is now. We'd be extremely dynamic with terrific depth to boot. In addition, some impact players for the future could make their claim on defense, while the holdovers do the job for now. Antonio Allen seems to keep getting the raw end of the deal. Same with Walls. Good thing next year will be a great class for pass rushing OLBs. To me, it's clear they didn't really go BPA. They identified SAF and TE as two positions that lacked depth in this class, so they attacked those early, and then went with a shotgun approach later in the draft for deep positions like WR and CB. Sure, that's fine if you want to touch all your bases, but I think you should be going for the most impactful people, so hopefully we found some good ones. It'll be interesting to see how these hypothetical picks do in their actual homes. My main reasoning for these moves would be to bring mismatches (speed) to the offense and to help Geno. Despite all they did, I wonder if they truly helped him enough. Honestly, he wasn't given crazy amounts of talent despite all the big names, so if he takes a big leap in Year 2, I think that says a lot more about him than what they gave him.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 05-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.