Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Thanks for the stats and the work... very telling...but Im pretty sure if you didn't look any of that up everyone still would have known (unless theyre blind) that finishing is our issue.

We missed LC yesterday and Im kinda scared that hes gone bc he said 95% of the reason he was back with the jets was pennington. While the loss of coles is scary what is scarier to me is that clemens has that relationship with mccareins which may keep him around...God help us.

Some other research done...Pennington as I said before made an 1 hr 30 min presentation to the jets brass on day 2 of the draft pushing for randy moss and how they had a great connection. There is a rumor out now that came from a Jets' anonymous employee (obvious reaosns) that said the Jets made no move despite Pennington offering a pay cut and getting Moss to play with an incentive clause bc they were determined from the beginning to eventually make the move to Clemens. Whether or not that was a sacrifice of the season cant be proven, but it makes sense to think Mangini wanted to clean house of players that were there before he came in... Vilma, Robertson, Pennington, Kendall, Mawae, Abraham. Im not saying we tanked the season on purpose (though theres a lot of evidence for conspiracy theorists) Im saying I could see a dynamic draft next year as Mangini might want to bring more of his own guys in and let a lot of guys go who are remnance of the Herm days. (Ellis, Baker, Coleman, Pennington, Robertson, Vilma, Dyson, Miller, maybe even Coles)

Too bad Raji's not coming out...hey BroadwayJoe hop on the Green line from Northeastern to BC and tell him the Jets will draft him HIGH if he just says f%$k it Im going to the NFL this year.

I want a NT (you know), LG (so brick and mangold look as good as last year), RT (so laron landry wont kill clemens next time), LE (bc ellis is too small...OKAM), OLB (Groves, nuff said), CB (Dribble #2 oh hew yea), WR (almost anyone 6'4''+), ILB (to go with Harris moving forward after Barton's gone)

-As of next year I think 39 year old FA keith traylor may be our best option for NT for 1st and 2nd to help the run D and then have Pouha maybe Mosley for 3rd.
-Faneca for LG or young guys like Jordan Grimes or Roy Scheuling in the draft
-Barry Richardson is a monster and would be a great RT to run behind. Tony Hills as a backup option in the draft.
-Like I said Frank Okam LDE 3 DTs on the line the way a 34 should be run...Coleman, NT (Robertson, Traylor), Okam.
-After trading down from the 5th spot the NYJ select OLB from Auburn Quentin Groves.
-Wouldn't mind picking up a dejuan dribble, trae williams, antoine cason, or mike jenkins (deep CB draft...can't be our 1st pick again though our pass rush sucks...although i would love malcolm jenkins)
-Ernest Wheelwright, Marcus Monk, or Limas Sweed (could you imagine if his injury dropped him into the early 3rd mmmmmm)
-Jameel McClain for a later round ILB would kill someone with Harris (or ray lewis whoever) [figuratively speaking of course]

IMO: The most realistic order we address our needs via the draft (based on the talent not the need itself...just in a rough mock up of how the draft may fall as of today + or - about 1000000000000000 factors but still let me know how you think itll play out...

A) OLB
B) DE
C) RT
D) CB
E) LG
F) WR
G) NT
H) ILB

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 11-05-2007 at 12:52 PM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was playing with a site, and made these Unis. The Jets havent had success that they want with the current. I wouldnt be mad if we changed.

Ive always liked the simple, all white look.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I noticed you guys have Abram Elam on the team... how has he played at SS I assume??
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:47 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

he's played surprisingly well. hes not as powerful as Roy Williams but hes not an exclusive in the box player either. He can hit hard (play the run) as well as play coverage and ultimately I think he's our SS next year, despite a couple of mishap plays.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

FU#K!

Dr. Johnny Benjamin, chief of orthopedic surgery at Indian River Medical Center in Vero Beach, Fla., and a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, said the Jets likely wouldn't have placed Vilma on season-ending IR if he were to simply have an arthroscopic procedure to clean out fragments called "bone mice."

"It makes me believe it's a full thickness injury," Benjamin said of the move, adding that the simple cleaning would normally sideline a player for only a few weeks. That would require either micro fracture surgery or the insertion of a bio-absorbable screw into the knee to hold the ligament to the bone.

Benjamin pointed to Amare Stoudemire of the Phoenix Suns, who had micro fracture surgery. "The first year back he was so-so," he said, "and the second year back he was a beast again."

THIS COULD KILL HIS TRADE VALUE....Hope for it being not true

Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow that really sucks. Unless they're just being ultra conservative about the injury, it seems that it may be the case. His trade value going down would not be good at all, I don't know what we'd do if we couldn't get more than a second or third for him. We'll see what happens...And as bad news as it is that was a good find.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I am not so sure about that report. Why is a florida surgeon commenting on a ny player? I really have no idea, but is he part of the U's medical staff or something? After the article i just read, it seems the reason they put him on season ending IR is more along the lines of the decisions vilma had to go through in order to get surgery or not, however I beleive if we were playoff bound he would have made the decision sooner. Another reason was he could have wanted to have his own doctor perform it and not the team doctor; I have no idea it's all just speculation on my part. Well anyways, here is the part of the article i read;

"HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- LB Jonathan Vilma, who was placed on injured reserve last week with a knee injury, will have surgery today in Florida, coach Eric Mangini said yesterday.

As first reported in The Star-Ledger, Vilma has bone chips or fragments in his right knee and they'll be removed. It likely will be an arthroscopic procedure to clean out the knee. Such a surgery usually sidelines a player four to six weeks, and Vilma conceivably could have had the surgery immediately after the Bengals game on Oct. 21 and returned late in the season. "

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

The speculation is that the reason for placing him on IR is bc the injury is not just bone chips which Dewayne Robertson has been playing with his entire career which just needs a scope...The reason that Dr. from florida was interviewed was bc of his statue in the orthoscppic community esp in Fl where hes having the surgury, with DAAAAA U's "family doctor". His agents comments have been that his injuries are not career threatening which make me believe that it's a bit more serious than a scope

Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point I think it's pure speculation, both sides seem reasonable. At this point who knows? I'd like to think we were just taking extreme precautions, which is why Vilma felt he should still be allowed to play, but the possibility that the injury is more serious than thought is very likely as well. It would certainly explain why we shelved him for the year.

What do we think this does to his trade value? I think most of us thought we could get something in the first, early second range for him. Does this mean that we now would get a late-second, early third rounder for him? Possibly a fourth? Lets say the best case scenario is that we get a fourth in return for him, do we trade him or keep him on the team?

Also, between LC's previous comments about possibly retiring, the fact that Chad (a very close friend of his) leaving the team is likely, and his recent concussion, what is the likelihood that he's back with us next year? He's a fantastic player and a real team leader for us IMO, and I (and I'm sure you all would agree) would love to have him back next season. However, he does have to do what's best for him. Do you guys think he'll be back with us next year, or is he gone?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
he's played surprisingly well. hes not as powerful as Roy Williams but hes not an exclusive in the box player either. He can hit hard (play the run) as well as play coverage and ultimately I think he's our SS next year, despite a couple of mishap plays.
Seeing him play, how would you rate him as an NFL SS?
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 AM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
Seeing him play, how would you rate him as an NFL SS?
I think he's very solid, I think he's outperformed Erik Coleman and many other SS's around the NFL. Do I think he's amazing? No. Do I think he can be a solid starter for the Jets, at the very least to that it's not a position we need to worry about for NEXT year? Absolutely. I think one or two bonehead plays he's made that gave up big yardage, is overshadowing his very above average play at this point. I'm very satisfied with him.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 AM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is a really really ridiculous idea and is likely never to even be considered, but what about moving Vilma to SS next year? I mean the injury has brought his trade value down, and to be honest, I'd prefer him on the field than not...no matter what that takes.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

He's not fast enough...yes he ran a 4.59 at his combine and Roy williams ran a 4.55 but he would be even more of a liability in coverage especally coming off of a knee injury which would limit his top end speed. Vilma depends on his closing speed for a tackle not his play on the ball...He would be an in the box safety like Williams and on passes would have to use his closing speed to try and catch guys who beat him...It's sad but he's gone.

List of current Jets who are probably not going to be on the team next year:
-Vilma
-Pennington
-Clarke
-Clement
-E. Coleman

List of Jets who could easily be added to that list
-Hobson
-Barton
-Barnes
-McCareins
-Ellis

Let me know any additions or subtractions to the list..

Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
juice1432

It's not even about his 40 speed.... Roy Williams is much more fluid in coverage than Vilma, as he has more agility. It would be asking a middle linebacker to match up on the slot receiver every game, and that is a huge mismatch so it would be almost impossible for Vilma to succeed at SS. Even if he did try the move, it would take a couple years to learn the deep coverages and when to come up for run support. MLB has much different reads for run and pass than a SS. I don't think the move could work out, even though I don't want to lose Vilma. Vilma is still a very good young MLB, so depending on how the surgery goes, we should probably be able to get a good value pick in the 1st or early 2nd for him.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
He's not fast enough...yes he ran a 4.59 at his combine and Roy williams ran a 4.55 but he would be even more of a liability in coverage especally coming off of a knee injury which would limit his top end speed. Vilma depends on his closing speed for a tackle not his play on the ball...He would be an in the box safety like Williams and on passes would have to use his closing speed to try and catch guys who beat him...It's sad but he's gone.

List of current Jets who are probably not going to be on the team next year:
-Vilma
-Pennington
-Clarke
-Clement
-E. Coleman

List of Jets who could easily be added to that list
-Hobson
-Barton
-Barnes
-McCareins
-Ellis

Let me know any additions or subtractions to the list..
I think Barton will be a Jet next year. He has adapted really well to the 3-4. Last year he sucked, but this year he is second on the team in tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke remained a Jet, but as a backup of course. And Barnes may stay, because its not his fault the play calling doesn't fit his style. I think the play calling will change to adapt to Jones ability and therefore Barnes will have a bigger role.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I've got a good feeling about this weekend. The Jets should be able to handle the bye week pretty well.....
Old 11-11-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I've got a good feeling about this weekend. The Jets should be able to handle the bye week pretty well.....
I LOLed

But then again I dunno, the bye week might pull it out in the fourth quarter...
Old 11-11-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I legit laughed outloud the first time i read that..but then i was thinking, wouldnt it suck if one of the players fell down the stairs carrying in groceries ala clint barmes or hurt his arm playing guitar hero etc. I could see the headlines "even in bye week jets manage to pull out a loss."

that having been said, I have been tellin all my friends that when the jets play the pats and if they are undefeated it will be my own personal superbowl.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Sweet... it's been 6 weeks since the Jets didn't lose on a Sunday. We're making progress fella's.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

HAHAH We spoke to soon. Apparantly the jets did lose something without even playing.

"It's a big drop for a team that didn't play, but the Jets defense slipped from 29th last week to 32nd and last in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game. This happened because the three teams below the Green & White had decent games vs. the run. No. 30 Oakland held Chicago to 78 rushing yards, No. 31 Miami bottled up Buffalo for 63 yards and former No. 32 Denver kept Kansas City to 67 yards.

Unless Seattle erupts for 379 rushing yards vs. San Francisco tonight, the Jets will be 32nd Tuesday morning as well, which will mark the first time since 2003, when they were last for six weeks, that they were last in the league in run defense. But the '03 team got stouter to finish 28th, and of course last year's defense went from 30th after nine weeks to 24th by season's end."

Old 11-12-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ugh, figures....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

i can't tell you how much it bothers me that the pats could possibly win the superbowl and end up getting a better pick than us? it couldn't work out anymore in there favor. I seriously doubt they draft mcfadden and if they trade down they could easily revamp their linebacking corp in one draft. haha i think ive been getting more angry at san fran losses as oppose to pats wins.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did anyone hear the Belichick interview on the FAN today? Joe Beningo asked to please spare the Jets and not put up 80 points on them. The repsonse he got was complete silence from Bill. He asked him again later on and got the same response.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Did anyone hear the Belichick interview on the FAN today? Joe Beningo asked to please spare the Jets and not put up 80 points on them. The repsonse he got was complete silence from Bill. He asked him again later on and got the same response.
That game...im taping that game.

Thats gonna be legendary. The Pats are gonna win 77-0, then at the end of the game, Bellichick is gonna suckerpunch Mangini when they go to shake hands.

If Im Mangini, I try to injure Brady.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I am referring to this game as my own little superbowl. I cannot wait to see what the point spread is going to be.

I would love mangini and bellichick to get in a knock down drag out fight. That is the only way i can legit seeing those two act less cold to each other. Its like having a brother; every so often you two have to fight and just kick the crap outta each other, but at the end both you realize 'hey we're brothers' and then its all good. Usually.