Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Needless to say, it didnt surprise me that Pennington came in and had a chance to beat the unbeatable Patriots. He showed what we want a QB that can deliever when we need him to. one who can orchestrate drives and help to make plays with accuracy and good decision making. But, Penningtons age and arm strength ultimately limit what we can do and our future potential I just think we all really want pennington as our QB jsut with Clemens arm.

Had Pennington started this game one would wonder if that ball isnt thrown sooner from the endzone (as Clemens biggest critics are those who say he holds onto the ball too long) or if he takes the safety knowing forcing something would be pick 6 city. i think Pennington was given a bad rap for the teams lack of success but clemens came in and made similar mistakes but he has not been more effective than Pennington had been as the games went on. Why is it that Pennington dink and dunks for first downs arent as good as long inaccurate for 3 and out that we have seen a lot from clemens (maybe the jets are trying things bc of a lsot season and im being too harsh on clemens but the questions have to be asked). I just believe today proved Pennington is the better QB fro the Jets with what they have. With the same weapons that clemens played poorly with, Pennington played well against the best in the league. That said, I do not think there will be any controversy next season bcthe Jets will trade him(if he is back there will be but i dont think thats gonna happen) i have mixed feelings bc on the one hand he is at this point and IMO will next year be a better QB than Clemens, even after one more year of development. BUT hes aging and we need to look forward from an organizational standpoint. I think todays audition makes his stock soar for a trade (and no we cannot keep him as a backup bc of the escalators in his contract that make his money soar to 4.5 mil. And no he wont take another paycut). Pennington looks like he PLACED the ball in chris bakers hands twice on out routes showing the much talked about great accuracy anticipation when baker wasnt even looking both for first downs. I believe the culprit of todays loss and our seasons woes is Schottenheimer's play calling. THE OPTION!!! YESSS I LOVED IT ....the first time. Not the 6 subsequent times they ran it. He is the reason we have the situation we have and while I like clemens (i know that isnt evident but i like his play in the 2 minute drill, quick release and good arm) I think the woes pennington had before he was benched were bc of the system being awful to begin with and that playing clemens was a mistake to begin with bc of the awful OL injured WRs and flawed Off. system. I think in a lost season the Jets jumped to see the future as opposed to further evaluating the other offensive positions with Pennington as the constant thus proetecting their investing in Clemens. Clemens was put into an unfavorable sistuation but did not fair half as well as we have expected him or should allow him to even with our offensive woes (he had one good GAME= 4 QUARTERS against the now 1-15 dolphins)

I know Clemens has shown flashes of good things to come but we all know hes shown more innaccuracy and inconsistency than flashes (I hope that flash is enough and maybe it will be but we are going to lose a proven QB next season). Maybe with better weapons and blocking hell be better, but if those improve for Clemens theyd improve for Pennington and I think being a better QB we'd be in a better position to win(but like i said pennington will be 33 or 34 and clemens will still have an unknown ceiling at 25 making him our choice). Hopefully, although Im down on him now bc I really hate not knowing what we're getting or will get out of the QB position, Clemens will benefit so much from those weapons he'll look like a contender. I said in posts a while back w/ the team as a whole (esp the OL RT and LG) playing clemens may just hinder his development. WELL now he injured his ribs and his shoulder and could be done for the short rest of the season as a precautionary measure. Does that constitute enough of a hinderance? Also with Schottenheimers supposed head coaching offers (on the good side) and awful play calling (the bad side) he seems in one way or another destined to leave NY next season so will Clemens really have benefitted from executing one system and having to learn a new one as a young QB going through the inevitable growing pains of a first FULL season as a starter? I know there are mistakes made by rookie QBs but his look more like incompetance at times. Things you would hope you never see with clemens future role and supposed potential like holding on to the ball too long, running instead of stepping up in the pocket, having a TD to INT ratio of 1:2. I just want some consistency. Numbers can be skewed to fit an arguement but in his case they arent he has not been the inexpereinced brett favre of the jets or even pennington esque like people were hoping him to be. His QB Rating and Completion percentage are awful and they are indicative of poor play adn bad decision making. I just hope he can produce better numbers and more importantly better play with a better OL (Most important) NO JUSTIN MCCAREINS...(ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION) and perhaps a big weapon reciever.

Its a lot of ifs, but I think

Today proved a few things...
1)Chad Pennington is a good starter and will garner a day 1 draft selection (1-3 none of that new 1st and 2nd rds on day 1 only: day 1 means 1st 3 rounds).
2)The Jets are NOT as bad as their record indicates (unlike the Falcons)
3)Schottenheimer's playcalling is analagous to jekyll and hyde (and should be stopped)
4)Kellen Clemens is our future, but we're heading into the unknown in many ways and its scary.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 12-16-2007 at 09:49 PM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen a lot of jets games this year, but they all came when Pennington was the QB. I havent been able to watch them since Clemens took over. How has kellen looked? Do you think he is the QB of the future?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Could be a thread but there is too much season left...
Decent little game to play while we wait for the game each week.

Thoughts on FA (These are the ones I thought the Jets would look at)
1)Do you want to sign them?
2)Great/Okay/Bad chance of signing them?
3)Any News on them?

Offense
Alan Faneca- LG
Max Starks- RT
Jordan Gross-RT
Randy Moss-WR
Bernard Berrian-WR
Patrick Crayton-WR
Drew Carter-WR
Justin Gage-WR
Malcolm Flloyd-WR

Defense
Albert Haynesworth-DT
Tommy Kelly-DT
Randy Starks-DT
Lance Briggs-LB
Terrell Suggs-LB
Karlos Dansby-LB
Asante Samuel -CB
Marcus Truafant -CB
Randal Homosexual (bc I can't write ***...NO hate its his name)- CB

IT SEEMS TO ME THERE ARE A LOT OF YOUNG TALENTED FREE AGENTS
THAT SUIT THE JETS NEEDS AND COULD HEP THEIR PERFORMANCE COME DRAFT DAY. THOUGHTS?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
IT SEEMS TO ME THERE ARE A LOT OF YOUNG TALENTED FREE AGENTS
THAT SUIT THE JETS NEEDS AND COULD HEP THEIR PERFORMANCE COME DRAFT DAY. THOUGHTS?
First of all, stop yelling at me.

Second of all, does anyone have our cap numbers handy?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
First of all, stop yelling at me.

Second of all, does anyone have our cap numbers handy?
roughly 20 million under.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

HOLY SH*T!! HUGE NEWS

Chad Pennington & Laveranues Coles to be Traded to Kansas City?

JetNation.com has learned that the Jets have had conversations with the Kansas City Chiefs about a blockbuster trade. The Jets would send both Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs 1st round pick. The Jets would also receive a 4th rounder and a possible 2nd day pick in the 2009 draft. The 2009 pick would be tied in some way to performance. We are told that a deal is essentially in place and it will be announced in the off-season.

Max notes that this is the same story that broke the information on Andre Wadsworth … so take that for what it’s worth …

Ok, first off i want to say how much i absolutely love coles and think he is a player that everyone should be modeled after. That having been said, pennington is as good as gone after this season and like HCBRAD pointed out, tonight showed that he is most definately starting QB material who can bring u deep if you have the right surrounding cast. Coles on the other hand, is our best offensive weapon. Hell, he could be our only offensive weapon really. Coles isn't staying for much longer anyways, and I am always one for trading stars for good value before they decline. I think this trade works out well for both teams, but we would almot certainly have to look for a reciever in the first day to take his place. Becuase as of now, it would be cotchery, smith, wallace wright and good sweet lord Justin Mccareins. Oh and chris baker, which is helpful. So, I want to know everyones opinion and thoughts on this. I for one think this would be a good trade for us and we'd be getting a pick around #20 and an extra 4th rounder, which we always seem to pick well at that spot.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 12-16-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Sorry for the caps I wasn't yelling at you or any comments you made I closed the statement with CAPS because i hit it by accident and didnt want to retype it. that said i do think we should look at the FA list and see whats viable. Thats all

Old 12-16-2007, 11:50 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
HOLY SH*T!! HUGE NEWS

JetNation.com has learned that the Jets have had conversations with the Kansas City Chiefs about a blockbuster trade. The Jets would send both Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs 1st round pick. The Jets would also receive a 4th rounder and a possible 2nd day pick in the 2009 draft. The 2009 pick would be tied in some way to performance. We are told that a deal is essentially in place and it will be announced in the off-season.

Max notes that this is the same story that broke the information on Andre Wadsworth … so take that for what it’s worth …

Ok, first off i want to say how much i absolutely love coles and think he is a player that everyone should be modeled after. That having been said, pennington is as good as gone after this season and like HCBRAD pointed out, tonight showed that he is most definately starting QB material who can bring u deep if you have the right surrounding cast. Coles on the other hand, is our best offensive weapon. Hell, he could be our only offensive weapon really. Coles isn't staying for much longer anyways, and I am always one for trading stars for good value before they decline. I think this trade works out well for both teams, but we would almot certainly have to look for a reciever in the first day to take his place. Becuase as of now, it would be cotchery, smith, wallace wright and good sweet lord Justin Mccareins. Oh and chris baker, which is helpful. So, I want to know everyones opinion and thoughts on this. I for one think this would be a good trade for us and we'd be getting a pick around #20 and an extra 4th rounder, which we always seem to pick well at that spot.
we would pick around 6 as of now and have 2 top 10 picks
gholston and slight trade down for kelly? I like the value esp bc coles has been injured, but considering we would use the pick to draft a wr that helps.

ONLY PROBLEM IS MONEY guaranteed money that comes with top 10 1st round picks.

I would love this to happen but Ill believe it when I see it. No offense I believe your story that its a possibility but Im a Jets fan I expect to get dissapointed..you know the drill

Old 12-16-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
we would pick around 6 as of now and have 2 top 10 picks
gholston and slight trade down for kelly? I like the value esp bc coles has been injured, but considering we would use the pick to draft a wr that helps.

ONLY PROBLEM IS MONEY guaranteed money that comes with top 10 1st round picks.

I would love this to happen but Ill believe it when I see it. No offense I believe your story that its a possibility but Im a Jets fan I expect to get dissapointed..you know the drill
Yaa, i'm an idiot on that one hah. I knew it said kansas city and i looked at the skins. I even checked it over twice too. Anyways, i think a slight trade down is definately in the picture, especially because of the money. And you are right, i will believe this when i see, becuase as of now it seems a bit too good to be true.

Edit: I just realized how badly i want that trade to happen and now this is gonna be another one of those times where i fall in love with a certain pick or trade scenario and when it doesn't go through i just get depressed hah.

Last edited by BroadwayJoe10 : 12-17-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Sorry for the caps I wasn't yelling at you or any comments you made I closed the statement with CAPS because i hit it by accident and didnt want to retype it. that said i do think we should look at the FA list and see whats viable. Thats all
Heh, I was being completely sarcastic, guess I was to subtle.

I really don't know what to say about this trade. I would be really surprised if it happened though.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think from our team's standpoint that would be a pretty good trade. Coles is on the way out soon IMO and Pennington is probably not going to be starting for us much longer. Obviously personally I don't like this trade very much because LC is a real leader for this team, amazing ballplayer, our best offensive player, and a truly good person. Pennington I really like a lot as well, but LC has always been one of my favorite Jets. Also it kind of sticks us into total rebuilding mode and we lose a couple of our best offensive players, especially off the line. That said I think this is a really good deal for the future of this football team if it does happen, it'd just be disappointing because it does show we're rebuilding and I would miss having LC on the team though I'd certainly hope both of them have great success in KC. Not sure I see it happening, but those are my thoughts if it does.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

CannedToast hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A QB who obviously would be dealt and a WR who is about to turn 30 in a couple weeks, and has already started grumbling about retirement, and coming off an injury filled season, for a top 10 pick?

I don't know if I believe it...
CannedToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedToast View Post
A QB who obviously would be dealt and a WR who is about to turn 30 in a couple weeks, and has already started grumbling about retirement, and coming off an injury filled season, for a top 10 pick?

I'm with you there.

Only thing that makes me think there's any chance that this is true is we have Herm Edwards on the other side of the deal. From the Chiefs standpoint I guess it makes some sense because Herm obviously wants to win now or else he's going to get fired. They have a defense that is playing well right now and LC and Penny would give them a solid offense as well. LJ is very good at RB, and would set up Penny's playaction which is a big strength. LC and Bowe are two very good receivers on the outside and could open things up for Tony Gonzalez in the middle. If they feel they can address the OL in FA or with their second and third round picks, it could make sense. That said, the OL is the big weakness on this team and the deal kind of seems like a desperate attempt to compete again and they'd be left with their problem anyway, a weak offensive line.

Only time will tell I guess. A big concern for me is what we're going to do with the wide receiver position especially with a young QB. Obviously there's going to be some big names out there in trades (Roy Williams, one of the Bengals' starters?) but FA doesn't offer much and all of those guys have some question marks from character or something else. Another thing we have in our favor is Chad's solid performance against the Pats, could certainly drive up his value a tad.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedToast View Post

The only thing I can personally think of is maybe do to the very thing FA class at WR coles could be considered a very late first and early 2nd? I mean Welker, who is a few years younger, went for a 2nd and a 7th, so I guess it is possible to rationalize getting roughly a first for coles. And pennington, due to the other thing FA class for QB's could garner a high 3rd; remember, miami gave a 5th for Trent Green who was 37 and injury prone, which could have escalated to a 4th if he reached certain incentives. That having been said, I can somewhat see the 1st and 4th, but I really don't see it happening. I wonder how long ago they were in talks, becuase it could have been when kansas city was more in the middle of the 1st round. Additionally, I don't think it will be money and worrying to sign draft picks, because they are considerably under the cap; roughly 20 mill or so. So, while i am a huge fan of this trade, I just don't see it happening.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
The only thing I can personally think of is maybe do to the very thing FA class at WR coles could be considered a very late first and early 2nd? I mean Welker, who is a few years younger, went for a 2nd and a 7th, so I guess it is possible to rationalize getting roughly a first for coles. And pennington, due to the other thing FA class for QB's could garner a high 3rd; remember, miami gave a 5th for Trent Green who was 37 and injury prone, which could have escalated to a 4th if he reached certain incentives. That having been said, I can somewhat see the 1st and 4th, but I really don't see it happening. I wonder how long ago they were in talks, becuase it could have been when kansas city was more in the middle of the 1st round. Additionally, I don't think it will be money and worrying to sign draft picks, because they are considerably under the cap; roughly 20 mill or so. So, while i am a huge fan of this trade, I just don't see it happening.
Like I said in my post above, only reason I see this deal happening is for Herm to take a last ditch effort at saving his job and trying to build the offense. The thing is, a late first/early second and a third in value only get you another mid-late first, not a couple top 10 picks and change. Only things I see possibly driving this deal are our leverage and their desperation, but I just don't see it happening like everyone else. It'd be amazing though.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Like I said in my post above, only reason I see this deal happening is for Herm to take a last ditch effort at saving his job and trying to build the offense. The thing is, a late first/early second and a third in value only get you another mid-late first, not a couple top 10 picks and change. Only things I see possibly driving this deal are our leverage and their desperation, but I just don't see it happening like everyone else. It'd be amazing though.
Yaa, I'm just gonna go ahead and chalk it up to not happening so I don't go getting upset when it doesn't. Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and get my hopes up about drafting vernon gholston and the beastly numbers he will put up at the combine and how he'll bury brady when we play him twice a year. <-- That's the type of wishful thinking that lets me go to sleep at night

Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Here's my question: if somehow we do manage to pull off this trade where do we go with the two first rounders assuming we don't deal down? You have to figure one of them is going to be a defensive guy, but are we going to take two defensive guys or are we going to go offense-defense? And if we do grab an offensive guy, are we looking at a right tackle like Jake Long? Doesn't make sense to grab a top 10 pick for any position on offense really, unless we decide we need a QB but in that case why trade Pennington? And if we go defense-defense, are we talking front 7 secondary? Presumably we're taking a linebacker with one of the picks, both maybe? That's assuming Chris Long isn't a DL. Is Thomas locked into a starting spot or could we go Long, Gholston and grab two pass rushing OLB's? Could one of those guys flip inside? Maybe a Gholston Laurinaitis giving us a LB corps of Gholston-Harris-Laurinaitis-Thomas? Maybe LB/secondary where we'd grab Gholston/Long and then Jenkins/Phillips?

I mean obviously the top 10 pick is nice but there must be something we're looking to do if we want it because there's no guarantee of a trade down, so what would we be looking to do if we're trying to grab another high pick?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Personally, I'll start to speculate if it actually happens.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. I'm sure others are going to post their thoughts though. Would be interesting to hear....
Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Personally, I'll start to speculate if it actually happens.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. I'm sure others are going to post their thoughts though. Would be interesting to hear....
My question wasn't really what would we do if it happened, but why would we want the top 10 pick anyway? If there was any contact I'd imagine it was us to them, because I have a hard time imagining they came to us with that trade. Who knows, but I doubt it. So if we proposed that deal to them, or somebody with the Jets in mind floated it, my question is why? What would we actually do with those picks anyway?

In all honesty trading your #1 receiver and the most reliable threat on your team offensively along with your best veteran QB doesn't make much sense when you're trying to groom a young guy anyways, unless we're going QB top 10 (in which case, why not keep Penny to groom him?) or we have a deal in place for a very good wideout (Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh), you're looking to add offensive weapons and linemen (Jake Long?), or you're committed to long-term rebuilding while risking the development of your supposed franchise QB, I'm not thinking this makes all that much sense for us either. The top 10 pick is nice, but I think this could seriously hurt Clemens' development unless we're sure we can bring some reliable wideouts and a good veteran presence into place this offseason.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
HOLY SH*T!! HUGE NEWS

Max notes that this is the same story that broke the information on Andre Wadsworth Ö so take that for what itís worth Ö
I don't buy this. This sounds like all of the rumors I read in my youth in Newsday of players coming to the Knicks who alwyas signed with other teams. Except for Derek Harper. That one was true.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would happily take that trade. Penny is as good as done as the starter, and Coles has talked about retirement many times. Why not get value while you can? I would hate to lose Coles, as he is our best playmaker/WR, but if he goes through with the retirement talks in even 2 years, we are in trouble anyways. If i could say with certainty that Coles will not retire soon, then i'd think twice.

as for the 2 top 10 picks, we could surely trade one down if cap was an issue

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
i would happily take that trade. Penny is as good as done as the starter, and Coles has talked about retirement many times. Why not get value while you can? I would hate to lose Coles, as he is our best playmaker/WR, but if he goes through with the retirement talks in even 2 years, we are in trouble anyways. If i could say with certainty that Coles will not retire soon, then i'd think twice.

as for the 2 top 10 picks, we could surely trade one down if cap was an issue
The cap wouldn't be an issue, which is nice. We are currently roughly under the cap 20 mill and with the potential trade of Chad and Coles we would be an additional 7 mill under, that is including the cap hit we would take for trading them. The following year, we would save more around the range of 13 mill, so we definately would have the cap space.

A topic that was brought up earlier this week was the idea of trading vilma for shaun rogers. But, from was what i was reading it seems possible that he may be released. Now, i wouldnt rule out a possible trade, maybe vilma for shaun rogers and one of their draft picks so as we dont have to outbid anyone else who may want to take a risk with rogers. He is fat and lazy at times, but other times he is simply dominant. It all depends on if mangini thinks he can get him in shape and play and if Shaun actually wants to get in shape and play.

I feel that even though he may be a bit taller than ideal, when he plays he is very stout against the run, is massive so is sheer size alone will squeeze the gaps and can more than definately take a double team. The same thing could be said for Fat al, but I feel that we have a better shot at landing Rogers, and moreso on the cheap side. I think most people are in agreement that with the addition of a solid, maybe not spectacular, but solid NT and say Vernon Gholston as an OLB our defense would change fairly drastically.

Here was the source; "Mike O'Hara of the Detroit News says the Lions may part ways with two-time Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers and DE Kalimba Edwards after this season.

The out-of-shape Rogers had only one unassisted tackle in Week 14 and has zero sacks in his last five games, while Edwards was a healthy a scratch against the Cowboys. Both have time on their contracts, but might need a strong close to avoid being salary cap casualties. The Lions face LT and the Chargers in Week 15."

Old 12-19-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Wow Rodgers getting cut would be huge news. As you said if we think we can get him to play...that's a great sign right there. And he's unhappy in Detroit right? So who knows, maybe he'd give a better effort here. I would love to see our defense with a nice pass rusher on the outside and a big dude in the middle...Rodgers is unbelievably talented and as you said could come relatively cheap, if he's a FA I think he tops my wish list.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Statlines

Comparing Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens this season:
-PENNINGTON---------CATEGORY--------------CLEMENS-
----1-6---------------Won-loss-*----------------2-5
-----9-----------------TD passes------------------4
-----7----------------Interceptions----------------10
----153----------------Completions----------------117
----228----------------Attempts-------------------225
----67.1------------Percent completed-------------52.0
---1,503-----------------Yards--------------------1,414
-----20------------------Sacked--------------------24
----85.8-----------------Rating---------------------59.0

*Jets record in games this QB has started (win/loss can not and should not be an individual statistic in football, it should be noted but a STAT NOOOOO)

whoever said it couldnt get much worse...It got MUCH worse..Clemens needs to ride the bench the rest of the season (we saw plenty of what he can do with a sh!tty OLine, lets develop the team and hope his numbers improve in normal game situations when the talent level around him gets better) [then again you could also say what if you did that for Pennington, but we have a youth movement going and I think we are going to deal Chad and not release him bc Mangini has constatnly talked about Chad's "value" in press conferences....why would he release him instead of getting something for him, and these last few games will be auditions] we should put an OL in front of him and trade pennington for a pick that will help his development and let him fight for his job as QB in camp.

Also I do not want to sign an expensive vet back up like SEXY REXY...Id prefer keeping tuiasosopo and giving B Smith more reps as the emergency QB passing the ball so we can save roster spots and still have him as our option if catastrophe strikes, but with a better OL im sure we wont sustain 45+sacks next season which undoubtedly has adversly affected both QBs and prob Clemens more bc he is still getting used to the speed of the pro game

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 12-19-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Notes&quotes from the paper: Laveranues Coles (ankle) said he wants to play Sunday despite being able to play only one down against the Patriots. "Any time that you have an opportunity to go out and play," he said, "you want to because you never know when it will come to an end." He'll especially want to be on the field for what could be one of his final chances to play with close friend Pennington ... Former Jet Kevin Mawae, one of the first players cut by the Mangini-Tannenbaum regime in 2006, said he's heard secondhand that some Jets veterans are unhappy playing for Mangini ... S Kerry Rhodes said he thought he had a chance to make the Pro Bowl this year. "Not as much as last year," Rhodes said, "but it was definitely there." Rhodes had a slow start this season but so far has more interceptions (5) than last year when many believed he was snubbed from the all-star game ... Though it won't be officially announced until as late as Monday, next Sunday's game against the Chiefs will be played at 4 p.m. instead of the scheduled 8:15 p.m. ... The Jets signed offensive linemen Clint Oldenberg and Robert Turner from the practice squad to the active roster.