Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-20-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Notes&quotes from the paper: Laveranues Coles (ankle) said he wants to play Sunday despite being able to play only one down against the Patriots. "Any time that you have an opportunity to go out and play," he said, "you want to because you never know when it will come to an end." He'll especially want to be on the field for what could be one of his final chances to play with close friend Pennington ... Former Jet Kevin Mawae, one of the first players cut by the Mangini-Tannenbaum regime in 2006, said he's heard secondhand that some Jets veterans are unhappy playing for Mangini ... S Kerry Rhodes said he thought he had a chance to make the Pro Bowl this year. "Not as much as last year," Rhodes said, "but it was definitely there." Rhodes had a slow start this season but so far has more interceptions (5) than last year when many believed he was snubbed from the all-star game ... Though it won't be officially announced until as late as Monday, next Sunday's game against the Chiefs will be played at 4 p.m. instead of the scheduled 8:15 p.m. ... The Jets signed offensive linemen Clint Oldenberg and Robert Turner from the practice squad to the active roster.

I wouldn't doubt that some of the vets are unhappy playing for mangini, most of them at their age don't want to go through the rigorous offseason workouts as well as the tough conditions he places them in. But, the one thing that I have heard about mangini, from players the one in mind is curtis martin, is that he is more prepared for every game then any other coach that they have played for. I would rather a coach be so involved in preparation and giving the team a chance to win than being a pushover like herm. Basically it probably would be Ellis, Drob and possibly some of the lineman that Mawae still talks to. I can guarantee that the younger players are not bugged by it nor do i suspect chad to be a player to complain about hard work. Personally, i think the players who are arguing will be gone this year; most likely these will be the holdovers from the herm regime, considering everyone loved playing for him because he just let them dick around half the time.

I am trying to guess if Chad plays very well this weekend whether he will be sat for the final week so as not to ruin his trade value or if they'll let him play again. I am eager to see the game no matter what.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like we've just put LC on IR. Big blow for a team trying to build some momentum heading into next season.

Also the Parcells to Miami move could help or hurt us in a few ways. I don't think he's going to look McFadden. If they decide to clean out the coaches Ryan could get a look which I think would be a mistake but I wouldn't complain at all. Dorsey I don't think is a fit. Long is the pick if they think he can fit IMO, but if they pass on him I don't know how comfortable I am with taking him since we both run the 3-4. The thing I'm worried about is that Gholston becomes the pick there. IMO best case scenario the Parcells-Cowboys and Jerry Jones-Arkansas connections come together. Parcells likes to move down if he doesn't have his guy (traded down with Orlando Pace on the board when trying to rebuild our team) and Jones loves to make a big splash. Parcells still has some of his guys in Dallas that aren't getting play time (Bobby Carpenter comes to mind) and the Boys have two first rounders to play with. Plus the depth of this draft combined with low value at the top could make trading down pretty far a legit option. I'd love to see a deal between the Boys and Phins involving the two firsts, Carpenter, and perhaps some future picks in a move to get DMC. If we stay top 3 it guarantees us Long or Gholston (perhaps a choice), and otherwise we have some interesting decisions to make but there's still some good guys on the board. Plus it's tough to pass on McFadden but could be in the best interest of the team. We'll see what happens but it's an interesting possibility that I know has been brought up a few times, but Parcells being at Miami just increases the chances of it happening IMO.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I agree that the parcells moving to Miami could help or hurt us. He has always been helpful towards tannenbaum and mangini, but i'm not sure if he still will or maybe even moreso, who knows. I still think if dallas were to trade up they would look to do it with us rather than miami who has the #1. The jump from our spot to theirs is considerable and would probably make more sense, but you never know what with Parcells' connection with jerry jones. We'll see, as long as we get gholston haha (or c.long if he tests outta the roof). Having though about it more i am extremely interested to see if mangini brings in Stacy Andrews and Randal Gaay as soon as the season is over. Those were the two RFA he brought in last year; if he does bring them in I will be extremely impressed. It shows he did all of his grunt work last year, seeing their personality, whether they wanted to join the jets and the direction they were going in etc.; so this year all he had to do was watch their performance, so that he could invite them in the first time he could and offer him a contract and beat out the bidding wars.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 12-23-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would definitely be very impressed if we got Andrews and ***, though either would be great. The more I've been thinking about it, I think Andrews should be the free agent we really go after. He's massive and would definitely help the run game a ton but his big upside is that he has the ability to play inside at guard or outside at right tackle. That would be huge for us because it gives us the flexibility in the draft to go guard or tackle depending on who is the best player on the board, instead of signing a guy that could play only one position and being locked into going with a guard or tackle. The flexibility he would offer is invaluable and I'd love to see us go after him. Then on draft day you're talking about needing OLB, DE, WR and G or RT as the big needs. Offers a little more flexibility as far as going with a BPA type strategy and it could really work to our advantage (especially if we keep LC around, because we could really wait for a wideout).
Old 12-23-2007, 11:07 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I would definitely be very impressed if we got Andrews and ***, though either would be great. The more I've been thinking about it, I think Andrews should be the free agent we really go after. He's massive and would definitely help the run game a ton but his big upside is that he has the ability to play inside at guard or outside at right tackle. That would be huge for us because it gives us the flexibility in the draft to go guard or tackle depending on who is the best player on the board, instead of signing a guy that could play only one position and being locked into going with a guard or tackle. The flexibility he would offer is invaluable and I'd love to see us go after him. Then on draft day you're talking about needing OLB, DE, WR and G or RT as the big needs. Offers a little more flexibility as far as going with a BPA type strategy and it could really work to our advantage (especially if we keep LC around, because we could really wait for a wideout).

That's the same thing that i was thinking, he gives us flexibility in the draft. The other positive that I loved about him was that he doesn't have that much wear and tear on him; he played only his senior year in college and didn't play much in his first year or so in the NFL, because he was basically playing behind allpro Willie Anderson. I didn't really pay much attention to them bringing him in last year, but i remember reading that they were probably doing early scouting for the following year. I hope that is the case and we go hard after him, he seems like a perfect fit.

Another guy that i have been reading about was Carl Nicks; very good passpro skills as well as the good size to be a good run blocker. He has played LT in college but seems RT is a better fit, but from what I am reading it seems as though he has the ability to play OG as well. I'll be watching him at the senior bowl, as well as a few other players.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Nicks looks like an intriguing fit as well, toonster had him going to us in his most recent mock. Same with those guards that you and boredofeducation mentioned in that thread. Regardless some flexibility in the draft would be fantastic there's some really good guys we could get that would help us out in the 3rd and 4th round range.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Anthony Clement just got pancaked by a 274 pound defensive end. If we don't address RT this offseason I will cry.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of the reasons I want the Jets to sign Alan Faneca: Because you know that pick they could use to draft a left guard? They could use that pick on a right tackle.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
One of the reasons I want the Jets to sign Alan Faneca: Because you know that pick they could use to draft a left guard? They could use that pick on a right tackle.
I'd rather take a swing guy so we can take the best guy that fills either one of those positions, but at least we're on the same wavelength generally.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Anthony Clement just got pancaked by a 274 pound defensive end. If we don't address RT this offseason I will cry.
The OL in general today has been really bad. Pennington has had zero time to throw the ball and Jones is getting stuffed at the line.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

What a disappointing game to watch.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
The OL in general today has been really bad. Pennington has had zero time to throw the ball and Jones is getting stuffed at the line.
Completely agreed. I think we've been playing around at the LG and RT spots a lot so we really have no consistency anywhere. Definitely needs to be addressed one way or another for us because we've been terrible. Not sure where we're going but it needs to be somewhere, Faneca or elsewhere we need some consistency and solid players on the offensive line.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

I can't believe the this Jets team might have a worse record then the 05-06 team. I mean, we were bad back then. When I look at this season, I see just a lot of missed opportunities and stupid mistakes. I'm not saying they are not a bad team, but they have had their chances in a lot of these games, even with the terrible OL play and teams being able to abuse our D at times.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can't even watch this anymore. A week ago at least I could look forward to watching Clemens' progress and be evaluated. Now I have to watch a 3-12 team with a quarterback that will be gone in 2 weeks lose games 13-6 while the potential qb of the future sits in the training room. It's unbearable...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why didn't Ben Graham play? Injury? Coaches not satisfied?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyways... We need a veteran LG to help D'Brick and Mangold and a doog (possibly a rookie) RT. Those two positions will help SO much. I think if we get rid of Chad and Vilma we could draft DE, NT, RT, ILB, & WR in the first day which would be sweet!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031 View Post
I can't even watch this anymore. A week ago at least I could look forward to watching Clemens' progress and be evaluated. Now I have to watch a 3-12 team with a quarterback that will be gone in 2 weeks lose games 13-6 while the potential qb of the future sits in the training room. It's unbearable...
Progress might be a strong word...... :P
Old 12-23-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Anyways... We need a veteran LG to help D'Brick and Mangold and a doog (possibly a rookie) RT. Those two positions will help SO much. I think if we get rid of Chad and Vilma we could draft DE, NT, RT, ILB, & WR in the first day which would be sweet!
What about OLB? And also, who do you think is worth a shot at NT in the first two rounds. And how would we get three more first day picks? And more picks are great but as much as we can make all of these ideal mocks BPA unfortunately comes into play a lot more than we'd all like to believe. We'll see what happens though, outside of the omission of OLB that's a nice list of positions to address. We could use a #2 corner as well but if we go FA there too...
Old 12-24-2007, 02:30 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Great news, my college roomate lived 3 houses down from McCareins on Long Island...He said he saw the moving truck a couple of days ago... I'm almost sure he's gone. THANK GOD

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:24 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Great news, my college roomate lived 3 houses down from McCareins on Long Island...He said he saw the moving truck a couple of days ago... I'm almost sure he's gone. THANK GOD
He's like a bad penny, there really is no getting rid of him and i won't believe it till i see it. Right now i'm just assuming his house is getting fumagated or something.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
tishdog
Rookie

tishdog hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Anybody else notice how Pouha had a great game yesterday. He had something like 8 tackles all solo and a batted down pass.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishdog View Post
Anybody else notice how Pouha had a great game yesterday. He had something like 8 tackles all solo and a batted down pass.
Yaa, I noticed that as well; and after the game i was trying to think to myself the last time a member of our defensive line lead the team in tackles. He did have a good game though and he's certainly progressed over the season, he can certainly be a decent backup who can spell out starter...once we get one that is.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The New York Daily News believes the Jets' offseason wish list could include DE Terrell Suggs, NT Albert Haynesworth, and WR Bernard Berrian.

The Jets will have $28 million in cap room, seven draft picks, and Chad Pennington and Jonathan Vilma to use as trade bait. The team has needed a 3-4 nose for two years now, and Haynesworth could fit the bill. Suggs would play almost exclusively outside linebacker in Eric Mangini's scheme. Of course, all these players could be franchise tagged by their current clubs.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
The New York Daily News believes the Jets' offseason wish list could include DE Terrell Suggs,
Good.

Quote:
NT Albert Haynesworth
Bad.

Quote:
and WR Bernard Berrian.
Worse.

Quote:
The Jets will have $28 million in cap room, seven draft picks, and Chad Pennington and Jonathan Vilma to use as trade bait. The team has needed a 3-4 nose for two years now, and Haynesworth could fit the bill.
Really bad.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Good.

Bad.

Worse.

Really bad.

Whats wrong with Haynesworth and Berrian?