Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-02-2008, 11:03 AM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Star Ledger saying in addition to Olivea Maurice Williams is on the Jets' radar..
I think I'd rather the basketball player to be our RT than the actual football player...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

wasn't he injury prone maurice williams?

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
Yea seriously...it's getting old and annoying already. Vilma was a very good 4-3 LB...he was not the best, maybe not even top 5, but yes he was very good. He was atrocious however in the 3-4 and CLEARLY, EVER SO CLEARLY NOT GOING TO RESIGN WITH US AFTER THIS YEAR. As a 3-4 LB coming off an injury once considered career threatening, his value shouldn't have been greater than a 5th or 6th rounder, the fact that his value was higher was based purely on the potential that he would REEMERGE and play the way he did TWO YEARS AGO. As lovely as that sounds, and as likely as it might be that that will happen, the risk is still there and that simply even more so diminishes his value, not to mention the fact that the Jets had absolutely no leverage with their trading partner consider we'd be SCREWED IF WE KEPT HIM. I'm sick of hearing all this crap about how he'd be amazing in a 3-4 if only he had a better NT...that's absolute bull. It's impossible to tell if a simple upgrade such as that would affect his play at all, and even more so, Vilma was simply a horrible 3-4 LB...it had nothing to do with the lack of talent around him, it had to due with his inability to shed blockers and lack of size...his skill set clearly was not fit for the 3-4 and regardless of the ability of the 3-4 he WOULD HAVE FAILED. Furthermore, the need for an ILB in the draft has been the same the last two years. We still would have needed one had Vilma not been traded...why is it now all of a sudden a big deal?
Sorry, but I don't agree. Yeah, Vilma has problems shedding blockers. But in the 3-4, occupying blockers is what the defensive line is for. The point of contention is that upgrading the NT would have affected his play. To me, 3-4 NT is the most important position position on the field in that scheme. He's the guy who essentially enables everyone else in the front seven to properly do their jobs and unlike Robertson, who could never handle the double team, I thought he would allow Vilma to be dominant again.

Now, maybe you're right and Vilma really can't succeed in the 3-4 no matter what, but you know what? I would have liked to have found that out for sure.

Quote:
My second point, stop complaining that we didn't get solid immediate value...first off, we did get immediate value, we got a 4th rounder (despite us possibly giving up a 4th rounder of our own I believe), but even more so, we got a 2nd/3rd rounder next year...this is exactly, if not better, value that we had projected all along...it just happens to be for next year, in fact I think we all might have been overestimated the value of Vilma so even more so it's good value.

Well, keep in mind that it was originally reported that we got a 2009 conditional 4th that would upgrade to s 2009 3rd based on playing time. A 2008 4th that can upgrade to a 2009 2nd is quite a bit better.

Quote:
It's inconceivable to me that you guys are pissed that we only got a pick next year...what, is the 2nd rounder we would be getting this year going to bring us to the Super Bowl THIS year? Am I missing something, or are we not in a rebuilding mode? Since when did a rebuilding mode require you to get immediate value/picks? Is it that some of you just don't know the meaning of the word "future" when talking about rebuilding for the future?
It probably wouldn't bring the Jets to the Superbowl, but going into this offseason, the Jets had 4 big needs, at least IMO.

DL - Addressed with Kris Jenskins
OLB - Not addressed yet.
LG - Addressed with Alan Faneca
RT - Not addressed yet.

If the Jets can address the other two positions as well as get a slot receiver who could eventually replace Coles, I don't see why the Jets couldn't make their way back to the playoffs. JMO.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
I could see what your saying, but i believe we should move him inside if he is able to be moved there...this is if we sign him
Well I hope we sign him and keep Hobson. Then we'd have 2 guys who can play inside or outside at a high level. I think LB is a position where you can never have too many good players (see patriots)
Old 03-02-2008, 02:33 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Barton and Hobson are both pretty solid....harris is very good and if we get Gholston he can be the ROLB.....wich leaves bryan thomas to come in on some pass rushing plays....if and only if we get some1 like gholston our LBs will be good
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What draft picks do we have? I know we gained a 4th and lost a 3rd and 5th, but what about rounds 6/7. Also do we have any picks from the Kendall thing? I want to make a Jets Mock.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Now, maybe you're right and Vilma really can't succeed in the 3-4 no matter what, but you know what? I would have liked to have found that out for sure.
Unfortunately, he's set to be a FA after this year, so if your little experiment didn't work out, we wouldn't have been compensated at all. All in all, I think the Jets unquestionably did the right thing, and even though I know so many Jets fans were in love with Vilma, I can't see how this didn't seem like the right way to go about things.

I really hope we don't sign a RT. Unless he comes for cheap of course, but still, don't really want to. Best thing we can hope for in the draft though (realistically) seems like a trade down.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Unfortunately, he's set to be a FA after this year, so if your little experiment didn't work out, we wouldn't have been compensated at all. All in all, I think the Jets unquestionably did the right thing, and even though I know so many Jets fans were in love with Vilma, I can't see how this didn't seem like the right way to go about things.

I really hope we don't sign a RT. Unless he comes for cheap of course, but still, don't really want to. Best thing we can hope for in the draft though (realistically) seems like a trade down.
Perfect post.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Perfect post.
I agree 100% about the Vilma part because even if he played well in the 3-4 he still would have left next year as a FA.

However I would like to see if they can bring in a veteran RT in addition to taking one in the middle rounds..
Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Gang Green
Pro Bowler

Gang Green hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's official now that Michael Turner is a Falcon. The Jets will have to decide between McFadden and Gholston, we can't go wrong.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang Green View Post
It's official now that Michael Turner is a Falcon. The Jets will have to decide between McFadden and Gholston, we can't go wrong.
I hope you're right, because I look at Miami, St. Louis and Oakland and wonder if they're going to draft Gholston. At least we know the worst case scenario of

Miami. Chris Long
St. Louis. Vernon Gholston
Atlanta. Glenn Dorsey/Darren McFadden
Oakland. Darren McFadden/Glenn Dorsey
Kansas City. Jake Long
New York Jets. Oh noes!!!!

can't happen
Old 03-02-2008, 10:25 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang Green View Post
I don't think there was ever a question that the Falcons wouldn't take McFadden, considering the character concerns. I think that if they stay in that spot, it will definitely be between who is available of Jake Long, Ryan, and Dorsey. But if you're insinuating that McFadden and/or Gholston are near locks to be there at our pick, I think that's far from the case. Our biggest threats for taking Gholston are the Rams and Raiders. As far as McFadden goes (though I'm not all too sure they would take him anyway if available), he could easily go to the Raiders as well. Or, the Cowboys or some other team could just as easily trade up to the Chiefs' or Raiders' spot to snag him. I will say there's a better chance of us getting McFadden opposed to Gholston, but all reality, I don't necessarily think that benefits us a whole lot for the future.

The things we really would have to pray for would be the Dolphins taking Ryan or trading out so someone can grab McFadden, and/or the Raiders taking McFadden or falling in love with Dorsey and/or Ellis. One thing going in our favor is that Gholston's Pro Day is early, so maybe he might not be as fresh in the mind, while if people such as Matt Ryan, Dorsey, and Sedrick Ellis impress later on, that could be enough to move them up.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274297

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D :D :D
Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 AM    (permalink
Gang Green
Pro Bowler

Gang Green hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Haha, what idiots. He isn't worth a pack of used footballs. Anyway, this is how it could play out.

Miami-Chris Long
St. Louis- Jake Long
Atlanta- Matt Ryan
Oakland-Glen Dorsey
KC- Gholston?
Jets- Mcfadden
Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 AM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

drob traded to the bengals for 4th and 5th round pick...it's about time..now the jenkins trade looks even more like a steal...so long, useless..thanks for the memories...another herm/bradway trainwreck gone.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Maybe a little soon since FA really isn't over at all yet, but as of now, who is your number one player on your board for the Jets pick at #6?

Also, are there any other moves you want the Jets to make this Free Agency?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
DeWayne Robertson is a pretty good 4-3 undertackle. Not pro bowl level, but pretty good. Anything other than that, he's not going to do. He is not suited to the nose tackle position, he is DEFINITELY not suited to the 3-4 and he has always had trouble with double teams. That being said, you have no idea how glad I am that he's gone. The fact that the Jets got ANYTHING for him and his 13 million dollar cap number puts them ahead of the game IMO.
You won't find a more sugar coated description of this trade by a Jets fan anywhere.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Maybe a little soon since FA really isn't over at all yet, but as of now, who is your number one player on your board for the Jets pick at #6?

Also, are there any other moves you want the Jets to make this Free Agency?
First off, I've heard they're close to signing Damien Woody, I think I'd like that move in addition to drafting one.

I also heard we just signed Pace to a 6 year, 42 million deal with 22 million guaranteed. Kind of ticked we spent that much, but I think he can be a good player as an edge rusher. I think this, if proven to be true, leans us more towards McFadden as opposed to Gholston. I'd still like to take a speedster to rush on the corner, like Avril, but whatever. Ideally, I'd like to trade down from 6th and pick up Mendenhall/Stewart/a CB and then Avril/Groves ?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
jetsman309
Rookie

jetsman309 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We got Pace!! I didnt hear anything about drob until i saw the article above and its not found on any other site but i know that espn is usually truthful

PLAYERS TO LOOK FORWARD TO:
KELLEN CLEMENS QB #11
BRAD SMITH WR #16
DAVID HARRIS MLB #52
DARRELLE REVIS CB #24
jetsman309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
First off, I've heard they're close to signing Damien Woody, I think I'd like that move in addition to drafting one.

I also heard we just signed Pace to a 6 year, 42 million deal with 22 million guaranteed. Kind of ticked we spent that much, but I think he can be a good player as an edge rusher. I think this, if proven to be true, leans us more towards McFadden as opposed to Gholston. I'd still like to take a speedster to rush on the corner, like Avril, but whatever. Ideally, I'd like to trade down from 6th and pick up Mendenhall/Stewart/a CB and then Avril/Groves ?

This would be horrible IMO. Pace isn't worth half that much and quite frankly, I don't understand the demand for him. He's had one okay year. In his entire career. To me, the addition of Pace means the Jets pass rush will be improved so minutely that nobody will notice.

Edit: Oh no, ESPN is reporting that its true.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

That is a large contract. I have to be honest, I don't know much about the guy and have only seen his stats. What does he bring to the table?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Man. I pray to god either Gholston is there or we can trade down because we're spending out the ass. I was hoping Woody would be for depth or something, but if the supposed contract is as it is, then that's just horrible. I'll have to look at some stuff about Pace, but I'm fairly sure he'll bust. Maybe not though.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Not to complain because I think they have improved the team a great deal (albeit for a lot of $$) but I think their move now is to trade down from #6 to get a) quantity and b) better cap $'s.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Man. I pray to god either Gholston is there or we can trade down because we're spending out the ass. I was hoping Woody would be for depth or something, but if the supposed contract is as it is, then that's just horrible. I'll have to look at some stuff about Pace, but I'm fairly sure he'll bust. Maybe not though.
I think Woody is the short term answer @ RT, either this year or next they will draft/develop a RT and move him to RG to replace Moore...
Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Not to complain because I think they have improved the team a great deal (albeit for a lot of $$) but I think their move now is to trade down from #6 to get a) quantity and b) better cap $'s.
I will complain. I loved the Faneca signing and the Jenkins trade. But Calvin Pace and Damien Woody are minimal upgrades for maximum money and I think the Jets set themselves back quite a bit.

One step foward, two steps back.

The Jets do not have a premiere pass rusher and now, it looks like they're not going to.