Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-04-2008, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Chatman supposedly visited the Jets a few days ago.

I wonder what it'd take to get Eugene Wilson... apparently he's another player the Tangini regime has targeted
Bluedevil$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil$ View Post
Chatman supposedly visited the Jets a few days ago.

I wonder what it'd take to get Eugene Wilson... apparently he's another player the Tangini regime has targeted
Yeah that'd be nice to add those 2.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i really wouldnt wanna spend much money on chatman, to be honest i dont really want him but i wouldnt be opposed to the signing...with such a deep RB class, i would rather draft one sometime day 2, for short yardage situations and as insurance to TJ and Leon and also to possibly be our future once TJ gets too old to be productive
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

I agree with nyjets, I dont know if its worth it. Might as well get a cheap running back later in day 2. So boys, let me ask you, of the big three (or atleast my big three) who do you want: Chris Long, Gholston, McFadden? And please possibly give a reason why.

-I am goin with Long becuase he is the best fight. Non stop motor, a hell of an athlete, can play 3-4 end and OLB. What more can one ask for.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I really can't decide between Gholston or Long, although I don't think at this point Long will be available by our pick.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

i know that long is a great DE and showed at the combine he could be a great 34 OLB...and i konw that at UVA they played both 34 and 43...can long be a good 34 DE? i would expect he could be and i konw that before his combine most were projecting him to be a 34 DE and possibly even to the dolphins at #1 at taht position, but is he a great DE prospect for the 3-4?

but to answer your question, definitely not McFadden becuase i dont think RB is even close to as much of a need as DE/LB...i konw McFadden has rare talent and last year AD was great for the vikes, but i dont think we shoulld really go for him even though i wouldnt be opposed to the move, especially because of the depth at RB in this draft and our reported interest in chatman, and then also the questions concerning Run DMC...so my answer would be long or gholston, and i know long is probably more polished but now taht we have pace, i think we should go for the pure pass rusher in gholston if available and have a rotation of gholston pace and thomas, and when we use gholston and thomas together pace can move inside to ILB or rest, which would give us patriots type depth and flexibility

however, i think there is a very strong chance that none of them are left...i thought mcfadden very well could be but i posted that raiders thing before and i think that they will pick him if left, so i think that the dolphins and rams will pick the two long and gholston...unless the rams or dolphins decide to go with jake long, which is definitely possible, which could lead to gholston or chris long to drop to us
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

havent seen anybody talk about this so correct me if they have but.... I really think the fact that the jets gave 67 million dollars in guaranteed money to FA indicates a STRONG possibility of trading out of the 6th pick, logical suitor dallas. I think dallas aka jerry jones wants McFadden badly ala their desire perhaps to trade up to #1 overall. That said I think Jones has us by the balls and knows we would prefer to trade out of the 6th pick in order to reduce the amount of guaranteed moneyhitting us and our cap. Also for those who dont think mcfadden will fall to us tell me who will take him....

1)Dolphins: Ronnie Brown, a lot of needs and Bill Parcells who passed up Steven Jackson for Marion Barber...yea I think he knows there are good backs all over and great back rarely sit at the top w the exception of Peterson but then a counter is BLAIR THOMAS

2)St Louis: Stephen Jackson...if you say they could take him you should stop watching football.

3)Atlanta: Michael Turner HUGE DEAL and a lot of needs

4)Oakland: Only Possibility for McFadden, but they just resigned Fargas to a 3 year 12 million dollar contract. They also drafted michael bush last year and have a sh!t load of needs. After signing Jamarcus Russel to such a huge guaranteed contract last year can they afford to put this much money into RB with a lot of other glaring needs.

5) Kansas City: Unless they plan on Trading Larry Johnson which I havent read or heard about then I think its safe to say theyll go OL..

That brings us....
Jerry Jones gets value and maybe even knows we would prefer someone else bc of the money in TJ and Leon. We trade 6th overall for 22nd and 28th overall...even if we got 22nd and 3rd this year and some picks next year 2nd and or whatever would equal out next year I would be happy bc I think anyone whos researched this draft knows it is DEFINITELY not top heavy, there is a ton of talent scattered in the later rounds I think a 3rd rounder is key but hope for the 2 1sts. this is what I would do with them....

1a) Kentwan Balmer DE
1b) James Hardy WR
2) Antoine Cason CB
4) Bruce Davis OLB
6) Brad Cottam TE
7) Mike Dragosavich P

1st a Punter DRAFTED I know? Ben Graham is on the outs and I wanted to have a little fun...1a) helps our lack of depth for the future at DE...Coleman is 31 Ellis is a bad fit and 32 CJ Mosley is a spot player...We need help and Herushes the passer and has great size for the position.
1b) Big Red zone target. wwe cuked in the red zone last year and he could also take pressure off of Coles and Cotchery...Not a true #1 but still has enough speed to be close and the size weve been lacking since keyshawn.
2)Cason has the second best hands for corners in the draft next to IMO Cromartie...I think he is a prototypical #2 corner...speed isnt everything look at Justin Miller he sucks at CB i think he and Revis make a great tandem as revis doesnt have great hands...
4) I would like to see the jets get another 4th and a 5th for robertson at some time this offseason...But the pick is self explanitory Davis is a hard worker a guy who if you say he cant he does it and I think we need some depth for the future at OLB. Putting that much money into a guy like gholston as well as pace although a leathal combo...they dramatically effect plays (sacks and dont deny thats what its about bc thats what get them pais) about 15 times a year between them so no I dont want that much money in that position RIGHT NOW. If we had another pick Id debate between BEau Bell and Owen Schmidt.
6)I love his size and hes a high effort guy and another red zone target. 68 270. You dont like it?
7)Punter Like i said I was having fun.

If i were to change it, it would be 1a) for cromartie bc I love him and 2 for dre moore although I think thats a big reach for him. I think were not touching the OL in the draft bc of Bender and wade smith on our roster. I believe we invested the money hoping it would work and putting more in this year would be a waste so next year if this experiment with the FA OLmen doesnt work out which I doubt or we see the need to improve bender woody moore maybe even faneca then we draft.

TOP NEEDS NOW: WR,CB,34DE,ILB,OLB,RB,

I think we have an obligation moving forward to stay away from top draft picks and perhaps trading down or out of picks for future draft picks bc it seems we like the idea of investing heavily in the draft one year and FA the next and that does help the cap. I would love to trade robertson as i said for a 4th and a 5th this year then our 1st this year and one of our 4ths for dallas' 1st 3rd and 5th or theyre 1st and picks for next year (look how great it worked for the patriots and cowboys).

I know a lot of people doubt the money spent but it was in the right places and I read an article about our cap status and Bill Parcells called Mike Tannenbaum a cap genius considering the deals done this year and his cap work in the past after parcells left the organization in shambles CAP WISE. Moving forward we have space to work with and I like the players we have to utilize as well. I think we went from a bottom of the NFL team to middle of the pack over 48 hours the draft could boost us more and so could overachieving.

Im pumped and the cynics to our deals dont just say youre crazy and that the deals were bad tell me why bc Ive seen a lot of your posts just saying youre crazy the deals were terrible I DONT KNOW IF I LIKE THEM...shut up. Take a stand first of all and second of all if you cant even do that ON A BLOG NO LESS show some evidence even if its a platitude of a statement....Everyone likes responses not stupid posts just saying i disagree.

Jets in 08 = 8-8 today we'll see if they improve more after April 26th and 27th

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 03-05-2008 at 01:28 AM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh. I didn't realize the Fargas contract was that small. Now I'm even more convinced that McFadden will be taken by the Raiders, barring Dorsey or Ellis putting on an absolute show.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:23 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

I had mentioned earlier that now that most of their gaping needs are addressed that I could see them trading down. However IMO Gholston and Mcfadden would be hard to pass up. Best case scenario is that Ryan falls to us at 6 (meaning the 2 longs, McFadden & Gholston are all gone) and someone is hot after him and gives us a boat load of picks...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought we had an extra pick from the Pete Kendall trade.

Quote:
In exchange for Kendall, who has 156 career N.F.L. starts, the Jets will receive either a fifth-round draft pick in 2008 or a fourth-rounder in 2009.
Anyone know what we're getting?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
I thought we had an extra pick from the Pete Kendall trade.

Anyone know what we're getting?
We'll be getting a 4th next year.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

I was going to quote Hcbrad but he wrote a novel so ill just say im following up on what he wrote.

I can agree more with you with the fact that Jerry Jones is goin to put our balls in a vice and squeeze until we trade. He wants McFadden and it doesn't take an idiot to realize that. I don't mind the idea of trading down, but I dont just want 2 late firsts. Call me greedy, or call me what you choose, but I dont even mind the idea of trading our first and 2 of the 3 4th rounders to Dallas for 2 firsts a 2nd and if we can a 3rd. Not only does this allow us to stock up on picks but we can get true system guys. So what do you guys think about this possibly:

1a) Balmer
1b) James Hardy
2a) Cliff Avril
2b) Antoine Cason
3) Jon Goff

Via BoneKrusher
Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I'm glad to see you include Jonathon Goff. At one point of the season he was a late 1st to early 2nd rounder and then he just fell. I think he'd be a great fit to add depth to LB. Right now we've got Harris, Barton, Pace, Kassell, Thomas, and Bowens. Chatham will retire and I haven't heard anything about us resigning Hobson.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I wonder if Andre Woolfork can work his way into the rotation at CB. He had potential maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

i think that there is a great chance the raiders draft mcfadden regardless of fargas and michael bush...michael bush is still a huge question mark because of his leg, and although him and fargas could form a decent duo, mcfadden is much better than both and he and fargas could form a grreat duo with bush as insurance and possibly a long term solution (him and mcfadden would make a great duo if bush can get past his leg injury)...however, unless im wrong, lamont jordan and dominic rhodes are still on their roster, and i know they were both expected to be cut, does anybody konw the status of that?

but that draft that hcbrad made would be great, even though i dont think davis will be left in the 4th and i highly doubt cottam in the 6th, but maybe im just being pessimistic, but either way i think balmer would be a great pick if we were to trade down AND DRC, mckelvin, and jenkins are all gone...but i do love ben graham haha

i also do really like the draft that youngnastyman made but again only if the 3 CBs i mentioned are gone

i alwasy thought the 4th for kendall was this years draft but i guess not

and as for woolfolk, if he could live up to his 1st round potential, thatd be amazing but idk how likely that is, as someone mentioned he was cut from the titans who kinda need CBs
Old 03-05-2008, 04:05 PM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

ncstateviking hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

can we have robertson play end now that we have jenkins?
ncstateviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Huh. I guess a Jets' veteran is angry that we're paying guys that aren't even on the team yet big money while the guys on the team are getting screwed. Doesn't sound good team chemistry-wise. Looks like this could be a bigger screw up than we anticipated if there aren't immediate results and/or contracts being handed out to current Jets players.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:15 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

...Actually, now that I think about it, I don't really care. No one on the team beyond our young guys really matter, and I imagine this is someone like Baker or Coles. Most of our veterans haven't really come off as "high character" guys so I wouldn't really care if they left. If we sign Rhodes, I don't think anyone else really matters. It's too bad we couldn't trade Pennington and Coles for Roy Williams.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
...Actually, now that I think about it, I don't really care. No one on the team beyond our young guys really matter, and I imagine this is someone like Baker or Coles. Most of our veterans haven't really come off as "high character" guys so I wouldn't really care if they left. If we sign Rhodes, I don't think anyone else really matters. It's too bad we couldn't trade Pennington and Coles for Roy Williams.
This is hands down Laverneus Coles because he is the one who wanted a contract extension and wanted more money and is upset it wasn't him. Also he is the one that hated going to training camp. I can see mangini not takin much more from him so I wouldn't be surprised if they shut his mouth and address reciever in the draft.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

yeah i definitely think its coles, and i laughed when i read that even though it is kind of bad for the chemistry and everyitng i found it kinda funny when putting it in the situation at hand, and i agree resigning rhodes now is crucial and it doesnt sound so good so far

and as for robertson, i wouldnt mind keeping him if and only if we can restructure his deal, i would rather see him go because i think its somewhere around 8.5 mil that gets freed up but if we cant trade him i think we should cut him unless he agrees to restructure
Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

edit: nevermind
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I understand why they are upset about the spending, but they should be happy that the FO is actually trying to improve the team.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

yeah serioulsy, how does 4 wins make them deserve more money...if they had just played better, maybe all this money wouldnt have to be thrown around
Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Huh. I guess a Jets' veteran is angry that we're paying guys that aren't even on the team yet big money while the guys on the team are getting screwed. Doesn't sound good team chemistry-wise. Looks like this could be a bigger screw up than we anticipated if there aren't immediate results and/or contracts being handed out to current Jets players.
We probably wouldn't be on such a spending spree had the vets performed better at led us to a winning record. After going 4-12, this really shouldn't be an issue... they shouldn't be whining.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Quote:
1a) Kentwan Balmer DE
1b) James Hardy WR
2) Antoine Cason CB
4) Bruce Davis OLB
6) Brad Cottam TE
7) Mike Dragosavich P
If we trade down, I'd like to see us take Quentin Groves.

And as you said Cromartie would be tempting if he was avail at the 1a pick.

Regardless, I'd be pretty pleased with this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
yeah serioulsy, how does 4 wins make them deserve more money...if they had just played better, maybe all this money wouldnt have to be thrown around
haha, you beat me to it... as showed in my post, I feel pretty much the same way