Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
i know that mangini loves tutt, but i am all for getting rid of him and draft a FB like owen schmitt or peyton hillis on day 2 if the value is there (preferably 4th or 5th round)
I think there is room for Tutt and another FB even if we draft another RB. Its not uncommon for teams to have a total of 6 RBs on the roster (2 fbs). Plus Tutt is a good special teamer and gets time at h-back.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

when looking at the jets site, i found somehting interesting...stacey tutt is not listed on their roster, even though when i looked aroudn the internet i found this
Quote:
Tutt was re-signed by the Jets to an exclusive-rights contract on February 29, 2008.
so i dont really know whast that means but well see i guess

also they spelled tony richardson as tony richadson on the roster

also i found that hank poteat was listed on their roster, however espn has him listed as a FA

im a little confused...can anybody clear up either of these issues?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

and i also found out that tutt was a college QB at richmond, jsut thoguht that was interesting
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't really go off of the their site because I don't know how often they update it and exactly how they decide if the guys on the roster.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I heard we're after ben utecht to compliment baker if we dont sign him I like th 67 TE from Tenn....THOUGHTS? cottam

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
I heard we're after ben utecht to compliment baker if we dont sign him I like th 67 TE from Tenn....THOUGHTS? cottam
i know he visited this past week..i feel he would be a definite upgrade at TE, but i also dont know how utecht's visits with other teams went...we will have to wait and see.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

according to CBS Gholston ran a 4.58 forty and had a 42 inch vertical leap in his pro day. I do not normally base all my opinion on a workout/combine but that is pretty darn impressive. If hes there at 6 he is ours!

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10696184/rss
Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh. I guess I forgot to post it here. But in any case, it'd be awfully funny if we didn't get a chance at Gholston because we didn't let Miami have Pace.

Right now we should all be praying that Dorsey and Ryan absolutely tear their Pro Days up.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...376#post943376

Chatman signs with the jets
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

from a few posts ago...that Stacey Tutt isnt on the roster...you also wont find Justin Miller both are or were on the Injury reserve tab on the jets site.

Tutt is listed as a FB and I think is loved by mangini

Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 AM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

like i said before, i agree with utecht or cottam

about gholston, when we signed pace i thought about that, liek had we let miami have him, they prob wouldnt have gone gholston, and i definitely would want gholston over pace, so we may have screwed ourselves there

as for chatman, i know he showed promise last year, but idk aobut that signing, i wouldve liked to draft a RB this year since its such a deep class (i know that we still can but i think it lowers the chances)

as for tutt, yeah i htink mangini loves him too
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

I dont really understand the Chatman signing. In my opinion the signing of Chatman means that more than likely we will not draft McFadden. It is looking like it is Gholston or trade down for us. Somebody pointed to the PACE signing as us forcing Miami to draft Gholston, which is probably correct. We can also point to that week 17 win over KC as another factor.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

For anyone that has not listened to Scott Wright's podcast on the radio show he has been promoting on his main page I highly suggest you give last weeks a listen.

http://nick8.surfernetwork.com/Media.../Draft3508.mp3

He spends a good amount of his hour, probably at least 20 minutes, talking about how the Jet's FA signings have effected their draft status. He really seems set on ruling Gholston completely out for the Jets.

I downloaded it to my iPod and it's a good listen. That same site has another podcast from last week that talks strictly about the Jets which I plan on listening to. If you have free time, it's worth a listen.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yous guys are gonna be so much improved from last season. If you guys draft Gholston, your defense would be thtough the roof.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
Yous guys are gonna be so much improved from last season. If you guys draft Gholston, your defense would be thtough the roof.
i don't want to get my hopes up, but yeah, if we draft gholston, we are going to have a sick defense..all we really need is to have someone step up at the other CB position. what i am worried about is our QB and WR situation, and i think we got robbed with the whole vilma trade. other than that, its been a fun off season.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

We could have a solid team all around, but if we don't have a QB, well, this season is going to be very hard to watch considering all the moves we made in FA.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

hopefully the improved line and runnign game (faneca, woody, richardson, bill callahan) will take pressure off the QB and let them just manage the game...which i think could lead to pennington being the starting QB, as he is a better game manager, and can better help coles stay happy (unless he keeps throwing up those floaters like last year, but i kon before taht they ahd great chemistry), but well see, we still have a lot more to go before we figrue that out
Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Alex Down you need to stop readin Gary Meyers from the Daily News and Yasinkas from Espn buddy. QB while improtant is not the single most important position on the field. Its not one position but look at OL and DL working as ONE unit that is the most important thing. Look at Dilfer raven 2001. Look at Johnson Bucs 2002. QBs who were at best middle of the road.

I found that Clemens needs time to develop and we're going to be a running team. So we keep Chad as long as he's effective running the play fake or as long as it takes to develop clemens and then as long as we have a playmaker 65 WR for Clemens I believe he's going to be our guys for a while. Pennington will also benefit from a big WR and a running game as well as the OL. It makes sense for the franchise.

Chad is effective we just cant expect him to be 65 235lbs laser rocket arm QB. He is a GREAT game manager. Lets use it properly

Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Alex Down you need to stop readin Gary Meyers from the Daily News and Yasinkas from Espn buddy. QB while improtant is not the single most important position on the field. Its not one position but look at OL and DL working as ONE unit that is the most important thing. Look at Dilfer raven 2001. Look at Johnson Bucs 2002. QBs who were at best middle of the road.
I never said we needed an Pro Bowl or near that level QB nor did I say it was the most important position. I understand that the FA signings will take a lot of pressure and help whoever is at QB for us this year.

Like I said, we have just put a lot into FA this year without a clearly defined or proven signal caller to lead the team. I'm not ready to start making predictions yet, but if Pennington can't be healthy, and Clemens doesn't progress much more then what he has shown, we could be in for a long, or just dissapointing year. I don't know why thats hard to understand.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I for one hope that Gholston and Pace can become what Dallas has with Ware and Ellis. That means teams would shy a TE to one side and a RB to the other leaving the 3 interior linemen to block whoever else is coming. Plus that takes out 2 more players away from passing options. If Pace and Gholston can draw double teams our defense will be deadly. Our sack and interception totals will go way up compared to last year.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
I for one hope that Gholston and Pace can become what Dallas has with Ware and Ellis. That means teams would shy a TE to one side and a RB to the other leaving the 3 interior linemen to block whoever else is coming. Plus that takes out 2 more players away from passing options. If Pace and Gholston can draw double teams our defense will be deadly. Our sack and interception totals will go way up compared to last year.
i would love that and htikn that bryan thomas would also really help out in spelling pace and gholston (especially while gholston is learnign the OLB positiont becuase he will probably be tired out as he is used to plyaing closer to the line, and in effect the QB) and i think pace coudl be used inside too with thomas and gholston outside...but thats a hell of a lot of money invested in OLBs
Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Yeah that's a good point. I personally am hoping we trade down. Then we can take a guy like Groves in the 1st and still upgrade WR and CB in the 2nd or 3rd.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I never said we needed an Pro Bowl or near that level QB nor did I say it was the most important position. I understand that the FA signings will take a lot of pressure and help whoever is at QB for us this year.

Like I said, we have just put a lot into FA this year without a clearly defined or proven signal caller to lead the team. I'm not ready to start making predictions yet, but if Pennington can't be healthy, and Clemens doesn't progress much more then what he has shown, we could be in for a long, or just dissapointing year. I don't know why thats hard to understand.
i agree, all these FA pick-ups dont mean s**t if there is not a QB under center. im sick of chad's dinking and dunking and clemens didn't impress me..hopefully for all of our sakes either one of them shut me up and get us to the promise land..the difference with the qbs of the 00 ravens or the 02 bucs and chad is that they had a QB that can actually throw a pass more than 20 yards without the ball looking like a flying canned ham...and both teams had above average running games with #1 ranked Defenses..the jets dont have either.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I was going to break down why Ellis wouldn't be a great idea for the Jets, but now with so much happening, its rather pointless in making a huge writeup about it.

In an unrelated note, im a big fan of Chatman....but why? This didn't make any sense to me. Leon Washington needs more touches, not less. Why crowd that backfield? I didn't like that move by the Jets.

Im curious if some of you want DMac. If I were a Jets fan, id be pissed in getting him. You need a rushbacker, and one is going to fall in your lap. Can't pass that up.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Well, I was going to break down why Ellis wouldn't be a great idea for the Jets, but now with so much happening, its rather pointless in making a huge writeup about it.

In an unrelated note, im a big fan of Chatman....but why? This didn't make any sense to me. Leon Washington needs more touches, not less. Why crowd that backfield? I didn't like that move by the Jets.

Im curious if some of you want DMac. If I were a Jets fan, id be pissed in getting him. You need a rushbacker, and one is going to fall in your lap. Can't pass that up.
Agree that I'd be pissed if we got DMac.

If anything, I think this move hinders the progression and touches of Jones, not Washington. I'd still expect Washington to get 5-12 touches every game, Chatman another 5-10, and Jones 15-20. I think this was a great signing, in all honesty, I don't think it takes away touches from anyone, I think it just adds touches that the Jets will give RB's in general. Clearly they have (on paper) improved tremendously in the run blocking game, so running was already going to be the main focus of our offense, I think the addition of Chatman was a great one, because now we've got a 3-back system with 3 very capable and very different yet complimentary backs who are all capable of assuming 10+ carries a game and being successful on the ground. I'm loving what we're doing right now. I think we've only got a few needs at the moment...I'm still not sold on playoffs next year, but I'm loving our chances to be huge contenders in two to three years.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote