Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That'd be great. It'd provide depth as well as a good mentor for Revis, Miller, Coleman, and possibly a rookie.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
Ya, sounds good.

Little surprising news that i just heard per the nfl network: the jets plan to host free agent CB ty law in the upcoming days. Not sure why he'd rather come to the jets than the pats, but if he comes i would like it for a very small contract, which most likely won't sit with him.

He's a good guy to pair up with revis considering they are very close, but i just don't see him coming here. I wouldn't wanna give him more than a 1 year contract and im shocked the pats havn't signed him to one of their veteran paycut type of contracts.
thats weird, the other day i mentioned that to my friend, like why hasnt ty law even been mentioned at all in free agency for any team? and then thoguth about signing him...i would like the move but agree not for very long...he could defintiely start across from revis and let miller/coleman develop and then the question would be where to draft a CB becuase it woudl create some clutter, especially with the woolfolk signing (idk if hell make the team when the time comes) and with barret still on the team (whats his deal? why is he still here? we really have to cut him already)
Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Not sure why he'd rather come to the jets than the pats
maybe it was mangini that he loved...mangini did coach him as DB coach for a while

somehting that i just htought about though...maybe hes just doing this in an effort to get the pats to step up and come with a good offer soon
Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i heard from a friend that the jets and eagles were in talks for a trade: lito shepard for coles- but the jets were the ones who declined...just wanted to know if any one heard anything..
Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
i heard from a friend that the jets and eagles were in talks for a trade: lito shepard for coles- but the jets were the ones who declined...just wanted to know if any one heard anything..
I would definitely take that but then we'd have to take a WR day 1
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think I'd do that trade to be honest...

That would then make the likes of Justin Miller or David Barrett (preferably Barett) expendable for a pick...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
I think I'd do that trade to be honest...

That would then make the likes of Justin Miller or David Barrett (preferably Barett) expendable for a pick...
I don't want to trade Justin Miller. He's got so much potential and was apparently improving before his injury. I doubt we trade him though because Mangini has a man-crush on him.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
I hadn't heard that, but it's very interesting. It would leave a gaping hole at WR and it would certainly need to be addressed in the draft.

I don't think this is the last trade rumor we'll hear either. I have a feeling that amongst coles, pennington and drob that one of the 3 won't be with us this coming season.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

i would relaly like that, and then want to sign bryant johnson and still draft one on day 1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Marginal to moderate upgrade at CB and a gaping hole @ WR is not a good trade off. Even drafting a WR on Day one doesnt necessarily mean he can fill Coles' shoes.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
I would definitely take that but then we'd have to take a WR day 1
Probably day two as well. People have been talking about a Laveranues Coles trade for a while, but his absence would leave a huge gaping hole in the offense and would turn the Jets from what will be a run first offense into a run only offense.

Lito Sheppard would be a great addition. He's a better corner than Coles is a WR IMO. But the Jets need Coles more.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

also, just to throw it out there, supposedly utecht and the jets are close to an agreement....any more rumors? thoughts? by the way, how do you attend the draft anyway? is it a lottery, first come first serve, buy tickets, etc? just wondering. thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
also, just to throw it out there, supposedly utecht and the jets are close to an agreement....any more rumors? thoughts? by the way, how do you attend the draft anyway? is it a lottery, first come first serve, buy tickets, etc? just wondering. thanks
Not sure if they changed it, but it's usually been first come first serve. However, i beleive they have rooms you can rent in advance.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

i was thiking about this before, because i think it coud really effect where we go with the pick if...
lets say the falcons dont take matt ryan, what aare the odds the chiefs gtake him?

im not saying i think/want us to go matt ryan, but if gholston/c long/run DMC are all gone at 6, matt ryan would give us the best chance to trade down
Old 03-12-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
i was thiking about this before, because i think it coud really effect where we go with the pick if...
lets say the falcons dont take matt ryan, what aare the odds the chiefs gtake him?

im not saying i think/want us to go matt ryan, but if gholston/c long/run DMC are all gone at 6, matt ryan would give us the best chance to trade down
i could see a team wanting to trade up with us to grab ryan...minnesota, detroit, chicago, baltimore are desperate for a qb..
Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
i could see a team wanting to trade up with us to grab ryan...minnesota, detroit, chicago, baltimore are desperate for a qb..
but what do you tink about the chiefs odds of drafting him are
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
but what do you tink about the chiefs odds of drafting him are
I think pretty low. There's too many picks on the board that make a lot of sense for them; sedrick ellis, jake long and ever dorsey if he's there. If atlanta doesn't take ryan, than i'd bet 99% chance he falls to us, which we would than trade down. If ryan does pass by atlanta, I could see oakland or KC trying to trade down, but i don't understand why a team would do that when the know they could most likely trade up to the jets or pats.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
I think pretty low. There's too many picks on the board that make a lot of sense for them; sedrick ellis, jake long and ever dorsey if he's there. If atlanta doesn't take ryan, than i'd bet 99% chance he falls to us, which we would than trade down. If ryan does pass by atlanta, I could see oakland or KC trying to trade down, but i don't understand why a team would do that when the know they could most likely trade up to the jets or pats.
agreed unless they are IN LOVE with ryan and are afraid taht somebody else may trade up before they can
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I made a top 10 mock. I have the Jets trading with Carolina for their 1st and 2nd for our 1st so they can take McFadden. I'm not sure who'd we take at 13, possibly Harvey, Kelly, or perhaps Jenkins.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

"Apparently, NFL Radio’s Solomon Wilcotts is reporting that the Jets and Broncos are back around the negotiation table, working “feverishly” to try and hammer out a deal for Dewayne Robertson."

That would be fantastic news. It would save us roughly 7ish million on the cap this year and we would possibly be getting some picks for it. I am completely against foxworth being part of the trade; he's an RFA and is going to command a new contract, which i don't like giving a player who's never been more than a nickel cornerback. If he has to be in the trade than it's ok, but i would just assume get a pick or two for him.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
"Apparently, NFL Radio’s Solomon Wilcotts is reporting that the Jets and Broncos are back around the negotiation table, working “feverishly” to try and hammer out a deal for Dewayne Robertson."

That would be fantastic news. It would save us roughly 7ish million on the cap this year and we would possibly be getting some picks for it. I am completely against foxworth being part of the trade; he's an RFA and is going to command a new contract, which i don't like giving a player who's never been more than a nickel cornerback. If he has to be in the trade than it's ok, but i would just assume get a pick or two for him.
i really hope this goes down, wiht or without foxworth...clears up space and dupms a player that doesnt benefit us and likely wont in the 3-4
Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jets fans...

There are quite a few of you that are active on NFLDC. And, most of you know what the organization needs to be successful.

Dirty Thirty, ATL and D-Unit started a mock Madden league. Not only will you control the team through the draft and FA, but you'll lead your team through the 2008 season. The rosters are updated, depth charts are submitted and the games are simulated.

The Jets are one of the few teams still available, and that surprises me. If interested, check out the thread: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ad.php?t=19373.

The draft is this Sunday. Sign up.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Cap: FA start: 28 mil Now: 4.5 mil

Long shot but I think Pennington should be traded draft day for a pick. He woudl garner a at least a 3rd rd pick as the dolphins traded a 3rd for Cade McNown. Chad should garner a 3rd this year and a conditional next year (late rd prob). I fthats done we cna get a quality young player in hte 3rd with no Jets baggage and cut about 5 mil off of our cap.

DRob Trade: 7 mil off cap ----Foxworth and 5th Rd
Chad Trade: 5 mil off cap ---- 3rd Rd Pick
Barret Cut: 1 mil off cap

Thats 13 million to work with.

With that I would sign what I think is an inevitable cap casulaty Chris Simms. The Bucs just traded for Brian Griese and now have 5 total Qbs on ther active roster. I think it would be a great story: Simms QB for other NY team (backup and or competeing)and hes both experienced and young. He could be signed reasonably as he hasn't played in a while and he will be a backup. It would allow the team to get younger and save money as well as move in a new direction without taking a HUGE flyer on a top rd QB. He's less than 2 years removed from winning the NFC South with the Bucs and has a live arm, good backup prospect will give enough security but not threaten the job that belongs to Clemens THIS YEAR. He could potentially start (and more impt WIN)if Clemens doesnt develope or gets hurt.

We could then do something like this in the draft...Thoughts?

Trade 6th overall for 22nd and 28th picks
1a) Kentwan Balmer-DE
1b) Quentin Groves-OLB
2) James Hardy-WR
3) Trae Williams-CB
4a) Jonathan Goff-ILB
4b) Dexter Jackson-PR/WR
5) Jamie Silva-SS
6) Bernard Morris-QB
7) Joey Haynos-TE

This will change a lot before our draft later I just wanted to see thoughts on the above moves. IMO this draft would return us to our style proving we believe to build a franchise through the draft. According to escalators and previous precedents this would leave us with 3-9 million dollars under the cap. Depending on if we sign Utecht.

PS: dont love the potential Law signing, would prefer cutting barret bringing in Foxworth and drafting a 3rd - 5th rd CB whos intelligent hard working and willing to play the run. They could compete with Miller for #2 CB spot. If we sign Law it better be 1 mil base and all incentive laden. like a 3 mil bonus if he picks Brady 6 times in the season.

Again Let me know thoughts.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 03-13-2008 at 03:25 PM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Cap: FA start: 28 mil Now: 4.5 mil

Long shot but I think Pennington should be traded draft day for a pick. He woudl garner a at least a 3rd rd pick as the dolphins traded a 3rd for Cade McNown. Chad should garner a 3rd this year and a conditional next year (late rd prob). I fthats done we cna get a quality young player in hte 3rd with no Jets baggage and cut about 5 mil off of our cap.

DRob Trade: 7 mil off cap ----Foxworth and 5th Rd
Chad Trade: 5 mil off cap ---- 3rd Rd Pick
Barret Cut: 1 mil off cap

Thats 13 million to work with.

With that I would sign what I think is an inevitable cap casulaty Chris Simms. The Bucs just traded for Brian Griese and now have 5 total Qbs on ther active roster. I think it would be a great story: Simms QB for other NY team (backup and or competeing)and hes both experienced and young. He could be signed reasonably as he hasn't played in a while and he will be a backup. It would allow the team to get younger and save money as well as move in a new direction without taking a HUGE flyer on a top rd QB. He's less than 2 years removed from winning the NFC South with the Bucs and has a live arm, good backup prospect will give enough security but not threaten the job that belongs to Clemens THIS YEAR. He could potentially start (and more impt WIN)if Clemens doesnt develope or gets hurt.

We could then do something like this in the draft...Thoughts?

Trade 6th overall for 22nd and 28th picks
1a) Kentwan Balmer-DE
1b) Quentin Groves-OLB
2) James Hardy-WR
3) Trae Williams-CB
4a) Jonathan Goff-ILB
4b) Dexter Jackson-PR/WR
5) Jamie Silva-SS
6) Bernard Morris-QB
7) Joey Haynos-TE

This will change a lot before our draft later I just wanted to see thoughts on the above moves. IMO this draft would return us to our style proving we believe to build a franchise through the draft. According to escalators and previous precedents this would leave us with 3-9 million dollars under the cap. Depending on if we sign Utecht.

PS: dont love the potential Law signing, would prefer cutting barret bringing in Foxworth and drafting a 3rd - 5th rd CB whos intelligent hard working and willing to play the run. They could compete with Miller for #2 CB spot. If we sign Law it better be 1 mil base and all incentive laden. like a 3 mil bonus if he picks Brady 6 times in the season.

Again Let me know thoughts.
i would love that offseason, but dont konw about the chris simms part just because hes a lefty and damien woody would be prtecting his blind side and hes inexpereinced at OT especially on the blind side...but other thatn that (i hope utecht is included) i think we could be a contender

as for the CB issue, i would want law or foxworth, but not both becaues then things would get crowded opposite revis (law, foxworth, milller all goign for #2 and we have coleman and woolfoolk who idk if will win the team) and i want to draft one...if i had to pik one i would probably rather law for a year because he can help in the developmnt of our yougn CBs and hes got ties to both mangini and revis
Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I thought that this was quite the inspirational piece given by our new hopefully soon to be probowl FB. He is a quality player who hasn't shown much deterioration and hopefully he can get us in the end zone more than last year.

“My charge now is getting our running backs across the water in New York and let’s break some rushing records over here as well,” he told newyorkjets.com on Tuesday. “With the two backs we have and what we’ve added in free agency, I think we have a good chance to lead the National Football League in rushing this year.”

“The number one thing is to lead by example. If it’s after practice running sprints, I’m not saying, ‘Hey, guys, you have to do this.’ It’s 'We need to do it and I’ll be out there,' ” he said. “The young guys might be in front of me, but I’m going to go out there and bust my butt. “Don’t ask guys to do things that you’re not willing to do yourself. Give it everything you have and let guys know you care about them. And that’s another thing I hope we can create in New York. When we cross that field, it’s a family. We love each other, we care about each other and we want to see everyone succeed.”