Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-15-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Carlson is going to be a great day 2 steal. He would do well for the Jets.
I agree. I have no idea why he seems to falling on recent draft boards. I guess his straight-lined speed wasn't great, but he looked very fluid and smooth in his pass catching drills and his lateral mobility seems to be more than adequate..it's not justin keller type quickness, but it's nothing to laugh it. Notre dame has been producing some pretty good TEs the last few years and i think carlson should follow in the footsteps, he just seems like a football player.

I also like martin rucker a lot, but i would prefer carlson.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Carlson more than I liked Anthony Fasano, honestly.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

carlson and fasano to me are the same "prospect". i think both can thrive in the right environment. Zach Miller outplayed Olsen this year, and he ran a 4.9 i believe. Carlson won't stretch the seem, but not all TEs have to do that to be effective.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I like Carlson more than I liked Anthony Fasano, honestly.
As do I. I like carlson a lot as a true football player and think he'd be a good fit in mangini's system. I never wanted vernon davis when a lot of people thought he was gonna be a jet, i just prefer the gritty athletic football players who'll be an assett in the running game and still be able to go out for passes.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 AM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

yeah i wasnt saying that i dont think baker is a good recieving TE i just think we should have two TEs who can catch, especially if baker leaves if we cant settle the contract disputes

and i also agree taht carlson would be great and i would really want him if we can get him day 2
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 AM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wtf, Why Are The Jets Close To Signing Bubba Franks? He's A More Overrated, More Injury Prone, Older Version Of Chris Baker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whatever happened to Darnell Bing the old USC safety? I heard that we signed him a few weeks back, but I haven't heard anything about him.

EDIT: Just found it on ESPN.

Quote:
Jets January 15: Signed running back Alvin Banks, safety Darnell Bing, wide receivers David Clowney, Shaine Smith and Marco Thomas, cornerback Manny Collins, offensive linemen Stanley Daniels and Wayne Hunter, defensive tackle Thomas Johnson, linebacker Jerry Mackey and quarterback Brett Ratliff to future contracts.
Probably a practice squad guy next year, but you never know.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
Wtf, Why Are The Jets Close To Signing Bubba Franks? He's A More Overrated, More Injury Prone, Older Version Of Chris Baker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He would most likely be signing a small contract, but i heard he's a favorite to sign with seattle. I wouldn't mind it, becuase the jets appear dead-set on running a two TE set, which i like a lot. Franks is still a good blocking TE and we will now have the ability to force our will upon the other team;

franks-Dbrick-Faneca-Mangold-Moore-Woody

..............................Trich
...............................TJ

This is an oline that should be able to pick up most 3rd&4th and shorts without QB sneaking or lobbing it to coles. I like the move, assuming it's not for any real money.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Whatever happened to Darnell Bing the old USC safety? I heard that we signed him a few weeks back, but I haven't heard anything about him.

He was only drafted a couple years ago and than was foolishly played out of position by the raiders. They tried playing him at OLB instead of his more natural position of safety and he kept getting injured; kind of like willie beamen from any given sunday. He than landed with the 49ers and i remember nolan saying he liked him a lot, but needed to see more of him and i think he was cut for roster space, but im not sure.

I'm assuming nothing has been talked about him, because of all the FA signings and the draft coming up. Once the preseason starts i would be we'll hear a lot of this kid; he has all the potential in the world. For this year i would hope he could atleast be a servicable backup and challenge for playing next year or so.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:17 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Well, we can add on bubba franks to the list.

"Jets agreed to terms with TE Bubba Franks, formerly of the Packers.
Franks, 30, caught 18 passes for 132 yards (7.2 YPC) and three TDs in 2007 as Donald Lee's backup. He's slowed down quite a bit, but can still help in the run game. Franks will be the Jets' No. 2 tight end behind Chris Baker."

It seems as though mangini is dead set on running a multiple TE set and being able to oppose his will on other teams dline in the running game. Oline needed help, but now a pretty good runblocking TE and tony richardson, it seems as though he's not content running trick plays on 3rd&4th and short and wants to be able to pick them up by playing a little hardnosed football.
It's also a pretty telling sign that he wants to gain a little height in the redzone as well; utecht was 6'6 and franks is 6'6, i would imagine carlson or rucker would fit in nice in the later rounds.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
i dont mind it, hes expereinced, a redzone threat, and a good blocker...plus he can provide solid veteran leadership adn konws how to be a security blanket for his QB, somethign clemens may need in his development
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:

i think bing could be a great player for us, hopefully his lack of size and speed dont really hurt him too much, cuz watching him at USC he is a great football player, and i loved him in college and was very high on him going into the draft...i think elam, smith, and bing are 3 great safetiesw that we can play alonside rhodes
Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
i think bing could be a great player for us, hopefully his lack of size and speed dont really hurt him too much, cuz watching him at USC he is a great football player, and i loved him in college and was very high on him going into the draft...i think elam, smith, and bing are 3 great safetiesw that we can play alonside rhodes
I think you may have forgotten just how big he was, if anything he is considered a tad too large to play safety by some's measures. He's 6'2 220 and you might have heard he was undersized from one of the raiders papers or blogs, but that was because they tried him out at OLB, becuase he was such a good tackler and hard hitter. That lead to inaffective play and him getting injured.

His straight lined speed isn't terrible, the only thing he needs to work on is his coverage ability. He is a true football player, but he just needs some work from a positions coach, which mangini and his crew should do wonders with him. I have some pretty big expectations in that he could be a solid backup this year.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the Madden League Draft, I chose Leodis McKelvin for you guys. Harvey, Rivers, and Groves were on the board, but I decided to chose McKelvin to pair with Revis. Yes, McFadden and Gholston were off the board too.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
In the Madden League Draft, I chose Leodis McKelvin for you guys. Harvey, Rivers, and Groves were on the board, but I decided to chose McKelvin to pair with Revis. Yes, McFadden and Gholston were off the board too.
Not my ideal pick, but barring a trade down there really is no ideal pick for us. I don't think rivers fits our scheme at all, but i know a couple jets fans like him (i drastically prefer his teamate maulaga, but of course he's not coming out this year). I'm not sure if the team is sold on going another CB this early in the draft again, considering they did last year and still have high hopes in justin miller. I know they jets had private workouts with groves and avril, but havn't heard anything about harvey.

McKelvin could easily be the BPA, but i think i might actually lean Limas Sweed in our case. I think Sweed would not only fit a top 15 talent in the draft, but fill a need as well. Most might not agree with me on that part.

This is one of those situations where i wouldn't be surprised to see the jets take less than value for someone wanting to trade up for dorsey or ellis in order to aquire more picks.

Good job though, thanks for the update.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I think you may have forgotten just how big he was, if anything he is considered a tad too large to play safety by some's measures. He's 6'2 220 and you might have heard he was undersized from one of the raiders papers or blogs, but that was because they tried him out at OLB, becuase he was such a good tackler and hard hitter. That lead to inaffective play and him getting injured.

His straight lined speed isn't terrible, the only thing he needs to work on is his coverage ability. He is a true football player, but he just needs some work from a positions coach, which mangini and his crew should do wonders with him. I have some pretty big expectations in that he could be a solid backup this year.
o wow your right, my bad...but yeah watchign him at USC he looked like he had a ton of potential as an NFL safety
Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
This is one of those situations where i wouldn't be surprised to see the jets take less than value for someone wanting to trade up for dorsey or ellis in order to aquire more picks.
yeah i completely agree, with all the money theyve dished out in FA, i doubt they really wanna pay for the 6th pick especially when there gettgin a player who doesnt have 6th pick talent
Old 03-17-2008, 01:26 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having computer problems so I haven't been on much, but is their a fascination amongst Jets fans with Sweed, or just because Scott has him rated as his top receiver? Because unquestionably in my mind of the top receivers in this class I'd take Malcolm Kelly (well solely based on talent I'd take Hardy, but I'm fairly sure it's a lock that they wouldn't draft him). I've just never really been impressed with Sweed and don't think he's done anything in the off-season for me to change that opinion.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

just read that troy brown is coming in for a visit today

i woudl like that signing, because 1. it would be sticking it to the patriots, 2. he has familiarity with mangini, 3. he has veteran experience and leadership, 4. he knows what it is like to play for a championship...and then from a skill standpoint, 5. he can provide play both WR/CB, both areas of need right now

although brinigng him in would crowd the WR position, it cant hurt to have that veteran leadership and experience to 1. play if we need him to and 2. mentor our young WR (cotch, stuckey, smith, and a WR if we draft one which we probably will)

also he can play CB, which would benefit us a lot because at CB we have mostly (if we cut barret then all) young players who (discluding revis) are fighting for starting and roster spots, and all of them could use some veteran mentoring

what would you guys htink about this signing?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we sign him for a cheap veterans contract then I say its a great signing. You can't find too many players that can provide depth at WR and CB (I can only think of a few). If he's good enough to get time then we play him and if not he adds depth, leadership, and special teams play. Sure you're taking a roster spot from a rookie or young guy but not necessarily. The young guy still can prove himself and beat out Brown.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Brown could be a good mentor to Brad Smith & any potential draft pick

Last edited by jmess15 : 03-18-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: wanted to change topic
jmess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
If we sign him for a cheap veterans contract then I say its a great signing. You can't find too many players that can provide depth at WR and CB (I can only think of a few). If he's good enough to get time then we play him and if not he adds depth, leadership, and special teams play. Sure you're taking a roster spot from a rookie or young guy but not necessarily. The young guy still can prove himself and beat out Brown.
i heard thats what they were discussing...
Quote:
But, surely, part of Brown’s attraction to Jets coach Eric Mangini and G.M. Mike Tannenbaum is that scooping Troy up could be a way to stick it to the Pats. And for that reason alone we wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Brown get a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, which will pay him $830,000 but cost only $445,000.
i would like the signing, especially because of the low cost
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Anyone see the new mock draft? Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Big fan actually. Not sure how the rest of the draft pans out, but if we can land a 34 DE developmental type guy like langford or trade up to get bryant and than land some OGs in lower rounds it would be a very succesfull draft. I am not huge on mcfadden, but if we take him than that means our FO thinks he's the real deal and based on their track record with judging top end talent, i would be quite happy. James Hardy may be considered a developmental WR, but I think he could have a big impact in the redzone his rookie year and evolve into a #1 for us, kind of similar to plaxico.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
about the 2nd roudn pick, i wouldnt mind or argue with the hardy pick, but i think we would have to strongly consider kentwan balmer with taht pick...hes a great 34 DE and im surprised he feel that far, becuase he is one of the gusy i would want to traget in the 1st round if we get to trade down